• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Scribblenauts Official Thread of imagination revelations

The controls are pretty bad, to be honest. But there aren't a lot of ways they could have done them. If you did D-Pad/touchscreen control, you'd lose the ability to easily move the camera, which is important. If you made the camera shift with L, you can't move while you're offscreen and it would be pretty uncomfortable regardless.

I think there were a lot of different ways they could have done it, but probably not many better ways.

Still, it's annoyingly frustrating when the jumping is inconsistent (sometimes I can get over a truck, other times I can't; sometimes I can jump out of water before a shark kills me, other times I can't) and it unfairly feels like the controls kill me more than my bad ideas.

ZZMitch

SirPenguin said:
Amazon literally has no choice but to ship my order tomorrow if they plan on upholding their "Release Date Delivery" time. It's making me worried, but I live in the middle of nowhere in western Maine and I know it'll be a week+ before any of the local places get it

I know how you feel, I live in Maine too!

ShockingAlberto said:
The controls are pretty bad, to be honest. But there aren't a lot of ways they could have done them. If you did D-Pad/touchscreen control, you'd lose the ability to easily move the camera, which is important. If you made the camera shift with L, you can't move while you're offscreen and it would be pretty uncomfortable regardless.

I think there were a lot of different ways they could have done it, but probably not many better ways.

Still, it's annoyingly frustrating when the jumping is inconsistent (sometimes I can get over a truck, other times I can't; sometimes I can jump out of water before a shark kills me, other times I can't) and it unfairly feels like the controls kill me more than my bad ideas.
The controls are shaky yes. But I don't know, to me, it comes with the territory of this game. I'm not sure they had enough time to refine it, maybe they should talk to Miyamoto. That being said, for some reason I can quite easily overlook it. Its not a major drag to me at all.

Blizzard

Banned
Okay, more detailed thoughts for you all, and then I'll shut up about it. I know I'm not a mod, but I did PM Amir0x and I haven't received any negative PMs from him or other mods so far. He also left the picture thing up to "GAF detectives" earlier so it doesn't seem like he cared too much. :lol

Son of Godzilla said:
You should sign up for the internet junior deputy program.

Why are you in this thread again? :lol I don't mean to be rude, but I get the impression you aren't very interested in Scribblenauts or possibly DS games in general. See my above comments in this post for a serious reply though.

KScorp said:
One of the Best Buys in my area had it out today, on the shelves. One of my friends was planning on buying it day 1, so I called him up, and bought it for him. Of course, I played it a bit (~3 hours) before handing it over. :lol
I apologize then. See, this is the kind of info I wanted -- I hadn't heard about Best Buys having it early, only a Wal-Mart and a few places in NYC.

Volcynika said:
Yeah, seems like every day until the full launch will be:

"Hey guys this game is pretty great--:
"WHERE DID YOU GET IT??!@?!!"
Because...

Rez said:
talking about and using banned games should be stigmatized, though, I reckon.

it's not difficult to take a pic of the games case with a written note and post it.
Exactly. See also these posts:
Amir0x said:
ah, the pic. We have to be very protective of this sort of thing because this is a site for developers and publishers, and they have to feel this is a secure environment to discuss their games without fear of piracy. When you go around posting images of a game a week in advance, and claim you can't post pics of it and you'll lose your job, that's a red alarm.
and
Amir0x said:
Produce evidence that you have a physical copy immediately or you will be banned from GAF permanently in one hour. Tick tock.

And to quote once more like I think someone else did:
NeoGAF Terms of Service said:
Linking to pirate download sites, directions on how to get pirated software to work, reviews or impressions of pirated software will all result in the banning of the user in question.

I will stop posting in the thread about it, but I've honestly never seen a DS launch thread have as many posts that are basically blatant about pirating it, like the guy in the post 217 thread explicitly telling people to go find the ROM, or the person here posting emulator screenshots. Maybe people are this dumb in all launch threads, and I just missed it.

And even if you don't have a camera, it's not at all hard to even include a sentence in your post saying "Got my copy at Best Buy early, this game sucks/rocks/whatever". Ya know? :p It's not a hard concept to grasp, and then you don't have to worry about mods.

I apologize if my posts were annoying, and as stated, I apologize to anyone who actually does have the game, like KScorp.

To be more on-topic, please post where you find it early if you find it early, in case anyone picks it up tomorrow...or if you're like MNC and can play it in the Netherlands (or like the Futureshop people in Canada) then there are probably other people around you who'd like the info. :) Fair enough?

If I'm not mistaken, out of the 10 or so people who have gotten the game, about 4-5 have commented on the controls being iffy, too. I'm also going to try to stop replying about that particular issue, so hopefully that makes some of you happy. :D

GregLombardi said:
The controls are shaky yes. But I don't know, to me, it comes with the territory of this game. I'm not sure they had enough time to refine it, maybe they should talk to Miyamoto. That being said, for some reason I can quite easily overlook it. Its not a major drag to me at all.
Yeah. Once I get to actually sit down with the game, it will probably be something that won't bother me as much. My impressions at the time were basically "FUCK THE WOLF IS EATING YOU I'VE SEEN YOU JUMP OVER THIS LEDGE BEFORE"

Blizzard said:
If I'm not mistaken, out of the 10 or so people who have gotten the game, about 4-5 have commented on the controls being iffy, too.
For the record, I don't own the game yet. But when looking for Valkyria Chronicles, it was in the DS demo unit. I played it for about twenty minutes.

GregLombardi said:

is it like pulling someone with a string?

thats how its looked to me in videos?

totowhoa

Banned
Any chance that the dictionary array developed for this game will be sold to other developers for use in other games? This question is aimed both at Jackson or other users who have an opinion on it.

I would be really interested to see 5th cell integrate this dictionary with its pre-programmed responses into other games, along with any other developers. Adding on to this dictionary would be a necessity, of course.

I have no idea how this could be integrated into other genres off of the top of my head, but that's why I'm not a game designer... I'd love to see other developers get a chance to use this within other genres in some imaginative, unique way somehow.

Also: cannot wait for tuesday :D

KScorp

ZombieSupaStar said:
is it like pulling someone with a string?

thats how its looked to me in videos?
Kind of. It feels like you don't really have control of Maxwell, you just tell him where to go and he goes. Although it's more like "tap somewhere on the screen, and Maxwell interprets what he has to do." It makes throwing objects especially difficult, since that action requires two quick taps, and if you're too slow or if they aren't close enough to each other, Maxwell starts running off in that direction (often into the thing you're trying to shoot.) You'll find that happening a lot since Maxwell doesn't know how to calculate trajectory, so you'll have to do it manually.

I second the PC idea. Now that I've had a go at Scribblenauts, PC just seems like the natural platform for this game. If only for better control.

(Also, just to clarify, the game is still amazing. I didn't reach any four star puzzles but I already had to skip some levels due to their difficulty. This is one hell of a game!)

KScorp said:
Kind of. It feels like you don't really have control of Maxwell, you just tell him where to go and he goes. Although it's more like "tap somewhere on the screen, and Maxwell interprets what he has to do." It makes throwing objects especially difficult, since that action requires two quick taps, and if you're too slow or if they aren't close enough to each other, Maxwell starts running off in that direction (often into the thing you're trying to shoot.) You'll find that happening a lot since Maxwell doesn't know how to calculate trajectory, so you'll have to do it manually.

I second the PC idea. Now that I've had a go at Scribblenauts, PC just seems like the natural platform for this game. If only for better control.

(Also, just to clarify, the game is still amazing. I didn't reach any four star puzzles but I already had to skip some levels due to their difficulty. This is one hell of a game!)

Yeah, you really don't "control Maxwell". You're more like an omnipotent being helping him out. Maxwell has a lot of momentum and automatically jumps over small gaps and ledges--on one hand this usually helps so you don't have to literally drag him up and over small obstacles, but on the other hand it's difficult to position him exactly where you want.

On the other other hand, where Maxwell is isn't often an important part of the puzzle, since you can place objects anywhere in the level regardless of where Maxwell is. So far the "action" levels are really puzzles too, just more physics/obstacle-based.

And yeah, I'm already stumped, it's embarrassing. If someone could tell me what the hell to about a
tornado
I'd be much obliged.

Apoc29

poweld said:
3917737114_0078729508_b.jpg
Man, that Maxwell cake is so awesome. I would feel so bad about eating it :(

Absolutely. PC would just feel right. I disagree with player-created modding - do we really need a thousand different people modding genitalia? - but I might be in favour of people submitting words to 5th Cell so they can be added, and checked for parameters, for subsequent "lexicographical patches" perhaps.

If someone could tell me what the hell to about a
tornado
I'd be much obliged.

I haven't played the game yet, but how big is the tornado? Is it shrinkable, to make it a more manageable size...cause less damage etc.?

-PXG-

Apoc29 said:
Man, that Maxwell cake is so awesome. I would feel so bad about eating it :(

They cut the notebook first, then his feet. Cut off his head next (which wasn't edible) and proceeded to chop off his butt :lol

Woo-Fu

Banned
Joe Shlabotnik said:
And yeah, I'm already stumped, it's embarrassing. If someone could tell me what the hell to about a
tornado
I'd be much obliged.

I'm not there yet but you might want to try a "bombshelter". Note: this will not work for nuclear bombs, lol.

KScorp

Joe Shlabotnik said:
tornado
I'd be much obliged.
Well, if I recall correctly...
I used a grappling hook in the first ceiling crevice, then was able to jump over to the other side of the tornado. Then I just released it and ran away to get my precious starite.

Awesome.. so first of all I "solved" it myself by
tying a rope to the star and then using a fan to blow it towards the tornado. Eventually through some wonky physics the tornado just kind of shot it out to Maxwell's side.
Not the most elegant solution, but hey.

someguyinahat said:
I haven't played the game yet, but how big is the tornado? Is it shrinkable, to make it a more manageable size...cause less damage etc.?
This worked! (Again, with some luck and fiddling around.)

Woo-Fu said:
I'm not there yet but you might want to try a "bombshelter". Note: this will not work for nuclear bombs, lol.
This also worked! Specifically, by
placing the shelter towards the right side of the tornado's path, and having Maxwell hop out once the tornado had passed back to the left.

You win the Award For Elegance.

-PXG-

KScorp said:
Well, if I recall correctly...
I used a grappling hook in the first ceiling crevice, then was able to jump over to the other side of the tornado. Then I just released it and ran away to get my precious starite.

IT WORKED!!! Thank YOU!

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Joe Shlabotnik said:
tornado
I'd be much obliged.
Tornado doesn't hurt you, just get a jet pack, time it right, and fly though the space when its at its farthest right.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Can someone type in silver hammer and see what happens?

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Drkirby said:
Tornado doesn't hurt you, just get a jet pack, time it right, and fly though the space when its at its farthest right.

Yeah, that's what I did,
only I used GAF.

Wow. Wish I still lived in NY. I wish I didn't have to wait until Tuesday, but it's going to be more than worth it.

I have 3 friends getting this now who hadn't heard of it, adn two buying DS Tuesday and the game just for it! So I'm going to keep spreading the word, I'm sure that's what everyone has been doing.

Looks like I missed some big thing, people with illegal ROMS and such. I don't know why they would even mention that in this thread, must be complete morons. Not to mention illegally getting a game more than worth it's price.

I'll be ducking out of here for now, dont want to be tempted to read what people are doing or trying. Feel bad for anyone who checks out the dictionary, it'll ruin the main experience.

Good luck 5th Cell. I hope you make bucket loads of money faster than you could write down the profits. The game is genius and a truly original idea that has obviously captivated the imagination and minds of the internet and is going to be loved by hopefully millions and millions.

Jhoan

GregLombardi said:
Went, met Johan (spelling?), and bought wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too much shit. Here are some pics!

eissy.jpg

2nr2by8.jpg

jl30wk.jpg

This event was fucking awesome, props to the team there! I'm so happy I got a chicken hat, as that's what I really wanted!

There's some other cool stuff you can see in my pics that they were handing out, but yeah the maxwell cake was definitely the most awesome thing I saw there.

Its Jipan :p
Johan is my nickname. If you switch the H following the O, you get my real name.
I still haven't found my USB cable so I might either edit this post and upload them, or post them on an individual post. Stay tuned. Also I'd like to give a huge shoutout to Jeremiah, Marius, Eric (correct me if I'm wrong), all the guys at 5th Cell, Stephen Totilo, and all the GAFfers who I met, especially you, Greg Lombardi. It was a pleasure talking to and meeting all of you. I'd love to get together again (GAFFers) some other time. Again, pics coming soon.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
-PXG- said:
longcat, tacgnol, lolwut, gamer and virgin are the same thing

:(

...And Dac

Lol.

IceMarker

MEME SPOILERS BELOW
/v/ said:
-Keyboard Cat
-Ceiling Cat
-Longcat
-Tacgnol
-Rick Roll
-Allyourbasearebelongtous
-Feep
-O RLY
-YA RLY
-NeoGAF
-Ancient Chinese History
-POST TWO SEVENTEEN
-LOL WUT

ZZMitch said:
I know how you feel, I live in Maine too!

Wow, glad to see I'm not the only one here in Maine! I think you two are the third and fourth people from Maine I've seen on here. Good to know that some other people here have to suffer the snow.

Aww yeah, ScribbleMainers. I'm currently in college at UMF...which adds another layer of annoyance. Are ALL college mailrooms utterly insane? Mail is delivered at 2:30pm but the FedEx guys come at 3:30. You can't pick up packages without a yellow slip, but the yellow slip is delivered with the mail at 2:30, meaning you can't pick anything up until the next day. And if your package is delivered on a Friday you can't pick it up until at least Monday evening because they're closed on weekends

man!

-PXG-

SirPenguin said:
Aww yeah, ScribbleMainers. I'm currently in college at UMF...which adds another layer of annoyance. Are ALL college mailrooms utterly insane? Mail is delivered at 2:30pm but the FedEx guys come at 3:30. You can't pick up packages without a yellow slip, but the yellow slip is delivered with the mail at 2:30, meaning you can't pick anything up until the next day!

man!

Harsh. At least you're school has stable online. Mine doesn't. Online gaming is hit or miss. Mostly miss. I really hope they fix it soon.

ZZMitch

SirPenguin said:
Aww yeah, ScribbleMainers. I'm currently in college at UMF...which adds another layer of annoyance. Are ALL college mailrooms utterly insane? Mail is delivered at 2:30pm but the FedEx guys come at 3:30. You can't pick up packages without a yellow slip, but the yellow slip is delivered with the mail at 2:30, meaning you can't pick anything up until the next day. And if your package is delivered on a Friday you can't pick it up until at least Monday evening because they're closed on weekends

man!

Nice, my friend Is going to UMF next year, I hope she can deal with that mail thing :lol ! I am a Junior at Scarborough High School...

As to not derail the thread into a Mainerfest... Another meme is

I see what you did there
I don't have the game, but someone pointed it out earlier on the thread.

ZZMitch said:
Nice, my friend Is going to UMF next year, I hope she can deal with that mail thing :lol ! I am a Junior at Scarborough High School...

As to not derail the thread into a Mainerfest... Another meme is

I see what you did there
I don't have the game, but someone pointed it out earlier on the thread.

Nice! I'm a Junior myself at Yarmouth, so not that far away. Actually, my dad works in Scarborough.

Anyways, back on topic. This will definitely be a Christmas present this year. I wish I could get it sooner, but money is tight right now for me, and I need to keep my car fueled if I want to get to school everyday among other things.

Top Bottom