• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The sad state of PC gaming(according to Tech Of Tomorrow)

Status
Not open for further replies.

S0ULZB0URNE

I've debunked each and every argument from that video in my first post and I still want these 13 minutes of my life back for even watching that dreck.

And yet out of all the videos that you could have posted from that crappy channel, you chose the salty one. We all know why...

As demonstrated above, consoles don't perform much better. You chose that example, so don't fake out now. I've posted benchmarks, you on the other hand got nothing but speculation. Do you really think your console will outperform a 3080 once they put a "ps5" sticker on the game box? Unless the hardware of your console miraculously changes overnight, that's not gonna happen.
Actually you didn't debunk anything.

You think you know so much... tell me why?

Nothing is demonstrated above by the consoles because the current gen consoles didn't get a version yet.
Much of what you said I already answered in other posts.

GetemMa

eh? PC gaming is as good as it's ever been, and one of the reasons is that the console exclusive is in the process of going the way of the dodo, outside of Nintendo of course. I can play pretty much anything that comes out on PC and in general the games perform and look better. If you have the money it's the best choice.

Guilty_AI

*quietly continues to enjoy my Frankenstein machine of a PC*

Whaddup Guilty_AI Guilty_AI

🤪
*Gets back to playing L4D2 with Teletubbies mod*

AFD8C01B5B7D311FEB979343A49658A0069A1F09

ACESHIGH

Banned
I love how in price comparisons the 4k HDR TV and furniture you would need to get the most out of PS5 is never included in the budget. But when talking about PC gaming you can add:

- Mortage costs
- Food & Gas
-Rent
- Retirement Funds
- Alimony

and many many others

Last edited:

Hezekiah

Banned
For me it's either good/best or a console... so I have both.
But there is little point spending more for pc than a console and having to play at worse settings.
I cannot imagine not playing at 4k or 4k with quality DLSS. 1080p especially looks like shit nowadays.
But then again - I have 48" oled on my desk..... so I do need 3080. I did had 27" 4k ips for 2 years before that and it was a bit questionable but I always preferred IQ over refresh rate.
THIS IS HIGH END GAMING. 3080 is necessary for high end gaming. It is 100% used. Hellblade maxed 4k does about 80fps. It is a good spot for 4k60.. not always quite enough for 4k120. Good luck doing that high end gaming on 1070 or 2070.
And IMO, ps5/xbox are currently comparable to high end gaming. Just closer to 60 fps rather than 120 of course.
Once again you appear to have missed the point. Somebody with a high-end i5/i7 and say, a 3070 will be playing with higher graphical settings than the console equivalent.

And the great thing about PC gaming is the flexibility which allows you to tweak as much as your heart contents.

PS5/Series X probably have the equivalent graphical oomph of somewhere between a 2070 and a 2080. And saying a "3080 is necessary for high end gaming" is stupid and incorrect. Imagine thinking a 2080, or 2080ti, or 3070 isn't giving you 'high-end gaming'. It's like claiming someone who owns an Aston Martin DB11 doesn't own a high-end luxury car because they don't own a Vanquish.

You appear to have an all or nothing approach - which is great if you're looking to get ripped-off.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Wtf?

First of all, those are not the biggest things PC has going for it.

If it were so, most PC gamers would have stopped long ago as that was always more expensive than buying a next-gen console to "upgrade".
Even in times when stuff was readily available, maybe 1-2% of gamers actually had cutting edge machines. Adaption in the PC gaming sphere is much, much slower and less important than you seem to think.
Instead, PC gaming is growing continually, neither "killed" by consoles nor mobile as proclaimed every now and again.

The current hardware situation is a fluke of two years maybe, due to several reasons causing a shortage. It sucks, sure, but it's not like only PC is affected.
Also, it mostly just affects GPUs, which is not the only thing you want to upgrade every now and again.

What PC has going for it are several things in addition to being able to upgrade:
  • Nothing has a larger library of games
  • Full compatibility of every single game ever released for PC (with some exceptions like online games with their servers shut down, relying on odd hardware, etc.)
  • Extremely high compatibility with most games ever released for OTHER platforms (I don't need a PS2 to play PS2 games... PS3 emulation is in great state, PS4 emulation looks promising too already)
  • Tons of games that never were or will be on consoles
  • Not just a device for gaming and media consumption to begin with
  • Not locked in to a specific OS, or a single OS (I dual boot, for example)
  • Highly customizable in every single regard
  • Games are WAY cheaper (to begin with & more sales & more competing storefronts vs ONE per console)
  • Fiddling around with hardware and software is in itself fun (to some), including mods
And that was just off the top of my head.

I'd say if ease of getting into, ease of setup and playing the latest AAA are the only things someone really cares about, they are better off with a console.
But if you play A LOT and/or are interested in hardware and software and/or just want to "go deeper" into gaming, PC is the way to go. It's an enthusiast thing, whereas consoles are simply more casual (NOT talking about the games here, but the hardware & software itself - this is not a diss, just factual).
If you are in it just for the graphics whoring, consoles give a better and more immediate bang for the buck, but PCs will always ultimately be able to beat any concurrent console.

There's nothing wrong with consoles, I got into gaming too with consoles (Gameboy & SNES). But at some point, the limited realm of consoles just wasn't enough anymore to satisfy my interest.
Plus, I really don't care about most console exclusives to begin with. I'm sure they are great games, but there so many of those on PC already I simply don't need those the moment they come out.

Ok, let's check some points:

Nothing has a larger selection of crapoy games, true. It's also the one platform that has zero Nintendo exclusives, and very few Sony ones. We're talking mutiple generations of being excluded from many of the best games ever made. Not sure how you twist that into the best selection.

Full compatibility? Not sure what that means, just like a console, as they age, computers get excluded from newer cutting games as they get older.

Emulation? You mean pirating older games, which some will do, but not many, too much hassle. This is not a huge selling point for pc when you can grab a $100-$200 box that does this well.

Not just a device for gaming? Hmmm, well last checked, I can browse the web and watch Netflix and YouTube on my consoles as well as my PC. In some cases you have some dual purpose savings.

Tons of games that never were or won't be on consoles? This must be a short list, the oy ones that really jump out at me that matter even remotely are games like age of empires, red alert, etc, where a mouse matters. Maybe minecraft and warcraft? Still doesn't mitigate the tons of console games not available legitimately on PC.

Not locked into an os? Like 1% of anybody cares.

Highly customizable - sure, for better or worse.

Games are way cheaper - agreed.

Let's check some points indeed:
Nothing has a larger selection of crapoy games, true. It's also the one platform that has zero Nintendo exclusives, and very few Sony ones. We're talking mutiple generations of being excluded from many of the best games ever made. Not sure how you twist that into the best selection.
Nothing has a larger selection of games... both good and bad. Not sure why you focus on the bad. Any given medium that has the sheer amount of volume that PC gaming does is bound to have stinkers. The year 1941 saw the releases of Citizen Kane and The Maltese Falcon, two of the greatest movies ever made, but there were also a shit-ton of crappy movies released that year. The fact remains is that those two movies are two of the greatest ever. The year 1967 saw the release of Sgt Pepper, two Doors albums, Jimi Hendrix's Are You Experienced?, etc... but there were also a lot of shitty music albums released in 1967. Actually, I'm not even sure what point you were trying to make there.

Full compatibility? Not sure what that means, just like a console, as they age, computers get excluded from newer cutting games as they get older.
Do you know this for a fact, or are you making this up? I bought Half-Life -- a game originally released in 1998 -- on Steam and ran it with no issues in 2021.

Emulation? You mean pirating older games, which some will do, but not many, too much hassle. This is not a huge selling point for pc when you can grab a $100-$200 box that does this well.
This has got to be some of the biggest baloney out there. The argument of "emulation = pirating" is old and tired, wonder when you people are going to drop that nonsense. I'm a "square" who follows the law and have a strict personal policy of only emulating what I own. I have paid Nintendo more times than I can count for Super Mario Bros. 3* (including the NES cart that I still own) but yet sometimes prefer to play it on PC, with RetroArch. I have GameCube games that I'd rather play with Dolphin, because I dislike the original GameCube controller's layout and -- get a load of this -- the games run and look better on Dolphin than they ever did on the original GameCube. And no "$100-$200 box" that I've ever run across can emulate things better than a dedicated PC with even a mid-low graphics card. GTFO with that nonsense.

* On that point -- I have paid Nintendo for so many copies of several games (can't even think of how many times I've bought and re-bought Ocarina of Time). But back to my example above of Half-Life: I've paid Valve ONCE for that game, and have been able to play it across 3 video cards on 2 different computers.

And not only that, but emulation helps keep the history of our hobby -- gaming -- alive. You want to play Nintendo World Championships? Go ahead, come back to us after you've forked out $20,000 for a copy. (Good luck finding one in the first place).

Not just a device for gaming? Hmmm, well last checked, I can browse the web and watch Netflix and YouTube on my consoles as well as my PC. In some cases you have some dual purpose savings.
My PC is my one-stop shop for anything I need, at all. I work on it. I manage my music on it. I manage administrative aspects of my life with it (finances, fitness goals, etc etc). And yes, I can watch Netflix and do other things. Point is -- I can do all of that stuff with just that one device.

Tons of games that never were or won't be on consoles? This must be a short list, the oy ones that really jump out at me that matter even remotely are games like age of empires, red alert, etc, where a mouse matters. Maybe minecraft and warcraft? Still doesn't mitigate the tons of console games not available legitimately on PC.
LMAO the thing with you people is that it's always some sort of zero-sum game. Guess what? I have a PC. AND I have consoles, too. And yet I sometimes emulate the console games on PC because they run better there.

This is a video game forum, you can't tell me you've never read the anecdotes of people that have enjoyed Breath of the Wild on the Wii U or Switch, but prefer playing it at 4k60 on an emulator on PC.

Not locked into an os? Like 1% of anybody cares.
Where did you get that number? Out of your nether regions? Because... on this forum at least, you can't turn a corner without somebody complaining about how "slow and clunky" the OS is for some of these consoles.

Highly customizable - sure, for better or worse.

Games are way cheaper - agreed.
Yes, and yes.

I was reading the other day how the 1440p support offered by the PS5 is dubious at best, maybe nonexistent at worst, I can't remember all the details. All I know is that, if I want to play something at 1440p, I don't have to wonder whether my console supports it. I can just go to practically every single game I own and change ONE setting:

"Resolution: 2560x1440"

Boom. Done.

On one of my points above, I actually calculated it:

Super Mario Bros. 3:
+ Original NES cartridge
+ Super Mario All-Stars cartridge (US, came with the console I bought)
+ Super Mario Collection cartridge (JP version of All-Stars, I bought separately)
+ NES version on the Wii Virtual Console
+ SNES version on Super Mario All-Stars disc for the Wii
+ NES version on the Wii U (had to pay an upgrade fee)
+ NES version on the 3DS (even though I owned it on Wii U after upgrading from the Wii version, that wasn't enough for Nintendo)
+ NES version on the NES classic

Number of times I have paid Nintendo for SMB3: 8

Half-Life (PC)
+ Steam version

Number of times I have paid Valve for Half-Life: 1

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

Something you want to say to me, S0ULZB0URNE S0ULZB0URNE ? I don't need your empathy, each time I bought SMB3 I wanted to play it on the console I bought it on.

Instead of using reaction emojis in a passive aggressive manner, how about we have a conversation and debate the facts at hand?

😀
You chose to let Nintendo abuse you.
People like you are why Nintendo does what it does.

Grechy34

I don't know man. I love my PC, I love my current consoles and & love my old consoles. I don't think gaming has been in a better place then right now minus the shortages.

Last edited:

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
Reading this moronic thread and the increasingly lengthy, hysterical, essay-length posts in it makes me feel like I'm watching NeoGAF degenerating into /v/ in realtime.

This site is being completely consumed by endless platform war bullshit. No day goes by and no thread goes by without PCMR fuckwits showing up to give us their bulletpoints, and insecure console users arguing over which box runs 'better'. I wish the mods would do something, but apparently, this is what they want the site to be now. Which is disappointing.

Resetera is a censorious cult of psychopathic weirdos, but at least they don't tolerate every thread being ruined by the screeching idiocy of platform warriors and their brain dead hot takes.

Click bait bullshit.

Anyone that is saying PC gaming is in a sad state right now wasn't around in the late 90's when graphics cards were all over the place and 90% of console ports were pure trash.

As long as you don't have some weird obscure hardware, PC gaming is pretty awesome (outside GPU prices like everyone has mentioned).

If anything, gaming youtubers are the ones in a sad state right now.

hlm666

Ole mate Sony has does an awesome job making sure playstation only has quality games, none of that pc low quality shit over in console quality gaming heaven.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Let's check some points indeed:

Nothing has a larger selection of games... both good and bad. Not sure why you focus on the bad. Any given medium that has the sheer amount of volume that PC gaming does is bound to have stinkers. The year 1941 saw the releases of Citizen Kane and The Maltese Falcon, two of the greatest movies ever made, but there were also a shit-ton of crappy movies released that year. The fact remains is that those two movies are two of the greatest ever. The year 1967 saw the release of Sgt Pepper, two Doors albums, Jimi Hendrix's Are You Experienced?, etc... but there were also a lot of shitty music albums released in 1967. Actually, I'm not even sure what point you were trying to make there.

Do you know this for a fact, or are you making this up? I bought Half-Life -- a game originally released in 1998 -- on Steam and ran it with no issues in 2021.

This has got to be some of the biggest baloney out there. The argument of "emulation = pirating" is old and tired, wonder when you people are going to drop that nonsense. I'm a "square" who follows the law and have a strict personal policy of only emulating what I own. I have paid Nintendo more times than I can count for Super Mario Bros. 3* (including the NES cart that I still own) but yet sometimes prefer to play it on PC, with RetroArch. I have GameCube games that I'd rather play with Dolphin, because I dislike the original GameCube controller's layout and -- get a load of this -- the games run and look better on Dolphin than they ever did on the original GameCube. And no "$100-$200 box" that I've ever run across can emulate things better than a dedicated PC with even a mid-low graphics card. GTFO with that nonsense.

* On that point -- I have paid Nintendo for so many copies of several games (can't even think of how many times I've bought and re-bought Ocarina of Time). But back to my example above of Half-Life: I've paid Valve ONCE for that game, and have been able to play it across 3 video cards on 2 different computers.

And not only that, but emulation helps keep the history of our hobby -- gaming -- alive. You want to play Nintendo World Championships? Go ahead, come back to us after you've forked out $20,000 for a copy. (Good luck finding one in the first place).

My PC is my one-stop shop for anything I need, at all. I work on it. I manage my music on it. I manage administrative aspects of my life with it (finances, fitness goals, etc etc). And yes, I can watch Netflix and do other things. Point is -- I can do all of that stuff with just that one device.

LMAO the thing with you people is that it's always some sort of zero-sum game. Guess what? I have a PC. AND I have consoles, too. And yet I sometimes emulate the console games on PC because they run better there.

This is a video game forum, you can't tell me you've never read the anecdotes of people that have enjoyed Breath of the Wild on the Wii U or Switch, but prefer playing it at 4k60 on an emulator on PC.

Where did you get that number? Out of your nether regions? Because... on this forum at least, you can't turn a corner without somebody complaining about how "slow and clunky" the OS is for some of these consoles.

Yes, and yes.

I was reading the other day how the 1440p support offered by the PS5 is dubious at best, maybe nonexistent at worst, I can't remember all the details. All I know is that, if I want to play something at 1440p, I don't have to wonder whether my console supports it. I can just go to practically every single game I own and change ONE setting:

"Resolution: 2560x1440"

Boom. Done.

I focused on all of it (including the crappy games) as you presented the PC gaming market as some sort of place where you can only get the best games. Sheer volume means absolutely nothing, the switch marketplace proves that every day, as does the steam marketplace. Tons and Tons of crap. So this argument that there are a larger selection of games on PC is moot.
The side argument that there are tons of great games only on PC is weak.

As to half life, I don't think you got the argument, what I was saying was an older PC is unable to run some newer stuff, not the other way around, so compatibility is not guaranteed like you are stating.

As far as emulation goes, you are way off the deep end there. The NVIDIA Shield TV does an amazing job of emulation, as good as any pc for a lot of older systems. You sound like someone who hasn't even tried an emulator outside of your PC, you just state it's the best and move on.
Even the Rasberry Pi does a decent job. As to piracy, you are one of a very small handfull of people who refuse to play any rom that they don't own. Like 1% small.
Plus I don't even buy that at all - you loaded up a bunch of emulators and didn't load a single rom you didn't own just to see how it ran, or to take a walk down memory lane? please.
I have no issue with emulation keeping the old games alive, etc, but stop lying to yourself and everyone else about the piracy side of it, it's rampant.

Yes you can do lots on a PC, but that's a dying breed to. People do 90+% of the stuff they used to do on the PC on their phones, or laptop, or tablet.

Not sure what you mean by "you people", I have a good PC, PS5, Series X, Series S and a switch, I think I'm in a pretty good position to make a judgement. Your free to emulate away on your pc, I have done it myself. But this holier than thou since I have a PC and it's better than everything that you are conveying is not entirely accurate.

As far as the OS goes, the OS on both the PS5 and the Xbox are just fine. Lean and meant to run games. Windows is fine too, you made it sound like being able to change to linux or something was some sort of huge PC advantage. What are you going to do, abandon windows for games now? There is zero advantage for windows in terms being able to change OS.

The 1440P issue isn't one for most people, I guess you can make more out of that if you want to justify PC being better.
Your posts are very defensive, it's like you are trying at all costs to justify your use of PC as a primary system, there is nothing wrong with that at all.

Last edited:

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Reading this moronic thread and the increasingly lengthy, hysterical, essay-length posts in it makes me feel like I'm watching NeoGAF degenerating into /v/ in realtime.

This site is being completely consumed by endless platform war bullshit. No day goes by and no thread goes by without PCMR fuckwits showing up to give us their bulletpoints, and insecure console users arguing over which box runs 'better'. I wish the mods would do something, but apparently, this is what they want the site to be now. Which is disappointing.

Resetera is a censorious cult of psychopathic weirdos, but at least they don't tolerate every thread being ruined by the screeching idiocy of platform warriors and their brain dead hot takes.

How many reports have you made which have gone unaddressed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom