• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Rock says know your Magic Word: Dwayne Johnson to play Black Adam?

Status
Not open for further replies.
6ftnokz.jpg
6870ldx.jpg

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=135040

Rounding out what’s been a week loaded with movie news (both good and bad) of DC Comics properties, it seems that there’s now a serious “Well, duh” moment. Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson has confirmed to multiple sources, including MTV’s Movie Blog, that he’ll be playing Black Adam in the upcoming movie adaptation of Shazam, to be directed by Pete Segal. (Click on the link above for a video interview with Johnson)

To be fair, Johnson hasn’t signed anything yet, but MTV reported that the character of “was being changed to meet his strengths as an actor,” according to Johnson, who was set to meet with Segal last evening to discuss the role. Also to be fair, it could be argued that Johnson already played this role in 2002’s The Scorpion King, a sequel to Stephen Sommers’ two Mummy movies, where he played a Conan-esque Egyptian warrior king.

In March, John August was announced as the screenwriter on the project. According to reports, August sat down with DC comics writer Geoff Johns to make sure the vision of Captain Marvel – Billy Batson, Black Adam and the wizard Shazam – are consistent with what fans love about the character and his world.

No production start date for the film has been announced (and most likely won't be announced until the Writer's strike is over), neither has an actor playing Captain Marvel, though with Johnson as Black Adam, that role has become that much harder to fill, given the fact that Johnson is a rising star in his own right, and could easily overshadow any Captain Marvel actor in the eyes of the media. But of course, this is Hollywood, where red herring is the catch of the day, and it's also 2007 (or 2009+ when the film comes out)...who says Captain Marvel has to be lily white?

Let the speculation begin.
LOL, typecast as Egpytian warrior king? Still, the man does know how to play arrogant...

5zqv2gh.jpg

Odrion

Banned
Why can't his guy get a better movie role.

He seems to be stuck in some pre-Pulp Fiction/Die Hard Bruce Willis period.

Eric P

that's....good casting

didn't know they were doing a shazam! picture.

over to imdb to see what else the director has done

3. The Longest Yard (2005)
4. 50 First Dates (2004)
5. Anger Management (2003)
6. Nutty Professor II: The Klumps (2000)
... aka The Klumps (Australia)

7. My Fellow Americans (1996)
8. Tommy Boy (1995)
9. Naked Gun 33 1/3: The Final Insult (1994)

OH GOD NO

maybe the screen writer can save this

# The Nines (2007) (written by)
# Corpse Bride (2005) (screenplay)
... aka Tim Burton's Corpse Bride (Singapore: English title) (USA: complete title)
# Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005) (screenplay)
... aka Charlie and the Chocolate Factory: The IMAX Experience (USA: IMAX version)
# Big Fish (2003) (screenplay)
# Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle (2003) (screenplay) (story)
# Alaska (2003) (TV)
# Charlie's Angels (2000) (written by)
... aka 3 Engel für Charlie (Germany)
# Titan A.E. (2000) (screenplay)
... aka Titan: After Earth (USA: promotional title)
# "D.C." (2000) TV Series (unknown episodes)

# Go (1999) (written by)

just...erm...ignore the charlies angels bits...

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Stoney Mason said:
Thought this was going to be a Spike Lee take on Genesis. I'm disappointed now...

Me too. :lol

I was like dag, when I saw the comic book picture.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Wait, you guys thought Spike Lee Genesis before DC Comics? That breaks my brain.

The Rock could be a badass Black Adam, especially if he can keep the intensity going in his angrier moments.

Eric P

thetrin said:
Wait, you guys thought Spike Lee Genesis before DC Comics? That breaks my brain.

The Rock could be a badass Black Adam, especially if he can keep the intensity going in his angrier moments.

well, black adam isn't a well known character

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
thetrin said:

I thought "who the fuck is Black Adam and why should I care?". Then I clicked on the thread saw it was a character from a crappy DC comic and realized I shouldnt care.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
I think that's good casting. Now they just have to get Patrick Warbutron to play Captain Marvel and they can get my $10.

5y8a22v.jpg

Good casting call. I'm no fan of Duh Rock; but he'd make a plenty good Black Adam visually.

THe RUndown is in my Netflix queue. So we'll see how he "acts". :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom