• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The secret door to nowhere in Castlevania: Rondo of Blood...and other great gaming mysteries?

VGEsoterica

Ok so real talk time...does anyone know what the intention behind the hidden door in a hidden area on Stage 5 of Castlevania: Rondo of blood?

It's been over 15 years since I first played Rondo of Blood and I have never stopped thinking about this damn door. You have to solve two different environmental puzzles to even get to the hidden room where the door is...and when you get there? A glowing door (or missing a texture door) that is inaccessible...in a room that is empty save for a chair and four candles that give you hearts.

Try the Konami code? NOTHING. Break the hearts in a special order? Nothing...I've tried them all. Wait 5/10/30/60 minutes? Zero results.

It has got to be the most enduring video game mystery IMO. Clearly it was intended to serve some function yet that function never materialized and nothing online gives you any answers. Others have wondered the same thing but nobody has ever definitively figured out the intent behind the area in the first place.

Obviously there was some intent behind this door/hidden area. Cut content? A secret the game still has to offer us?

Either way it drives me crazy lol. But I am also curious...what are some other awesome unsolved gaming mysteries that bother you? Ones you know don't have answers but may still be "solveable"

Soodanim

Gold Member
imagination jerking off GIF

VGEsoterica

There is a wiki on the subject. not that it seems to be very active

A lot of these have existed over the years of course, My favorite is probably the famous "hell valley sky trees" from Super Mario Galaxy 2. Don't think the developers ever explained why they existed.

also one of the creepiest unanswered secrets. I mean that in a Mario game?

Kadve

also one of the creepiest unanswered secrets. I mean that in a Mario game?

I don't know. In terms of Mario games the "Ghost House Face" from Super Mario 3D Land comes pretty close. (even if that one fits the level and might just be an easter egg).

Last edited:

DelireMan7

It is a short cut. Just never put in the final game;

Yeah I heard about that :)

Also another mystery still in Dark Souls and the Duke's Archive : the voice in the room where you fight Seath the first time and also where Big Hat Logan is (where he's selling his last spell). You can hear a female voice whispering, quite similar to the Maiden in Black from Demon's Souls.

EDIT: after few research, it's everywhere in the Duke's archive.

Last edited:

VGEsoterica

Yeah I heard about that :)

Also another mystery still in Dark Souls and the Duke's Archive : the voice in the room where you fight Seath the first time and also where Big Hat Logan is (where he's selling his last spell). You can hear a female voice whispering, quite similar to the Maiden in Black from Demon's Souls.

EDIT: after few research, it's everywhere in the Duke's archive.

Wow I never heard that when I played.

I feel like every games in the Soulsborne series would be a candidate for this thread!

clem84

Gold Member
It's amazing that the developer of Rondo of Blood has never commented on that door. You'd think this would have come to his attention after all these years. A tweet is all it takes to clear everything up.

Yeah it's probably cut content but it would nice to know.

VGEsoterica

It's amazing that the developer of Rondo of Blood has never commented on that door. You'd think this would have come to his attention after all these years. A tweet is all it takes to clear everything up.

Yeah it's probably cut content but it would nice to know.
Sounds like it’s time for me to ask then haha

jaysius

Banned
Ok so real talk time...

Sick Vomit GIF by CBS
The Rock Reaction GIF by WWE

Quickest way to get anyone to zone out and not care about any word that comes next.

Yes, your "talk" is more "real" than anyone else's ever, all anyone else is saying is gibberish.

Instead of making another post with the video you wanted to talk about, you could have edited your first post and included said video.

It sounds like a dev didn't finish cleaning up their work before it shipped... mystery solved.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Sick Vomit GIF by CBS
The Rock Reaction GIF by WWE

Quickest way to get anyone to zone out and not care about any word that comes next.

Yes, your "talk" is more "real" than anyone else's ever, all anyone else is saying is gibberish.

Instead of making another post with the video you wanted to talk about, you could have edited your first post and included said video.

It sounds like a dev didn't finish cleaning up their work before it shipped... mystery solved.
Grumpy gills here.

jaysius

Banned
Lol I guess so
Do you want the door to be the meaning of life or something?

All you're going to end up doing is this:

Always Sunny Fx GIF

Developers leave things in accidentally all the time. It's a fact of gaming.

Here's my theory, the dev was just having fun at the time, toying with the player.

Last edited:

Mozzarella

There was one door in Yharnam that i somehow couldnt unlock, its from the lantern after the first boss fight, in the crossroad to Cathedral Ward and the yard to the DLC, you go to a place where you have nice view on Yharnam before it gets dark. You fight two of the giant dudes and you go down to a room full of barrels and urns. One of the doors there is locked. Anybody can confirm?

EDIT: Yeah that is the same door about the shortcut to Cleric Beast.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Do you want the door to be the meaning of life or something?

All you're going to end up doing is this:

Always Sunny Fx GIF

Developers leave things in accidentally all the time. It's a fact of gaming.

Here's my theory, the dev was just having fun at the time, toying with the player.
Jesus, lighten up. This is a games forum to talk about fun game stuff.

There are loads of Easter eggs that took literally years to figure out. Maybe this could be one.

I'm sure I'm acting like a grumpy gills myself now so maybe I should lighten up too!

Last edited:

VGEsoterica

There was one door in Yharnam that i somehow couldnt unlock, its from the lantern after the first boss fight, in the crossroad to Cathedral Ward and the yard to the DLC, you go to a place where you have nice view on Yharnam before it gets dark. You fight two of the giant dudes and you go down to a room full of barrels and urns. One of the doors there is locked. Anybody can confirm?

Doors you were supposed to be able to go through but for any reason you never CAN are some of the most frustrating things in gaming to me.

what’s on the other side? We will never know

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Doors you were supposed to be able to go through but for any reason you never CAN are some of the most frustrating things in gaming to me.

what’s on the other side? We will never know
I hate that too, very frustrating. Makes you wonder if you are missing something and can waste time

Kokoloko85

What I came to post lol

VGEsoterica

The island on Goldeneye’s Dam level that you can see with the sniper scope and was cut very late on is fully accessible if you use a cheat code to walk through a locked gate.

Banjo-Kazooie had many cut levels that are hinted at throughout the game including Fungus Forest which has a portrait in Banjo’s house. https://banjokazooie.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Unused_levels

I spent more hours than I’d like to admit back in the day trying to get to that area in the dam level

EAietLu.jpg

I remember me and my mates did all sorts of crazy rituals and stuff with this rock, because there were rumours going around school that you could go to outer space if you interacted with it in the right way. The first three Pokémon gens are full of shit like this.

Ql6eyNv.png

A more recent one would be the whole Gaster thing in Undertale. Even though I was like 20 when I played it, it still creeped me out a little bit.

Last edited:

VGEsoterica

EAietLu.jpg

I remember me and my mates did all sorts of crazy rituals and stuff with this rock, because there were rumours going around school that you could go to outer space if you interacted with it in the right way. The first three Pokémon gens are full of shit like this.

Ql6eyNv.png

A more recent one would be the whole Gaster thing in Undertale. Even though I was like 20 when I played it, it still creeped me out a little bit.
I’ve watched some of those Undertale lore and theory videos. Stuff gets DEEP

Ailike

At first I was gonna post something snarky like my cousin, whose dad worked for Nintendo, told me that if you bring Relm to sketch a Dinosaur with Gogo in the party you have a 1/256 chance to bring General Leo back to life if you bring Terra to his grave, or something dumb like that.

But then I remembered Shadow Zero in Secret of Mana, which actually -is- a legit game mystery and drove me nuts as a kid, so I'm sorry.

That creepy voice that would come on if you played your Castlevania Symphony of the night cd on a cd player . I actually came across that one by myself without hearing about it.

poodaddy

That creepy voice that would come on if you played your Castlevania Symphony of the night cd on a cd player . I actually came across that one by myself without hearing about it.
Creepy voice? Pretty sure it was just Alucard's voice actor. Been a while, but I don't remember it being disturbing at all.

nkarafo

I spent more hours than I’d like to admit back in the day trying to get to that area in the dam level
Goldeneye had some weird stuff the developers forgot to remove. I remember discovering the chemistry set on that ceiling in the second level, wondering what's it's purpose. And later on, magazines would post other stuff like how you could open the rocket hatches in the Silo level. I remember trying to find if there is also a way to launch the rockets as well. I could spend hours trying to find secret stuff in that game. These pre-internet days were fun.

Wonko_C

In my years of playing Rondo I never knew this room even existed. Does anyone know if it's in the PSP remake?

Top Bottom