• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Silent Hill 2, 3 & 4 PC thread - A guide to a better HD Collection

Tcm3yUO.png

Astral

dmix90

Just want to share my little aspect ratio fix for Silent Hill 3 for people who use steam big picture or do not have access to numpad during gameplay etc. There is a similar fix on wsgf but windows defender marks it as dangerous file so i didnt bother with it(maybe there are other tools like that i am not aware of).
Just put launcher.exe in directory with your sh3.exe file and start game from it. If launcher does not work try to install vcredist files which are in archive with the tool. You can add this launcher to steam etc. I haven't tested this thing much but i was able to finish game on 16:9 display with no visible issues.

FOV values are hardcoded( i am awful with C++, sorry about that lol ) to three screen aspect ratios: 16:9( 0.9 and 1.2), 16:10( 0.91 and 1.1 ), 21:9( 0.68 and 1.2 ) and in other cases it uses default values.

Absolutely no idea if values are correct for last two. In case of 16:10 i found those values in some random thread online and in case of 21:9 i just tried to find something that feels somewhat right. ...¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Tool checks your windows main display resolution and calculates fov values based on that data. Let me know if this thing works for someone else or if fov values are not correct!

Also i had no idea that Silent Hill games( tried with SH3 and SH4 ) support force feedback on PC! I am using XInput controllers(X1, X360) and vibration works perfectly if you install this tool( i am not an author just cant find original link right now )

There also was issue with Silent Hill 4 on Windows 10. Screen would flicker like crazy if you launch game in fullscreen mode. Not sure if it is fixed now( there was quite a few updates to W10 since last time i played it ) but i think i had to use homemade fix for that as well. Might be able to dig it out if someone needs it.
Hi guys. I'm getting this laptop. http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=N82E16834315131&cm_re=core_i5-5200u-_-34-315-131-_-Product on Friday and I'm wondering if it'll be able to run at least Silent Hill 2 and 3 smoothly with all the added settings in the thread. I don't remember the specs of my current laptop but it's able to run Silent Hill 2 pretty decently without all this added stuff but 3 only ran ok at best. There were many dips in the framerate.
It should be fine if you lock your framerate to 30. I am not able to hold 60 in this game and i have 6700k and 970 in SLI lol.

jonaand

Neo Member
hello
i only have pal.exe of silent hill 4 pc

can anyone share with me na/ntsc.exe of silent hill 4 for use wrapper nemesis 60fps and widescreen hack

thanks so much

jonaand

Neo Member
in silent hill 2 after use
sh2pc_letterboxfix have this problem

86631032447152090986.png

dont see letter in principal menu

have nvidia gpu and cpu intel and windows 10 64bit

Persona7

Banned
It's so weird how only Silent Hill 3 has stayed in print. It is also the only one they developed in house if I am remembering correctly.

jonaand

Neo Member
Hmm, I checked it out and tried correcting things, but I couldn't get it to work either. I'm afraid you are SOL if you want to have languages other than English or Japanese. Sorry, but look at it as a learning experience of the English language :

in data folder change name for example

message_item_msg_s

to

message_item_msg_e

and make it with the others files

and the text subtitule will be in spanish for example

work for me using ntsc exe

LUXURY

About to dive into making these work for PC. I just got a brand new big box copy of 3 for 60 bucks. Now I'm trying to decide on what to do for 2.

Persona7

Banned
About to dive into making these work for PC. I just got a brand new big box copy of 3 for 60 bucks. Now I'm trying to decide on what to do for 2.

Why did you not get a new DVD copy for like a third of that price? Installing the disks is a huge pain in the ass in the original CD version.

Brhoom

Banned
I want to play Silent Hill 3 on PC but there seems to be this 60fps to 30 fps drop that isn't fixable, anyone knows why does this happens even with today's PC?

LUXURY

So I've got Silent Hill 2 running using the files on the first page however it doesn't look right. It's in full screen (I'm using a 32 inch 720p TV. Resolution is 1360x768.) it looks really sharp and jagged. Not like the images shown here. Is there something I'm missing. I don't know how I can take photos to show. Perhaps if I linked it to Steam? I've messed with the settings in the game but it didn't seem to change much. I have a GTX 970. Like how to I change the AA and all of that? Thanks for any help.

EDIT: How dumb, it's in the control panel. I'm changing things but they don't seem to be taking effect?

EDIT: It... looks... amazing. Wow. Compared to the HD pack on consoles. Great work everyone.

Persona7

Banned
US retail was CDs while PAL release was DVD

The PAL version is easily available in most regions, even North America. Amazon.com fulfills a ton of PAL DVD copies. Definitely prefer the DVD version and it was reprinted so tons of copies are available and a new copy is like 20-25 dollars.

Mainly for collecting purposes. I wanted the big box version.

Oh, right. I didn't think of that. The big box is cool...but the CDs...I was glad to retire my old copy.

televator

I wish there was a stronger mod presence in Silent Hill PC games. Restoring PS2 audio into a 5.1 mix, and the original fog would make the PC ports truly definitive.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
prices for this games on ebay are sky high.

There's been rising interest in the series as of late due to word of mouth and appreciation for them, coupled with Konami paying little respect for its classics it has in its catalog (and have soured their name extremely in the last couple years, and even before then were slowly killing themselves off from the market), and it can equate a formula that will make the prices rise as there grows more demand to play these games than there is supply.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
i don't get it...why they don't release it again to the market where's cleary demand?

The answer to this will be very unfortunately because it's Konami, and all Konami seems interested in doing these days in pachinko machines and discrediting the people who made their games and company what it is in the first place.

dmix90

I want to play Silent Hill 3 on PC but there seems to be this 60fps to 30 fps drop that isn't fixable, anyone knows why does this happens even with today's PC?
Just lock framerate manually to 30. I used RTSS. It's probably the way it's meant to be played anyway.

How'd you do that? Different EXE? Having this exact issue.

I am not quite sure if dropping the European EXE into the American version would work.Someone may have to try it.
You are better of finding the full European version or using the Modern Compatibility fix with the American version.

Lime

SH3PROXY was released a couple weeks ago and it had a couple different options in the .ini file to correct the stuttering issues.

https://github.com/07151129/sh3proxy

FUCK ME

Setting arbitrary video mode without conflict with the game's settings
Setting arbitrary horizontal FOV (field-of-view) angle
Silent Hill 2 references can be unlocked without having to complete the game
Fixes white border around game window on Windows
Disabling black borders during cutscenes
Setting arbitrary shadow resolution

oh wow oh wow oh wow

Looks like I have to play through Silent Hill 3 for the 26th time now.

5olid_5nake

Looks awesome.

If only we would get the ps2 fog and sounds for SH2 somehow it would truly be the best version. Fingers crosed!

verboten84

Neo Member
Ok, got SH2 PC running with the proxy fix, but I can't get SH3 to run.

I keep getting this error when I try to launch it: The application was unable to start correctly 0xc0000142

Any help? On Win10.

Also, does it matter which bit version of c++ I you use? Downloaded the x86 version, but I have a 64bit computer.

Stiler

Listening to that audio comparison of the pc vs playstation of Silent hill 2...oh man, I never knew the PC audio was that bad.

Is there any mod that has used the playstation audio in place of the standard pc?

Brhoom

Banned
Any similar tweaks for the original Silent Hill on a PSX emulator, or something even better?

My advise?

Play it on a CRT with the Original PS1 console.

Or

Play it on Retroarch.

After playing on HD with widescreen hacks and all, I still think the original version with the dithering is the best.

AugustBlade

Neo Member
I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but, if I had millions of dollars...I'd pay Bluepoint, or whomever, to actually do the remasters the right way. After playing the HD collection, it's like I'm in a nightmare that I can't wake up from...

SOLDIER

So after applying the SH2 Proxy and ini settings, do I need to leave the in-game settings untouched? I took a brief look and it's got things like shadows and lens flare disabled by default.

What about the resolution? Leave that alone and just use the ini settings?

SOLDIER

Tried Silent Hill 3 with the instructions, but I'm getting worse performance there vs SH2: I get a lot of framerate dips, everything in slow motion and water. There seems to be a lot of aliasing as well, and I also can't get the right analog stick working with either game (the original games used it, right?).

Top Bottom