• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Scorecast (Another Japan-based podcast? Sure!)

beatwho

Scorecast_widebanner.png

Who this?
You may not have heard of us (yet?) but we're Score Studios, a Tokyo-based independent video game development company working together with some Japanese companies on stuff we're not allowed to discuss in public.

What that?
Company co-founders Paul Caristino and James Kay (author of Japanmanship) discuss games, Japan, game development and more, sometimes with guests, always with a tipple.

Why those?
With these first several episodes we're definitely finding our feet, but we're getting the hang of it now. Maybe one day we'll even be comfortable enough to try to record one sober! We plan on having more exciting guests from the Japanese game development community, talk more about Japanese issues, being a small independent studio in Tokyo and a little about ourselves and our background in our long years as game developers.

Where?
Episodes will be available from our website, on iTunes, SoundCloud and Stitcher. We currently release one about every two weeks, but this will vary depending on how busy we are or how excited we get about something.

iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/jp/podcast/the-scorecast/id668469629?l=en
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/score-studios
Stitcher: http://www.stitcher.com/podcast/score-studios/the-scorecast?refid=stpr

We love for you guys to let us know about any topics you'd like to see discussed or any questions you may want answered. You can drop your feedback here or let us know through email or Twitter.

Scorecast_64.png
The Scorecast - episode 1, MMOs, Diablo 3 and Eve Online chat. (June 30th, 2013. 40:44/57.7Mb)
James chats with Score Studios' own Bart Sekura about his current gaming habits, including Diablo 3 and Eve Online, with some chat about next-gen consoles. This episode was recorded before E3 and all the XBox One announcements.
Listen here: Score website, Stitcher, iTunes, SoundCloud, Direct Download.

Scorecast_64.png
The Scorecast - episode 2, Post E3 games chat. (June 30th, 2013. 59:21/83.9Mb)
James and Paul chat excitedly and drunkenly about the games that were on display at E3.

Scorecast_64.png
The Scorecast - episode 3, Mobile games, Nintendo and Score processes. (July 10th, 2013. 59:05/83.5Mb)
Paul and James discuss what games they are playing and which they're not, show how uninformed they are about Nintendo strategy and discuss at length the ideas and processes behind the first few Score games' development.

Scorecast_64.png
The Scorecast - episode 4, Steam sale, PC gaming and restrictions. (July 23rd, 2013. 1:41:45/143.6Mb)
We chat with friend of the company and fellow Tokyo game developer Seth Wladyka about the Steam Sale, unplayed games, games we played too much, PC gaming in general, region-locking and much more!

Scorecast_64.png
The Scorecast - episode 5, Sweat, tears and games. (August 1st, 2013. 55:23/78.4Mb)
We discuss Tokyo being sweaty, "Blowfishgate", trolls and gamer feedback, Ittle Dew, Thomas Was Alone, Stealth Inc., Gunpoint and Bastion. Featuring Seth and some inevitable Kerbal Space Program chat.

Scorecast_64.png
The Scorecast - episode 6, Friends make everything better and James is a terrible loser. (August 9th, 2013. 52:54/74.8Mb)
Despite bringing up Borderlands 2, Ragnarok, Neverwinter Nights, WoW and Diablo Paul and Seth fail to convince James to play any multiplayer games other than Scrabble.

New episode is out now!

Scorecast_64.png
The Scorecast - episode 7, Score vs. RocketNews24 (August 19th, 2013. 1:08:57/95.1Mb)
We chat with Philip Kendall, senior editor at RocketNews24, about PSVita games (Guacamelee, Dragon's Crown, Life of Pixel), 3DS (SteamWorld Dig), Dishonored, PS4 and XBoxOne, LeapMotion and Raspberry Pi and going to the Tokyo Game Show.

We have a new episode out right now! I'd love to make new threads for each episode to properly engage in comments and feedback, but as a long time lurker not-enough poster I still have to work my way up to the priviledge of starting threads.

This episode is a good one, as we chat with EA Japan's Matt Smith, executive producer of the newly released iOS game (Japan only) Tetris Monsters and probably the most clued in person we know when it comes to social games in general.
Tetris Monsters webpage here.
img_about_01_pc.jpg

Podcast info and links:

Scorecast_64.png
The Scorecast - episode 8, Social Games (August 29th, 2013. 01:15:04/106.1Mb)
We talk with EA Japan's Matt Smith, executive producer of the newly released Tetris Monsters about his game, 'social' games in general, Plants v Zombies, monetisation, "gatchas" and his current obsession Crusader Kings 2.

fushi

I liked/read Japanmanship. Will check this out. But a lack of RSS will make it difficult to subscribe.

Scorecast_64.png
The Scorecast - episode 12 (October 18th, 2013. 1:11:55/99.36Mb)
James, Paul and Seth ramble on about beards, the weather, educational historic recreations, GTA5, Pokemon, pre-searing Guild Wars, upcoming games and the sad F2P death of a once-great IP.

Bonus points for guessing which sad F2P IP-death we discuss.

The next episode we hope to have a more serious discussion about Japanese gamedev processes and the founding of our studio - something we hoped to do this time but an oncoming typhoon meant the people we wanted on board for this chat wanted to go home and batten down the hatches instead.

Scorecast_64.png
The Scorecast - episode 13 (November 7th, 2013. 1:08:28/94.6Mb)
Tomas joins us again for a candid chat about Japanese game development issues and about why Japan has fallen behind the West.

I expect this episode to be a little contentious and get some criticism as we discuss the problems with Japanese game development issues, Japan falling behind the West, etc. If you do have an opinion, or just kind of need to shout at us, you can, through twitter @ScoreStudios, or by emailing us so we can maybe address issues in a future podcast.

New episode out now. New to the podcast but not to the studio Score's own Karl Winner (by name and by nature) joins for an impromptu chat about strategy games, games for toddlers, games based on popular Asian myths and a bit about Karl's background in Indonesian and Japanese game development. Extra content: Oxford commas.

Scorecast_64.png
The Scorecast - episode 14 (November 20th, 2013. 1:09:58/96.6Mb)
Guests Seth and Score's own Karl join us for a chat about strategy and RPG games, games for kids, upcoming releases, Asian epic myths and Karl's background in Indonesia, Singapore and Japanese gamedev.

We're preparing for what should be a pretty good podcast recording this week.
We should have @Jordan_Amaro and @adellebueno in to talk about how they decided to work in Japanese gamedev and move over here, which they both did fairly recently (in the grand scheme of things).

If you have any questions you want me to ask them let me know by tweeting at @ScoreStudios.

The podcast should be out before the end of the week/month.

This one turned out pretty great! Jordan Amaro of Kojima Productions and Adelle Bueno of From Software tell us about how they went about getting a game development job in Japan. Great insights and good advice for anybody thinking of doing the same!

---

Scorecast_64.png
The Scorecast - episode 18 (Jan 24, 2014. 1:03:30/87.7Mb)
Jordan Amaro (Kojima Productions) and Adelle Bueno (From Software), relatively new to Japan, tell us of their experiences getting a job in game development here and give a lot of great advice!

mcw

I just found out about this show. It's great! I've recommended it to listeners of my own podcast, and if you're reading this, you should check it out as well; really good stuff so far. Thanks for putting it together, folks!

I just found out about this show. It's great! I've recommended it to listeners of my own podcast, and if you're reading this, you should check it out as well; really good stuff so far. Thanks for putting it together, folks!

Oh cool, thanks! Which podcast is that?

Laid low by a debilitating cold (pity poor me) this episode is Paul and previous guests Seth and Philip. I wonder when I'll get "new thread" creating privileges. Hm.
Also finally lowering the quality a bit to drastically cut file sizes while keeping the quality as much as is.

Don't forget to let us know any comments or questions or, indeed, suggestions on topics to cover, through our twitter, or indeed here!

-----------------------

Scorecast_64.png
The Scorecast - episode 19 (Feb 6, 2014, 1:36:09/55.5Mb)
Paul, Seth and Philip with one L discuss Playstation 4 issues, Assassin's Creed 4 multiplayer, Don't Starve, episodic gaming versus DLC, refunds, answer readers' questions and look forward to future releases.

Episode 20 is a good one, thanks in many ways to guest Jacob Iyamu of Japanese games and geekery export company SolarisJapan.com.
We discuss the some ins and outs of starting a business in Japan, the fun of PS4 launch titles ahead of tomorrow's launch, censorship and life in Japan with the usual ATMs, taxis and being a dirty foreigner chat.

----

Scorecast_64.png
The Scorecast - episode 20 (Feb 21, 2014, 1:19:20/109Mb)
Jacob Iyamu from SolarisJapan.com and Seth Wladyka join us to talk about the ins and outs of setting up a business in Japan, Japanese and German game censorship, the local PS4 launch and the foibles of everyday life in Japan in a podcast almost lost to technical issues.
Listen here: Score website, Stitcher, iTunes, SoundCloud, Direct Download, RSS.

I might check it out but I thought the 8-4 podcast was the only Japanese podcast about Japan and Japanese games.

John and co. certainly have been around and do an amazing podcast, and they were kind enough to help us with info on getting the right equipment, but they are certainly not the only Japan based podcast haha.

Episode 21, with stalwarts Seth and Philip-with-one-L. We discuss a LOT of various stuff, spend a little time on the Tohoku Quake but then focus on PS4 games and a little Dreamcast nostalgia derailment and our little homebrew mocap experiments.

Scorecast_64.png
The Scorecast - episode 21 (Mar 12, 2014, 1:51:50/64.5Mb)
Philip with one L and Seth remember with us the 2011 Tohoku quake, discuss the latest PS4 games, Dreamcast games, asynchronous multiplayer, challenging games, our homebrew mocap fun, WatchDogs_gate, Driveclub delay, Titanfall and so much more.

Sorry for the delay. It's been longer since our last podcast than we would have liked, but you know, work, busy, stuff happens. Also, this is the first one without Paul, though he'll be back for the next episode!

In this episode we talk with Esteban "Lonesteban" Salazar about being a producer in Japan, being a dirty foreigner, the best places to eat bad food, accusing James of being rich (I'm not), cats and housing deposits and we have our first ever FREE game giveaway (though you have to be quick).

capsule_467x181.jpg

Links:
Esteban's own podcast Call of Podcast
Half Minute Theatre (1 episode of 6)
Gaijin Style

Scorecast_64.png
The Scorecast - episode 22 (Apr 15, 2014, 1:24:14/48.1Mb)
In Paul's absence Seth and James speak with Esteban Salazar, producer at Marvelous AQL, about working as a producer in Japan, being a gaijin in Japan and, Inevitably, cats. We have the first ever free game giveaway too!

Orbital_Drop_Mid_2.jpg
col0.jpg

Episode 23 is up. We have a long discussion about Infamous Second Son, Child of Light, the E.T. dig and more region-locking woes of the foreign consumer in Japan.

Scorecast_64.png
The Scorecast - episode 23 (May 2, 2014, 1:18:34 / 45.5Mb)
Philip, Seth, Paul & James have a long spoiler-filled discussion about Infamous Second Son, Child of Light, the mobile marketplace, the digging up of ET cartridges and more woes of the foreign gamer in Japan.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Why does every one of these type of podcasts have to have a damn chip tune intro?!

Oh well, going to check this out, anyway.

Top Bottom