• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Sad, Insulting, Humiliating Tale of Tiger's GAME.COM

Did anyone else totally buy into the hype of this fucking thing and think it was the greatest Christmas gift ever? Tell me I wasn't the only one. It wouldn't be the first time I'd receive a soon defunct product during the holidays though, I also received a Cybiko (a sort of portable PDA that texted, played games). Fucking Tiger.

1mFkn.png

OG Touchscreen gaming.

:lol at that RE2 video.

Thanks for the story, really interesting stuff. Amazing this was after Game Gear and not long before Game Boy Color. Shitty black and white graphics just weren't going to cut it anymore, what terrible timing.

I totally owned this when it came out. My grandparents got it for me. I actually liked mine, played a ton of, "Lights Out" and "Midway Arcade Classics" on it. Also got Duke Nukem for like $1.99 at EB Games or Kmart when they got rid of all the stuff.

At the time all my friends thought the touch screen was way cooler than the game boy.

qq more

I played both that and Sonic 06. I'd honestly rather play this shitty game. Honestly.

At the time all my friends thought the touch screen was way cooler than the game boy.
It's really funny when you think about it. Especially when Nintendo popularized touch screen gaming.

Still better than any Sonic game past 2003

(lolz)
Sonic Generations > Sonic Colors > Sonic Adventure > Sonic Adventure 2 > dogshit > Sonic Heroes >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Sonic Jam Gamecom > Sonic 06

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
I vaguely remember reading about this. Even at the time I knew this was a steaming pile of shit that was doomed to fail.

Also, god damn at that Duke 3D port. Looks even worse than the shittastic Mega Drive version. And bwahahahaha at Sonic Jam. Garbage.

krae_man

I got stuck in the first level of Duke Nukem for a long while. The thing has 4 buttons. One shoots straight, one shoots slightly to the left, one shoots slightly to the right, and the final one is used for cycling through your weapons.

I got 1/2 way through the first level and came up to a door and could not figure out how to open it. I tried every button and none of them worked. Eventually I did a google search and somehow came across a wallkthrough that said you have to press down+weapon select to open doors.

fernoca

I was so excited for Resident Evil 2 and Mortal Kombat Trilogy.... until I played them; after buying them. :(

But I got it and a Pocket Pro revision for really cheap; so no biggie.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
http://i.imgur.com/mTe9U.gif

Was this real? I would have played it had it not been canceled.

It and Biohazard 2 would be the only good things on the system, and that would beat Biohazard because it actually would play to the system's strength: 2D. Minus the terrible ghosting that would make the PSP look good.

Also I bought into the hype with Capcom's bullshit screenshots for it. I was like "HOLY SHIT IT'S A BLACK/WHITE PSX!" But I never bought it, seeing that Youtube video I dodged a bullet and got the proper Biohazard 2 at the age of 12. Whew.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'll admit that I never had any desire to try the game.com, but I sure did almost fall for the siren song of the 3DO.

I remember buying one of these really cheap at a flea market about a year after it came out. I wanted to play that version of Resident Evil 2 so bad, I actually thought it would be good. After buying the handheld I found the game at a KB Toys in the bargin bin, got home and played for like ten minutes and never touched the thing again.

I had no idea Symphony of the Night was possibly going to be on it. I would have been interested in trying that.

Zee-Row

Banned
How powerful was Game.com compared to the Game Boy Color? Game.com looks like it could handle more pixels on the screen.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
I got both a Game.com and Cybiko as gifts, though I vaguely recall getting the latter for free from a relative who was doing something for Tiger.

Regret ever wanting either of these. So, so terrible.

Edit: I vaguely actually remember somehow returning the Game.com after being so disappointed with it.

Fusebox

Banned
I have never heard of this before, ever, and I owned a Lynx, Game Gear AND an N-Gage! I'm assuming it never made it to Australia.

Tiger are the same mob who make all those single-game LCD portables for kids now aren't they?

Lol@ sexy chat.

vazel

Banned
I wanted one of these so badly. It's easy to hate now but its only failing was that it tried to be too much for its time. Consumers and publishers didn't know what to make of it and it never got off the ground.

I had a Cybiko, My grandparents got one for me.

I felt really really bad for having them spend so much money on something I totally hated and never really used. Even though I was really young I felt miserably guilty.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I have one. Or had one. It was clear plastic. I have Resident Evil 2 on it. I was really so AMAZED when I saw a screenshot of Symphony of the Night in the catalog, so I had my mom call the hotline or whatever and order it. She ordered it and a bunch of other HOT GAMEZ. They, um, never came, but I did get RE2.

Good lord, what a piece of shit.

I have never heard of this before, ever, and I owned a Lynx, Game Gear AND an N-Gage! I'm assuming it never made it to Australia.

Tiger are the same mob who make all those single-game LCD portables for kids now aren't they?

Lol@ sexy chat.

Yep. Same company.

I have one. Or had one. It was clear plastic. I have Resident Evil 2 on it. I was really so AMAZED when I saw a screenshot of Symphony of the Night in the catalog, so I had my mom call the hotline or whatever and order it. She ordered it and a bunch of other HOT GAMEZ. They, um, never came, but I did get RE2.

Good lord, what a piece of shit.

lol Yeah, it really is. I was too blinded by fanboyism for Resident Evil at the time to even stop and consider it might not be good.

GhaleonQ

I wish there were more stories. More hilarious, hilarious stories. For me to laugh at while reading them.

Sorry, guys.

Gazunta

Wow, great OP.

I reviewed this for GameSpot back in the day and didn't think much of it. I'm not even sure my review went online! I think I still have mine and some of the games it came with.

I remember tiger didnt send me conventional screenshots but film negatives. WTF was I meant to do with that for an online site you idiots?

kokujin

Banned
Man I miss that thing.My sister had the Cybiko and I had the Game.com.I played the heck out of Fighter's Megamix, at the time nothing compared to how awesome it seemed.

Had one once it went on clearance. Biggest gaming mistake of my entire life, I feel embarrassed even remembering I owned one. I was so disappointed when I played 4 games and they all sucked, felt like I was robbed. Why couldn't this topic be about a good failed handheld like the Neo-Geo Pocket Color.

storl026

I thought it looked pretty cool in the store, but I passed because I wanted a Game Boy Color was content with my Game Boy. I did however get mom to pick up this little number, also by Tiger Electronics:
856423-rzone_screen_large.png

R-Zone

Absolute garbage, crap games, crap display and broke instantly.

RSLAEV

My wife-thin girlfriend got me a Cybiko for christmas in 2000...Unfortunately I was a 25 year old man so I didn't know any other people with one. I powered it up a few times then gave up...I felt bad because I know it must have set her back a hundred bucks or so.

Just watched some videos. I've never seen worst ghosting in my life. Its like so bad that it just shouldn't have been released bad. Like not passing the requirements to sell something bad.

kokujin

Banned
I thought it looked pretty cool in the store, but I passed because I wanted a Game Boy Color was content with my Game Boy. I did however get mom to pick up this little number, also by Tiger Electronics:
856423-rzone_screen_large.png

R-Zone

Absolute garbage, crap games, crap display and broke instantly.

Yep ,that Batman Forever commercial sold me on it, the best part was how cool you looked with it on.I wanted the handheld version, but never got it. :(

Lijik

I literally don't understand the concept of this commercial.

I think its supposed to be parodying the ads like Sega's where theres a dog looking at a gameboy and a gamegear and saying something like "If you're colorblind of course owning a gameboy is fine, also if you have an IQ of 12"
But they kind of parody it by doing... the same thing... except more gratuitously and on their own product instead of a competitors

Same thing happened to a friend over the Jaguar. He cried on Christmas.

What made me feel so bad was that I fell for the hype. I wanted it but quickly realized my mistake after my hard working grandparents had already spent their money.

Bleh just thinking about it puts me in a foul mood.

Orayn

Owned an R-Zone, got a Cybiko at a garage sale, and my best friend had a GAME.COM. What I remember most about it were its ghosting, awful touch screen, and horrible "port" of Sonic Jam.

Top Bottom