• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Scribblenauts Official Thread of imagination revelations

Any Canadian GAFers know what's up?

I pre-ordered mine a few weeks ago and the cashier asked if I wanted the hat as well. So it is available to Canadians; I'm not sure if that's still the case - they may have run out - but we did get 'em.

Dead Man Typing: DS chargers aren't too hard to acquire if you lose yours. I saw them available in Future Shop for less than ten bucks, if I recall correctly.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Aw my gawd, haven't been following since a while. This soon?! Importing this for sure

Ender A6

Neo Member
after playing this game yesterday, seeing more of it today, and meeting a few of the 5th cell people, i cant wait for this game. Great people, great game, i'm going to have to get another ds so i dont have to share this game with my wife.

Jme

Finally an official thread. Good work SirPenguin. Nothing more to say other than I CAN NOT WAIT for Tuesday (or more likely Wednesday is when GameStop will get it in along with my Rooster Hat).

So I got a chance to play this at PAX yesterday (it was awesome). What was MORE awesome was overhearing one of their designers (Jeff?) talking to my friends about the game, and how much stuff they put in it.

"There was this guy named Feep that made this post on GAF about the game, and it circled all over the internet, and was a pretty huge deal for us. It was about how he used a time machine to get a dinosaur (which you can do btw). So it helped spread the word so well, we put him in the game as thanks."

He then proved it by entering Feep. If you didn't already know, you are
a zombie robot

Blizzard

Banned
Rapping Granny said:
I can't wait for this, but I have a feeling this would be the most overhyped game in Gaf since KZ2.
Good to see you're still a cheerful little flower, Rapping Granny. ;p

Unfortunately, as I have probably cynically stated in the other Scribblenauts thread, that's kind of the way in the world for anything that people look forward to. That's also why I keep saying people should have low/average expectations.

This is NeoGAF, where people can and will complain about multiple aspects of any game that has ever come out, no matter how good or bad it may be. If lots of people are looking forward to a game, then it's pretty much guaranteed that some people will expect perfection, or at least too much from a game. If lots of people love it, you can almost guarantee that some review sites will hate it, and there will probably be a group of people (especially on NeoGAF) who band together to complain about how they didn't like it, how it was overrated, how the puzzles were too easy after they used GameFAQs solutions, how the graphics weren't HD, how it wasn't on the iPhone or Wii or 360 or PS3 or PC, how the word "dildo" wasn't in the game, how the controls aren't as precise as KZ2, how you can't have enough objects to make an army of zombies vs. ninjas, and so on.

Long story short, I'm trying to keep my expectations relatively low, but what I've seen of the game combined with the developer feedback combined with people actually playing the game at E3 and PAX and enjoying it -- those things mean that I think it will be a fun game. A unique game. A game with imagination and creativity and silliness. Not the best game in the history of the universe, nor a game without problems.

Unfortunately, if people like it, it will still no doubt be thought of as "overrated" by those who do not. :(

NIN90

I was really excited when I saw "Europe - 10/09/09" but then I got reminded that you crazy english-speaking people use the date in a different way. :(

NIN90 said:
I was really excited when I saw "Europe - 10/09/09" but then I got reminded that you crazy english-speaking people use the date in a different way. :(

That'd be heartbreaking if I was in your shoes...I'll change it right now

Anyways, Victor Lucas admits they fucked up with the Scribblenauts review. They'll even re-review it, which is hilarious

http://bb.elecplay.com/viewtopic.php?t=11541

I like that they're admitting their mistakes, though it's borderline "excuses excuses excuses". I mean it's not like it matters WHY they did it...they should have known reviewing a preview build was silly! We also seem to get the embargo end date...September 14th, the day before release. No big surprise there, I guess.

edit: I forgot an entire word!

hatchx

Banned
AniHawk said:
Already preordered and paid for in full.

This better be the best game I've ever played.

Seconded. I pre-ordered it based on the hype alone. Last time I did that (GTA4) left me pretty unhappy.

WowBaby

I wonder if they'll have a lot of copies of the game at the Nintendo World Store event. I would hat to go down there and not be able to get a copy at least for my son, as well as some freebies maybe.

EzLink

Banned
SirPenguin said:
That'd be heartbreaking if I was in your shoes...I'll change it right now

Anyways, Victor Lucas they fucked up with the Scribblenauts review. They'll even re-review it, which is hilarious

http://bb.elecplay.com/viewtopic.php?t=11541

I like that they're admitting their mistakes, though it's borderline "excuses excuses excuses". I mean it's not like it matters WHY they did it...they should have known reviewing a preview build was silly! We also seem to get the embargo end date...September 14th, the day before release. No big surprise there, I guess.

Lolz :lol

I know they only had a preview build, but what score did they give it? Not that it matters, I never really put much stock in their reviews anyway

Blizzard

Banned
Anihawk said:
Already preordered and paid for in full.

This better be the best game I've ever played.

hatchx said:
Seconded. I pre-ordered it based on the hype alone. Last time I did that (GTA4) left me pretty unhappy.
I can tell you both to cancel your preorders now. If you can think of a game that is literally the "best game you've ever played" (I can't) then it will probably have some aspects that Scribblenauts won't. :p

Plus this way, you can feel left out for several weeks, finally order the game to be like everyone else, and THEN talk about how you regret getting it and it's overrated and everyone else shouldn't have been enjoying it and convincing you to get it. :lol

And EzLink, if that's the Canadian show, they gave it like 7/10 or something. They had negative comments about the controls and (according to someone posting here) that was mostly the only negative thing? *shrug*

AniHawk

Blizzard said:
I can tell you both to cancel your preorders now. If you can think of a game that is literally the "best game you've ever played" (I can't) then it will probably have some aspects that Scribblenauts won't. :p

Plus this way, you can feel left out for several weeks, finally order the game to be like everyone else, and THEN talk about how you regret getting it and it's overrated and everyone else shouldn't have been enjoying it and convincing you to get it. :lol

And EzLink, if that's the Canadian show, they gave it like 7/10 or something. They had negative comments about the controls and (according to someone posting here) that was mostly the only negative thing? *shrug*

Yeah, except I was joking. I'm really looking forward to the game, but I don't expect it to be best game of all-time quality. However, it may be the one real badass game on the DS, like how the Wii has SMG and the PS360 has Mirror's Edge.

Blizzard

Banned
AniHawk said:
Yeah, except I was joking. I'm really looking forward to the game, but I don't expect it to be best game of all-time quality. However, it may be the one real badass game on the DS, like how the Wii has SMG and the PS360 has Mirror's Edge.
Rather sarcastic to boot.

I guess that was the part I missed. ;p

I played this at PAX (long line!) and it was pretty tough. I only played one level, and man this really makes you think :lol

This was the setup my level had:
Maxwell was standing on ground and there was an opening half-way through that went down to water. In the water were barracuda's that eat you. The starite was hanging from a rope (end of which was a little bit above the water) attached to a board placed horizontal over the hole.

Here's the solutions I tried, starting with the one that worked:

I pushed the board sideways and it fell into the hole. I then dropped a toaster into the water to kill the barracuda's, and then went into the water. The board was floating and stopping me from going beneath it to grab the starite, so a quick jackhammer later, I put on some scuba gear and got that little bastard!

I also tried attaching a bunch of balloons to the wood plank at top to make it raise up so I could grab the starite, but I had 4 balloons on and it wasn't really lifting it up much, so instead of continuing to attach balloons, which I would imagine would have worked if I put more on, I tried something else so people didn't have to wait for me to put 20 balloons on the board.

I tried to put a raft at the bottom of the hole so it would catch the starite and I could safely jump through to get the starite without getting eaten by the barracuda's, but the raft was too wide to fit.

I tried using a fishing rod to get the barracuda's out, but for some reason I can't remember what I did wrong. IIRC, I just couldn't figure out how to use it.

Nothing too original (and the winning solution I got from one of the programmers after he saw me failing a lot) but it was still fun to play and this will definitely be a day one game for me.

KScorp

Epic OP. One that Scribblenauts deserves, that's for sure.
CAN. NOT. WAIT.

Also, I can't help but ask if this will be the only official Scribblenauts thread here. There is so much to discuss about this game, such as your own solutions for levels (especially bizarre ones) and then there is level sharing. Will separate threads emerge for each? (Sorry, I'm a Junior. I still don't know how things work around here. :lol)

And, I finally got a good Starite avatar. =3

Orison

Neo Member
SirPenguin said:
So word on the street (well, on some blog I read) is that the rooster hat is being offered to Canadian EB customers. I tried to confirm via their website but dear GOD do they have a horrible website.

Any Canadian GAFers know what's up?
I'm interested to know if this is true or not as well. My local EB here in BC didn't have a clue at all, last time I asked, and, yes, EBGames.ca is godawful. They're still listing FF4DS as a "new release" on the DS page.

I sure hope that they have my preorder copies in on launch day, though!

Blizzard

Banned
I just installed my Hori DSi screen protectors and tested out the case. They seem basic and functional, though the touchscreen protector is slightly shorter in height than the touchscreen itself. :) I'm ready for...EIGHT MORE DAYS :(

mr.saturn

Neo Member
I wonder if this would work for the first level....

Write sheep, cannon, gasoline, and match
Pour the gasoline on the sheep, put it in the cannon, put the lit match right next to the cannon, have the sheep launch out, catch on fire, then burn down the tree as it flies by it.

I can't wait...

Monocle

mr.saturn said:

Pour the gasoline on the sheep, put it in the cannon, put the lit match right next to the cannon, have the sheep launch out, catch on fire, then burn down the tree as it flies by it.

I can't wait...
I'm going to try a cop riding a tractor with a doctor on his shoulders. I'll give the doctor a flyswatter with a dab of glue on the end and see if he can nab the starite. Or maybe a monkey holding a vacuum and bouncing on a trampoline.

Firestorm

Never got to play it at PAX. Stupid mobs around the booth. I figured it's out next week so it'd be dumb of me to wait so long just to get a few minutes when I have it pre-ordered already. I did get to say hi to Jackson and heard one of the girls at the booth telling some showgoers about how Feep (or "the guy who made that post, post 217, that went all over the internet") dropped in.

On the Canada Pre-Order front, there was an ad in their weekly Canadian newsletter so we should get it.
razdor2k said:
Omfg, I never trusted other sites then IGN / Gamespot....

Really, if thats low site gave 7.0/ 7.5 only cus of the controls early problems, EVEN GAMESPOT CAN GIVE THIS GAME MORE THEN 9.5? :O?

Game of the forever, 15/09/09 = You will be MINE~!!!

Jackson, i can't believe your still with us, i wish you will still post after the game hits, maybe random topics of walkthrough or stuff... that would be neat, but i guess you'll be skipping for your next project up next ^^
You trust IGN and GameSpot? IGN "Exclusive Reviews!" .com and Game "We Fired A Reviewer Because He Pissed Off An Advertiser" Spot?

SirPenguin said:
...what? Seriously? That's bizarre! I knew something was up with the review...like I said, the score didn't match up with their words and it seemed really early. But I didn't realize it was this underhanded bullshit.

Wow.
I actually think it might have been a mixup. The show's been going on since I was a kid and I do have a good amount of respect for Lucas (MGS4 Bonus Disc documentary was awesome). They were at PAX so it's too bad Jackson didn't get a chance to talk to them about it.

Oops, going through the thread again it seems this was confirmed that it was a screwup. SirPenguin, I think they thought it was the preview build. They have the two episodes of RotR and 5 episodes of Electric Playground per week plus whatever else they make.

NeoZylom

Hey guys, will there be a french translation with a french word bank in the NA game? Or if we want to play it in french we have to wait for the european release and import it?

Firestorm

NeoZylom said:
Hey guys, will there be a french translation with a french word bank in the NA game? Or if we want to play it in french we have to wait for the european release and import it?
French and French (Canadian) is in the game.
Or as I like to call it, Hard Mode :D

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Omg official threadness action must subscribe!

OH MY IT IS ONLY 8 DAYS AWAY. :D

*now goes back to read thread from beginning*

Blizzard

Banned
mr.saturn said:

I can't wait...
Since I love crushing dreams, I expect that not to work. I think someone tried launching a cat with a catapault, and the catapault only fired its built-in ammo, so I'd imagine cannons would work the same way (i.e. you can't stick stuff in them, or use rubber balls for gun bullets, etc.).

Someone at Something Awful tried an idea similar to the cannon/sheep/etc. idea. Blizzard seems to be right.

I summoned a cannon and a chunk of meat so I could fire the meat over to the ditch. No dice, the game wouldn't let me load the meat into the cannon.

Blizzard

Banned
Yeah, that's what I figured. They decided to make certain items work in certain ways, and weapons seem to just be "automatically loaded weapons" instead of ammo being a separate item. Just like jetpacks have limited ammo, and some objects may be larger than you want them to be. That's why it takes experimentation. :)

And there may be other ways to do it if you can figure out something else that launches. You might not even need gasoline to set a sheep on fire, I'm guessing. I think you can just summon "fire" instead of a match to set an object on fire. And someone tried dropping an anvil on a seesaw per my request, and it apparently does work (it just doesn't launch Maxwell very far, I think).

The sad thing is, this probably means my dream of a bow and arrow with a bungee cord plumber's helper won't work either...ah well. :lol

Jackson

Anasui Kishibe said:
this is gonna be one glorious game. The Italian ONM gave it a 9, addressing some small control issues. I can live with that

Some scores will be dropping this week on magazines. I know a few of em, I'm very happy with the results. :D

But I'll let them announce themselves.

I swear, this game cant get the fuck here soon enough. It truly is next gen, even though we are still current gen. Scribble is just that good. You should be able to summon "review score" and have a 10 drop down and crush everything.

Top Bottom