• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Sky: The Art of Final Fantasy reprint coming this summer

My .co.uk is Dispatching now. .com is not moving so I've cancelled that (before I forget).

Has anyone in America got this or is this some odd thing where the European distribution arrived much earlier.

Is this release also going to be limited? I really like that the new box has a latch. To anyone on the fence these are beautiful books and a great bargain at this price.

Voror

My .co.uk is Dispatching now. .com is not moving so I've cancelled that (before I forget).

Has anyone in America got this or is this some odd thing where the European distribution arrived much earlier.

Nope, mine is still set for release date delivery on August 6th. :(

Theonik

I really regret cancelling the .co.uk order instead of the .com now... If I get struck with customs on top of that I'll be even more pissed.

AmanoBuff

Go on Peagles do it! Open it up. You know you want to. ;)

Joking aside here's some pics of what the 'slipcover' looks like and to gauge its build quality.

-snip-

Great photos! Thanks a lot. Glad to know that the books are exactly the same. I don't know. I'm tempted to buy this now. Perhaps I'll do and then sell it once I save for the limited edition.

Thanks for the pics again. They're great!

- Copy from ebay seller arrived today (UK).
- Amazon UK order (in place since late Jan) just dispatched.

No idea why the release date has been brought forward, but I'm not complaining!

fates

For what it's worth, it won't be August 6th from Amazon.com, they just haven't updated yet since the first delay in late April. When it will be shipping from them however... well, that's the big question.

And since Hyrule Historia was brought up... if Dark Horse will do for this what they did for that, we'll be alright. Dark Horse handled that really well despite the outrageous amount of sales they were getting for it (it never left the 1/2 spot on Amazon.com since it was posted, which means it was probably selling in the mid-hundreds daily on Amazon.com alone), and aside from a period of like a week and a half in February (and a Item Under Review posting), it was always kept in stock. Dark Horse really did well in keeping that on the shelves to meet demand. If they can do that here, everything will be ok. And I don't see why they wouldn't... it's good money for them and a solid product available to buyers who might come in a little late.

Teknoman

My order from TFAW confirmed shipped a few days ago, so thats cool. Looking at Gamestop's website, switched to the 17th.

Cross post from the Pickups thread:

qNZ4lLG.jpg

I ended up with a 'spare' of the reprint, but I'm keeping hold of it anyways. The copy in the centre is the first print edition, which I daren't open!

wilflare

man... after seeing this thread. I really want this. gah. someone hold me back.

there's no difference between the amazon.co.uk and amazon.com right?
other than UK shipping it out earlier.

and yea.. the first print.. seems no different from the above pic (but that amano book)

AmanoBuff

man... after seeing this thread. I really want this. gah. someone hold me back.

there's no difference between the amazon.co.uk and amazon.com right?
other than UK shipping it out earlier.

and yea.. the first print.. seems no different from the above pic (but that amano book)

Actually, there are quite a few differences. Here are them in order of importance (for me at least):

- The All About Yoshitaka Amano book with 128 pages
- A card hand-signed by Amano
- The acetate print with silver ink
- Two postcards with unique artwork
- A premium flip book (not that important but quite cool though)

Besides, the box itself is also a small piece of art. The first print one opened up to reveal a really nice drawing inside, while this new edition is just a (very well made) slipcase.

Here's a couple of pics to better illustrate some of the differences (both from fellow GAFfers iirc):

4IRjsdX.jpg

IhFL18k.jpg

Of course, if you just want the bulk of Amano artworks for FF or if time or price are something pressing for you, then this edition is the way to go. If you are a collector or a fan of Amano though, then there is tremendous value in that first print, even if it is almost impossible (and incredibly expensive) to find.

Dunan

Internatinoal buyer PSA: Amazon.com is shipping mine to Japan for a mere $5.98.

I wonder if this is being published in Asia to begin with. I can't see any other reason why this behemoth would cost less than the standard $12.50 international shipping that they charge even for little paperbacks.

AmanoBuff has done a fine job of pointing out the differences there. I have to admit, I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the reprint when it arrived, especially the outer sleeve. It's just as high quality as the first print, and weighs just as much! I think it might be DH's way of apologising to those who had their preorders for the first print turn sour. They certainly didn't skimp on quality, and at least folks now have a chance to get hold of the art books.

UrbanRats

Mine came in the mail yesterday.
Pretty cool books, also i'm not a collector so i don't personally care about first print edition, i'm just interested in the books (infact i would've happily got a paperback edition for less, but hey).

My copy has been delivered for nearly a week. I'm not around to pick it up for another month though.
Internatinoal buyer PSA: Amazon.com is shipping mine to Japan for a mere $5.98.

I wonder if this is being published in Asia to begin with. I can't see any other reason why this behemoth would cost less than the standard $12.50 international shipping that they charge even for little paperbacks.
I'd imagine it was printed in China. That aside the lower shipping cost might be due to your local "fulfilment center" amazon.co.jp having some copies in (I'd imagine reverse importing to occur considering the book has been out of print there for a decade and IIRC, held a price higher than the limited edition).

I'm not opening mine until I get a reading copy (or until it's clear I won't be getting a second copy for reading), but it is pretty much a big box like the first print.

Edit: And yes it's all nice and fabric-y too like the original!

I wasn't going to buy this because I thought the price as too high.

Fuck, I didn't realize THAT was what I would be getting.

I see it listed as July 23rd on Amazon.ca. Is that the official release date?

Teknoman

How long does TFAW take via usps economy anyway?

EDIT: approximately 7-14 business days?

moogle7ac.jpg

Oh well. Guess it wont be here till around late next week at the earliest.

Teknoman

I've never seen some of the art from Final Fantasy 3, shame that it seems like some never made it into the game. Also makes me want a new action game or RPG with Amano doing more than just the logo art or promo stuff.

FFXIV has some of his monster designs down-pat though.

I've never seen some of the art from Final Fantasy 3, shame that it seems like some never made it into the game. Also makes me want a new action game or RPG with Amano doing more than just the logo art or promo stuff.

FFXIV has some of his monster designs down-pat though.

Same. Any modern game that used his art would be very unique.

Teknoman

So people are already getting it? Is Amazon.com just being slow with it or what? Still says it doesn't come out till the 6th.

Got mine from TFAW.com after a couple people recommended it earlier. Shipped July 5th, arrived July 12. Economy shipping.

Same. Any modern game that used his art would be very unique.

iboKvt6txlrFqt.jpg

Yup, just look at his version of Cerberus. Use some sort of "sketchwork" engine similar to Romancing SaGa or Valkyria (or whatever was used for FFT War of the Lions cutscenes) and you'd have an amazing game. Amazing looking anyway.

Also I cant state enough how creepy Echidna looks. Also the hellhound just looks like its leaping off the page. Cant wait to see FF IV-VI since that book looks really thick. Or does book 2 cover IV-VII?

Protip: Make a playlist of your favorite classic FF tracks from I-IX while looking for the first time.

Thanks!
Never ordered from them before. Pretty reliable?
They ship via US Mail it seems, though. I'd prefer UPS or FEDEX. :/

They're great. I've been getting the vast majority of my graphic novels from them for years. They pack their shipments very well, and shipping is free over $50. Otherwise it's a flat $4.

They're great. I've been getting the vast majority of my graphic novels from them for years. They pack their shipments very well, and shipping is free over $50. Otherwise it's a flat $4.

how long does the shipping usually take?

Oh screw it. I'll likely get it before August 16th (when Amazon is projecting I'll receive it) anyway... and cheaper!
Again, I appreciate the suggestion! :)

chrono01

Are you stalking me or something? You seem to frequent the same threads I do. ;)
Sorry, I was about to ask the same thing. You seem to always enter a topic the second I'm about it. A "pre-emptive strike", if you will.

I will not lie, it's beginning to frighten me. :p

Vespene

I actually have Amano prints book from like 10 years ago. Mint condition. It includes most of the 8 and 16 bit eras and some of the PSX stuff. Before the series got polluted by anime cliches and designs.

tumblr_l5b3v94xka1qav8ifo1_500.jpg

I actually have Amano prints book from like 10 years ago. Mint condition. It includes most of the 8 and 16 bit eras and some of the PSX stuff. Before the series got polluted by anime cliches and designs.

Hey, I've got that too! Only complaint I have about it is that a lot of the artwork in it isn't printed very large. It's more like a catalog of his work than an effective way of showing it off.

chrono01

They charged my card. Shipping soon.
Bleh, they didn't get around to me yet. :(

But then, I chose Super Saver shipping and ordered a lot later than others, so that might be why [January 25th]. Here's hoping mine starts shipping soon!

Congratulations on yours, though. :)

Top Bottom