• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Road to PS5: Official Stream

Xenon

Reactions from the crowd after The Road to PS5

dSUwlDf.jpg

Jaxcellent

Wow that was alot of info, althogh interrsting, a console reveal would have been nice.

Pretty smart tech, make it 399, and really use the specs, make some awesome 1st party games that show what this beast can do.

It will probably put those patched up Xbone games we will see for the next two years to shame.

Sony will probably be cheaper and also have better looking games...
Interesting to see how this will pan out.

wintersouls

Can't wait for the memes. That presentation was one of the worst things I've sat through in years. I'll still buy it but damn......so bad.

It was the presentation of the GDC to announce some of the features of the console, not the official presentation of the console.
Some have not found out yet.

About power. They have invested a lot in the SSD, and it will show. I am not worried about TF, I am worried as I said before the conference the catalog and in that Sony will not disappoint.
Just because it's 2 TF less than xbox doesn't mean it's not a good monster.

Well that was a bit of a shit show.

Positives:
  • Not as weak as was feared.
  • Loading speeds are isanely fast, which means using that streaming tech they have for games like Horizon will potentially give them better results than the raw power might suggest
  • No proprietary expandable storage
  • PS4 backwards compatibility
  • The audio tech will be great for VR
  • Genuine differences in their and MS's approach this gen could well give much greater variation in games and features.
  • Definitely not just a more limited PC.
Negatives
  • Not insignificantly weaker than the XSX, both in the CPU and GPU. Definitely not good for multiplats.
  • That weakness is unlikely to mean a lower price tag given the other tech they focused on instead.
  • No backwards compatibility with PS1, 2 or 3, limited for PS4.
  • Less storage than XSX
Just bloody baffling:
  • Dry as buggery presentation. This should have been after a big flashy blowout, not the only thing they show.
  • No games. Seriously, thats the thing that always sets Playstation apart and wins them generation after generation. No one would give a shite about the power if we had an insane next gen sizzle reel and a first party exclusive reveal or two
  • Cleary no care taken to address the criticisms they've been receiving for the past few years, or actually compete.
  • No information on actual games or what their studios are doing with this tech.
  • No price.
  • No release date.
  • No addressing the coronavirus.
  • That sudden ending.
All in all, well at the moment I think I'm just going to put a few hundred more into my new laptop budget instead of getting either this or the XSX, then holding out for either the Switch 2 or PS5Pro before jumping to 9th gen.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It's like they thought they're they only company in the world to use solid storage to an advantage.
Funny thing is although PS5's SSD is super fast (double SeX), that's great and all, but then he says PCs will have 7gb/s SSDs later this year???

He could have just capped it and said PS5 has by far the fasted SSD and left it at that, or compare to current slower PC SSDs.

At least he's honest about it.

Allandor

What a shitty presentation. If that was really meant to be a GDC presentation it would have really sucked.
Doesn't the people attending GDC know about data redundancy? Or about RAM usage?
Or 3D Sound processing
I thought the time of the "new" Feature of processing 3D positional Sound was over with the Shape-processor in the xbox one.
And again, use RT for 3D Sound processing ... WTF?
He should have talked a bit more about their RT implementation and less about Sound processing.

Funny thing is although PS5's SSD is super fast (double SeX), that's great and all, but then he says PCs will have 7gb/s SSDs later this year???

He could have just capped it and said PS5 has by far the fasted SSD and left it at that, or compare to current slower PC SSDs.

At least he's honest about it.
Well, that's something that got me, too. But if you can upgrade with a m2 drive (well a compatible one) than speeds are more or less not guaranteed, because those speeds are normaly only available as far as the cache on the m2 drive is filled.

The 2.4GB/s microsoft spoke of was all time guaranteed speed. So a special module makes sense, but I really don't wont to see how pricey those things get.

Last edited:
I'm not saying Xbox won't have games, Sony just have the franchises that I'm most interested in.

I'm giving both consoles credit, and not downplaying either of them. Also, I'm not seeing the hyperbole in what I'm saying.

You said ' Series X better console for sure'. That's crazy when we havent seen what either can produce, the price, aesthetics and have no real understanding of each hardware.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
You seem like the only level headed person here. Very different approaches and will be interesting to see what happens. Its funny cause hearing Cerny explained the "benefits" of running at a higher speed sounded interesting to me, but for some, it just sounded like damage control.

I'm pretty satisfied by the specs. Wish they had games to show. But, they're close enough and the approaches are different, so those number may mean nothing. But I don't know, i'm not going to sit here an play armchair hardware engineer here.

It only sounded like damage control if you conveniently forget to factor in to whom that talk was intended.

Developers are more concerned with utility and efficiency than a flashy sales pitch!

SantaC

Well that was a bit of a shit show.

Positives:
  • Not as weak as was feared.
  • Loading speeds are isanely fast, which means using that streaming tech they have for games like Horizon will potentially give them better results than the raw power might suggest
  • No proprietary expandable storage
  • PS4 backwards compatibility
  • The audio tech will be great for VR
  • Genuine differences in their and MS's approach this gen could well give much greater variation in games and features.
  • Definitely not just a more limited PC.
Negatives
  • Not insignificantly weaker than the XSX, both in the CPU and GPU. Definitely not god for multiplats.
  • That weakness is unlikely to mean a lower price tag given the other tech they focused on instead.
  • No backwards compatibility with PS1, 2 or 3, limited for PS4.
  • Less storage than XSX
Just bloody baffling:
  • Dry as buggery presentation. This should have been after a big flashy blowout, not the only thing they show.
  • No games. Seriously, thats the thing that always sets Playstation apart and wins them generation after generation. No one would give a shite about the power if we had an insane next gen sizzle reel and a first party exclusive reveal or two
  • Cleary no care taken to address the criticisms they've been receiving for the past few years, or actually compete.
  • No information on actual games or what their studios are doing with this tech.
  • No price.
  • No release date.
  • Bo addressing the coronavirus.
  • That sudden ending.
All in all, well at the moment I think I'm just going to put a few hundred more into my new laptop budget instead of getting either this or the XSX, then holding out for either the Switch 2 or PS5Pro before jumping to 9th gen.
Sounds like 2021 to me.

CJY

Banned
You said ' Series X better console for sure'. That's crazy when we havent seen what either can produce, the price, aesthetics and have no real understanding of each hardware.

At the end of the day, I'm just a consumer of consoles and from where I am, Xbox looks like the better console. Doesn't mean it won't change, doesn't mean I will buy an Xbox, but based on how they are both marketing to me as a consumer, Xbox looks far more impressive, and I'm speaking as a massive PS die-hard. That's just the fact of the matter.

Sony need to do better in their marketing and comms.

Last edited:
Hopey hopefullness would have been Price / Date / Available to order now and a few game highlights.

Like most of the world, life is officially delayed. Time to read books, work on backlog.

Github was mostly correct then. They've just been able to clock it higher, so it comes to 10.3 TF.

I think Sony should've really tried to do more CUs, but it actually sounds like they didn't want to in part due to BC and cost. Don't feel too great about that. The SSD stuff is interesting, seems to be incredibly fast. So it will be cool to see how first party games can leverage that speed. But overall, the presentation was pretty boring, especially without any tech demos.

Microsoft is in a pretty good position for next gen. PS5 and XSX seem to be aiming for entirely different things, so it will be interesting to see what the general public will think. I think next gen will be extremely competitive, and it's good to see that MS has learned from all of their mistakes with last gen. Sony really needs to be careful with the pricing, especially with Lockhart.

It will be $399 I feel.

Ultimately, they opted for a smaller APU clocked higher. It's probably for cost reasons.

Shin

Banned
Consider 9 TF RDNA2 is equivalent to 11-12TF GCN, more than 6X the power of PS4 GPU, not counting the VRS and the FP16 switch, the nominal power of PS5 GPU is vast superior to PS4.

It's not PS5 is weak, is XSX that is a fucking monster.
No, it's what PS5 should have been also or at least 11.x
They pretty much fucked everything they possibly could and focused R&D on audio and the likes, like everyone is an audiophile.
The only positive take away for me from all this is the blazing fast SSD speed, that is quite an achievement I must say.

sircaw

Banned
Extremely happy with what i saw, should easily come in alot cheaper than the xbox.

That ssd is going to be the game changer in ways people don't even know about.

The first party is a massive pull for Sony. If Sony is cheaper by at least 100 they will win the generation.

If only $100 more gets you XSX people are gonna get it for their 3rd party games and Halo. PS5 will be a wait till whatever 1st party game comes out.

PS5 will most like with out a doubt outsell XSX worldwide but in the US XSX might take it back from Sony.

Bryank75

Banned
Consider 9 TF RDNA2 is equivalent to 11-12TF GCN, more than 6X the power of PS4 GPU, not counting the VRS and the FP16 switch, the nominal power of PS5 GPU is vast superior to PS4.

It's not PS5 is weak, is XSX that is a fucking monster.
Have to see if it translates to the games, I have a feeling that PS5 will still have far more technically impressive games. That and spending less time on a loading screen.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
This was suppose to be the GDC talk. If you didn't expect it to be nerdy AF after he said that... I don't know what to tell you. Also, they stated "Mark Cerny" would do a deep dive not "YouTube personalities" Let's face it, Mark Cerny is not a very charismatic guy, not at all, he explains all the nerdy shit.

Its not on the customer to understand al this, its just a bad decision from sony to have this as the big PS5 spec unviel, even if it is technical its reaching millions of people on social media.
They should of done a far simpler and casual version first and released this later.

Last edited:
Top Bottom