• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Silent Hill 2, 3 & 4 PC thread - A guide to a better HD Collection

Ran Echelon

Neo Member
Hey thanks, yes it was. I'll go for another ending sometime but I'm going to start SH3 now.

Is the combat in SH3 any improvement on SH2? If so I might up the difficulty, I ended up with loads of spare ammo/health items on my play-through.

Firefoxxx

Neo Member
Has anyone ever enabled force feedback in Silent Hill 2 PC? I've got one of these and a Dualshock 2 hooked up and even though the vibration function is turned on, I never feel a thing. I also can't configure the sticks at all, but luckily the left stick works as it should. The right stick doesn't though, so the camera control has to share the same stick as movement. I know it's not the controller's fault, it works perfectly in other games/emulators/etc.

I have an adapter that looks like yours (just in black) with an original DS2. Vibration works fine with SH2 PC.
I'm using the driver from the adapter.

UrbanRats

Hey thanks, yes it was. I'll go for another ending sometime but I'm going to start SH3 now.

Is the combat in SH3 any improvement on SH2? If so I might up the difficulty, I ended up with loads of spare ammo/health items on my play-through.

The combat is more fluid and responsive i'd say.
However i found SH3 itself to be harder than SH2 (aside from the bosses, all very easy) mostly because the game doesn't pause when you check on locked doors and stuff, which is very annoying.
Not taking into consideration going for the 10 stars rank, of course, as SH2 is hellish in that sense.
Also, i may be wrong, but in SH3 on Hard you can fall off ledges.

And if you beat the game on hard there are like 10 levels of extreme (one unlocking when you beat the prior) of increasing difficulty.

--
Anyway, screen-capped this from SH1 the other day, made me laugh:

iH0MVRr7NCp6w.gif

Harry is quite the understated observer.

Also, i may be wrong, but in SH3 on Hard you can fall off ledges.
Yes, you can. Makes a few later levels extra intense, especially once you can't see shit for fear of disturbing zee monsters.

Man SH3 is as bleak as it gets. Puts you in a weird mood after extended playing.

Lime

Boulotaur2024, there's a widescreen fix for SH2 through PCSX2. Lovely shots, would love to see them in 16:9 as well!

peronmls

^

While working on enhancing the PC cutscenes, I did investigate ways to enhance the audio side as well.

I don't remember what was the deal with sound effects, but you can replace the music. I worked on it a bit using as a source the soundtrack cd, but I came to the conclusion that it takes someone that knows how to cut and join together portions of the music to match the PC samples. I have no such experience.

I contacted someone which seemed to possess both audio editing skills and a love for SH, but apart from an initial enthusiastic reply that he'd look into it, I haven't received another, even when I asked weeks later if there have been any developments.
I know how. The music is dynamic which is triggered in game by you (the player).

GrazGamer

I just discovered my old Silent Hill 2 PC CD disks in the depths of my garage.

Surprised it installed on win 8.1 but got it installed booted and, with this thread, running and looking sooo much better than the crappy HD port on 360 I played through last year.

Now to find the third....

Grief.exe

Awesome thread!

I hope Konami comes to their senses, fixes up the ports, and pushes them on Steam. My best option is probably trying to track down the PS2 versions.

Collecting PS2 games has seemed far easier than any other console, the games seem to be in larger quantities and available for far cheaper.

Erevador

This thread is an absolute treasure, as is this series.

I've been re-visiting Silent Hill 4 after never finishing it. Despite the repetition of areas, there is a lot of truly classic Silent Hill material in this game. It's deeply underrated.

dhonk

Hey guys, followed the thread and used the patch for SIlent HIll 2. Sadly ran into some problems. (Windows 8)

Got to the first save and it tells me it cant save. Googled this and I apparently need to run it as administrator which I did. But then xpadder stops working for some strange reason. I'm thinking it might be better to rebind with the default controller support? (using 360 controller by the way.)

Thanks!

Szadek

Hey guys, followed the thread and used the patch for SIlent HIll 2. Sadly ran into some problems. (Windows 8)

Got to the first save and it tells me it cant save. Googled this and I apparently need to run it as administrator which I did. But then xpadder stops working for some strange reason. I'm thinking it might be better to rebind with the default controller support? (using 360 controller by the way.)

Thanks!
Try to install the game outside of program files.
That at least worked for older system,not entirely sure about 8,though..

dhonk

Try to install the game outside of program files.
That at least worked for older system,not entirely sure about 8,though..

Oh interesting, ok will try.

No go, and Id use the bindings menu but it doesnt recognize the 360 triggers as buttons. Bummer, thinking it might be better to rip my ps2 copy and do it that way.

EDIT: NVM, fixed it. Run SH2 as admin, THEN run xpadder as admin.

JimPanzer

So if I want to play 2 and 3 with my DS4 hooked to my PC what is the best option? get the pc versions or hunt down the PS2 version and emulate? how big are the visual differences between the two versions?

Chabbles

I was looking at the SH4 tut in the OP, the "fixed.exe" for widescreen and "art money table" files are dead. Anyone got'm ?

Silent Hill 2 at 6720x4200 with GeDoSaTo :

- Download Squizzy Repatcher and replace your sh2pc.exe with the one provided in the archive
- Open sh2pc.exe with your favorite hex editor. Search for 80020000E001 and replace it with the resolution values you'll get converted from this chart. (Alternatively you can calculate the hex value yourself). Save
- Download ENB dx8-> dx9 converter and drop it into the game bin folder
- Configure GeDoSato : here is my .ini file as a reference. Of course you're going to adapt it so that both the renderWidth and renderHeight values match the resolution you "hacked" into the game executable earlier

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
In honor to the recent Silent Hills announcement. I've decided to play both SH3 and SH4 for the first time (despite owning them for 2 years now). I adore the first SH and hope to play SH2 after. I've never been much of a PC gamer, but will hope to Xpadder and everything else running properly by today. Can't wait to play this on big picture mode! :D

zXe

Could I request that details in the post below be properly added into the OP, under some kind of heading like "Anti-aliasing for Nividia users"

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=41997937&postcount=129

I ask this as I've spent ages trying to get AA to work after doing everything else in Limes post to properly configure SIlent Hill 2 on PC. The details in angular graphics post, namely editing the device.fix file - ensure that AA properly works in game when you have set AA (mode = override) in the Nvidia control panel.

Would at least make life easier for those who have Nvidia cards and would save sifting through to find that post. Not sure if Lime did have that info initially or on one of those drop box links in the Op, but those are now dead. So also a heads up really.

Cheers

Lime

Last time I played, PS3 version, Silent Hill 2 was Ok. Didn't try SH3, I was really tired by doing the same for the forth time :S

No, Silent Hill 2 on PS3 is terrible with tons of changes of the original material and bugs that shouldn't be there.

So is the console HD collection still frowned upon? Did they not patch the bugs?

Don't play them at all.

Silent Hill is available on US PSN, not sure about Europe.

It's available in Europe too.

Could I request that details in the post below be properly added into the OP, under some kind of heading like "Anti-aliasing for Nividia users"

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=41997937&postcount=129

I ask this as I've spent ages trying to get AA to work after doing everything else in Limes post to properly configure SIlent Hill 2 on PC. The details in angular graphics post, namely editing the device.fix file - ensure that AA properly works in game when you have set AA (mode = override) in the Nvidia control panel.

Would at least make life easier for those who have Nvidia cards and would save sifting through to find that post. Not sure if Lime did have that info initially or on one of those drop box links in the Op, but those are now dead. So also a heads up really.

Cheers

Of course, I'll do it right away.

Menome

Didn't realise my PC versions of 2,3 and 4 were all worth so much these days. I think I got the lot for about £10 each.

EDIT: As I've not touched them since about 2006, I might be willing to part with them for a non-extortionate price for any UK Gaffers if they really are that hard to come by. I'll just need to double check all the discs are there/undamaged etc first.

HeelPower

I enjoyed playing through the HD collection with new voices.

A new experience it did provide for the games,for better or for worse.So it was still fun to play them.

But still sucks that the games will probably never get another "official" HD treatment due to this debacle.

I played the HD collection post patch on the PS3 and both seemed perfectly playable and comparable to how I remembered them on the PS2. Of course the comparisons available online show this is clearly not the case but it was no longer hilariously broken(although the video above shows this isn't always the case). Remember before the patch Silent Hill 3 would drop to the 10s while you were running through the fog outside. And Silent Hill 2's fog remains fucked but the original panting noise glitch was horrifying. Wish they'd give it another go with the PC versions and bring over the new voice acting which I preferred by a large measure.

Still, the various tweaks done by people here are good enough for the time being. Hopefully they come to steam eventually in the ramp up to the new game.

HeelPower

I played the HD collection post patch on the PS3 and both seemed perfectly playable and comparable to how I remembered them on the PS2. Of course the comparisons available online show this is clearly not the case but it was no longer hilariously broken(although the video above shows this isn't always the case). Wish they'd give it another go with the PC versions and bring over the new voice acting which I preferred by a large measure.

Still, the various tweaks done by people here are good enough for the time being. Hopefully they come to steam eventually in the ramp up to the new game.

same here really.

The only thing that annoyed me was the annoying FPS dips and input lag when roaming the streets of the town.

Fully enjoyed the new voices eventhough I am aware they will never replace the original performances.

One scene that got totally butchered was the boat rowing scene,however.It was SO glaring.Its supposed to be one of the best moments in the game.

Kyonashi

I'm so shit at applying mods and patches to my PC games, how much am I missing out on if I just play my vanilla PS2 copy on my BC-compatible PS3?

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
After a couple of hours, I managed to get SH3 running perfectly. Couple of issues I spotted on the guide in the OP:

• The download link to the FOV tool is broken, here's a mirror
  • The key.ini file has the escape key binded to ESC. You should change it to L in order to be able to cancel/go back with the circle/B button on your controller
  • In order to activate the FOV tool with my controller, I binded numpad * to pressing the left trigger. That way I can do everything without having to go reach my keyboard
Here's a link to an updated Xpadder profile containing these changes. As a side note, since I didn't want to use motioninjoy's drivers for my DS3, I used the steps in this post to trick my laptop into thinking I'm plugging a X360 controller. It worked flawlessly.

Top Bottom