• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Scorecast (Another Japan-based podcast? Sure!)

PillarEN

Man I'm so happy there is actually a thread on this podcast. You guys are my favorite "foreigners speaking English in Japan games industry" podcast by far. Very fun discussion on the topic of Kickstarter this episode. What I really enjoy is that you guys seem to always have the right guest for the show and ask the right questions. Or maybe it just flows naturally. Like that couple you have had on twice. I think one worked at Square and the other (the husband) I don't remember. Maybe it was From Software? I've enjoyed their tales of working in the industry and how they have adjusted to life in Japan. Actually, more Japan talk is always welcome by me.

Keep up the good work. It's always nice when a new episode comes up on my feed.

Man I'm so happy there is actually a thread on this podcast. You guys are my favorite "foreigners speaking English in Japan games industry" podcast by far. Very fun discussion on the topic of Kickstarter this episode. What I really enjoy is that you guys seem to always have the right guest for the show and ask the right questions. Or maybe it just flows naturally. Like that couple you have had on twice. I think one worked at Square and the other (the husband) I don't remember. Maybe it was From Software? I've enjoyed their tales of working in the industry and how they have adjusted to life in Japan. Actually, more Japan talk is always welcome by me.

Keep up the good work. It's always nice when a new episode comes up on my feed.

Thanks, sir, you're too kind!

Yes, as the poster above mentioned, Adele and Eduardo (Square and From respectively). I had to grab them quickly to get that "new in Japan" vibe from them. Hopefully next time we get them on they'll be suitably bitter. ;) (They won't be. They're good people)

We do try to get relevant guests if there is something we want to chat about, or try to steer the conversation to whatever guest we have on at that time for maximum "you talk while I drink" effectiveness.

If you guys have any questions, comments, requests, any of that stuff, do let us know. We are limited to the grace and goodwill of our guests, but if you feel we're missing anything in the podcast itself, do let us know!

And thanks for listening! :)

Want more E3 Hype Train? No? Good, because we honestly TRY to get ourselves excited but find ourselves too old and jaded and tired, ha.

e3-2015.JPG

Scorecast_64.png
The Scorecast - episode 46 (June 14th, 2015, 01:05:34 / 38Mb)
A noisier than usual chat about games we're currently playing, some E3 chat and celebrating 6 years of Score Studios.
Listen here: Score website, Stitcher, iTunes, SoundCloud, Direct Download, RSS.

In this episode we are joined by the winners of Tokyo Indie Fest's "Best Visuals award" Phoenix Studios. If you liked Final Fantasy Tactics you'll want to keep an eye on them and their game Historea!

historea_collage.jpg

Scorecast_64.png
The Scorecast - episode 47 (July 1st, 2015, 01:55:44 / 66.7Mb)
Arun Mehta and Matthew Hope of Phoenix Studios join to discuss their SRPG title Historea: Embers of Fate, their influences, mobile strategies and being "indie" in Japan and Paul and James eat humble pie as they admit E3 was actually pretty damn cool this year.

Link to their twitter account: https://twitter.com/phoenixstudiojp

It's been a while, sorry. We've been busy....also, some of us have apparently been playing this:

da01066a.jpg

(link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jp.colopl.bgirl&hl=en)

Scorecast_64.png
The Scorecast - episode 48 (August 7th, 2015, 01:05:36 / 38.1Mb)
James, Paul, Seth, Jenny and secret lurker Sean discuss the heat, factory building, schoolgirl battling, aiming insecurities, animes and experience an earthquake.

* Stick through to the end for the sound of an actual earthquake.

It's been a little while as we're all terribly busy of course, but tomorrow evening we're planning another Scorecast recording with returning guest Hikaru Wada, artist at FROM Software (previously a guest on episode 38).

For any questions or comments or requests for which dirty words you want to learn in Japanese, tweet us @ScoreStudios!

Great non-gaming stories in this episode. That poor grandfather.

I know, right?! Jenny's the worst!

We're hoping to have audio guy Derrick Espino back for a recording this coming Thursday for a release either Friday or in the weekend. He was previously on episode 42, if you're interested in catching up.

If you have any answerable Qs you want us to ask him, or us, tweet them to us at @ScoreStudios.

Ostinatto

Holy Shit, That titty bar episode was hilarious.

LOL at the 8-4 podcast talking about Monster Hunter, this is the real deal xD

Aw, shucks, you guys!
Well, not to put too fine a point on it, we have fun doing it so, that's kind of all that matters really. ;)

We're recording another one tonight, for release around the weekend. Slightly less ribald for a change though.

PillarEN

Hearing about Jenn's work, work out, eat, sleep schedule sounds dismal. I know she says she loves it. I couldn't picture my life working like that though. How is the Japanese Netflix? You guys use the US one over there or have you been using the Japanese one since fall? I'm curious how they deal with dubs and subs for non-Japanese material.

And isn't the dude that she talked about a few episodes back (some rock star or boy band) as her dream hunk when she was a teen getting married? Swear I saw a headline on JapanToday. Guy is only in his late 30s and didn't look that freaky to me. LINK. Maybe it's a different guy Jenny was talking about though.

How is the Japanese Netflix? You guys use the US one over there or have you been using the Japanese one since fall? I'm curious how they deal with dubs and subs for non-Japanese material.

The selection is fine, in Japan. Better than Hulu I think. Easier to, ahem, access non-JP regions anyway. While that lasts. If you know what I'm saying.... Stuff that is available on the JP Netflix is generally subbed.

dramatis

I'm not sure if it is amusing or sad that even in games different nationalities can get butthurt at each other.

It was very interesting to listen to the considerations that come into play when managing an internationally connected game.

I'm not sure if it is amusing or sad that even in games different nationalities can get butthurt at each other.

I, personally, feel quite fuzzy and happy about the fact that no matter what race, nationality, colour or creed, under the skin we all equally can be arseholes in on-line games. :)

Apologies, "fans", I momentarily assumed we lived in the year 2016 and arrogantly included an ampersand in the description text in the XML file, so it didn't show up in iTunes. Ampersands replaced with archaic proto-indoeuropean alphabet characters. This episode should now pop up in your podcast feed programme!

dramatis

Are you guys going to watch the Ratchet movie?

The settings/levels in Ratchet are rather underrated, I really like the looks and design. It's colorful creative scifi stuff.

(There's also an Angry Birds movie coming out this year)

We've put all our podcasts on Youtube as well, so you can elect to not listen to them there either. :)

Our channel: ScoreStudiosJapan

We've been a little busy but we're hoping to do a new Scorecast soon. I'm trying to wrangle some proper guests so they can be informative rather than merely three drunk lunatics talking shit about games.

23bafc8d17b89e574fd0e03245549b1a-1024x500.png

Scorecast_64.png
The Scorecast - episode 59 (July 15th, 2016, 01:37:31 / 56.3Mb)
Frederic Nouel from 3rd Kind joins the podcast to talk about publishing games in Japan, cultural differences and adapting to Japan, mobile games, Pokemon Go, and French comics.
Listen here: Score website, Stitcher, iTunes, SoundCloud, Direct Download, RSS

Fred's company site: www.3rdkind-inc.com
Fred on Twitter: /papanouel

Our YouTube channel: ScoreStudiosJapan
Direct link to the super special extra content for episode 59: here!

(Should I be making new threads for each episode or is that too needy?)

PillarEN

The VR discussion was really funny. As was the post podcast part. I'm with Jenny on the pronunciation of "twat". But then I lived in the States most of my life.

xmas2016_s.png

Happy holidays from the Score team!
In the new year we may try something a little different with the podcast. It's becoming increasingly difficult to organise whole evenings of boozy chat with random devs in Japan. We have a couple of ideas but if any of you listeners have feedback or thoughts on how we can improve please do let us know, here or on our Twitter or Facebook pages.

See you in 2017!

PillarEN

Hope all is going well at Score Studios. Can we expect an episode this month?

Edit: Oh, I don't have any ideas. Maybe more stories of Jenny being mean to her grandpa.

Hope all is going well at Score Studios. Can we expect an episode this month?

Edit: Oh, I don't have any ideas. Maybe more stories of Jenny being mean to her grandpa.

So much ambition to do another podcast, so little time. It has been an unusually hectic start of the year (globally and of course for our little studio). We've not given up on it yet. Perhaps a little break will help invigorate us. So, apologies for now. :(

But happy Setsubun!

Top Bottom