• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Saddest Thing Ever (NSFW, NSF anyone, really)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
calvin.jpg

Next time, before you sneer at somebody who's a "nerd", "geek", or "retard" for embracing something fantastical, think of this first.

One of the truest commentaries ever.

Kaijima said:
calvin.jpg

Next time, before you sneer at somebody who's a "nerd", "geek", or "retard" for embracing something fantastical, think of this first.

Uh, whatever you just said has NOTHING to do with the comic. I see what point you're trying to get at, but this comic does not support it.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
God's Hand said:
Uh, whatever you just said has NOTHING to do with the comic. I see what point you're trying to get at, but this comic does not support it.

I don't even see what point he's going for. That it's ok to have imaginary friends?

Kaijima said:
calvin.jpg

What are you talking about? Did you post the wrong strip by mistake?

The last frame is kind of sad, because you remember Hobbes is just a stuffed animal. I don't know. Something like that. It made me kind of sad, anyway.

But then, I get sad at all sorts of shit. This week hasn't been especially happy either, what with all those poor people dying in the tsunami.

Dujour

Banned
I thnik your' an idiot . The comic is trying to say that without him concentrating, he's jsut a stuffed animal. It's cute

When I clicked on this thread, Google showed me ads for furry conventions. I hope this doesn't get stored in some kind of data mining thing :[

Serafitia said:
I thnik your' an idiot . The comic is trying to say that without him concentrating, he's jsut a stuffed animal. It's cute
I thnik your' drunk off fo Jsesus' WINE

I still don't understand why someone would fake a Calvin and Hobbes comic where Calvin's given drugs (medication) to allow him to focus on school work while depriving him of imagination and then (the author) blurs out his own name.

And what point the original poster is trying to make?

Socreges

Banned
Kaijima said:
calvin.jpg

siren.gif
siren.gif
NEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRD ALERT NEEEEEERRRRRRD ALERT
siren.gif
siren.gif

laugh.jpg

Clinton%20Laugh%2001.jpg

The point, inasmuch as there *is* one, is that without that special imagination thing, Hobbes is just a stuffed tiger and Calvin is no longer focused on play but on study and responsibility. There's some secondary commentary about Ritalin in there, too.

How this is sad, least of all The Saddest Thing Ever (tm), I dunno. Given who posted it, I'd venture it's some sort of meta-commentary on how we edge forum types all try to bury our "fantastical" imaginations by refusing to acknowledge that the desire to be (or just simply bone) a bipedal cartoon animal in human clothing -- of all things -- is just another delightful quirk of human imagination that we should appreciate rather than condemn, no matter how utterly incongruous, desperate, or downright skin-crawling creepy it is.

Just because you can think of it and translate it into fantasy doesn't mean it should be okay with everyone. No, we reserve to right to mock you when your fantasies deviate from the norm and take on very eccentric and specific manifestations, such as when you start to pretend you're a horny Disney character or a talking winged lizard. Doesn't mean you can't continue to do it; rather, we just get to laugh at whatever sad little slice of screwed up psychology led you down the path to associating The Lion King with erections.

I could see how this could be depicted as sad if this was the last Calvin and Hobbes strip ever or something, but it's just some fake. This thread is stupid, I DEMAND ANSWERS

Socreges

Banned
Seems like a promotion for Ritalin to me. The kid cracked down, started doing his homework, and quit wasting his time with crippling fantasy. Good for him!

duckroll

The saddest thing ever is that Mike Works posted on this thread 3 times about how retarded this thread is without changing the title of the thread to something more entertaining. Today i weep. :(

Whoa, I totally missed the point as well, I thought Calvin was writing a suicide note, and the transformation of Hobbes at the end was his reaction to the note, since he's looking right at the paper in the last panel. I dunno how I got that. I partially blame the comment the original poster made after the comic. Glad to know I'm way off though.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Crispy said:
I see what you are talking about....
this is a word?!?!? dayum man!

Yes. It means "a disaster by the nature". And looking at the list below it, it doesn't require lot to figure out what it means when there are many people of the same family name.

belgurdo

Banned
duckroll said:
The saddest thing ever is that Mike Works posted on this thread 3 times about how retarded this thread is without changing the title of the thread to something more entertaining. Today i weep. :(

Indeed...we shall have to do his work for him

jennifertilly.jpg

car-crash-blank.jpg

screaming_cat.jpg

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
MrPing1000 said:
I know this is radical thinking but how about you just stop talking about it and people with stop caring/knowing
tritroid can attest to this not working

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Whoever the author is, it's very clear what he tries to convey - I think. It's just the stuff around it that doesn't make any sense.

shuri

Banned
I love google. Are you the same Kaijima that wrote a big essai on furries? , also had a dragon (?!) related furry site describe as "The personal website of one Kaijima, it contains a large collection of well drawn images that focus mainly on dragons and inflated or plush furry morphs, although there is a huge variety of art to view. Also includes some stories", you also have a urban dictionnary entry about you

It seems that the previous urban dictionnary entry about you was

kaijima
1 vote
Histonic furries with a persecution ("fursecution") complex. Also an adj. used to describe those who hold amusingly contradictory beliefs: e.g., those who write long-winded "scholastic" style essays, while repeatedly decrying the uselessness and "herd mentality" of academia.

At first my friend was just a casual furry, but then he started getting all Kajima on me.

Source: The Eagle Scout, Feb 17, 2004
recommend for deletion | send to a friend

It seems that you are a furry artist too. The people from portal of evil seems to already had runs-in with you. You also had a live journal with furry fanfiction.

Word to the wise: Furries are very defensive and also aggressive about their thing. It's a very tight community and they do not hesitate to raid sites with anti-furry views, so I wouldnt be surprised if there was sudden jump of new members coming out to defend furrydom.

edit: the calvin cartoon was probably edited because its looks like photoshop edit. Notice how the writing seems to be in a different tone than the drawings. The author name was probably blurred bause its Kaijima or some other furry apologist

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
DarthWufei said:
Whoa, I totally missed the point as well, I thought Calvin was writing a suicide note, and the transformation of Hobbes at the end was his reaction to the note, since he's looking right at the paper in the last panel. I dunno how I got that. I partially blame the comment the original poster made after the comic. Glad to know I'm way off though.

... :lol You're fucked up man.

Che

Banned
What the hell is going on in here???? I don't get the point of the comic (or the point is too trivial to consider that I understood that) even after Serafitia's interpretation.

shuri

Banned
It's a piece of furry propaganda. Kaijima posted this because we should feel that Furries are just big kids who still love plush dolls and stuff, and that at some point, WE LOST OUR INNER CHILD IN ALL OF US or something

Crispy

Chittagong said:
Yes. It means "a disaster by the nature". And looking at the list below it, it doesn't require lot to figure out what it means when there are many people of the same family name.

No I got what it means and the subject is nothing to laugh about, but the word itself...it has so many seemingly redundant letters it struck me as very funny.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
I read it as being:

society wouldn't except calvin for who he was even though he was enjoying life, which is all that should matter. So he was forced on drugs so that he would be just like everyone else. This forces him to study and do well at school but at the cost of his own hapiness. A price not worth paying which has been forced upon him and because of it he loses his best friend. Which is sad.

what that has to do with geeks and nerds I don't know. I guess at the surface its just a message of, "let people be who they are and do what they enjoy without having to hide it away in the backs of their minds as a forgotten memory."

in my opinion, the post of the comic was to convey what's happening to a lot of the kids today. they're being pushed away from using their imagination, from being creative, with drugs like Ritalin and over-diagnosing ADD and ADHD. they're supposed to be obedient and just a single part of the whole instead of standing out.

Eminem

goddamit, Griese!
slayn said:
I read it as being:

society wouldn't except calvin for who he was even though he was enjoying life, which is all that should matter. So he was forced on drugs so that he would be just like everyone else. This forces him to study and do well at school but at the cost of his own hapiness. A price not worth paying which has been forced upon him and because of it he loses his best friend. Which is sad.

yeah, that's exactly what i got out of it

Fifty

Naked Shuriken said:
Word to the wise: Furries are very defensive and also aggressive about their thing. It's a very tight community and they do not hesitate to raid sites with anti-furry views, so I wouldnt be surprised if there was sudden jump of new members coming out to defend furrydom.

Bring it on!

vbush.jpg

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
calvin0wn3d.jpg

I don't see the problem or why it is completely sad. Imagination is good so maybe it's bad to say they killed Calvin's imagination and with it Hobbes, but imagination is not good when it interferes with the responsibilities of reality, so in a way it is also good. Overall I don't understand your point about geeks, or what you mean by "embracing something fantastical", so I can only speculate in my response.

Sure there is some element of beauty in the human imagination, but there is a greater beauty in love and protecting the humanity and physical/emotional health that carries it. So I would say it is better to use your imagination to envision a better world and then figure out how to bring it to pass in reality, not just fantasize as an escape or seclusion (which Calvin does in the comics, but he could learn better when he gets older).

This comic has no point to make against those who would disillusion some from living in fantasy aside from pure sentiment, which carries no value in making a right judgement. Though I would say it has something to say about prescribing medication for an overactive imagination before trying to teach a child how to master and utilize it. That said, I'd suspect you'd get plenty of jollies from watching Drop Dead Fred

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I'll also add that Hobbes--while created by Calvin's imagination--is not reflective of his imagination or the value of it, but rather his insecurity. What Calvin does with Hobbes is where his imagination and interpretation of the world is manifested and where his value as a unique person is brought to light, Hobbes himself is only something he creates in his mind to feel confident enough to act on it when no one else understands and joins him in his view of the world.

Inasmuch, while one may associate Hobbes with the beauty of a child's imagination and freedom from the pressure of social norms simply because he is present among them--he actually only exists because of everything that would supress them. So he is both an endearing representation of the noble resilience of Calvin's imagination and a sad representation of Calvin's insecurity to be himself in a world not so understanding or accepting of his imaginative mind.

Is the reason everyone's saying this has to do with furries because of who posted it..? It seems clear to me that the point of the strip is that adults expect children to act like adults themselves, to the point of giving them mood-altering drugs. But by doing this, children are robbed of their childhood. And Calvin & Hobbes are used for this message because they're beloved characters.

But apparently because Hobbes is an anthropomorphic animal, it becomes a statement about furries? Is the original post an extension of some pre-existing thread or something, because I don't see where everyone is getting this from?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom