• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Scribblenauts Official Thread of imagination revelations

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Awesome OP! And it reminds me of the extra month we have to wait =( Yes I know its been said a thousand times but fuck you all know its sad =(

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Firestorm said:
Drawn to Life sold over a million copies. It's what is funding Scribblenauts.
I know how successful it is in monetary value, but in terms of general acceptance from other gamers on geek forums such as GAF? It wasn't until Scribblenauts under-the-radar showing at E3, and consequential nerd impressions, that it received the hype that 5th Cell's games so justly deserve. Back when Scribblenauts was announced in Dec last year it received nothing but a mere whimper compared to the impressions thread.

And even then I'm sure the average poster on a gaming forum still considers Drawn to Life to be a child's game.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
speedpop said:
I know how successful it is in monetary value, but in terms of general acceptance from other gamers on geek forums such as GAF? It wasn't until Scribblenauts under-the-radar showing at E3, and consequential nerd impressions, that it received the hype that 5th Cell's games so justly deserve. Back when Scribblenauts was announced in Dec last year it received nothing but a mere whimper compared to the impressions thread.

And even then I'm sure the average poster on a gaming forum still considers Drawn to Life to be a child's game.

The December reveal blew the minds off of people here, but I think in general people were still really skeptical of how the concept could possibly work. E3 was definitely a watershed moment when 5th cell actually seemed to have delivered. After that, it just went nuts.

Feep

Banned
So, I finally got to meet up Jeremiah and Edison Yan today, which was a pleasure. Much of the 5th Cell team seemed to know who I was. :D YEAH internet famous.

As usual, the buzz was nothing but positive. I can't wait to really sink my teeth into the challenge of the real thing. September 15th can't come soon enough.

Nice thread, someone make it an awesomer banner though!

Been obsessed with this since last December, and I've got two pre-orders, one from Gamestop to get a rooster hat and one from Tronix for SPEED. I'm in Europe though, so either way I won't be playing it for a few days after this thread explodes. Which sucks a lot.

Anyone know when we'll start seeing reviews? I assume IGN have the world exclusive on that front but when are they publishing it?

We got out first review already, and I'm not sure what to make of it. It's from the Canadian version of G4 on a show called "Reviews on the Run"

http://g4tv.ca/

Click the "Reviews on the Run". It'll be the September 4th episode.

7.0 and 7.5

Now, the reason I'm unsure of it is that their review does not really match up with the score. Like, they spent about 3 minutes explaining the game, saying how it does a great job at what it's suppose to do, how much fun they had, etc. Then, for the last like 30 seconds they mention how the controls can be goofy and mess things up. People have definitely talked about the control issues before, but that was their only complaint and the game lost like 3 points because of it. Seems weird.

The only other thing was that I thought the game was still under review embargo. Guess it isn't?

Anyways, definitely not the best review and I'm kinda hoping they rated it lower due to the E3 hype. Control issues won't be a dealbreaker for me because I'm sure I'll just get used to them...but it could be a dealbreaker to a lot of people.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Hmm, there are always going to be a few reviews like that.
But I've only ever noticed a few outlets talking about control issues, like 1up, and actual member impressions here haven't mentioned the controls really, so I'm not worried.

Son of Godzilla said:
So by "no adjectives" does that forgo actual species of animals in favor of genus or w/e the hell the next higher category is? The idea of anything but well known species getting their complete due kinda blows my mind.

I don't think so. I saw someone summon a "Forest Nymph", which would make me assume there are other types of nymphs, so they probably have that for real animals too.

Well, there's a difference between different breeds/types of something and adjectives. Like, if you type in "red house" or "master sword" you'll just get a normal house and a normal sword.

But "dog" is different than "bulldog" is different than "rottweiler" is different than "golden lab" is different than...well...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-kF5u1JJVo

Jackson

The "review" isn't real they scored a preview build what they did was unethical they broke the review embargo date early by reviewing an older preview build that had lots purposefully missing they should know better and you won't find this "review" online. I'm typing from my iPhone at PAX so excuse my sentence structure

BorkBork

Jackson said:
The "review" isn't real they scored a preview build what they did was unethical they broke the review embargo date early by reviewing an older preview build that had lots purposefully missing they should know better and you won't find this "review" online. I'm typing from my iPhone at PAX so excuse my sentence structure

Go go videogame journalism!

Jackson said:

Did you write a complaint? I mean I don't want the only video game journalism tv shown on a mainstream tv channel in Canada to become worthless :(.

Animator

I have zero interest in the DS but this game makes me want to pick one up. Gonna see if I can score a cheap used DS from craigslist or something.

Phreaker

I really want to play this, but I'm not much of a portable game (other than iPhone) and I'm not going to buy a DS. Hopefully it will come to Xbox Live Arcade or PSN in time.

Shiggy

Did we already know that 5th Cell currently has two new original IPs in production? One for 2009 and another for 2010.

I'm obviously getting this for DS, but if this somehow made its way to iphone too, I'd double dip.

It's an absolute perfect fit.

I mean I don't want the only video game journalism tv shown on a mainstream tv channel in Canada to become worthless :(

It's Canadian television. BECOME worthless? Too late.

(I'm Canadian. I can get away with saying this.)

That show's probably just trying to get attention, and we've unwittingly given it. Oh well.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Shiggy said:
Did we already know that 5th Cell currently has two new original IPs in production? One for 2009 and another for 2010.

I'm fairly certain you don't mean that they have an original IP in production for 2009, given that retail release calendars for the year are essentially frozen already.

Jackson said:

...what? Seriously? That's bizarre! I knew something was up with the review...like I said, the score didn't match up with their words and it seemed really early. But I didn't realize it was this underhanded bullshit.

Wow.

razdor2k

Banned
Jackson said:

Omfg, I never trusted other sites then IGN / Gamespot....

Really, if thats low site gave 7.0/ 7.5 only cus of the controls early problems, EVEN GAMESPOT CAN GIVE THIS GAME MORE THEN 9.5? :O?

Game of the forever, 15/09/09 = You will be MINE~!!!

Jackson, i can't believe your still with us, i wish you will still post after the game hits, maybe random topics of walkthrough or stuff... that would be neat, but i guess you'll be skipping for your next project up next ^^

razdor2k

Banned
The_Technomancer said:
Hmm, interesting question is; have the controls been tweaked at all since the preview builds went out?

I really want to answer that, even tho i don't know the excect answer.

I bought and played both Drawn to life and Lock's quest.

Ive enjoyed both great times. and completed them both.

I want you to realize one thing, ON BOTH GAMES I HAD NO PROBLEMS WITH ANY OF THE CONTROLS.

and like Scribblenauts, most of the controls are touchscreen-ed.

So i guess the final build of scribblenauts won't have any control problems.

but lets wait for official word or for the game to come out will we? ^^

EDIT: wow guys, enter scribblenauts.com Download section, enter Widget and click on download, a new window will open with a kewl new scribblenauts loop song ^^

Ca1amity

Neo Member
SirPenguin said:
We got out first review already, and I'm not sure what to make of it. It's from the Canadian version of G4 on a show called "Reviews on the Run"

http://g4tv.ca/

Click the "Reviews on the Run". It'll be the September 4th episode.

Canadian G4 is a million times worse than regular G4. I dont know how they managed it... but they did.

Blizzard

Banned
The_Technomancer said:
Hmm, interesting question is; have the controls been tweaked at all since the preview builds went out?
No, I believe Jackson (personally via PM possibly) confirmed that the controls haven't changed since E3.

And like I've said before, people are playing it (see the reports in the PAX thread of people basically saying it's everything they hoped it would be) and liking it. Sure, there will probably be some things where you try to shoot an object or move an object and it doesn't go right the first time. But I don't think we need to worry about it being a great game, as long as we don't expect total perfection. :)

Oxx

I usually wait until just before release before ordering, but I can't really see anywhere in the UK beating Gameplay's £22.99 price.

34 days...

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Blizzard said:
No, I believe Jackson (personally via PM possibly) confirmed that the controls haven't changed since E3.

And like I've said before, people are playing it (see the reports in the PAX thread of people basically saying it's everything they hoped it would be) and liking it. Sure, there will probably be some things where you try to shoot an object or move an object and it doesn't go right the first time. But I don't think we need to worry about it being a great game, as long as we don't expect total perfection. :)
Yeah, what I think is the case is that the controls have something of a learning curve that makes them seem awkward at first; I remember one hands on where they said it was better to tap exactly where you wanted Maxwell to go rather than just a general direction for him to head, and that it took some getting used to.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I better get there early when the game comes out, I don't want gamestop giving away my hat by mistake to someone else.

Been excited for this game ever since that first trailer was released on IGN many moons ago. Can't believe it's just a few days from now. Probably my last DS game of the year so it's going to last me for awhile. :D

Unicorn

Ten days left. My friends and I are going to have so much fun trying to stump each other with our own levels we make. Mmmmmmmmmmmm

So word on the street (well, on some blog I read) is that the rooster hat is being offered to Canadian EB customers. I tried to confirm via their website but dear GOD do they have a horrible website.

Any Canadian GAFers know what's up?

BorkBork

SirPenguin said:
So word on the street (well, on some blog I read) is that the rooster hat is being offered to Canadian EB customers. I tried to confirm via their website but dear GOD do they have a horrible website.

Any Canadian GAFers know what's up?

They have a poster about it in the DS section of the store, so I'm assuming yes, the rooster hat is still a go with preorders.

Top Bottom