• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The shooting of Ahmaud Arbery

maneil99

Mar 30, 2013
Canada
Redneck, hillbillies, and inbred aren't racial specific? Bullshit "chief". Hillbilly and inbred is that Appalachian/Deliverance shit. And who are you to decide what slurs are harmful or prevalent?
Yea show me some stats or studies showing the prevalence of hillbilly, inbred, and redneck being detrimental to any significant degree compared to terms like wetback, chink, N word ect.

TDiddyLive

Feb 22, 2018
Yea show me some stats or studies showing the prevalence of hillbilly, inbred, and redneck being detrimental to any significant degree compared to terms like wetback, chink, N word ect.
It’s curious you fully type out some racial slurs, but decide to censor another. No agenda there...

Reactions: and 3 others
May 22, 2018
Apparantly, repeatedly trespassing, burglaring a neighbohood, resisting arrest and initiating a violent encounter is A-OK as long as you have the right skin color.
Resisting arrest? Are you saying those two random jamokes had the authoritative powers that would mean Arbery was "resisting" their attempts of arresting him? This thread is a shitshow.

Mar 6, 2016
Police forces outside of the USA deal with that by policing people who have fewer rights than the people in the USA.
wtf am I reading? So outside of the USA every country is totalitarian dictatorship? Of course you would say that to deflect from the fact the USA policing is horrific lmao.
You know Australian police can't even draw their guns for the fun of it? They have to fill out a ton of paperwork explain why they drew their gun even if it wasn't even aimed at someone.
Shoot first and ask questions later doesn't work.

I guess this nonsense falls into another stupid reason that people aren't actually gunned down in the street for next to nothing via police or civilian heroes.

Reactions: SlaughterX
May 22, 2018
wtf am I reading? So outside of the USA every country is totalitarian dictatorship? Of course you would say that to deflect from the fact the USA policing is horrific lmao.
You know Australian police can't even draw their guns for the fun of it? They have to fill out a ton of paperwork explain why they drew their gun even if it wasn't even aimed at someone.

I guess this nonsense falls into another stupid reason that people aren't actually gunned down in the street for next to nothing via police or civilian heroes.
Umm excuse me sir, have you not been paying attention here? Arbery was gunned down, some would say justifiably, because he was "resisting" "arrest". Get your facts straight before you come in here shitting up the mature and rational discussion occurring in this thread.

Ornlu

Oct 31, 2018
Besides whitey, none of those are racial specific slurs or have a history against White people.
Terms like inbred, hill billies ect can be traced to suburban-rural divide and is commonly used or has similar alternatives in non white cultures.

I’m not saying you can’t be racist to white people, I’m saying there really aren’t any harmful prevelant slurs. Whitey certainly ain’t it chief lmao
We shouldn't be referring to anyone with racial slurs, regardless of what race they are. It doesn't matter if you deem them "harmful".

Reactions: DeepEnigma

StormCell

Dec 11, 2018

I don't stay up to date on other country's gun laws and assumed that your initial question was baiting me towards gun control as the reason why other country's police officers aren't so timid and shoot-happy. Now do you understand my response?

I think your example is excellent. I don't see any good reason why that isn't part of the process in the US.

Last edited:

Neil Young

Neo Member
Mar 26, 2020
Stats? What the fuck? YOU said those terms weren't slurs for white people specifically. Sorry, they are, and you called someone a snowflake for thinking that. I simply asked what the equivalent would be for a black man and you deflected. Don't worry, I'll look up those stats to confirm that calling a white person an inbred redneck may be considered on par with calling someone a chink. What the?!

I was trying to point out the blatant hypocrisy that there are people in this thread who think it's fine to be openly racist against whites (using slurs) while calling others racist or bigots who even question the established narrative. Many of whom, are not using similar slurs to describe the victim. Funny that.

DeafTourette

Gold Member
Apr 23, 2018
Stats? What the fuck? YOU said those terms weren't slurs for white people specifically. Sorry, they are, and you called someone a snowflake for thinking that. I simply asked what the equivalent would be for a black man and you deflected. Don't worry, I'll look up those stats to confirm that calling a white person an inbred redneck may be considered on par with calling someone a chink. What the?!

I was trying to point out the blatant hypocrisy that there are people in this thread who think it's fine to be openly racist against whites (using slurs) while calling others racist or bigots who even question the established narrative. Many of whom, are not using similar slurs to describe the victim. Funny that.
Most of the people using those terms in this thread are white.

I only used the term "idiots" which is non-exclusive to anyone.

NoLootBoxDev

Mar 23, 2012
Heredia,Costa Rica
To be honest, in almost any other country those guys should go straight to jail. They pretty much hunted a guy (regardless of color), they end up killing him (he did nothing wrong). Those things should not be normal in any country, and not defensible.

One time inside, the owner came and he saw me inside his construction. I told him sorry, I wanted to see the house inside. I did not fear he would take a gun and shot me, and even today I should not fear that. Now imagine someone else who has nothing to do with the owner came and shot you without reason, because ¯\_( ͡❛ ͜ʖ ͡❛)_/¯.

Even my wife has done it, some times you want to see how is the house inside, space, rooms and such. Not because you want to steal anything. It is sad, that for some people this a valid excuse to get you killed, which is not.

StormCell

Dec 11, 2018
To be honest, in almost any other country those guys should go straight to jail. They pretty much hunted a guy (regardless of color), they end up killing him (he did nothing wrong). Those things should not be normal in any country, and not defensible.

One time inside, the owner came and he saw me inside his construction. I told him sorry, I wanted to see the house inside. I did not fear he would take a gun and shot me, and even today I should not fear that. Now imagine someone else who has nothing to do with the owner came and shot you without reason, because ¯\_( ͡❛ ͜ʖ ͡❛)_/¯.

Even my wife has done it, some times you want to see how is the house inside, space, rooms and such. Not because you want to steal anything. It is sad, that for some people this a valid excuse to get you killed, which is not.
I feel like the group of us need to get on a phone call or Zoom conference, because what you wrote isn't an accurate depiction of what happened to Ahmaud and doesn't match the reason(s) why people, here in this thread, have defended the outcome.

I don't think the defenders of the shooting are racist.
I don't think anyone is saying Ahmaud deserved to be shot for trespassing.

Lastly, I don't even think Ahmaud was going to be shot. He was not on his way to being shot. This is controversial, I know.

Reactions: jsnake19

maneil99

Mar 30, 2013
Canada
We shouldn't be referring to anyone with racial slurs, regardless of what race they are. It doesn't matter if you deem them "harmful".
I agree, terms like inbreds, hillbillies ect just creates a divide between cities and rural areas. I was calling out the idea that these terms are on the level of other racial slurs

maneil99

Mar 30, 2013
Canada
“Show me a study on slurs”

Gtfo idiot.
Nice double digit IQ reply. Surely you realize the biggereason slurs are an issue is due to the long term ramifications / impact on the class / race they are used on right?

the majority of people in this thread using “anti white slurs” are probably white.

Reactions: DeafTourette

jsnake19

Neo Member
Mar 30, 2020
Resisting arrest? Are you saying those two random jamokes had the authoritative powers that would mean Arbery was "resisting" their attempts of arresting him? This thread is a shitshow.
The thread is a shitshow because posters like you cant keep up with the facts of the story. They attempted a citizen's arrest. They were openly carrying. Both of these things are legal in the State of Georgia. If you would actually take the time to watch any of the videos that explain these things, maybe you wouldn't look like such a dipshit to those of us who have kept up.

May 22, 2018
The thread is a shitshow because posters like you cant keep up with the facts of the story. They attempted a citizen's arrest. They were openly carrying. Both of these things are legal in the State of Georgia. If you would actually take the time to watch any of the videos that explain these things, maybe you wouldn't look like such a dipshit to those of us who have kept up.
Why the childish insults and aggressiveness tone. You are way too emotionally attached to this whole thing man, chill. Might be time to take a break and go for a walk or something.

poppabk

Jan 21, 2008
USA
Who says they attempted a citizens arrest? We don't know they communicated anything to Ahmaud about their intentions (which might actually work in their favor).

DeafTourette

Gold Member
Apr 23, 2018
Having a legal right to open carry or perform a citizen's arrest doesn't mean they didn't act illegally or presented themselves as a threat to Ahmaud.

And how do you KNOW they attempted a citizen's arrest? Did they SAY that? Did they have video evidence that they were trying to do that?

According to the GBI, they have additional footage that points to their guilt and will present it in a court of law.

Reactions: NoLootBoxDev