• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Silver Case |OT| Kill The Past

Man...fucking Kamuidrome.

I don't think a game has made me feel so dirty as I did watching that
Sayaka Baian livestream.
This game's whole portrayal of the internet circa '99 is so fascinating to look at in 2016. Kinda like when you look back at MGS2 and that game predicting how online communities and information would form, though more skewed towards being very insidious.

Things are really building up to something heavy in the climax. Just Lifecut and the last two reports and I will finally be able to (maybe) comprehend everything that's happened.

Golnei

I'm referring to a certain slur I haven't seen in a game since Policenauts, and that was a fan translation.

It was a very brave decision, and ultimately the right one. Games still lag behind other mediums in that regard, leading to it being common for all manner of profanity to find its way into scripts, but slurs and epithets can't be used, regardless of their appropriateness in the setting and for the characters, or whether the writer is actually condoning their use. It shouldn't invite controversy when used in this context (unlike, say, that "Kill the Faggot" indie game), but it will always run that risk until games slip out of the ghetto they still have one foot in as far as public perception is concerned.

cj_iwakura

Thank god they translated the chapter titles, was wondering about that.

CuN0pBlXgAA1CdL.jpg

Comparisons!

Sumio spits some FIRE in that chapter.
CuN2eGdXgAAZCcb.jpg

voodew

Neo Member
Oh boy, getting that trivia achievement seems like it's going to be hard. Also, does anyone have any tips for the Typhoon apartment complex achievement? I thought I explored through the entire place but didn't get the achievement. Are there any easily missable areas? Oh, if anyone has any tips for the Hit & Blow achievement that would be sooo helpful.

Just finished Decoyman and this game is awesome. Really enjoying the atmosphere this game has. Gameplay isn't exactly the highlight but the tense moods when you're investigating or walking around is really great.

Story's very interesting so far too. First chapter went in a direction I wasn't really expecting. Next chapter's gonna be something.

Gemeanie

Finished Decoyman longer than I should have because I spent some time S/Ling for Hit & Blow achivement lol

Just noticed the first report in Placebo was unlocked. Should I go on with Transmitter and come back for Placebo later or am I suppose to alternate between the two protagonists?

Baust

Played up to some of Decoyman. So, this might be a dumb question but...

During the puzzles, it looks like the magnifying glass solves the puzzles? Is this like a "solve this for me" button? Are the puzzles solvable manually?

During the puzzles, it looks like the magnifying glass solves the puzzles? Is this like a "solve this for me" button? Are the puzzles solvable manually?

Basically yes, I noticed that in the 0# chapter too, I think it was added for the HD remake to make things simpler, but you can also solve them yourself too.

arttq

I noticed this too during the second demo with those crypted door keys. Those could be solved manually.

Just noticed the first report in Placebo was unlocked. Should I go on with Transmitter and come back for Placebo later or am I suppose to alternate between the two protagonists?

I'd say to you alternate between Transmitter and Placebo. That's the way I played it.

So no problems with the port/remake? Any reason to wait for a patch before diving in?

I've just finished it with zero problems.

Am I missing something, or did the LRG key not include the deluxe content? Don't see it in my game data folder, and the Steam page shows a price for the deluxe options when it should be showing "already in library" since I redeemed my code.

AHA-Lambda

I'm a bit lost myself, but I know some things, so feel free to ask and I'll see if I can help.

ok, let me see if what I've gathered so far is right.

Basically there was an infamous serial killer years ago named Kamui, and this case was known as "The Silver Case", leading to his capture and then a subsequent establishment of these HCU departments in the police force.

Kamui now seems to have somehow(?) broken out of confinement and killed his counsellour, and the game begins.

Start of the game shows Tetsu encounter him on the road, and the police try to hunt him down.
They then somehow lose him but see other civilians killing each other? And some weird ghostly stuff too? this part lost me tbh

Anyway, after this, police hunt Kamui in the woods, and they all get killed bar one person, the player character.
Kamui has now killed 2 more people, the girl at the sewer and the one at the mall.
We then investigate a business partner of his, who it turns out has captured Kamui and was planning to kill him for revenge over business? But she also was the real killer of the 3 people not Kamui? Why?
Oh, and the kids at the shelter are all Kamui's kids with the 3 victims, that fact just seemed to get dropped in passing

It's not impenetrable supernatural nonsense like Suda's usual stuff (killer is dead) but it's writing style (for me at least) has not been easy to follow.
Is it just me, or am I the only one having some trouble?

cj_iwakura

ok, let me see if what I've gathered so far is right.

Basically there was an infamous serial killer years ago named Kamui, and this case was known as "The Silver Case", leading to his capture and then a subsequent establishment of these HCU departments in the police force.

Kamui now seems to have somehow(?) broken out of confinement and killed his counsellour, and the game begins.

Start of the game shows Tetsu encounter him on the road, and the police try to hunt him down.
They then somehow lose him but see other civilians killing each other? And some weird ghostly stuff too? this part lost me tbh

Anyway, after this, police hunt Kamui in the woods, and they all get killed bar one person, the player character.
Kamui has now killed 2 more people, the girl at the sewer and the one at the mall.
We then investigate a business partner of his, who it turns out has captured Kamui and was planning to kill him for revenge over business? But she also was the real killer of the 3 people not Kamui? Why?
Oh, and the kids at the shelter are all Kamui's kids with the 3 victims, that fact just seemed to get dropped in passing

It's not impenetrable supernatural nonsense like Suda's usual stuff (killer is dead) but it's writing style (for me at least) has not been easy to follow.
Is it just me, or am I the only one having some trouble?
The three women were their mothers. She was jealous, and killed them. She used Kamui as a decoy. The spirits are open to conjecture, but I believe they alternate between being malicious entities and the ghosts of his victims.

The chapter 0 killer was not Kamui. That was someone else.

AHA-Lambda

The three women were their mothers. She was jealous, and killed them. She used Kamui as a decoy. The spirits are open to conjecture, but I believe they alternate between being malicious entities and the ghosts of his victims.

The chapter 0 killer was not Kamui. That was someone else.

Hmm ok
Thanks for the clarifications

Just finished Spectrum, could somebody explain to me why the boy killed his friend,
sorry lost the names, but I'm a little bit confused if there even was a motive or just the
heart attack was the cause for the death of his friend?

Just finished Spectrum, could somebody explain to me why the boy killed his friend,
sorry lost the names, but I'm a little bit confused if there even was a motive or just the
heart attack was the cause for the death of his friend?
He didn't kill his friend.
Koichi and Hikaru were being chased by that man who lived on the third floor, the one originally assumed to have committed suicide. He had some mental disorders that basically made him go nuts when watching those two kids playing, so he chased after them. The whole chase, with Hikaru getting cornered by him near the train crossing is what triggered his heart attack. Koichi was effectively in shock, tried to get revenge by making the man jump and kill himself, and then was in denial for the next few weeks until Akira comes around and helps him come to terms with Hikaru's death.

He didn't kill his friend.
Koichi and Hikaru were being chased by that man who lived on the third floor, the one originally assumed to have committed suicide. He had some mental disorders that basically made him go nuts when watching those two kids playing, so he chased after them. The whole chase, with Hikaru getting cornered by him near the train crossing is what triggered his heart attack. Koichi was effectively in shock, tried to get revenge by making the man jump and kill himself, and then was in denial for the next few weeks until Akira comes around and helps him come to terms with Hikaru's death.

Thanks for the explaination, that makes sense. Man this was a weird case all around.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
This looks pretty damn awesome to be honest. I hope this doesn't come off as portable begging, but I usually prefer to play these kinds of games on a handheld, so are there any plans to bring this to the Vita?

Silver Case completed. In game clock says I spent just under 15 hours. Quite a lengthy journey.

For people who are still playing this and have already experience killer7 before: I can say that this game's plot will be infinitely more easy to piece together than killer7 ever was. Though it won't be easy. It's still a complex tale that goes places, but it won't feel like a string of complete nonsense when you sit back and analyze it.

This whole re release was so well done, major props to the people involved in publishing and localizing this game. Definitely one of my favorites this entire year.

cj_iwakura

So far this reminds me a lot of Persona 2: Eternal Punishment. It's less about catching the criminal, and more about the chaos he breeds. The Joker is stopped barely a third into the game, but then things really explode.

Kyonashi

Am I missing something, or did the LRG key not include the deluxe content? Don't see it in my game data folder, and the Steam page shows a price for the deluxe options when it should be showing "already in library" since I redeemed my code.

I have the same issue. It's definitely supposed to be the deluxe key, not sure what's happening here.

Dinjoralo

Just got to Spectrum. The game has black outlines on the 3D stuff, suddenly! That's... weird.

I'm referring to a certain slur I haven't seen in a game since Policenauts, and that was a fan translation.

Oooh, you mean that word they had a bunch of awareness stuff for in my high school. I did notice that, yeah.

So far this reminds me a lot of Persona 2: Eternal Punishment. It's less about catching the criminal, and more about the chaos he breeds. The Joker is stopped barely a third into the game, but then things really explode.

Feel the same way. The tone and aesthetic totally remind me of P2/Soul Hackers. Right up my alley.

Interesting how this game portraits cyber criminality, especially if you keep in mind from which year it was, KamuiDrome is hella fucked up.

uh, that cheat button is weird. At lest don't leave it there this blatantly. Are the notifications for ,,contact" also new in the remake?

Top Bottom