• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 'Skylanders Giants' |OT|

bradigor

My local Gamestation had loads of space for it. A whole front window pretty much dedicated to the game. Then as you walk in it hits you even more.

It's going to be massive yet again.

Zing

Banned
I see the Dragonfire Cannon is in that one triple pack. Is there any other info on the "items" or are there any planned expansion levels this time around?
No expansion levels this time. The old ones will unlock levels of the same name, but it is not clear whether these are the exact same levels as before, or new levels with the same name.

it would be sufficient to enable the game, as for the 3ds version, to simply unlock the avatar once tapped the figure on the gamepad.
there is no need to keep the figure on the portal/gamepad at all

There absolutely is. The design, not physically, but conceptually is for a child to have that link between the character being on the portal being transported into the game. As adults we don't care about that connection, but kids do.

Lenardo

Banned
MY Kids are already picking out which ones are going to be their's they each have a printout of the figurines with their initials on the ones they want,

last year they got all but 1 of the figures.(the one that came with the 3ds?ds? whichever one it was)

we have a display case in our living room with the figurines on it.

Mikor

Skylander was a good seller in terms of videogame, but from what I know it was huge in terms of toys (catalogued by NPD data as videogame accessories)
doens't surprise me to ear about more in-store space dedicated to the sequel

According to the Wikipedia entry for Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure, "Activision announced that as of June 3, 2012, the game had been the top selling console and handheld video game worldwide for 2012".

I realize the majority of the GAF userbase isn't exactly in the target market for this franchise, but I can't believe I haven't seen more discussion about it across various threads (unless I'm blind/missed something)!

ElNino

According to the Wikipedia entry for Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure, "Activision announced that as of June 3, 2012, the game had been the top selling console and handheld video game worldwide for 2012".

I realize the majority of the GAF userbase isn't exactly in the target market for this franchise, but I can't believe I haven't seen more discussion about it across various threads (unless I'm blind/missed something)!
I believe that is referring to revenue generated between both the starter bundles and the character packs. Considering the total revenue from the game would be much higher than the average game, it is not surprising although it is still impressive for a brand new IP.

I could be mistaken though.

Zing

Banned
I have posted about the game on pretty much every forum I frequent. There is a lot of hate for no apparent reason. Many complaints are claiming "physical DLC" and write the game off. It doesn't matter. Anyone with children in the house know this game is one of the best co-op video games ever created.

I am still looking for a decent way to store, display, and use my figures. Right now, they are in a plastic tray. I'm thinking that one of those large serving trays (plastic or wood) would be better. We like to have all the figures in front of us for easy swapping during the game, but carrying them all individually from a shelf to the TV is frustrating. The tray works, but the one I have now is ugly and too small. Some sort of clear acrylic tray would be best.

Mikor

I believe that is referring to revenue generated between both the starter bundles and the character packs.

Yeah, I believe that's inclusive of game-specific accessories sold too. Even so, with how huge Poke-GAF is, I'd have expected this thread and the previous one to have gotten more traffic. My wife and I don't have kids yet, but now that I've started to research the game, it's making the "collect-em-all kid" in me scream! I've battled my own internal monologue for a few days now deciding whether to jump in and go bankrupt.

I have posted about the game on pretty much every forum I frequent. There is a lot of hate for no apparent reason. Many complaints are claiming "physical DLC" and write the game off. It doesn't matter. Anyone with children in the house know this game is one of the best co-op video games ever created.

Couldn't agree more. Easily the best gaming experience I've had with my son. Hell the game taught him how to work an xbox controller properly. Still, I've probably spent close to £200 on the game and other merch all in. With another £100 probably coming from friends/family who've contributed to my son's collection.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
There absolutely is. The design, not physically, but conceptually is for a child to have that link between the character being on the portal being transported into the game. As adults we don't care about that connection, but kids do.

With the 3DS you already didn't have to keep the character on the portal. Just tapping the figures on it was enough. so they already did this, and I'd love to be able to use directly the gamepad to activate the figures exploiting the NFC features. it's study exactly for this kind of integration, ingame-wise.

I believe that is referring to revenue generated between both the starter bundles and the character packs. Considering the total revenue from the game would be much higher than the average game, it is not surprising although it is still impressive for a brand new IP.

I could be mistaken though.

yes it was revenue related.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Couldn't agree more. Easily the best gaming experience I've had with my son. Hell the game taught him how to work an xbox controller properly. Still, I've probably spent close to £200 on the game and other merch all in. With another £100 probably coming from friends/family who've contributed to my son's collection.

Sorry for the double post.
I agree with you and Zing. There is absolutely no reason to hate this Activision proposal, imho.

explodet

The OT was moved to Community, where a lot of the talk went. Although when I read it last time, I think there was more talk about completing collections, how hard it was to find certain figures, and about how much filthy money Activision was raking in than there was talk about gameplay.

You're not going to find many conversations about min/maxing stats or balance issues with this game. That's not a bad thing, mind.

Beckx

And the regular early morning trips to Target and Toys R Us to scope out Skylanders shipments begins again!

I'm somewhat surprised there aren't more completely new figures. I wonder which will end up being the Cynder/Camo of this game (the ones everyone's dying to get and that don't come out until the end of the cycle).

I just read that the portal in Skylanders Giants is different, plugging in via USB rather than requiring batteries.

Yea I'm gonna have to switch my preorder to the starter pack just because of that.

If anyone has any questions about the game/characters/etc., I'll do my best to answer them. My review of the Wii version just went up: http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/review/32161

Pardon my ignorance, but I just thought of something. Is there a level cap increase? If I remember right, level 10 was the max in the first game. I'm wondering if a level 10 character (with all skills purchased) brought in to Skylanders Giants still doesn't have the ability to develop further.

BearPawB

Banned
Played skylanders at my little cousisns house. It was actually a lot of fun for a kid focused game. I have been wanting to get the old one, just to fool around in. But it is still REALLY pricey. Anyone know about any deals for the starter packs for the old game?

Should i bother going back to the old game? Or just start with Giants?

nron10

Neo Member
@BarrenMind - All figures, even ones from Spyro's Adventure, can go to level 15. However, they don't reap the benefits of the reposed/series 2 guys, such as a new ability and the ability to go between both ability paths.

@BearPawB - I'd say go with the original. I think it's $40 on Amazon right now. Giants is definitely better, but the first one is still fantastic.

jlscool

If anyone has any questions about the game/characters/etc., I'll do my best to answer them. My review of the Wii version just went up: http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/review/32161

I am very concerned with how the portal is powered. I know this is for the Wii version, but is the portal still wireless? Do you know anything on the Wii U version regarding how it connects to the system now? I did not know why the Wii U version would not allow us Wii owners of the first one to just get a portal owner's pack (as far as I know it is not an option)

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
I am very concerned with how the portal is powered. I know this is for the Wii version, but is the portal still wireless? Do you know anything on the Wii U version regarding how it connects to the system now? I did not know why the Wii U version would not allow us Wii owners of the first one to just get a portal owner's pack (as far as I know it is not an option)

Old portals works fine with Giants, but the new portals in the Starter Kits are wired like the 360 one for Spyro's Adventure.

Making the Portal Owners Pack even more obsolete.

You get Jet-Vac, Series 2 Cynder, and Tree Rex new figures and get a new non-battery-chugging portal for only $15 more with the Starter Kit. Honestly, who's going to buy the Portal Owners Pack and spend $20+ extra on Cynder and Jet-Vac, when Jet-Vac only has a Lightcore single?

Buy the Starter Kit. (It's also the only way the Wii U version is sold)

jlscool

I have another question. This time about the figures that unlocked additional levels in Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure (Darklight Crypt, Dragon's Peak, Empire of Ice, etc.). I was curious if they do anything in Skylanders Giants. That would be cool if they unlock an additional level in the Giants game. I know you can use them as an attack on the entire screen when playing a level.

Tesco in the UK have the exclusive rights to Granite Crusher, which I picked up at just after midnight tonight. Didn't bother with any other figures as I've got a load on pre-order. Sticking mainly to the giants and variants like the Legendary figures available at Toys R Us. Argos appear to have a glow in the dark Fright Rider, but I think the glow in the dark characters look a bit crap and they're no different in game.

Also, it looks like the silver/gold variants found in very small numbers in amongst Series 1 have been replaced with stone statue like versions of characters.

fernoca

Made some changes to the main post, aside adding some details mentioned recently like the new portals been wired.

Labeled the main post as "FAQ", added a "Meet the Skylanders" section, on which the pictures of each can be used as avatars (here on GAF) clicking on them brings a wallpaper of that character; and their name links to their area on the official site with info/clips and other things.

Also turned "Misc." into a separate section at the end.

8bit

Knows the Score
Toyrus didn't have any of the character packs up, only the Portal sets so I've picked the figures that play.com failed to send from amazon.de.

Also, Saturn had a PS3 pack with Skylanders Giants bundled. Looks as if it's got a different version of Tree-Rex in it.

PS3SlimGiants.jpg

Old portals works fine with Giants, but the new portals in the Starter Kits are wired like the 360 one for Spyro's Adventure.

Making the Portal Owners Pack even more obsolete.

You get Jet-Vac, Series 2 Cynder, and Tree Rex new figures and get a new non-battery-chugging portal for only $15 more with the Starter Kit. Honestly, who's going to buy the Portal Owners Pack and spend $20+ extra on Cynder and Jet-Vac, when Jet-Vac only has a Lightcore single?

Buy the Starter Kit. (It's also the only way the Wii U version is sold)

the new portal also looks different. the old one used to have a green "ring" at the bottom, now this "ring" is white and lights up in according color to the skylander on the portal - very cool!

ASDA in the UK look like they have the cheapest prices right now on home soil.

The Tree Rex above is Gnarly Tree Rex. I hate that it's only available through buying a console. Still, if you want a 12GB PS3, you can be damn sure you'll get at least £30 for the figure on eBay, probably more (as it'll be the hardest variant to get hold of).

bumpkin

But does the new portal work with Spyro's Adventure? I'd be tempted to trade in my old portal if the new one will work with both games. No sense in owning two of 'em if I don't need to, after all.

izakq

Wait a minute, all versions of the portals are wired? If that is the case, then I might go for a starter kit, as my kid drains the batteries like a madman within hours.

nron10

Neo Member
Hey jlscool - Yes, all the Adventure Pack items unlock levels in Giants on Wii (can't confirm 3DS. Still waiting for our copy :( ). As far as I can tell, they're the same levels from the original.

Personally, I like the wired portal. Now I don't have to worry about batteries. though I think I changed batteries for the original once in 40-50 hours, so it's not like it was even an issue.

We should be getting a Wii U version of Giants before it comes out, and I assure you I'll let you all know how things work with it.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
A few questions....

How much will this cost on PC?

It's only 2p local but is it splitscreen or same screen MP?

I sort of got excited (depending on it not being an overpriced PC port) but they missed an opportunity by not including online co op.

Otherwise I'm gonna keep an eye from the sidelines.

EDIT - Just answered on of my questions. 60 dollars for the PC version is a joke.

BearPawB

Banned
*Sigh* went to best buy to get the original game yesterday...But I just couldn't bring myself to spend $100 on an old game with so much new stuff coming out.

jlscool

Hey jlscool - Yes, all the Adventure Pack items unlock levels in Giants on Wii (can't confirm 3DS. Still waiting for our copy :( ). As far as I can tell, they're the same levels from the original.

Personally, I like the wired portal. Now I don't have to worry about batteries. though I think I changed batteries for the original once in 40-50 hours, so it's not like it was even an issue.

We should be getting a Wii U version of Giants before it comes out, and I assure you I'll let you all know how things work with it.

Thanks for answering my questions. Good info.

The issue with the batteries was when you are switching Skylanders many times. I found that if we used the same Skylander, battery life would not be a big issue. But if you change Skylanders over and over again, it drains the batteries very quickly.

I am so glad the portal is now wired. That is great.

Syriel

*Sigh* went to best buy to get the original game yesterday...But I just couldn't bring myself to spend $100 on an old game with so much new stuff coming out.

$100? I thought the original Starter Pack was on sale for $40 at Best Buy. At least it was earlier this week.

Katzii

On the 'phone complaining to Sainsbury's as neither of my games came today. I don't need them today but I pre-ordered them with the principle that I would get them today.

Upside was that our local Tesco was absolutely bursting at the seams with figures so I was able to buy all of the new characters available in single packs and had the luxury of looking for the ones with the least blemishes (sadly, the paint quality doesn't seem to have improved much from the later-released figures from the original game).

EDIT: Got £10 "goodwill" for my next order. Pretty sweet - I just won't order something I'm in a hurry for! Just got the email with the code, and I quote:

"******HEAR IS YOUR VOUCHER CODE FOR £10 : ********** (CODE IS CASE SENSITIVE)*********"

Spelling aside, it has scored me a Wii U Gamepad cradle for £8, so can't complain.

Even though that's exactly what I did!

A few questions....

How much will this cost on PC?

It's only 2p local but is it splitscreen or same screen MP?

I sort of got excited (depending on it not being an overpriced PC port) but they missed an opportunity by not including online co op.

Otherwise I'm gonna keep an eye from the sidelines.

EDIT - Just answered on of my questions. 60 dollars for the PC version is a joke.
The first game was same-screen MP, so I would assume that this one will be the same.

Sora_N

Totally random but will anyone have an extra Tree Rex? I like the character, but for this game me and my gf are only getting one copy but I want my own Tree Rex. I might pick up an extra game-only copy of the game somewhere along the line when it's cheap on eBay but I'm not sure how I'd ever find a tree rex (regular).

Syriel

Totally random but will anyone have an extra Tree Rex? I like the character, but for this game me and my gf are only getting one copy but I want my own Tree Rex. I might pick up an extra game-only copy of the game somewhere along the line when it's cheap on eBay but I'm not sure how I'd ever find a tree rex (regular).

There will likely be plenty of cheap Tree Rexes available as every single copy of Giants comes with one.

Anyone who double dips console + 3DS (or current console + WiiU) will have an extra Tree Rex.

eBay will probably be your friend here.

Sora_N

There will likely be plenty of cheap Tree Rexes available as every single copy of Giants comes with one.

Anyone who double dips console + 3DS (or current console + WiiU) will have an extra Tree Rex.

eBay will probably be your friend here.

True dat, that's good news for me. :p Also I guess I COULD just buy the 3DS owners version but I didn't like the 3DS SA that much to be honest. It was ok. I'm glad the 3DS starter set has that Punch Pop Fizz, which I don't care for (compared to Dark Spyro which I mostly bought the game for).

P90

I am still looking for a decent way to store, display, and use my figures. Right now, they are in a plastic tray. I'm thinking that one of those large serving trays (plastic or wood) would be better. We like to have all the figures in front of us for easy swapping during the game, but carrying them all individually from a shelf to the TV is frustrating. The tray works, but the one I have now is ugly and too small. Some sort of clear acrylic tray would be best.

This is a great game to play with the kids.

We have the figures in a plastic tray thingy. There are Skylanders cases, but their price is off-putting for me.

Katzii

When I get my games, I will have two Tree Rex figures; problem is international shipping won't be cheap so it may not be beneficial in the end.

As for cases, I bought a plain blue one from Amazon for cheaper than the official ones and it did the job for the first game. It held all of the figures, plus Legendary variants, and the level expansion pieces, as well as my portal.

Sora_N

When I get my games, I will have two Tree Rex figures; problem is international shipping won't be cheap so it may not be beneficial in the end.

As for cases, I bought a plain blue one from Amazon for cheaper than the official ones and it did the job for the first game. It held all of the figures, plus Legendary variants, and the level expansion pieces, as well as my portal.

Yeah...I bet it won't really be worth it to ship from UK to Canada unfortunately. :/

Katzii

Given that it cost me about $5CAD to ship a sheet of paper to Canada today (no exaggeration!), definitely wouldn't be worth the cost. Hope you can find another one closer by! :)

Top Bottom