• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Sims 4 likely being announced Monday, domains registered/active, teasers start

Has EA even hinted at DA3's release window? I'm hoping it's sooner than later :-/

BioWare today announced Dragon Age 3: Inquisition, along with a release window of late 2013.
http://www.joystiq.com/2012/09/17/bioware-announce-dragon-age-iii-inquisition/

There have been internal rumblings that have hinted that the game has been suffering setbacks and issues in development and morale, so it may be delayed until 2014.

Oh this is great! I have a friend that works at a part of EA that works on Sims titles and last I heard from him he was getting worried about job security. Great news!

Sims is still a cornerstone franchise for EA. They're not going to prune consistent money-makers with large profit margins.

Iacobellis

You mean these?

They're still around. The blue plumbob is interesting, and worrying. Especially considering that University Life for Sims 3 has a sculpture of a blue plumbob named "The Future".

Online, maybe? I think it would work a lot better this time around.

Prelithe

Can't remember how bad the loading screens were for Sims 3, but Sims 1 and 2 were quite long, and I'd be very happy if The Sims 4 you you could seamlessly switch between lots.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
They are supposed to be announcing an expansion pack very soon. Does that qualify as major?

2014 would make sense for Sims 4, but given the 5-year gap between 2 and 3.

McNum

Yes. This time they'll make sure their servers don't go down.
If the servers couldn't handle SimCity, then they'll never be able to handle The Sims 4. The Sims is a multi-million seller series, day one will have 2-3 million people trying to play the game at the same time. The poor login server will fry.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
They are supposed to be announcing an expansion pack very soon. Does that qualify as major?

I'm not sure one really precludes the other, since all the expacs will be out before the end of the year IIRC.

Razyl

We know, that they are working on Island Paradise (Release: June 25, 2013) and on an futuristic expansion pack (release maybe fall 2013).

It could maybe the last expansion pack, but they activate the domain and invites many fansites, so the chances are high for a first look on The Sims 4. They can also announce it for the next-gen-consoles and show it at E3 oder somewhere elese.

Jac_Solar

A new Sims has so much potential for awesome stuff, but after Sim City, and various other games put out by EA, I really don't think that potential will be realized, or even close to realized.

I fully expect them to butcher the brand by making a poor clone of the previous Sims, forcing online gameplay only, and riddling every single aspect of the game with energy bars, $ barriers, subscriptions and game modes. The way they handled SimCity implies that they have something against gaming. The ingame ad content, not to mention all its other issues, shows that they really have no shame.

eXistor

I swear to God, not a month goes by that I don't see a new expansion set arrive in the store.

I looked it up: 17 freaking expansion packs as of march 2013. Mother of God... (granted that includes 8 accessories 'n shit packs).

Razyl

It seems weird for EA to start discussing 4 before the last two expansions are out.

They announced The Sims 3 in March 2008. The last big expansion for The Sims 2 was released in August 2008. So its nothing new for the series.

I swear to God, not a month goes by that I don't see a new expansion set arrive in the store.

I looked it up: 17 freaking expansion packs as of march 2013. Mother of God... (granted that includes 8 accessories 'n shit packs).

Well yeah, the game is FOUR YEARS OLD. It's ancient in video game terms.

Having a robust amount of post-launch content isn't a bad thing.

It seems weird for EA to start discussing 4 before the last two expansions are out.

Doesn't EA have their Q4 results and Conference call this Tuesday (the 7th)? Its likely not good, as Riccitiello sort of hinted at when he left, so I wonder if announcing or unveiling the Sims 4 and maybe other upcoming games (DA3) soon might be a measure to assuage investors a little. Especially since EA's release slate for this year in terms of unveiled games looks kind of barren.

I guess Game Informer has a cover unveil this Tuesday too, so maybe that's Sims?

If they release this for the next-gen Xbox my roommate is going to flip out. Her computer can barely run Sims 3, so if she doesn't have to worry about whether it will run or not, she will be happy.

McNum

They announced The Sims 3 in March 2008. The last big expansion for The Sims 2 was released in August 2008. So its nothing new for the series.
The last Sims 2 expansion pack even had a Sims 3 advertisement in it. A guy shows up in the game with a "special" computer for your Sims. It plays Sims 3. I'd expect some form of Sims 4 product placement in the final Sims 3 expansion pack. It'd be par for the course, and a very easy way to reach the desired audience: The players who only play the Sims and don't care much for gaming news.

EA announcing The Sims 4 soon seems within expectations, really.

Stuart444

This makes me want to play The Sims 3 (or The Sims 2 even :p )

Can't help but feel worried that they will screw this up like they did with SimCity though :(

Blablurn

This is actually looking like a pretty decent year for EA after the pretty ho-hum showing last fiscal year.

So for the full fiscal year we're looking at:
-Battlefield 4
-Dragon Age 3
-The Sims 4
-Titanfall (Respawn)
-Need For Speed 20
-EA UFC
-Madden 25
-FIFA 14
-NHL 14
-NCAA Football 14
-NBA Live 14
-Fuse

Not exactly the world's most shocking line-up, but at least it has some heavier hitters again.

Is NBA Live 14 for real this time?

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Is NBA Live 14 for real this time?
Yes, unless it is deemed to shoddy to release this year. Three studios are on the project now apparently—EA Canada, EA Sports Austin, and Tiburon.

Tagg9

I wonder if EA plans on making this into an MMO-like game (with a monthly subscription). I can definitely see them heading in that direction.

- Always online

- Share a neighbourhood with other players, enjoy as they rob your house and plaster trollface.jpg all over the walls, steal your grill and piss in your swimming pool

- Experience your virtual girlfriend in Sims 4 played by another person (a guy) and live together

- Buy clothes, food and items with real money, to impress the online community

so secondlife

Aghiliz

Neo Member
I didn't get the whole sims 3 thing. I played it at a friends house before it was ok but the DLC thing and stuff turned me off plus how long can one have fun on a sims game anyway?

The only sims game I loved was Sim City and I can't believe the new one was always on I didn't buy it. I mean come on didn't they learn form D3? Also its funny how D3 will be better on consoles because its not always on >.>

Always on is Bad!~

nekomix

I don't have faith in EA/Maxis for The Sims 4. The Sims 3 doesn't have Sims 2 appeal even if it has huge improvements over the latter, it misses the little details that made The Sims 2 + extensions the funniest Sims experience. Concerning extensions, they have less content than Sims 2 ones and rehash a lot of things from The Sims 2, really really disappointing.
So, I'm still interested in The Sims 4 but this time, I'm not buying it day 1 like I did with The SIms 3. And with the new hypothetically "always-on", I wouldn't expect a usable Sims 4. If SimCity users were able to make EA servers fry, I don't bother imagining the explosion of their servers with The Sims 4...

If this turns out to be a new game, I bet EA will make it always online and only let you control part of the house and rely on your friends to control the other parts.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
You'll have to put your house on a credit-line to afford all that DLC.

Top Bottom