• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The shooting of Ahmaud Arbery

TheGreatYosh

Jul 19, 2018
yep all things he should have been gunned down in the street for /s

There’s one reason those dumb fucks hunted him down, it was the color of his skin. Had a white dude been jogging down the street they wouldn’t have minded. I’m not going to judge how he reacted because I wasn’t in the situation. I’m not a minority so I haven’t had an entire life of racism being piled on me so while my reaction might have been different, I don’t fault him for reacting differently.

But the situation should have never happened in the first place, which makes the blame game fucking pointless.
If the White dude had his background. They probably would have done the same thing. You people, and the media are dangerous. A video I posted in this thread was talking about a shooting of an elderly White couple at cemetery while they were visiting their deceased son. A black guy did it as revenge for the Ahmaud Arbery 'lynching'. Very little coverage by the media by the way.

I wonder why the Guardian would edit the video of Ahmaud's run in with the police?

Bumblebeetuna

Jun 23, 2008
If the White dude had his background. They probably would have done the same thing. You people, and the media are dangerous. A video I posted in this thread was talking about a shooting of an elderly White couple at cemetery while they were visiting their deceased son. A black guy did it as revenge for the Ahmaud Arbery 'lynching'. Very little coverage by the media by the way.

I wonder why the Guardian would edit the video of Ahmaud's run in with the police?
How ironic that you're using a Red Elephants video about fake media when they themselves have done the same shit. Idk where you're going with this, you don't know where I get news from or what I know about this story. Are you telling us media twists and contorts information to sell stories and generate clicks? My mind is blown. Are you telling me some asshole murdered people because some other assholes murdered someone else? The world is a shitty place.

But I'm curious as to how you know the motives of some asshole who is now dead and never told his story? Did you hear about it on the media and took it as fact? Again, ironic.

Last edited:

bRacing

Feb 13, 2020
Zero evidence that they threatened him, there was no attempt to apprehend Arbery on the video. All we see is Arbery attacking a redneck holding a shotgun.
And the word of the murderers that Arbery already dodged one of their redneck roadblocks prior to running into theirs. Now why would he feel threatened by two groups of rednecks with guns?

Reactions: All Hail C-Webb

TheGreatYosh

Jul 19, 2018
How ironic that you're using a Red Elephants video about fake media when they themselves have done the same shit. Idk where you're going with this, you don't know where I get news from or what I know about this story. Are you telling us media twists and contorts information to sell stories and generate clicks? My mind is blown. Are you telling me some asshole murdered people because some other assholes murdered someone else? The world is a shitty place.

But I'm curious as to how you know the motives of some asshole who is now dead and never told his story? Did you hear about it on the media and took it as fact? Again, ironic.
Red Elephants has never edited footage on a reporting to create a narrative as far as I'm aware. And I for sure haven't shared it if they have. I'm glad you admit the Guardian is trash though. Blacks target Whites all the time for perceived racism. Like this guy in California. https://independentcitizen.com/black-man-kills-four-white-men-to-combat-racism/
The media and people like yourself are not the cause of this complex, but you're not helping. Apparently the racist black guy was troubled by the Ahmaud Arbery shooting. https://mtonews.com/white-couple-killed-by-black-gunman-possible-retaliation-for-ahmaud-arbery

Last edited:

King of Foxes

Jan 9, 2018
Latvia
Just like "your kind" dismisses how white people treat cops and how differently cops treat those white people than they would if black people were treating them in the same exact manner. Funny how double standards work.
Your kind meaning posters in this thread and other retarded people online refusing to acknowledge the dead guy did anything wrong

chitzy

Banned
Mar 8, 2020
And the word of the murderers that Arbery already dodged one of their redneck roadblocks prior to running into theirs. Now why would he feel threatened by two groups of rednecks with guns?
"Murderers"

Self-defense isn't murder.

NickFire

Mar 12, 2014
I don't trust the media to report on this story with honesty or integrity. Not even the slightest.

But that aside, I'm not the least bit comfortable nor ok with armed civilians jumping out of trucks with guns to confront someone who was walking around a construction site in their neighborhood. Armed confrontations over suspected minor property crimes down the street have no place in society in my opinion. If you go down that path and someone gets injured or killed, I fault the person who pulled the gun first.

chitzy

Banned
Mar 8, 2020
So which is it, did they try to put him under citizens arrest or was there no attempt to apprehend him?
You could make the case for a citizen's arrest, but it's unnecessary. It's clear from the video that the rednecks did not attempt to physically detain Arbery. Rather, Arbery chose to attack and got pumped full of lead.

daveonezero

Nov 19, 2018
not really, it shows the utter lack of respect and contempt he has for police who are required to carry guns.

If he acts so aggressively with actual officers of the law then him charging and attacking a man with a gun cannot be so easily dismissed....but of course your kind will just dismiss it
I don’t think you understand my point of view.

Disrespecting police is a total different thing. I didn’t watch those videos but I’m sure the cops were bad as I think ACAB.

What’s my kind? And what does that have to do with personal opinions.

NickFire

Mar 12, 2014
You could make the case for a citizen's arrest, but it's unnecessary. It's clear from the video that the rednecks did not attempt to physically detain Arbery. Rather, Arbery chose to attack and got pumped full of lead.
I think its perfectly reasonable to go on the offense when it appears someone pulled a gun on you. Maybe there are better ways to avoid getting shot by some hillbilly looking dude pulling a gun on you, but I'm certainly not about to play Monday Morning Quarterback on another individual's subconscious fight or flight reaction.

chitzy

Banned
Mar 8, 2020
I think its perfectly reasonable to go on the offense when it appears someone pulled a gun on you. Maybe there are better ways to avoid getting shot by some hillbilly looking dude pulling a gun on you, but I'm certainly not about to play Monday Morning Quarterback on another individual's subconscious fight or flight reaction.
Zero evidence that they pulled a gun on Arbery before Arbery attacked. GA is an open carry state so it's completely permissible to carry a weapon in the open.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: TheGreatYosh

NickFire

Mar 12, 2014
Zero evidence that they pulled a gun on Arbery before Arbery attacked. GA is an open carry state so it's completely permissible to carry a weapon in the open.
I could give two shits if its legal to jump out of a truck with a gun, and I'm not about to pretend that a normal person in his shoes would not have felt threatened by the scene they created. If their initial behavior was technically legal then they are lucky because that should remove first degree or felony murder from where the wheel of charges stops. But I would still charge them with manslaughter or something else. In my opinion the confrontation was at best recklessly caused by people who enjoy their guns way too much.

chitzy

Banned
Mar 8, 2020
I could give two shits if its legal to jump out of a truck with a gun, and I'm not about to pretend that a normal person in his shoes would not have felt threatened by the scene they created. If their initial behavior was technically legal then they are lucky because that should remove first degree or felony murder from where the wheel of charges stops. But I would still charge them with manslaughter or something else. In my opinion the confrontation was at best recklessly caused by people who enjoy their guns way too much.
So you think the reasonable thing to do when you feel threatened by someone holding a shotgun is to attack them?

King of Foxes

Jan 9, 2018
Latvia
I don’t think you understand my point of view.

Disrespecting police is a total different thing. I didn’t watch those videos but I’m sure the cops were bad as I think ACAB.

What’s my kind? And what does that have to do with personal opinions.
then why are you commenting

NickFire

Mar 12, 2014
So you think the reasonable thing to do when you feel threatened by someone holding a shotgun is to attack them?
I did not say it is "the" reasonable thing. I said it is "a" reasonable thing, with a nod towards the subconscious fight or flight reaction our minds do when threatened.

But to answer your question directly --> yes, sometimes fighting back is the best thing you can do. Key word is sometimes.

Why ask though? Are you suggesting taking one in the back is a more noble death than fighting back?

chitzy

Banned
Mar 8, 2020
Why ask though? Are you suggesting taking one in the back is a more noble death than fighting back?
Literally any other course of action other than "attack guy holding shotgun" and Arbery would still be alive.

poppabk

Jan 21, 2008
USA
But they had been chasing him by their own admission. If they had just been sat in their truck minding their own business and he had just tried to grab their gun, then there is no way this isn't justified as self defense.
The question is whether Aubrey had reason to fear bodily harm based on their self avowed actions leading up to this point. If so he has the right to defend himself - even if we might question the sanity of doing so given he was unarmed.

Reactions: DeafTourette

chitzy

Banned
Mar 8, 2020
But they had been chasing him by their own admission. If they had just been sat in their truck minding their own business and he had just tried to grab their gun, then there is no way this isn't justified as self defense.
The question is whether Aubrey had reason to fear bodily harm based on their self avowed actions leading up to this point. If so he has the right to defend himself - even if we might question the sanity of doing so given he was unarmed.
Any laws against keeping tabs on someone you just witnessed trespassing while you're on the phone with the cops waiting for them to get to the scene to sort it out?

chitzy

Banned
Mar 8, 2020
You are 100% speculating there. I can do the same thing. Watch me:

Literally any other course of action other than "pulling out a gun" and Arbery would still be alive.
Zero evidence that they pulled a gun before Arbery attacked.

Neil Young

Neo Member
Mar 26, 2020
But you're able to pretend that Arbery was just "walking around a construction site"?

I know it's a difficult discussion and things will be uncomfortable to mention without ruffling some feathers.

Most neighborhoods are close knit and they know what is going on and let everyone know. People knew that the property had trespassers, it bothered the owner so much that he put up a no trespassing sign and security cameras. Arbery looks to have visited this site at night on a previous occasion. Now for the uncomfortable:

A predominantly white neighborhood may notice, and be a bit uncomfortable with, black men trespassing on their neighbors property...especially at night. Now for even more unpleasantness, crime statistics. They exist and are a reality.

Now, in Arbery's case, it just happened to work out that he was a convicted thief and gun felon.

Justice will hopefully prevail, and if evidence comes out that the shooters had an agenda that day and acted outside the law, they will go down.

Reactions: cryptoadam

daveonezero

Nov 19, 2018
then why are you commenting
As I said whatever is in those doesn’t affect t he situation in the neighborhood.

that’s how law works. And again what side do you Think I’m on?

I already posted that from the video we have of the incident that the escalation wasuncalled for. As a crime wasn’t witnessed by the citizens making the arrest.

therefore they escalated the situation trying to stop him.

chitzy

Banned
Mar 8, 2020
But you're able to pretend that Arbery was just "walking around a construction site"?

I know it's a difficult discussion and things will be uncomfortable to mention without ruffling some feathers.

Most neighborhoods are close knit and they know what is going on and let everyone know. People knew that the property had trespassers, it bothered the owner so much that he put up a no trespassing sign and security cameras. Arbery looks to have visited this site at night on a previous occasion. Now for the uncomfortable:

A predominantly white neighborhood may notice, and be a bit uncomfortable with, black men trespassing on their neighbors property...especially at night. Now for even more unpleasantness, crime statistics. They exist and are a reality.

Now, in Arbery's case, it just happened to work out that he was a convicted thief and gun felon.

Justice will hopefully prevail, and if evidence comes out that the shooters had an agenda that day and acted outside the law, they will go down.
Additionally, the property owner had reached out to police about burglaries and trespassing on his property. The cops put him in touch with the senior McMichael, who had surley seen the video footage of Arbery trespassing late at night.

NickFire

Mar 12, 2014

I have no qualms about discussing the type of things you label as uncomfortable. I just don't agree that any such allegations (or facts) made the armed confrontation that occurred appropriate or reasonable.

All Hail C-Webb

Hailing from the Chill-Web
Jun 6, 2004
New York
I appreciate your posts in here, but I have no clue how you and some of the others are able to do it.
I read a couple of posts in this thread, and I just felt shame and anger.
I know it's just a small group, and I haven't seen many of those names in other threads, but just knowing that I'm in a group with such stupid and vocal bigots is embarrassing to me.
You have no chance of educating people who don't have the capacity to learn, so why deal with them at all?
Can you imagine what this thread would look like if it had been Muslims killing a white Christian under the same circumstances?

Last edited:
Reactions: SlaughterX

NickFire

Mar 12, 2014
I appreciate your posts in here, but I have no clue how you and some of the others are able to do it.
I know it's just a small group, and I haven't seen many of those names in other threads, but just knowing that I'm in a group with such stupid and vocal bigots is embarrassing to me.
You have no chance of educating people who don't have the capacity to learn, so why deal with them at all?
Can you imagine what this thread would look like if it had been Muslims killing a white Christian under the same circumstances?
You talk to people you disagree with because the alternative is our current political status quo. Not to mention that setting a precedent of excluding wrong think can boomerang back in horrible ways.

Neil Young

Neo Member
Mar 26, 2020
What bigots? Seems most of the racism in this thread is towards white people. Unless that was what you were talking about.

And your Muslim example.....YUCK. Go back to bed and sob.

All Hail C-Webb

Hailing from the Chill-Web
Jun 6, 2004
New York
You talk to people you disagree with because the alternative is our current political status quo. Not to mention that setting a precedent of excluding wrong think can boomerang back in horrible ways.
I'm talking to people I disagree with all the time on Neogaf. It's one of the strengths of this forum, and I've said so many times.
This isn't about wrongthink (Thank you Tucker), it's about not wasting time on imbeciles and bigots.
I've seen a couple of posters have direct facts pointed out to them on multiple occasions, and they're still posting the same stupidity.
I personally think it's an epic waste of time and frustration, so I was wondering how bracing is able to do it without going mental.

chitzy

Banned
Mar 8, 2020

what is with this fucking guy wearing that winter jacket around with no shirt underneath?

Cravis

Gold Member
Aug 18, 2006
The hits just keep on coming. He didn’t deserve to die but poor life choices contributed to the path that ultimately led to his demise.

Last edited:

maneil99

Mar 30, 2013
Canada
Even IF he was stealing from construction site, you shouldn't have to resort to citizens taking justice in their own hand. There is little doubt that if the police had been involved that it wouldn't have ended like this.

We don't need armed citizens chasing down other citizens. It's a slippery slope that has already led to someone's death.
There is a video of 4 other people going into the construction site the same night

Last edited:

Woo-Fu

incest on the subway
Jan 2, 2007
Lol, that's some 0d chess right there. "I can't pull a gun if I have it out already, all the time."

Last edited:
Reactions: maneil99

Woo-Fu

incest on the subway
Jan 2, 2007
Show me where it's a crime to carry a weapon in GA.
Show me where that has even an iota of relevance to what I said.

Your argument was that they "didn't pull guns on Arbery because with open carry your gun is always out." which is about as dumb of an argument as I've come across on this forum.

A black guy who faces repeated attempts to detain by armed rednecks has reason to fear for his life. That's just the way it is in America. Pretending otherwise is just that, pretending. He could have been an escaped felon who just got done raping every old lady in the local nursing home, if they didn't witness it they didn't have legal grounds for a citizen's arrest. That's the law, period, end of story. People trying to argue about what Arbery did or didn't do seem to be missing that point.

Last edited:

chitzy

Banned
Mar 8, 2020
Show me where that has even an iota of relevance to what I said.

Your argument was that they "didn't pull guns on Arbery because with open carry your gun is always out." which is about as dumb of an argument as I've come across on this forum.
Define "pulling a gun". Aiming a gun at someone? We don't see any evidence of anyone aiming a gun at Arbery until after he attacks. Are you defining pulling a gun as holding one? Open carry is legal in GA. So whichever way you define it, nobody "pulled a gun" in any sense that would be considered illegal. So, I'm not sure where you're screeching about here.

Last edited:

off duty ninja

Formerly 'AFreekinKing'
Apr 18, 2014
He could have been an escaped felon who just got done raping every old lady in the local nursing home, if they didn't witness it they didn't have legal grounds for a citizen's arrest. That's the law, period, end of story.
Just want to point out that isn’t the law. The law allows for citizens to perform citizens arrest if the have reasonable suspicion of a felony.

Ahmaud’s behavior (scoping the street before entering, sprinting away when seen by neighbor) is enough for someone to believe a felony burglary was committed.

Felony burglary in Georgia includes intent even if nothing was stolen. So while Ahmaud may not have committed a felony, they had reasonable grounds to suspect he had based on his behavior that day combined with previous history and even the homeowner contacting them to check the property.

This article breaks it down pretty well.

I agree that the citizens arrest law is messed up and should be changed but you are supposed to acquit or convict based on the actual laws in place and not just feelings about the laws.

poppabk

Jan 21, 2008
USA
Just want to point out that isn’t the law. The law allows for citizens to perform citizens arrest if the have reasonable suspicion of a felony.

Ahmaud’s behavior (scoping the street before entering, sprinting away when seen by neighbor) is enough for someone to believe a felony burglary was committed.

Felony burglary in Georgia includes intent even if nothing was stolen. So while Ahmaud may not have committed a felony, they had reasonable grounds to suspect he had based on his behavior that day combined with previous history and even the homeowner contacting them to check the property.

This article breaks it down pretty well.

I agree that the citizens arrest law is messed up and should be changed but you are supposed to acquit or convict based on the actual laws in place and not just feelings about the laws.
Based on what has been released of the story they told, they never knew that he was on the construction site that day.

off duty ninja

Formerly 'AFreekinKing'
Apr 18, 2014
Based on what has been released of the story they told, they never knew that he was on the construction site that day.
I was just refuting his claim about the law. From the different things I’ve read and watched it seems there is a lot of misinformation out their about what they did or didn’t see. I believe the story is that Gregory was outside as he ran by after leaving the property and that is when they went after him.

Either way I still think it comes down to the prosecution proving that they assaulted him in some way before the altercation took place based on the charges they filed.