• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Shadows Rushed Me. LTTP: Max Payne Series

After slowly picking my way through this series the past year, I finally finished Max Payne 3 today.

Maxpaynebox.jpg

Collecting evidence had gotten old a few hundred bullets back. I was already so far past the point-of-no-return I couldn't remember what it had looked like when I had passed it.

Max Payne, playing it more then a decade after it came out, is a game I would warrant to say is a classic. The noir style and writing, the cutscene delivery, the gameplay and technological aspects, BULLET TIME™, Sam Lake's face, all of this melds together into a game I think is rather unique and that the two sequels try to emulate but never quite reach.
The story of Max Payne is one heavily inspired by Noir stories, a cop with a dead wife and kid and nothing to lose. While the story is good, the writing itself is great. Max's dialogue is some of the best I've seen in a game, my favorite being the 4th wall break during a hallucination where he finds out he's in a comic book, then a video game.
The only real complaints I can come up with are the God awful dream sections. While novel and good from a story and atmosphere perspective, they are complete dogshit to actually play. It's also a very difficult game, but I found the entire series above the average scale of difficulty without going into the harder difficulties unlocked after beating the game.

Max_Payne_2.jpg

"The things that I want", by Max Payne. A smoke. A whiskey. For the sun to shine. I want to sleep to forget. To change the past. My wife and baby girl back. Unlimited ammo and a license to kill. Right then, more than anything, I wanted her.

Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne is a game I feel like I remember very little of. It seemed like more of a Noir Romance then a Noir Crime story (thus a Film Noir love story, I guess) but that's not necessarily a bad thing. This game seemed to try and paint Max and Mona as more human characters, and I think the far better dream sections kind of say that for itself (they were better because they didn't make me walk on bloodstains with an unclear direction on where to go). After seeing the ending of this game, I wondered why a Max Payne 3 was even made. I thought the ending was perfect. It's also way shorter then the first game, it felt like.
I kind of feel like I should replay this game, as I think there is a gap in my memory in between 1 and 3. I seriously forget a lot about 2.

Max_Payne_3_Cover.jpg

It was Monday afternoon and I’d already been thrown out of a party, been to a strip club and got into a bar fight. This latest mid-life crisis was certainly ticking all the boxes.

Man on Fire Max Payne 3 is a game I have a lot to say about, probably because I just finished it. First off, holy shit the animations in this game are amazing. I would say it probably has the best animations I've ever seen in a game.
The gameplay is also extremely good and solid, probably the best TPS gameplay I've played since Vanquish. However, it is criminally marred by one of the most annoying things in the entire world. Constant, unskippable cutscenes. After nearly every gunfight, no matter how long, like clockwork. The fact that they are unskippable (well you can skip them after they are 90% over) means I probably will not replay this game despite enjoying the gameplay so much.
There's also many other annoyances. The game constantly switches your weapon to the weapon on the right of your inventory (gone are the days of holding every weapon you can pick up, but it didn't bother me too much in this game) and even worse sometimes drops your 2 handed weapon.
The last stand system can be incredibly annoying in wide open spaces when you are shot in the back by a person you can not see or who immediately goes into cover, leaving you dead in slow motion. I wished you could just kill anyone to regain your footing and not the guy who did you in.
The cover system I found to be an unnecessary addition to the series, as it seemed to encourage you to turtle instead of be aggressive. Of course in the first two games you would end up behind boxes or a wall in a pinch, but I hardly felt like that would ever save you.

The story in Max Payne 3 is what you would expect for a series that was over. Max gets dragged into a bodyguard business for a rich man and his family, and shit goes really, really bad. The game takes place mostly in Brazil, with some flashback levels in New York, but for the most part a lot (maybe half) of the dialogue is in complete, untranslated Portuguese. I actually like this decision, because it makes you feel like you have no idea whats going on, fitting in with Max. However I'm also torn because I always felt like I was missing some jokey henchman banter.
The series trademark is Max's incredible never ending list of similes and metaphors. This is of course in Max Payne 3, and I liked a lot of the lines, but it somehow didn't feel like it matched the style of the first game (you can say that for a lot of Max Payne 3).
About Max's characterization, I feel as if he went from "down on his luck" to just straight bitching all the time. But maybe the years of alcohol and painkillers addiction made him like that. Not something I hated, but it was another thing that made me think it was different from the other two. I was also kind of waiting for a dream sequence the whole time, and unless you count the New York parts as that then there wasn't one.

Another series trademark is the comic book style cutscenes, and instead they replaced that with in game cutscenes with a ton of visual effects and bolded words popping out at you. I didn't mind it too much, but there were a few times when I thought they were going way overboard with the drunko vision.

Overall I would say Max Payne 3 is a hard game to categorize. It feels like it's wearing the skin of the previous two, but underneath that is just Rockstar. I certainly feel that it's a genuine Max Payne game, but that it's missing some credentials. I'm having difficulties putting my thoughts to words here.
I don't care about the multiplayer and I probably never will.

One thing I have to mention is the final level was great. Or at least the section with this was.

Would I like to see this series continue? Yes and No.
Yes, I would like to see a spiritual successor very much (Quantum Break maybe?) that builds upon the style and gameplay of the three games.
No, I don't want to see Max again. Let him rest, he's done.

The end of Max Payne 2:

BRIEz4G.gif

My favorite video game series of all time. Max was the first protagonist I became emotionally invested in. Max Payne 3 was radically different, but I liked it in a John McClane/Die Hard way.

My idea for a final Max Payne 4:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=802515

I hope Rockstar makes an MP4 and puts me in charge of it. I want to be able to make the definitive MP game utilizing the greatest parts of all three games.

Max Payne 1 is a classic Film Noir game. Think the Maltese Falcon or Chinatown or something.

Max Payne 2 is a crime film as seen by David Lynch.

Max Payne 3 is a high-octane crime film directed by John McTiernen in the vein of Die Hard and Lethal Weapon, but nastier with serious Michael Mann influences.

My MP4 is a hallucinatory David Fincher.

Love all three games in the series, my only complaint with the third is how goddamn big it is in terms of file size. I'd say 1 > 3 > 2, but all are great.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Max Payne 1 & 2= GOD tier.
"The sun went down with practiced bravado, laden with foreboding."
PxBsaP9.jpg

Max Payne 3= Mediocre. Really solid gameplay and shooting mechanics, shit story and shit writing.
"This place was like Baghdad with G-strings."

Would I like more Max Payne? HELL YES, just keep Dan Houser away from the writing, maybe he can be allowed to write dialogue between characters but keep him away from the story and characterization.

First two Max Payne games certainly had better writing, but I didn't hate the writing in Max Payne 3.

The quips from Max ranged from great to OK to Max would've never said that in the first two

Having played the first two games for the first time recently, I'm surprised you put MP1 above the others. I felt it reeked of archaic game design, i.e. paper thin story (albeit in a cool style), encounters that were designed to kill the player the first time, ect. Not a great experience overall.

MP2 on the other hand is a goddamn masterpiece. Much better storytelling, improved gameplay, improved everything really.

MP3 had the great gameplay, and I liked it's style but my fun kept getting interrupted every other encounter by yet another cutscene. If R* can learn from that, I'd be down as fuck for another one.

Jarnet87

I bought 3 during a steam sale last year but forgot to grab 1 and 2 for cheap. I got the first game when it originally came out and haven't played it since, and I never got the sequel.

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
Two things I didn't like about 3:

1. Missed the style and noir of the first two games (hell it even shows in the covers, look how much better 1 and 2 look.

2. Story wasn't nearly as good.

Max Payne 3 is absolutely amazing in the gameplay, graphics, and tech department, but it lacked the style and story of the first two games.

Always thought this was a much better cover for 3, wish they hadn't changed it:
maxpayne3_maxartwork3_640x960.jpg

At the very least they should have kept Max drinking the whiskey like that, represents his character much more than that heroic BS stand he is pulling in the official cover.

Yes I would very much like another game in the series, whether or not it's about max though is a hard decision to make.

I still hope for Rockstar to
  • learn from what MP3 did right/wrong
  • abandon the whole "america" obsession with their games (though this only seems to really be affecting their open world stuff)
  • Do a game adaptation of john woo's Hard Boiled or The Killer, a la The Warriors
MP3 having the most John Woo shootout-like gameplay of any game, let alone the Max Payne series, demands a new game that can improve on that gameplay

Strike

Loved MP1 & 2. There hasn't really been anything like it before or since. Got me to notice Remedy and Poets of the Fall. 3 nailed the gameplay (especially in multiplayer which is no small feat), but it barely felt like it was part of the same universe. Houser's writing style works for R* own properties, not so much for something like this. Considering that the sales weren't enough to cover the cost of its long development cycle and Remedy has long since moved on, I'm perfectly fine with Max's story ending here.

Javier23

Banned
Am I seriously the only one who thinks that writing in MP 3 is among the very best I've ever seen in gaming and way better than that in MP 1 and 2?

dhonk

Am I seriously the only one who thinks that writing in MP 3 is among the very best I've ever seen in gaming and way better than that in MP 1 and 2?

I way prefer the charm and tongue in cheek of the originals. 3 seemed way too self serious.

MP3 writing is just Rockstar dialogue with a Max Payne slant. I admit I liked the Max + Passos stuff in 3, the way they took jabs at each other in a jaded buddy cop sort of way, but it doesn't hold a candle to MP 1 or 2.

James McCaffrey could make the phone book sound great though, so it never veers into "Ugh, just shut up" territory like GTA can.

Every single one of them was the best third person shooter of their era. I think Rockstar did a fine job of living up to that pedigree, say what you will about the styling and story of that game. I didn't mind most of it.

Despite what everyone says about Max Payne 3, i really loved it. The previous two are god tier but i really loved the third one as well, aside from the great gun-play, i personally enjoyed the story alot. I love how he was just a bodyguard doing a simple job of protecting some women to then escalate it to something way more then that and made it personal to the point of going out guns blazing straight up destroying shit to feel redeemed/redemption and doing right by what is fucked up in this world.

Also, you can't go wrong with this section from the airport level

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2M_-NCQlzhA

Loved MP1 & 2. There hasn't really been anything like it before or since. Got me to notice Remedy and Poets of the Fall. 3 nailed the gameplay (especially in multiplayer which is no small feat), but it barely felt like it was part of the same universe. Houser's writing style works for R* own properties, not so much for something like this. Considering that the sales weren't enough to cover the cost of its long development cycle and Remedy has long since moved on, I'm perfectly fine with Max's story ending here.

Agreed, i felt that it ended perfectly after all the shit he went through in 1, 2 and especially 3.

udiie

Every single one of them was the best third person shooter of their era. I think Rockstar did a fine job of living up to that pedigree, say what you will about the styling and story of that game. I didn't mind most of it.

agreed so much.

max payne is easily my favorite series of all time.

NIN90

I really enjoyed all three games.
MP1 has pretty rough encounter design by today's standards that borders on trial-and-error. Enemies waiting behind cover (who can oneshot you), enemy spawns in your back etc..

Still, it's a tossup whether I prefer MP1 or MP2.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
MP1/2 are 2 of my favourite all time games.

I can't disagree that when you were actually playing it, MP3 was a lot of fun, good gameplay, good graphics and animations. It was hankered down by these constant cutscenes, weird unecessary visual effects along with those bolded words mentioned in the OP and the way that last stand thing could be totally broken at times.

I'd love a 4 like others said if they could learn from the mistakes of 3, they had a base for a solid game.

Denton

I love Max 1 and 2, and I liked very much the third one.

Its story was kinda messy, but okay.
I loved the Health provided soundtrack.
Especially this song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsFa0lTKyjc

Just....brilliant.

And the PC version was flawless, which was a nice improvement from GTA4. Bodes well for GTA5.

I just felt the story was grossly out of character for a Max Payne game. The first two games had a very personal approach to both Max's thoughts and the events going on around him, there was always some personal stake involved in the story. We also got to see the depths of madness this average Joe cop fell down into, due to Sam Lake's writing, especially with the cult stuff in Ragna Rock, his nightmares and the various tv shows that were pulled straight out of Twin Peaks.

Max Payne 3 pulls out of this almost fantastical, nightmarish universe and puts him into a very down to earth, realistic hell that has no emotional or any other attachment to Max. I suppose that was the point, and I got the feeling Max (the devs) tends to comment on this himself, so in that respect it was pretty cleverly done, but the fact that they put the character in this situation in the first place is what I'm having problems with. He didn't start his murder spree for his wife and child, for Mona, for justice or just being a good cop. He started it because his boss' wife was kidnapped, which often left me wondering why the hell I'm going to these places and doing these things. Felt like I saw Max Payne on the street as a homeless person and left me feeling deeply sad, wondering what happened to him. Also, I really dislike Man on Fire so that didn't really help either.

I think my dislike of the story culminated with Max Payne brutally
almost chopping of a man's head with a machete.
That right there felt like a big dump on Max's bald head.

I agree on the gameplay aspects, it's probably one of the best TPS games last gen. I enjoyed it for what it was, but it sure as hell wasn't Max Payne.

ZeroX03

Banned
I've got MP3 sitting here for PS3. Never tried it, just grabbed it from a clearance sale. Should I throw it in for a whirl? Or just grab the PC version when it's on sale. Or just avoid it. Never played any in the series.

I've got MP3 sitting here for PS3. Never tried it, just grabbed it from a clearance sale. Should I throw it in for a whirl? Or just grab the PC version when it's on sale. Or just avoid it. Never played any in the series.

I think you'd love it a-lot more since you haven't played the previous games. It's a very hate it or love it kind of game so, yeah. Helps you to like/love it more since you can't compare it to the previous games as most people and i did. However, even with that i still really loved everything about MP3 except the multiplayer.

Max_Payne_2.jpg

"The things that I want", by Max Payne. A smoke. A whiskey. For the sun to shine. I want to sleep to forget. To change the past. My wife and baby girl back. Unlimited ammo and a license to kill. Right then, more than anything, I wanted her.

Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne is a game I feel like I remember very little of. It seemed like more of a Noir Romance then a Noir Crime story (thus a Film Noir love story, I guess) but that's not necessarily a bad thing. This game seemed to try and paint Max and Mona as more human characters, and I think the far better dream sections kind of say that for itself (they were better because they didn't make me walk on bloodstains with an unclear direction on where to go). After seeing the ending of this game, I wondered why a Max Payne 3 was even made. I thought the ending was perfect. It's also way shorter then the first game, it felt like.
I kind of feel like I should replay this game, as I think there is a gap in my memory in between 1 and 3. I seriously forget a lot about 2.

Madness. Ge thee to the Steam store/Amazon/retailer of choice, pick up MP2, and bask in how ridiculously awesome the gunplay can be. Seriously. I used to play the OG Xbox version religiously (surprisingly good version), and once I started to know the layout of levels, I would quicksave before certain sections just so I could play through them as stylishly as possible, seeing how slow I could make Bullet Time 2.0 run. Then reload and do it again, only better. Then reload and do it again, only better still.

I remember there was one section I played over and over again, to the point where I completely mastered it. It was towards the end of the game, and (IIRC) you walk out from a room, through a corridor (where you get jumped by mooks) onto a balcony (more mooks) overlooking a courtyard filled with hedgerows and pillars, again filled with mooks. By the time I was done with that section, I could activate Bullet Time the split-second the first mook appeared in the corridor, and keep the hourglass going until the very last mook in the courtyard had dropped. It's probably one of the only action games where I felt like I was really starting to become a real pro at using the mechanics.

And my god, that bulllet time reload. Made absolutely no sense, but fuck me did it feel awesome when it happened in the middle of mowing guys down something silly...

tumblr_llonspJ5ll1qd7m1so1_400.gif

mp1990

Banned
i only played MP3,but i really want to play the entire series because i liked a lot the third game.The only problem is,MP2 isn't on PSN and my pc is terrible even for a ps2 game,so i'm fucked lol.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Funny OP, there is no Max Payne 3. I wish there was. :(

Short answer: No. Long answer: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Go play Max Payne 1-2. Then weep when Remedy is stuck doing Quantum Break instead of doing Max Payne 3. :(

The one good thing I'll say for Pax 3 is that Rockstar seemed to nail the bullet-time... until Euphoria kicked in and completely fucked that over. Well Euphoria and the cover system. Terrible.

Max Payne surprised my like only a few games did. I came in not sure what to expect from this game and was completely blown away. The shooting is so satisfying. The game felt like a Die Hard movie, it was great. And the soundtrack is is magnificient.
I would rank it up there with Vanquish aswell. Must-have game if you like third person shooters.

Joohanh

The thing what separates the third installment essentially is the writing style. Sam Lake has his own very unique sense of cheesiness and dreaminess, which he perfectly blends with desperation and black tones. In this world, even comic reliefs woosh in naturally and without breaking the atmosphere. They are also sown into the game as parts of the world just like any other objects - Lake doesn't force the details of his world down your throat. You just come by them.

In contrast to this, Houser's style is gritty, ironic realism. It works well in GTA - the social commentary is often witty and funny, and the characters are brought to life by dealing with their everyday problems. But this style, no matter how well executed, is very far away from what Max Payne is about. Houser is horrible in mimicking Lake's style - he tries to come up with over-the-top metaphores, only to end up reducing them to boring comments on America or world politics. The few moments that attempt to bring comic displaceness in the game are shoved down your throat by cutscenes, as if Houser was shouting in the other end of the screen "LOOK AT WHAT I DID!! LOOK AT WHAT I FUCKING DID!!! YOU BETTER HAVE FUCKING SEEN THAT!!"

Max Payne 3 is a great game, but it completely fails to carry on the spirit of the series.

It seems like everyone really likes Max Payne 2 a lot, so I probably will replay the series at some point.

I probably won't like replaying 3, fuck off with the cutscenes

Mannequin

The first is my favourite. I remember getting it for Christmas and being so beyond hyped for playing it and it totally lived up to my expectations.

Max Payne 2 is also great, Max Payne 3 ... well. The gameplay was great, it was just unfortunate how much it was interrupted.

The cutscenes/load screens are the only thing keeping me from playing Max Payne 3 again. I lpve that game, but damn Rockstar for making the game way too fat. I dream of someone modding the game to load faster by replacing the cutscenes with comic strip panels made from screens of the cutscene. Then again, the game loads agonizingly slow because its absolutely obese.

The airport shootout is still the greatest action experience I've ever gotten in anything. Health is fantastic.

Played MP3 in Hard Mode and I'm forced to go cover-shooting. I hate that. What's the point of the bullet-time mechanics? The airport scene was the worst since, I'm a pretty good shot behind the cover but once I go the MP dive, it's over thanks the linear path between me and the enemies.

m360

I really loved the dirty and Max'-broken-down-like-shit appeal of Max Payne 3. It felt in many ways like a logical sequel. But it was a little bit crazy that he fought for this rich brasilian family that cared a shit about him... at the end i felt like all this pain and shooting was for nothing.

Top Bottom