• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Scribblenauts Official Thread of imagination revelations

The controls on this game are frustrating as hell sometimes, which kills a lot of the fun for me. Great concept, and i'll keep playing, but it's most amazing point is the technical achievement of putting so many things in there.

ChuckyChick

Neo Member
I didn't get a game. The one I got was for my friend, I'm getting mine from Amazon. I did get to sample playing though.

There's something wonderful about making a pit with an H bomb, traping people in it, and adding a fire ant...

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
HOLY FUCK.

I let my friend try out the game, and he spawned Medusa, and then killed her with a fucking mirror.

Even after an ENTIRE day of Scribblenauts, this game still has my jaw to the floor.

Captain N

Dacvak said:
HOLY FUCK.

I let my friend try out the game, and he spawned Medusa, and then killed her with a fucking mirror.

Even after an ENTIRE day of Scribblenauts, this game still has my jaw to the floor.

LOVE your avatar!

I will be running to Gamestop on Tuesday in hopes to get my rooster hat.

jrricky

Banned
Yo guys, it was a great day. Nice to have met some GAFers. Oh and PXG, it sure is a small world eh? 5th cell is such an amazing team, thanks again guys, especially Jeremiah.

Here are the pics:
Boss people from behind when I was in poster autograph line: from left to right - Marius, Jeremiah and Edy.
Scribblenautslaunch028.jpg

Cake line...and a little of Dac:
Scribblenauts014.jpg

Scribblenauts013.jpg

The Maxwell Cake©:
Scribblenautslaunch032.jpg

Scribblenautslaunch029.jpg

The Maxwell Cake© being dismembered infront of the kids D:
Scribblenauts011.jpg

Oh, the humanity...
Scribblenautslaunch037.jpg

Here is some cake (and apparently someone's feet) for those that werent there
dont ask which part of the body, oh and no deductive reasoning either >:/
:
Scribblenautslaunch039.jpg

Group pics, from left to right - shinobu, Jipan, Dac the vak, Jeremiah "Jackson" Bossman, PXG, and me:
Scribblenauts019.jpg

Lol, was supposed to be pointing at Jeremiah; bad eye-hand coordination :lol
Scribblenauts020.jpg

Group pic 2, from left to right - PXG half face:lol , Jeremiah "Jackson" Bossman, shinobu's short self being crushed in the back :lol, Marius, Jipan, and me:
Scribblenauts024.jpg

Ma poster with a shoutout to Post 217 and feeps zombie robot:
002.jpg

Animated group pic :D -
scribblepic.gif

And to end it off, some animated feet (was testing the camera flash out and didint realize till after :lol ):
from left to right, if I remember correctly - me (blue), jipan (white i think) and dac
scribblepic2.gif

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
On memes, can't believe no one has mentioned this, but
Giant Enemy Crab! Hit its weak point for massive damage.

Amazing launch, amazing pics, amazing GAF. I have reactions to a bunch of posts on the last two pages also but I kind of want to get my hands on the game first, which I would like to be AS SOON AS HUMANLY POSSIBLE.

Edit: Dac, that anecdote is, after months of being inundated with Scribblenauts storytime, the most epic thing I have heard about the game so far. Stunned.

You might wanna spoilertag it though. :D

Blizzard

Banned
The pictures being posted make me happy. Unlike with that Advance Wars debacle, people from the internet managed to meet up without anyone being murdered. :lol

jrricky

Banned
-PXG- said:
I didn't bother taking pictures, since everyone else was.

Speaking of which, where's jrricky at? No way I got back home before he did :lol
Was home at around 4:30 - 5, grabbed some food, touched the bed, and didn't remember what happened to me after.:lol

EzLink

Banned
Pretty unfortunate that controls seem so bad. I mean, I knew there would be issues with them, but a lot of the impressions are making them seem like they really destroy a lot of the fun

jrricky

Banned
ShinoguTakeruKoeru said:
I just love this picture, anyone else who looks at that would be like WHO THE HELL IS THAT KID BEHIND THEM? :lol
I know, I felt so bad when you showed me the pic of you being hidden.:lol

POWERSPHERE said:
The controls on this game are frustrating as hell sometimes, which kills a lot of the fun for me. Great concept, and i'll keep playing, but it's most amazing point is the technical achievement of putting so many things in there.
Would have been much better if the d-pad moved max, and holding L and using the d-pad moved the camera I think. Also, sometimes I feel like the par system discourages outlandish and creative solutions, as using the few cheaper things (like wings) over and over will get you more money.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
EzLink said:
Pretty unfortunate that controls seem so bad. I mean, I knew there would be issues with them, but a lot of the impressions are making them seem like they really destroy a lot of the fun

I predict a fair amount of posts refuting this assumption

jrricky

Banned
Hey guys, check your PMs: Jeremiah, dac, PXG, shinogu, and jipan.

Cool then, PXG...

Mad that I cant pick the game up until after launch. :-/

Check out the level editor guys, and tell me what its like...

BobFromPikeCreek said:
Would have been much better if the d-pad moved max, and holding L and using the d-pad moved the camera I think. Also, sometimes I feel like the par system discourages outlandish and creative solutions, as using the few cheaper things (like wings) over and over will get you more money.

The Wal-Mart in my hometown broke its street date and now my sister has a copy. She gold starred a few levels (and played all of the levels in world 1) and has enough money to buy the last world. She did, in fact, and promptly got stuck on some level with lava in it

Also it's funny to see how casual gamers differ from "core" gamers. I spoke with her earlier tonight about the game and asked her if she had a hard time with the controls. She said "sometimes the main guy is really stupid and messes it up, it's so funny" :lol

Up until this point, I equate the controls issue to a minor nuisance, like the Owl's explanations in Ocarina of Time or the blocky graphics in FF7. The controls have nothing to do with this game, they're not even a part of why I'm playing the game, and to me, they matter little to the game.

That opinion might change depending on the ridiculous puzzles / actions of the later stages, but so far I'm truly about as indifferent about the controls as I could be.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
It's actually really funny, I literally never noticed the controls, which is a very good thing. Yeah, I guess d-pad movement would be nice, but you already have to use the stylus so much to control the action.

Either way, this is a puzzle game, not a platformer. Even the actiony stages are paced in a way that makes these controls fine.

Personally, I not only see why they chose to control the game like this, but I kinda like it. That's just me, though.

If you are in NYC and want an unopened copy of Scribblenauts, send me a PM. I'm only gonna ask for what I paid (I have the receipt, you can have it with the game.)

A friend ended up buying me one as a gift as well, so now I have an extra copy. At first I was just gonna return mine to Nintendo World Store, but then I thought... maybe someone here wants it?

If no one wants it, I'll return it on Tuesday/Wednesday.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
How are you supposed to solve 10-6, I can't imagine my way being very close to "intended" way.

I got a rope, put it on the right steel thing, attached a large air vent to it, made everything blow to the left, attached a second rope to the left steel thing and the cage, got rid of the fan, got a pick, broke the cage, grabbed the star while it was falling

AniHawk

Captain N said:
Make sure you remember Toys R Us won't have it until Tuesday

Yep, I know. I'll probably wait a couple days before returning Scribblenauts to Gamestop, and I'd probably do it to a different store.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Weird I got a call from EB on Saturday asking me to pick it up on Tuesday. That's new. But I haven't preordered stuff for a long while.

How do you make gates with switches in the level editor? Can you make certain people unkillable without failure? Is there a way to get security cameras and tripwires that trigger events?

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
So, I was going to wait until Christmas to get this game, but I don't think I can wait. Especially with that Toys "R" Us deal. I'm gonna have to get it on Tuesday...

P.S. awesome pictures, up there!

crispyben

I was away for a few weeks, and searched for the answer to my question, but no luck: which languages do the US and UK versions of the game contain? I'd like mine to have both English and French :D Thanks.

Awww man :/ Just found out that due to some last minute bills (rent and internet), my finances will be good and dried up until Thursday. Was really looking forward to playing it Tuesday.

I had to ask though, for those who have the game already. How robust is the level creator? I was thinking it might be fun to try and recreate the famous castle segment in SMB with maybe a dragon representing Bowser and having to cut the bridge to rescue a "princess". But it depends on just how the level creator works.

Orison

Neo Member
crispyben said:
I was away for a few weeks, and searched for the answer to my question, but no luck: which languages do the US and UK versions of the game contain? I'd like mine to have both English and French :D Thanks.
According to Big Boss himself, the North American version will have English, French, and Spanish, as well as French Canadian, and some dialect variation for Spanish, can't remember offhand. I don't know what the UK version will have.

crispyben

Orison said:
According to Big Boss himself, the North American version will have English, French, and Spanish, as well as French Canadian, and some dialect variation for Spanish, can't remember offhand. I don't know what the UK version will have.
Thanks. Are you referring to this post? Because he only mentions Canadian French, not French French, and there are a lot of vocabulary differences between these two...

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
crispyben said:

I can't find the sources for this, but so far as I remember:

NA version has English, two varieties of French (one of them Canadian the other, presumably French) and two varieties of Spanish.

In Europe there is a whole host of languages: English, French, German, Spanish, Italian of course and also Swedish, Finnish - I imagine there are plenty more where they come from - but it isn't clear yet whether all of these come on the same cartridge or whether there will be different subsets. I've certainly seen video demos in French and Finnish.

Vitet

phisheep said:
I can't find the sources for this, but so far as I remember:

NA version has English, two varieties of French (one of them Canadian the other, presumably French) and two varieties of Spanish.

In Europe there is a whole host of languages: English, French, German, Spanish, Italian of course and also Swedish, Finnish - I imagine there are plenty more where they come from - but it isn't clear yet whether all of these come on the same cartridge or whether there will be different subsets. I've certainly seen video demos in French and Finnish.

US version will have Canadian French and Latin Spanish I presume, and EU version will have Spain Spanish and France French

Nachkebia

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
The controls are pretty bad, to be honest. But there aren't a lot of ways they could have done them. If you did D-Pad/touchscreen control, you'd lose the ability to easily move the camera, which is important. If you made the camera shift with L, you can't move while you're offscreen and it would be pretty uncomfortable regardless.

I think there were a lot of different ways they could have done it, but probably not many better ways.

Still, it's annoyingly frustrating when the jumping is inconsistent (sometimes I can get over a truck, other times I can't; sometimes I can jump out of water before a shark kills me, other times I can't) and it unfairly feels like the controls kill me more than my bad ideas.

Same thoughts exactly, why is he so fast? is there any reason why is he soo freaking fast? it is almost impossible to control him! also how the fuck can I dive underwater without submarine! aqualung does not work! :lol

rhino4evr

Nachkebia said:
Same thoughts exactly, why is he so fast? is there any reason why is he soo freaking fast? it is almost impossible to control him! also how the fuck can I dive underwater without submarine! aqualung does not work! :lol

did you try scuba?

Orpheon

Banned
Possibly due to the fact that what one could do to Jesus may offend some, whilst the representation of GOD is too comical to draw equal offence.

Probably the same reason why they didn't put in Krishna or Buddha.

soqquatto

I get around the jumping suckyness by using wings (much better than jetpack) but yes the controls and responsiveness are horrible.

the main "fun" of the game seem to derive from your weirdness, how willing you are to experiment, but if you mentally break down the game to its minimum parts you can "cheat" past all the levels using always the same stuff over and over unless you have specific requests.

also, what's the trick in surviving an atomic bomb? I've tried with a normal shelter but it does not work, help my limited enligh skills pls!

ascully

soqquatto said:
also, what's the trick in surviving an atomic bomb? I've tried with a normal shelter but it does not work, help my limited enligh skills pls!

My first thought would be to use Indy's trick and use a lead lined fridge.

Kworn

Banned
Wings are awesome, jetpack not so much.

I am having trouble with level 1-9 or something in the supermarket. You have to pick up 3 items and then take them to the till to pay for them.

I get all the items into the basket then go to the cashier and place the items on the barcode scan table. But they just bounce on the table when I place or scan, I have even tried thowing at the shop assistant, which did not work in my favour as she came at me with her fists.

So I just summoned a nuke and blew us both up.

Really frustrating controls sometimes.

Kworn said:
Wings are awesome, jetpack not so much.

I am having trouble with level 1-9 or something in the supermarket. You have to pick up 3 items and then take them to the till to pay for them.

I get all the items into the basket then go to the cashier and place the items on the barcode scan table. But they just bounce on the table when I place or scan, I have even tried thowing at the shop assistant, which did not work in my favour as she came at me with her fists.

So I just summoned a nuke and blew us both up.

Really frustrating controls sometimes.

Overthinking it. Just.. pay for them. :)

soqquatto

Orpheon said:
Bomb diffuser/de-activator?

I want to survive the blast, not prevent it.

and, anyone ever used a teleporter? I ended up once on the moon, once in a cave with mummies and a vampire hunter and once in the developers' office. nothing much to do.

Kworn

Banned
Joe Shlabotnik said:
Overthinking it. Just.. pay for them. :)

So if I just put them in the basket and summon some money then tap on the cashier and drop money on her that would work?

Also, the one with the broken car. That is frustrating me so much, I summoned a mechanic, then a wrench. Thought this would do the job but the mechanic just stands there with wrench in hand doing nothing. I tried to get him to fix the car, but all he did was get in it, arrrrggghhh.

Cool game

Top Bottom