• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Secret Of Monkey Island - SPECIAL EDITION to Xbox 360

Rlan

Exclusive!

SOURCE:
http://www.gamerbytes.com/2009/05/the_secret_of_monkey_island_co.php

Yes, it's been an awfully long time, but it appears that The Secret Of Monkey Island is coming back, and to the Xbox 360.

The German USK rating board has revealed that The Secret Of Monkey Island - Special Edition is on its way. This was the very original Monkey Island game, from all the way back in 1990. As for what makes it a Special Edition is currently unknown -- could they be re-doing the graphics? Could the game possibly have a voice cast?

The rating suggests that Activision might have some involvement in the project, but most likely this is simply Activision Europe rating the title for LucasArts, as they are the European publishing arm that LucasArts use. We can only assume this is an Xbox Live Arcade title, but there is a slim chance that this is a retail retelling of the original too.

Source: German USK Rating Board.

secretofmonkey.jpg

Maximilian E.

AKA MS-Evangelist
WoaWW..

continue like this XBLA.. amazing games are coming up.
Now, please, an HD-Moonstone would be nice, with online play..

Sciz

This seems highly uncharacteristic of modern LucasArts. I still hardly believe Fate of Atlantis made it into Indy Wii.

Has there been a shakeup in management lately, or did they just finally get a clue?

Gowans

Yes!!! Great excuse to play it again on XBLA, wonder if it has any polish added to the port?

LeChuck is going down

firex

Activision Blizzard? I'm not sure I like this if it's not going to involve the former staff...

edit: I get they're the european publisher for LucasArts, but it just seems weird to have them publishing. I guess as long as they announce it in cooperation with them, it'll be fine. hard for me to really trust Activision on this, though.

White Man

Gowans007 said:
Yes!!! Great excuse to play it again on XBLA, wonder if it has any polish added to the port?

LeChuck is going down

If this is real, there's no way they can't get around redoing all the graphics. 320x200 won't cut it no matter how much you letterbox it.

For that reason, I'm skeptical on this.

Rlan

firex said:
Activision Blizzard? I'm not sure I like this if it's not going to involve the former staff...

edit: I get they're the european publisher for LucasArts, but it just seems weird to have them publishing. I guess as long as they announce it in cooperation with them, it'll be fine. hard for me to really trust Activision on this, though.

It might just be that it's them whom put the rating out there. It was the same with Capcom stuff where Red Ant would be mentioned in Mega Man 9's rating in the Australian rating.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
*dies*

I hope the special edition means it's properly enhanced for the X360 controller, and you're not moving a cursor around with your analogue stick.

UNLESS

This is for the motion camera! Hence the special edition!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Wow, now this is a "fucking megaton". I hope they just suck it up and re-release all their adventure games. No one gives a shit about Fracture or that Star Wars GoW game.

Zhuk

Banned
OMFG this is amazing!! I fucking love Monkey Island! for anyone who hasn't played this its one of the greatest games of all time (no hyperbole here), I have played it countless times since I was a kid on the Amiga to ScummVM and PSP today I have always dreamed about Lucasarts adventure games coming to XBLA and now its finally happening :D

'Hey look, a three headed monkey!'

Zhuk

Banned
Dead Man Typing said:
This is point and click greatness, yes?

Confessions: I've never played a Monkey Island game.

You sir have not lived until you have played one, hit up ScummVM and get yourself a copy

Zhuk

Banned
StarEye said:
*dies*

I hope the special edition means it's properly enhanced for the X360 controller, and you're not moving a cursor around with your analogue stick.

UNLESS

This is for the motion camera! Hence the special edition!

The stick cursor worked well on PSP, I would have no qualms with a similar method for the 360

Holy Shit.

If this is some sort of test to gauge reaction for a franchise revival, count me the fuck in. Either way, Wii is the obvious platform of choice for point and click adventure games. I don't care how many times I've played it. If they put it on Wiiware, they get a sale from me.

CTLance

I hate to be "that guy", but I hope we'll get a Wii version too. Because of the pointer controls of course.

That being said, I will be there like flies on shit regardless of platform. Holy crap, that I'd ever live to see the day... :D

This calls for 1) celebration and 2) dirty phonecalls / marriage proposals to the developer. BRB, oiling up.

itxaka

Defeatist
wat

No way.

I don't believe this.

It's kind of rational for Lucasarts. No way. No fucking way.

YESYESYESYES BITCHES. FUCKING MI.

I hope they follow up, everybody buy this.

I can't believe they didn't make it on wiiware first, it just fits the wiimote much more than a normal controller. Even makes more sense on the ps3 with the mouse support.

2e4w8qe.png

EDIT: Oh, maybe it's a retail release with the 3 monkey island titles? (Yes there was only 3 MI titles, don't look at me like that)

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
HOLY WHAT?????

Even an exact re-release of this title would excite me... so anything more than that would be gravy! :D

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
Even if it comes out on all three platforms, plus DS and PSP, I'll end up buying all of them, just to show my support and make sure they'll sell enough to warrant a new game (preferably with Ron Gilbert at the helm). I would also love it if 2 and 3 gets the same treatment.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
TheCardPlayer said:
This amazing news would be even better if the game in question was Grimm Fandango.
to be fair, you could say that of ANY announcement =p

Varth

This CLEARLY fits into the new controller rumors. And seeing this is Actiblizz, sultans of milking, we're obviously gonna see that on PS3 too. So: EyeToy? PS3 Wand? What will it be?

Kilroy

I will buy this so hard, it'll punch a hole in the space-time continuum. So hard that I can't even spell the word continuum correctly, which for the record is pretty bloody hard.

Even if this is "just" a non-enhanced version of the game, I'll get this.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
It's LucasArts property, they decide which consoles it'll be released on. Activition Blizzard has absolutely no power of this one. They'll publish it, and maybe even develop it. But LucasArts makes the calls and AB will just be their puppets.

neight

Banned
THANK GOODNESS. I've been itching to get that game but it's too freaking expensive. I'll wait a year to see if it comes to the PS3 or PC. That is if they keep the original 2D animation. If they redo it in 3D that's gay.

Duke Togo

alistairw said:
jascnlkkkklnklasckln

lknacklnknkl

knlascnklknkl

lascnkl

uh

uh

uh

uh
2nv43fs.jpg

...this is an awesome announcement, although the choice of platform is somewhat puzzling. Nonetheless, I look forward to seeing how this turns out.

pswii60

OMFG.

Game of the forever.

Not sure how the platform is 'puzzling'? 360 gamers are often older, in the late 20s/early 30s and will have played this the first time around, wanting to revisit it after all this time. Pretty sure it'll at least come to PS3 too eventually though.

Would make sense for a DS version too. EDIT: Is there already a DS version? Might have to get it.

Top Bottom