• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Sly Collection PS VITA |OT| A Stealth Release

Drago

QbSE8EK.png

The Sly Cooper Collection comes to PS Vita
From Sanzaru Games, the people who brought you The Sly Collection on PS3 and the fantastic Sly Cooper 4: Thieves in Time, comes the original PS2 stealth platforming classics, now on PS Vita in stunning
q
HD! Thanks to this collection, now the entire Sly series is playable on the Vita!

Publisher: Sony Computer Entertainment
Developer: Sucker Punch (original games) | Sanzaru Games (ports)
Genre: 3D Platformer
Trophies: Yes (presumably the same ones as in the PS3 collection)
Cross Buy: EU: Yes; NA: No

Games Included:
  • Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
  • Sly 2: Band of Thieves
  • Sly 3: Honor Among Thieves (Download Voucher)

Release Dates
  • Europe ~ April 16th, 2014
  • North America ~ May 27th, 2014

MSRP
£24.99
€29.99
$29.99

Box Art

Screenshots

Gameplay Footage
Sly 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hlaaks-VwfI
Sly 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCFdTsklK1c
Sly 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfjfyNzhmMs

REVIEWS
Press-Start.com.au ~ 8/10: http://press-start.com.au/2014/04/16/review-sly-cooper-trilogy-vita/

slycollection1.jpg

Vylash

Oh man I thought you meant they were already out, also I really hope they're separate on PSN since I really only want 2 and 3

I thought VitaGAF knew about this already. Saw it on Amazon a week ago, might pick it up if it's a competent port. Never played them on the PS2, so here's hoping it's good.

MUnited83

For you.
Holy crap, I didnt know it was releasing so early! I hope they are good ports. Seem that it's still made by Sanzaru so I have hope.

18-Volt

Who's porting this? Sanzaru themselves? Hopefully not the guys who did the Jak port. That was awful and almost unplayable. It shouldn't be that hard to port 10 something year old game to such powerful handheld.

Zalman

Who's porting this? Sanzaru themselves? Hopefully not the guys who did the Jak port. That was awful and almost unplayable. It shouldn't be that hard to port 10 something year old game to such powerful handheld.
Sanzaru did the port, yes.

Impressed that the screens are native res. Here's hoping the framerate holds up (I'm looking at you, Jak and Daxter Collection).

I absolutely loved Thieves in Times. Looking forward to finally playing these.

To be fair, Naughty Dog games are notoriously complicated tech. And we've already seen that Sanzaru is very vita capable, so nothing to worry about from them.

rjc571

Banned
Eagerly awaiting impressions on the framerate. Could this be the first PS2 port to the Vita that manages to run at 60 fps?

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
It's as if they wanted this to fail. Not even a PS Blog post, man.

Pelydr

mediocrity at its best
Sly 1 remains one of my favorite games ever. Two and three are also good, just not as platforming focused. I really enjoyed 4, also. So yeah, buy this people. Sanzaru seems like a good dev.

braves01

Banned
I've always been kinda interested in Sly, but I've never actually played one.

Which one is generally regarded as the best? How do they play relative to other 3D platformers? Does it reach DK64 levels of collectathon? Is it hard?

RK128

I don't think this will be cross buy, but as I own Sly 1 and 2 via PSN, I hope it really is cross buy in US PSN :(. Besides that, I have hope that this port is solid; Sanzaru did a great job with Sly 4 on Vita, so I have full hope that their experience with that indicates this will be a great port.

I would love to play the original again on Vita (a great fit too; barely any use from the L2/R2 buttons and the game having very simple Crash-like gameplay) :). I hope people don't expect much from Sly 3 through...its gets quite annoying during its second and third half (the game has bad Sonic's friend syndrome, where you don't even play much of Sly for the second half of the game with his friends taking center stage...the last level is fun though, being a fun challenge with Sly :)).

Zalman

I've always been kinda interested in Sly, but I've never actually played one.

Which one is generally regarded as the best? How do they play relative to other 3D platformers? Does it reach DK64 levels of collectathon? Is it hard?
Depends on who you ask, but my pick is Sly 2. I know for a fact that most people at Sucker Punch and Sanzaru feel the same way.

It does not reach DK64 levels of collectathon. The collecting aspect is optional. All the games except the first one have an open world structure, so you'll naturally start exploring and finding things as you move on to your next mission.

The games aren't really that hard except for a few moments. I always found them to have a nice balance of difficulty.

Levyne

Banned
Never played these before, aren't they stealth games?
Not sure they are really my thing with the talking animals and all.

They aren't really stealth games. A platformer with some open-ish hubs to do stuff in.

As for the second point, they are very much games targeted to a younger age group, in my opinion. But you may be able to enjoy it the same way you'd enjoy a Dreamworks movie.

In other news, GOW Collection doesn't look too hot, at least by looking at the screenshots.

gowcollection_gow1_screens_02_1392032860.jpg

Is it so hard for vita to display a PS2 game at native res, or close to it, a la Metal Gear Solid Collection? GOW looks to be running at a really low resolution.

They're doing you a favor by making 3 a download code. I wouldn't even bother. 1 & 2 are both great but pretty different at the same time and well worth playing.
In other news, GOW Collection doesn't look too hot, at least by looking at the screenshots.

gowcollection_gow1_screens_02_1392032860.jpg

Is it so hard for vita to display a PS2 game at native res, or close to it, a la Metal Gear Solid Collection? GOW looks to be running at a really low resolution.
These ports tend to be ps3 ports ported down to the vita instead of the ps2 versions ported up to the vita. I think a lot of it has to do with that.

Nakasan

Enjoying the absolute hell out if thieves in time right now with its lovely cross save. It's my first sly game, so I'm certainly interested in the original games now! Cross save is a must surely!?

TimmiT

Sly 2 is the best in the series.
Sly 2 is the best game in the series by far, 1 is no doubt the worst

I hear people say that Sly 2 is a great game all the time, but every time I give it a chance I just get incredibly bored by the tedious missions where I have to do simple and boring tasks in the same environment until the next level, where it just repeats. I honestly would like to know why people really like this game, because I sure can't figure it out why aside from perhaps nostalgia. It does seem like a decent game for kids.

breakfuss

Hahaha, is this really only cross-buy in EU? LOL. Such bullshit. I just found out about Child of Light doing the same. Anyway, this actually looks better to me than the Thieves in Time vita port.

Drago

Edited OP since the cross buy bit is mostly speculation on my part. There is no confirmation on whether the games will be cross buy or not, but Jak Collection was cross buy in Europe and was not cross buy in North America, so...

Apologies for any confusion.

RK128

I hear people say that Sly 2 is a great game all the time, but every time I give it a chance I just get incredibly bored by the tedious missions where I have to do simple and boring tasks in the same environment until the next level, where it just repeats. I honestly would like to know why people really like this game, because I sure can't figure it out why aside from perhaps nostalgia. It does seem like a decent game for kids.

I don't get either myself; I find Sly 2 to be alot of fun, but I love the original much more. I think its largely due to how Sly 2 kinda gets repetitive after long gameplay sessions and not mixing things up enough to stop that repetition. People love the game due to the build up to the final mission of each world; you feel like a master thief, with you and your team using everything you did in the world to get that item you want to steal. The game is a great game, but it can bore people sometimes :). Do you like Sly 1? If you love that game, you could also dislike this game due to not exactly building off what the original did (linear Crash-meets stealth stages).

I hate that NA has to wait more than a month after EU gets it. Oh well, as long as it's not as bad as the Jak port, I'll be happy. Sanzaru did very well with the Thieves in Time Vita version so I have faith that they'll be able to do the same with this.

Top Bottom