• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Rock Picks His Top Choice to Play Shazam, Armie Hammer

Link. Original source is a youtube video but I thought text might be better. Video is at the link.

Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson has made his personal pick for the actor he'd like to portray Shazam opposite his Black Adam in the DC Extended Universe film Shazam! - none other than Armie Hammer.

Speaking to WeGotThisCovered, Johnson stopped short of saying Hammer's name as his top choice for the role, saying "After I met him I thought, 'Man he's such a cool guy.' And he's a lot bigger than I thought he would be. And when I walked away, I looked at my producer Hiram Garcia, who is also on the Black Adam project, and we both looked at each other and said 'Possibly Shazam!' I'm not even gonna say his name, I'll just say 'Lone Ranger.'"

Hammer portrayed the Lone Ranger in Disney's live action adaptation of the pulp hero. He was also previously cast as Batman in George Miller's Justice League: Mortal before the film was cancelled. He has also recently been rumored as a possible candidate for the role of Hal Jordan in the upcoming Green Lantern Corps film.

Newsarama presaged Johnson's choice, having picked Hammer for the role of Shazam back in April 16.

DC has dated a Shazam! movie for theatrical release on April 19, 2019, however since then a spin-off Black Adam film was also reportedly greenlit. Johnson's use of the phrase "the Black Adam project" when referring to the possible casting of Hammer could infer the priority of the films, which the wrestler-turned-actor is also a producer on.

shazam1pixi7.jpg

SpaceWolf

Banned
I'd be genuinely surprised if this project ever actually ends up happening.

They'd better get their bloody skates on before that confirmed Superior adaptation comes around.

JaseMath

latest
captain-marvel-alex-ross.gif

Patrick Warburton.

They slept on him when he's the one that should've played TWD's Negan. Give him Shazam.

I'd be okay with that, I actually found him quite funny in Lone Ranger.
But the question is, what movie will we see first: Avatar 2 or Shazam / Black Adam?

Sheroking

latest

Patrick Warburton.

They slept on him when he's the one that should've played TWD's Negan. Give him Shazam.

Warburton is about 20 years too old.

You need to think 3 films down the line with these franchise castings. You can't have a 60 year old Shazam.

Wasn't a fan until I saw Free Fire. Now, I'll give him some benefit of the doubt.

He was the standout performance in that movie. He's actually been great in every movie I've seen him in: Man from UNCLE, Lone Ranger, Social Network.

From the outside he looks like the stereotypical "handsome white guy" that Hollywood likes to push as a leading man (see: Sam Worthington, Taylor Kitsch) but he actually has good comedic timing and decent acting skills. I'd like to see him get big.

JaseMath

Warburton is about 20 years too old.

You need to think 3 films down the line with these franchise castings. You can't have a 60 year old Shazam.

This is WB we're talking about. There's only going to be one Shazam and it'll flop because WB's ineptitude with DC properties.

Sojgat

One thing you will never have to worry about is Armie Hammer stealing the spotlight from you in your starring vehicle.

Cena would actually be a good fit. I would buy him as a kid in an adult body.

Slayven

I gave up noticing when people make this mistake years ago. It just wasn't worth it.

Also, Captain Marvel is always a dumb name in every context.
It's like Frankenstein and Frankenstein's monster
Marvel kneecap the fuck out of one of the greatest selling characters of all time.

Sheroking

This is WB we're talking about. There's only going to be one Shazam and it'll flop because WB's ineptitude with DC properties.

You think they're going to cast the role with no thoughts of potential sequels because it's going to flop?

That's just silly as fuck.

latest

Patrick Warburton.

Legit a good choice with a voice to match the character. I don't mind Hammer though. I think he's kind of underrated and I honestly enjoy Lone Ranger and his performance in it. In a different timeline, I really think he'd be a better Superman pick for the DCU

Pein

Banned
I like him, plus I did not know he was 6'5 like the rock. If they get him to bulk up he'd be perfect.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
The actual answer is some huge looking theater actor none of us have heard of. I hope they let this movie be as big and fun as it needs to be.

IconGrist

The Rock and Henry Cavill have the same agent. The two just met for dinner a little while ago. Henry Cavill starred alongside Armie Hammer in Man from UNCLE. Cavill and Hammer have been trolling DCEU fans for a few months about Hammer possibly being cast in the DCEU (specifically Green Lantern). One could theorize Cavill pitched Hammer to Rock.

Heh.

I've been into the idea for a while now, although more from his part in Mirror Mirror (the other, also bad Snow White movie of 2012).

opricnik

Banned
shazam is shit character.

keep black adam make A Justice League Dark movie with Etrigan,Constatine,Zatanna and Batman against Black adam

Man, whenever I think about Black Adam now I get the hankering to try a chocolate egg cream.

Well, it's not really a mistake anymore, DC retired the Captain Marvel name, he's now officially just Shazam.

This was a dumbass move. Was it a didio decision? Whenever I think of "Boneheaded DC ideas" I think of him.

DeathyBoy

Banned
shazam is shit character.

keep black adam make A Justice League Dark movie with Etrigan,Constatine,Zatanna and Batman against Black adam

Shazam is an amazing character. And a goldmine of a franchise given he's meant to be aimed at kids. I mean he's an orphan who rides a train and is told by a guy with a white beard that he's the chosen one. And he teams up with a know it all girl and a cocky little douche bag with red hair.

Shits never been done before and will be huge. Now if only they can find a way to tie on a lightning bolt scar and talking mythologicap creatures...

Honestly, my pick would be Channing Tatum. I think he could pull off the fact that the character is ultimately a 12 year old at heart, fantastically well.

Loona

Man, whenever I think about Black Adam now I get the hankering to try a chocolate egg cream.

This was a dumbass move. Was it a didio decision? Whenever I think of "Boneheaded DC ideas" I think of him.

At least they still use the name Captain Marvel in some multiverse stories - if eventually the DC movies use enough of the Flash to bring that up (the thunder theme would play nicely with both characters - but then again, so would WW's and Captain Marvel's mythologies, but they rarely seem to interact on that level), maybe the name can at least get a nod - especially if the Danvers movie underperforms.

Top Bottom