• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Shameful Media Coverage of Shenmue III

Status
Not open for further replies.

diffusionx

Gold Member
That was arguably fair enough back in July. But taking the "I could use a bit more money" quote out of context and portraying it as if it's some greedy, nefarious thing to say, and making it out to be a bad thing that YS Net launched the Paypal campaign that fans were asking for, just comes across as unwarranted cynicism to me. Like, what is there to criticize here? I don't get it. It's good that people are vigilant about crowdfunding practices, but when you're seeing shade where there is none, I suggest you take off those sunglasses
or start eating that trash can.

Except, you know, it is reasonable to criticize the fact that they are hitting fans up for more money, saying they could use more money, when we don't even know how this game is being funded. Just how much are fans funding now on top? It's not $6M because they are getting capital from other people. But how much?

Most people who write on these sites are not intrepid journalists and they are not great writers. But I think this is a perfectly legitimate criticism.

Spaghetti

Except, you know, it is reasonable to criticize the fact that they are hitting fans up for more money, saying they could use more money, when we don't even know how this game is being funded. Just how much are fans funding now on top? It's not $6M because they are getting capital from other people. But how much?

Most people who write on these sites are not intrepid journalists and they are not great writers. But I think this is a perfectly legitimate criticism.
It has been said time and time again by everybody involved that the game would not be happening without Kickstarter. The 14 year hiatus in the series is proof of that.

The first bolded part of your post has been answered over and over. The development is being funded through Kickstarter, and through Shibuya Productions.

As for how much is coming from outside Kickstarter, why does it actually matter? Why does it matter that private investment, that they may not be able to divulge by law or NDA, is laid out for the press?

Who does it serve? I'm a Shenmue 3 backer, someone with actual money in the project. I keep getting told by people with no money in Shenmue 3 about why I need to have things divulged that I either already know, or don't actually matter. It's not my interests the press have at heart, it's theirs. Because they're looking for a story that doesn't actually exist, so they're trying to concoct one.

As for the second bolded part of your post, that's kinda why this thread exists in the first place.

diffusionx

Gold Member
It has been said time and time again by everybody involved that the game would not be happening without Kickstarter. The 14 year hiatus in the series is proof of that.

The first bolded part of your post has been answered over and over. The development is being funded through Kickstarter, and through Shibuya Productions.

As for how much is coming from outside Kickstarter, why does it actually matter? Why does it matter that private investment, that they may not be able to divulge by law or NDA, is laid out for the press?

Who does it serve? I'm a Shenmue 3 backer, someone with actual money in the project. I keep getting told by people with no money in Shenmue 3 about why I need to have things divulged that I either already know, or don't actually matter. It's not my interests the press have at heart, it's theirs. Because they're looking for a story that doesn't actually exist, so they're trying to concoct one.

As for the second bolded part of your post, that's kinda why this thread exists in the first place.

First of all, I backed Shenmue 3 too. It matters because I want to know what I am funding. The game got ~$6M on Kickstarter. That's a lot of money, but maybe not for a Shenmue game. Now Yu wants more, from fans. What type of game are we funding now? if Shibuya or Sony or whomever is giving them, let's say, $35M (I don't think this is the case, just an example), are people going to be so eager to hand over money when it's already a $40M+ game? If he is getting $2M from outside sources, it's an $8M game, ok maybe I want to hand over more to get "the full vision." Etc, etc. It's just about transparency and being forthright.

The idea that we should automatically defer to Yu Suzuki because he has a job for the first time in years and not question his incredibly murky Kickstarter is one I cannot agree with. Nobody's telling you how to live your life. This is one of those situations where two people can see the same thing and come away with different perspectives.

Spaghetti

First of all, I backed Shenmue 3 too. It matters because I want to know what I am funding. The game got ~$6M on Kickstarter. That's a lot of money, but maybe not for a Shenmue game. Now Yu wants more, from fans. What type of game are we funding now? if Shibuya or Sony or whomever is giving them, let's say, $35M (I don't think this is the case, just an example), are people going to be so eager to hand over money when it's already a $40M+ game? If he is getting $2M from outside sources, it's an $8M game, ok maybe I want to hand over more to get "the full vision." Etc, etc. It's just about transparency and being forthright.

The idea that we should automatically defer to Yu Suzuki because he has a job for the first time in years and not question his incredibly murky Kickstarter is one I cannot agree with. Nobody's telling you how to live your life. This is one of those situations where two people can see the same thing and come away with different perspectives.
I'm not sure I see your point. All I really see is a repetition of the unfounded idea that they are keeping something from us for the sake of squeezing money out of backers.

The established funding sources for development are Kickstarter and Shibuya Productions. This has been said to death at this point. The Kickstarter was vital to getting this project off the ground, and that's the truth.

No way would Shenmue 3's Kickstarter have been launched on such a huge stage if that funding was not vital to the project happening. It has been repeated by Yu Suzuki, Cedric Biscay, and various Sony 3rd party production members that the Kickstarter was do or die for Shenmue 3.

It is not about wringing a few dollars out of fans, it is about making the game actually happen for the first time in 14 years.

There's not some imaginary huge investor waiting in the wings who just happened to be $2 million short. Shenmue 3 is for the fans, and by the fans.

It doesn't matter how much Shibuya Productions is contributing, without the Kickstarter there would be no Shenmue 3. It doesn't matter that there's a Paypal drive up until the end of the year, the reason that is there is because of fan demand during the Kickstarter.

Why should it matter that we are told how much Shibuya are contributing when we are backers, not investors, and have no rights to such information? It wouldn't make a single iota of difference about the project even if we did know. Shibuya Productions' head Cedric Biscay is a Shenmue superfan, and if they'd had the money to fund it solely, they would have.

When you buy into the questions about funding outside of Kickstarter, you're buying into the weird delusion that Shenmue 3 would have been a done deal without Kickstarter. As someone who backed Shenmue 3, you should know that isn't the case.

As for deferring to Yu Suzuki on matters about the game he's project lead on, well, I'd rather take his word for it than those of games media that seem to only get their information about the project from the headlines of other journalists.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
[GamesRadar] - june 17th
[GamesRadar] - sept 17th
[Kotaku] - july 3rd
[Kotaku] - july 17th
[Polygon] - oct 5th
[Polygon] - jun 17th
[ExtremeTech] - june 20th
[Polygon] - june 16th
[Gizmodo] - june 17th
[Gamespot] - sept 17th

3 from the past month, including 1 from the past week. It'd be crazy ta suggest the OP is actually anti-Shenmue an is in reality trying to bring up old woes to make people wary of jumping on the new campaign but really why dredge up all them old articles? They've been debated to death, truths have come out, etc. It doesn't seem ta me like there's a collective ongoing smear campaign as of this month. If there was one it started and ended with the KS.

Now Yu wants more, from fans.
As I understand this isn't about wanting more money from existing contributors but for those who couldn't or didn't feel safe using KS (personally I'd be wary of using paypal, but maybe they've gotten on the level over the years?). From reading the original KS thread here it seemed many japanese/asian people were wary of using an american site to donate. There were also gaffers from western countries who for one reason or another were unable to donate through KS. I take this PP thing as being inclusive ta everyone. I'm sure the whole whopping 700 new donators aren't just all people who already funded the KS but who knows?

diffusionx

Gold Member
I'm not sure I see your point. All I really see is a repetition of the unfounded idea that they are keeping something from us for the sake of squeezing money out of backers.

No, it's the idea that they are keeping something from us for the sake of keeping something from us.

The established funding sources for development are Kickstarter and Shibuya Productions. This has been said to death at this point. The Kickstarter was vital to getting this project off the ground, and that's the truth.

Yes, and they got $6M for that.

It doesn't matter how much Shibuya Productions is contributing, without the Kickstarter there would be no Shenmue 3. It doesn't matter that there's a Paypal drive up until the end of the year, the reason that is there is because of fan demand during the Kickstarter.

Yes, it matters now. It didn't matter a day before E3, it matters now, because it's about what sort of game are we funding and what should we be getting for this money.

Why should it matter that we are told how much Shibuya are contributing when we are backers, not investors, and have no rights to such information? It wouldn't make a single iota of difference about the project even if we did know. Shibuya Productions' head Cedric Biscay is a Shenmue superfan, and if they'd had the money to fund it solely, they would have.

Maybe we don't have the rights to such information, but this is where crowd funding kind of blurs the normal lines of communication and changes the relationship between creators and fans.

When you buy into the questions about funding outside of Kickstarter, you're buying into the weird delusion that Shenmue 3 would have been a done deal without Kickstarter.

I am absolutely not. I am placing this within the context of a game that got $6M and is asking for more money on top of that. I want to know where the game's status is today and what they will do with the extra money.

I gave Suzuki the benefit of the doubt for a Kickstarter that had a lot less info than most (remember those goofy stretch goals?), simply because he's a legend and I get depressed at the idea of him spending all day bouncing a ball against the wall and waking up in a cold sweat from Propeller Arena nightmares. But I think it's time to be more transparent and start telling the people who helped get this game off the ground what is happening.

Danlord

3 from the past month, including 1 from the past week. It'd be crazy ta suggest the OP is actually anti-Shenmue an is in reality trying to bring up old woes to make people wary of jumping on the new campaign but really why dredge up all them old articles? They've been debated to death, truths have come out, etc. It doesn't seem ta me like there's a collective ongoing smear campaign as of this month. If there was one it started and ended with the KS.

It was triggered more by the most recent Ben Kuchera article and the Eurogamer one(which I neglected to write about first). It made me remember how badly some of the coverage was for Shenmue 3 and so I went back and looked at some old articles I or my friend read and just collected a fair few, mostly from very 'reputable' sites and put together the OP. There is no malicious intent nor am I a disgruntled Shenmue fan, I just remember how bad the articles were of Shenmue.

Shadoken

The people in this thread sure are embarrassing.

He asked for a third of what he got and now he is saying he won't be able to deliver very good graphics. Well, what was his original plan then? I know that $2M isn't a lot to develop a Shenmue game. I know that $6M isn't much to develop a Shenmue game.

This is a guy who infamously blew out the budget when making the original games and fans are way too eager to be trusting about this game's finances.

It isn't a journalist's job to swaddle Yu Suzuki. You shouldn't fly into a rage when people are keeping a watchful eye over a small budget game being headed by a big budget director.

And THIS is exactly what everyone is complaining about. You have made an opinion purely based on clickbait headlines instead of reading the articles.

Prioritizing gameplay and story over graphics does not equal the "game is going to be shit".

FranXico

Nah, Eurogamer has been the worst about this.

The press that attacks Shenmue III the most (such as Polygon and Eurogamer) would not be doing so if Suzuki had announced his Kickstarter alongside Phil Spencer. If this I am fairly certain.

Spaghetti

I am absolutely not. I am placing this within the context of a game that got $6M and is asking for more money on top of that. I want to know where the game's status is today and what they will do with the extra money.

I gave Suzuki the benefit of the doubt for a Kickstarter that had a lot less info than most (remember those goofy stretch goals?), simply because he's a legend and I get depressed at the idea of him spending all day bouncing a ball against the wall and waking up in a cold sweat from Propeller Arena nightmares. But I think it's time to be more transparent and start telling the people who helped get this game off the ground what is happening.
The Paypal drive was the result of fan demand during the Kickstarter. I've already said that, and anybody following the Kickstarter closely enough would have actually known that too. Don't pretend this is them mid-development asking for more money because they blew the budget. This is a limited drive on an alternate funding source, because fans asked for it. A slacker-backer campaign is not new, and it's not controversial.

If the additional funding pushes the total past a stretch goal or two, that's what the money will be used for. I don't know why I am even having to tell you this. It's not a large leap of logic, and this information is readily available to both the public and backers.

You want to know what's happening with the game so far? Look at the Kickstarter updates. That's what they are there for. Cedric Biscay even got to play a very early stage version a short time ago.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
It was triggered more by the most recent Ben Kuchera article and the Eurogamer one(which I neglected to write about first). It made me remember how badly some of the coverage was for Shenmue 3 and so I went back and looked at some old articles I or my friend read and just collected a fair few, mostly from very 'reputable' sites and put together the OP. There is no malicious intent nor am I a disgruntled Shenmue fan, I just remember how bad the articles were of Shenmue.
Ya I remember some of them articles to. Just kinda thought the time ta dwell on 'em had come an gone. But this thread is addressing the issue as a whole instead of recents activities which I hadn't considered? So they do belong up there with the latest articles, but maybe ordering 'em by date instead of just by site would work better?

Spaghetti

The press that attacks Shenmue III the most (such as Polygon and Eurogamer) would not be doing so if Suzuki had announced his Kickstarter alongside Phil Spencer. If this I am fairly certain.
I personally don't believe this. Even if SEGA had fully funded Shenmue 3 themselves, we'd still see articles like "Can Shenmue break ground again?" "Is Yu Suzuki up to the task of making a new Shenmue?" "Was Shenmue ever good in the first place?", which are arguably a lot better thought out than some of the actual headlines we've seen already.

In Eurogamer's case I'm going to chalk it up to the same lack of research that plagued pretty much any other Western publication over Shenmue 3, and most recently just a very disingenuous article title decision.

Unfortunately that article title decision worked out well for Eurogamer, as other publications linked back to it when they reported on it. It's a pretty sad state of affairs when those kind of decisions, which are objectively bad journalism, can be justified for the sake of bringing in a few extra page-views.

In Polygon's case? Just bad writing, from a bad writer, on a site with a well earned reputation for being bad.

Ultimately the fans have a better picture of what's going on than the media. They've followed the Kickstarter religiously. They've translated interviews and streams with great accuracy. They interact and ask questions to people close to the production like Cedric. It's pretty galling when people act like something is being hidden from us, or that we don't have the full picture when clearly we're better informed than the games press and a lot of the posters here.

Crowd funding is always getting the short end of the stick regarding traditional media coverage.

Sorry shenmue fans have to deal with that.

The fans asked for the PayPal campaign. End of story.

I swear, Shenmue is going to be the only game that gets this much heat for having a slacker backer period. Bloodstained had one. Yooka-Laylee had one. No one was writing that Iga or the Rare team were trying to milk fans for more money while those were running.

What's worse is they weren't even planning to do a slacker backer campaign in the first place. Not until a large number of fans expressed unhappiness that they couldn't back through PayPal, and asked the Shenmue team for it did they start planning to set it up. What was meant to be a fan service has been turned into another opportunity to write criticism.

First Star Citizen, now this?

Will you damn journalists just shut up and let them make the game, and stop gossipping about this inane, stupid shit before they've even finished prototyping?

Let it either come out, or not. THEN start talking about how you "wasted your money".

Maligna

Banned
What's worse is they weren't even planning to do a slacker backer campaign in the first place. Not until a large number of fans expressed unhappiness that they couldn't back through PayPal, and asked the Shenmue team for it did they start planning to set it up. What was meant to be a fan service has been turned into another opportunity to write criticism.

This is what's so infuriating. It feels like a losing battle trying to correct the spin the games media is putting on it.

It's Ben Kuchera's most recent article I most take issue with. I've been a defender of the guy in the past as I enjoyed his articles when he wrote for the PA Report but "Why won't the fans support Shenmue 3?" is quite possibly one of the worst articles I've ever read on a gaming site. So you're telling me a game that downed Kickstarter's servers, reached close to 70K backers and is the highest funded videogame Kickstarter of all-time that more than tripled its modest funding objective, was a failure that no-one supported? Even his headline makes no logical sense.

Seriously by his logic every other videogame on Kickstarter (all of which are below Shenmue 3 in terms of funding, even Bloodstained) all failed and the fans didn't show up for any of them either. Bloodstained was a massive, super popular success and by his logic the fans didn't support that either? The text in the actual article is even worse. It's full of shadowy negativity and shrouded intent using zero logic to back up a sequence of false statements. Nothing he actually says makes any sense. It's not blind fixation on anything and everything Shenmue, marred by a misplaced love for the Dreamcast and the original titles, defending Shenmue 3 just because someone has something negative to say about it - his article makes no logical sense.

His assertions are flat-out incorrect. Everything is badly researched with errors. And it places Shenmue 3's highly successful, record breaking campaign in a negative light for pretty much no reason other than potentially to increase Polygon's readership. Shenmue 3's Kickstarter was a ridiculous success. The fans came out in droves supporting the campaign with initiatives and financial support. Shenmue 3 eclipsed every videogame that has ever been on Kickstarter surpassing even Sony and Yu Suzuki's expectations. The fans did support Shenmue 3. So sorry but how the hell does his article make any sense?

I agree with the core argument that we shouldn't blindly support and defend Shenmue 3 while it's this early and the game is unproven. All we've seen is a hastily put together test demo in Unreal Engine 4 that Yu Suzuki produced with a skeleton team without his complete development funding nor development staff after there was barely a deal with Sony in place, so for that I'd like to give the legend the benefit of the doubt. Yes as it stands Shenmue 3 doesn't look all that impressive, but real development hasn't even begun yet. They only just received the core of their funding. The guy who made those Shenmue HD renders just got hired. That indicates to me the game's in for a visual overhaul.

Shenmue 3 will eventually graphically improve, and with a legend at the helm with ex-AM2 members producing the game in tandem with the fact that Yu Suzuki is responsible for some of the slickest, most technically proficient wonders of all-time. I have faith Shenmue 3 is going to turn out to be a pretty great game.

I dislike unnecessary negative sentiment that is without logic or foundation and articles like Kuchera's are the epitome of that. Fans are supporting Shenmue 3. His article is just flat-out incorrect.

border

It's Ben Kuchera's most recent article I most take issue with. I've been a defender of the guy in the past as I enjoyed his articles when he wrote for the PA Report but "Why won't the fans support Shenmue 3?" is quite possibly one of the worst articles I've ever read on a gaming site. So you're telling me a game that downed Kickstarter's servers, reached close to 70K backers and is the highest funded videogame Kickstarter of all-time that more than tripled its modest funding objective, was a failure that no-one supported? Even his headline makes no logical sense.

That article is hilarious. It's meant to be dripping with sarcasm. It's meant to mock the game's perpetually moving and nebulous goals. It's also meant as a mockery of the somewhat pathetic and abject tone of the dramatic fan community who seems to treat every bungling misstep as if it was atragedy.

"Our shame, like the game's goals, is ephemeral and hard to describe in concrete terms." That made me laugh out loud.

Garlador

Yeah, that's pretty bad.

Ben Kuchera makes me want to take up games journalism just to counteract so much of the stuff he says...

Honestly, I don't get the cynicism or negativity whatsoever. If you're paranoid about the game and cynical, why not be a good journalist and look into it? Heck, I bet I could get an interview with someone on the staff to assuage a few fears or concerns if I pressed hard enough.

NeoGIF

I'm 100% sure that we're gonna get a great game and that Yu Suzuki will deliver.

Just give it time, guys.

nib95

Banned
Crowd funding is always getting the short end of the stick regarding traditional media coverage.

Sorry shenmue fans have to deal with that.

Easier to be cynical about or shit on games and projects funded by regular folk than big publishers who pay their advertising revenue? I just don't understand it tbh.

But yea, that Kuchera article really takes the cake.

Spaghetti

In a lot of ways, it feels like certain members of the press are taking advantage of the fact there's no readily available English-speaking public relations staff in the Shenmue 3 team.

There's Cedric of course, but he's a producer primarily, and working separately from the team in Japan. It doesn't seem like most of the press are even aware of his existence either. He turned up in a few French publication interviews and that GamesTM feature (which itself was RIFE with errors that should have gone through publicist for checking), but nothing much besides that. Nobody really seems to reach out for comment when Shenmue 3 is in the news again.

ShenmueNextGen

Neo Member

Will the gaming clickbait corrupted media/journalists start bashing on it (like, "Sony is promoting it! The Kickstarter is a scam! Sony is a multi billion dollar company! Why Sony not fund it?!"), or Shenmue 3 is their only toy?

Note: Personally, I do not wish the clickbait 'journos' to start bash on it, too, like they do on Shenmue 3, as I do not wish that for any other legitimate project following the same funding/marketing/publishing route.

Additionally: Both games are indie games (https://twitter.com/yu_suzuki_jp/status/611242108272295936). Therefore, especially in the case of Home Free (which requires a low budget, at least compared to the one needed for S3), it would be much easier for a "multi billion dollar company" to fund it... But it is a business company, not a charity one. They don't want to cover all the costs, or else it is expected they will lose money.

That is the case with Shenmue 3, too; its financial capability is uncertain, therefore they will only cover the basic costs of publishing/marketing (only for the PS4 version, not and for the PC one), and that as a goodwill (translated into legendary great PR / feather on cap, because of S3's myth of "will never happen") because it was the most requested title in their #BuildingTheList campaign (it's a given that Shenmue 3 will be a system seller among the fanbase).

There's a series of great articles here that shed some light on the story of Shenmue 3. One of the articles talks about funding and reveals that though Sony wanted to fully support the game they were incapable of completely funding it outright for complex reasons that essentially amount to the game not being their IP (Sega still fully owns the rights, YS Net just has the licence). So as it's not their IP they have to treat it like any game going through their third party relations team which means marketing and production support and a small amount of development funding that to be honest sounds like it's not much at all (probably sub 1 million) with Shibuya Productions contributing far more and according to those articles the "bulk" of the funding outside of the Kickstarter. At a guess (since YS Net are not revealing the budget and probably never will) Shenmue 3's total budget is probably ~10 million on the low end and perhaps 15 million at most.

Either way it should be sufficient for Yu Suzuki to realise his vision. There is however a reason why Sony isn't just outright funding the game - they were prevented from doing so. Really wish the storm of negative articles would recognise this instead of just conveying factually incorrect information and pretending Sony is being deceitful to everyone.

I don't find it any more shameful than the rest of entertainment journalism. Clicks are what count online. No matter how much writers care about the story, the cause, the message, the website needs hits. "Fans Embrace Crowdfunded Shenmue Sequel" is not as exciting as "Developer's Words Cast Doubt on Kickstarted Shenmue III"

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

7eNwYj5.png

I don't find it any more shameful than the rest of entertainment journalism. Clicks are what count online. No matter how much writers care about the story, the cause, the message, the website needs hits. "Fans Embrace Crowdfunded Shenmue Sequel" is not as exciting as "Developer's Words Cast Doubt on Kickstarted Shenmue III"

It's just an old marketing textbook trick based on Positive and Negative. The adage is that when something positive happens you're likely to tell 3 people. Something negative? You're likely to tell 9 people. So negative stories tend to generate far more interest and energy than positive ones and as you say - clicks that improves a site's readership and increase advertising revenue.

Hence the focus on the negative. They just perform better for the sites - all of which are in fierce competition with one another and some fighting to stay afloat.

border

There's a series of great articles here that shed some light on the story of Shenmue 3. One of the articles talks about funding and reveals that though Sony wanted to fully support the game they were incapable of completely funding it outright for complex reasons that essentially amount to the game not being their IP (Sega still fully owns the rights, YS Net just has the licence). So as it's not their IP they have to treat it like any game going through their third party relations team which means marketing and production support and a small amount of development funding that to be honest sounds like it's not much at all (probably sub 1 million) with Shibuya Productions contributing far more and according to those articles the "bulk" of the funding outside of the Kickstarter. At a guess (since YS Net are not revealing the budget and probably never will) Shenmue 3's total budget is probably ~10 million on the low end and perhaps 15 million at most.

Either way it should be sufficient for Yu Suzuki to realise his vision. There is however a reason why Sony isn't just outright funding the game - they were prevented from doing so. Really wish the storm of negative articles would recognise this instead of just conveying factually incorrect information and pretending Sony is being deceitful to everyone.

Does Sony now own the Street Fighter IP? They certainly didn't have any issues giving Capcom a chunk of cash for that game.

ShenmueNextGen

Neo Member
The click-bait machines are rolling again.

Next time click-bait corrupted journos will call Yu Suzuki a pedophile...
And fear the 60fps fascists too.

image.png

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Sexy and Shenhua don't belong in the same sentence/image. How does that even work with her personality/life/attire? Sorrys but just no.

Shadoken

Sexy and Shenhua don't belong in the same sentence/image. How does that even work with her personality/life/attire? Sorrys but just no.

Dont worry you will still find haters here defending even that article. I think maybe he was referring to the new character Niao Sun , but even then we have no idea how shes going to look.

But yea , I feel like no matter what Suzuki says these retards find some way to make it look bad. I saw the Dualshockers article earlier and was wondering , " Man how can you make this into a clickbait headline and came up to a blank " And then saw this.

Suzuki should just stop doing these interviews and being honest. Maybe hire a PR or something , Literally anything he says is used against him.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Dont worry you will still find haters here defending even that article. But I think he was referring to the new character Niao Sun.
Ohh well she was in the image an if not her I figured maybe Joy which is still just no. I'm keeping myself info/spoilery free so I'm not about ta look up this new character!

Suzuki should just stop doing these interviews and being honest. Maybe hire a PR or something , Literally anything he says is used against him.
The haters'd turn around an be like "where is Yu and what is he hiding from us?!"

epmode

I've seen many of the biggest crowdfunded projects treated like this while they are in development. I suppose some feel that the game doesn't deserve fair coverage because it sidestepped traditional funding methods or something?

I don't understand it either.

Suzuki was interviewed and was asked about how the characters are improving since the initial reveal. He said things are going well and they've since collaborated with Shenhua's original character modeler and now she's looking cuter. This is the character that he referred to as being sexy

MwZnYxl.jpg

Both seem to be accurate descriptions of their appearance and not something that's really worth making a big deal out of like MCV is.

There is no doubt in my mind that if MS had announced shenmue the same way Sony did at E3 there would far more pushback and skepticism from media sites. Members on this site would have had far more skepticism and would have been up in arms to a far greater extent as well.

Shadoken

First of all, I backed Shenmue 3 too. It matters because I want to know what I am funding. The game got ~$6M on Kickstarter. That's a lot of money, but maybe not for a Shenmue game. Now Yu wants more, from fans. What type of game are we funding now?.

KS isn't that big worldwide and it doesn't accept paypal. Tons of fans outside of US/EU wanted a Paypal option because they wanted the KS goodies.

Also a lot of people cant just suddenly fork up the money even if they wanted any of the KS stuff. Paypal was something MANY fans WANTED.

Spaghetti

the low effort clickbait machine stirs yet again

where's the coverage of yu suzuki talking about the combat mechanics?

*crickets*

Spaghetti

reposting these. essential for newcomers to understand what shenmue is and why shenmue 3 is a very positive thing

Part I: Of Dreams & Dreamcasts: https://medium.com/@MoosaviAmir/6145a484bbf1

Part II: The Death of the Dreamcast and Shenmue’s Uncertain Fate: https://medium.com/@MoosaviAmir/7415134fd9c0

Part III: The Brief Lives of Shenmue Online & Shenmue City, the Birth of Ys Net, and the Seeds of an Idea: https://medium.com/@MoosaviAmir/91b3add6dbbd

Part IV: Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt & Hope: https://medium.com/@MoosaviAmir/feb33078ef60

Shin-Ra

Suzuki was interviewed and was asked about how the characters are improving since the initial reveal. He said things are going well and they've since collaborated with Shenhua's original character modeler and now she's looking cuter. This is the character that he referred to as being sexy

MwZnYxl.jpg

Both seem to be accurate descriptions of their appearance and not something that's really worth making a big deal out of like MCV is.
Promising, I wonder what else they've worked on.

There is no doubt in my mind that if MS had announced shenmue the same way Sony did at E3 there would far more pushback and skepticism from media sites. Members on this site would have had far more skepticism and would have been up in arms to a far greater extent as well.

Majority of shenmue fans aren't sweating this. Most concern you see is from folks who never touched the game or who are extremely misinformed, such as the guy who kept making it seem like Yu was begging for more money after fans begged and begged for PayPal donations. I mean, like what a joke.

Danlord

Adding the MCV link to the list on the OP.

*sigh*

These "games journalists" have nothing but contempt for this game, there's no way this game is going to get a fair and balanced review when the time comes.

I might start a list of potential headlines they'll use because it's another way to rip into the game, probably something about being decades too late or something about Kickstarter being a limiting factor in it's success because reasons.

Shenmue

Banned
This is so sad. I mean I understand clickbaiting, but don't these guys have topics to clickbait that would get far more clicks than Shenmue? I mean realistically, not that many people even care about Shenmue.

Like clickbait Halo or Call of Duty? Wouldn't that have potential to get like 10000x more clicks than an "article" about Shenmue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom