• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Smash community harassed a 15 year old female player to the point she decided to stop playing the game

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a terrible thread, I hope some of you look back on what you wrote here and gain some insight for it.

It’s all over the top about nothing.
Maybe because it's the internet and the way we're acting is a prime example of how this medium should be treated and what you should derive from it. Don't take it seriously and if it gets too thick for you then close the webpage, close the app, exert some self-control.

I'll look back on any of my engagement in this thread like a fart in the wind, it doesn't matter.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Maybe because it's the internet and the way we're acting is a prime example of how this medium should be treated and what you should derive from it. Don't take it seriously and if it gets too thick for you then close the webpage, close the app, exert some self-control.

I'll look back on any of my engagement in this thread like a fart in the wind, it doesn't matter.
I’m sure you will be the first offering condolences if they don’t have the skin and off themselves.

This is a teen we are talking about and not a fully “grown” adult like we are all expected to be.

If you can’t see the difference, I’m not sure what to say.

Generic

It was a different place back then.

Just let the kid be.

Now something like this haunts kids forever.

I thought we were better as a community.
It was worse. A pure, uncontrolled, anarchic hell. The concept of "cyber-bullying" didn't exist, the media didn't bother with internet censorship and nobody cared if 4chan trolls harassed you. Being a lonely 15 years old back then was me against the world.

Last edited:
I’m sure you will be the first offering condolences if they don’t have the skin and off themselves.

This is a teen we are talking about and not a fully “grown” adult like we are all expected to be.

If you can’t see the difference, I’m not sure what to say.
If someone off's themselves because of some shit people said on the internet then they would have never of made it in the real world anyway. There's people here (myself) with thick skin and I'm extremely apathetic to the plight of people dealing with problems on the internet whether they're teens or adults.

There's simple remedies for these issues if you can't stand the heat, log the fuck off. What a bunch of pussies people have become, my word...

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
It was worse. A pure, uncontrolled, anarchic hell. The concept of "cyber-bullying" didn't exist, the media didn't bother with internet censorship and nobody cared if 4chan trolls harassed you. Being a lonely 15 years old back then was me against the world.
Except cyber bullying controls came in in the early 99s and the Internet was patrolled much harder then it is now.

Let’s not remember this wrong. Most of the anti cyber bullying laws extend from rules that were created in the 90s, where you could only be bullied every 15 mins because that’s how long it took a webpage to reload.

Nobody was getting fired or having thier lives ruined over IRC

Kagey K

Banned
If someone off's themselves because of some shit people said on the internet then they would have never of made it in the real world anyway. There's people here (myself) with thick skin and I'm extremely apathetic to the plight of people dealing with problems on the internet whether they're teens or adults.

There's simple remedies for these issues if you can't stand the heat, log the fuck off.
And with that I’m done.

If you think bullying a teen is fine, I don’t think I have anything left to say to you.

Go ahead and do what you do.

It’s not OK with me.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
L6PD2P1.jpg

And with that I’m done.

If you think bullying a teen is fine, I don’t think I have anything left to say to you.

It’s not OK with me.
I think it's the internet and you shouldn't weigh anything based upon who is on the other side, it's not my responsibility to police other people especially teens for a lack of parental monitoring.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Look, I don't want to excuse pieces of sht that harrass people online but there is only one way to deal with it: Ignore them. Giving the harrassment Attention is the worst Thing that can be done.

It's like when IRL someone comes at you, the best course of action is to not give a shit because then the friction will usually disperse very quickly. Showing that you are upset just makes it worse.

Kagey K

Banned
The simple fact of the matter is you are playing baby’s first fighting game vs a bunch of baby’s.

If one of them beats you, they won. Doesn’t matter if it’s a boy or a girl or something in between.

It’s fucking embarrassing that this is what it’s come to for the Smash community.

You guys need to get over it and move on, because this is the section of gaming that people don’t want to be associated with.

It’s sad it shows up at its worst on a Nintendo console.

Last edited:

Generic

Except cyber bullying controls came in in the early 99s and the Internet was patrolled much harder then it is now.

Let’s not remember this wrong. Most of the anti cyber bullying laws extend from rules that were created in the 90s, where you could only be bullied every 15 mins because that’s how long it took a webpage to reload.

Nobody was getting fired or having thier lives ruined over IRC
I remember it correctly. 20-15 years ago people in online games and internert boards would insult you by just breathing and you couldn't do anything about it. . Nothing like today, where tech companies work to "fight toxic behaviour". Today the old internet only exists in certain containment boards and niche games.

Kagey K

Banned
I remember it correctly. 20-15 years ago people in online games and internert boards would insult you by just breathing and you couldn't do anything about it. . Nothing like today, where tech companies work to "fight toxic behaviour". Today the old internet only exists in certain containment boards and niche games.
That’s bullshit. Especially on popular games. I’m not going to even bother citing reasons, because you know that was disingenuous before you typed it.

It wasn’t the Wild West, and troublemakers have always been treated accordingly.

I don’t know if you weren’t actually there, or you are remembering it different then what it was.

Either way it was monitored and stopped.

Last edited:
Savage kun, have you seen smash players?
You mean the manchild who live at home, can't wear deodorant, and can't afford hotel rooms or clean clothes? Yeah I met them. Now, have you met the OG arcade players who saw people get shanked over tick throws or someone getting a posse over someone being a twat and being tossed out of the arcade onto hard hot concrete? Arcade players were mainly minorities in ghettos with that laundromat shit where people would throw hands and catch fades for doing even 1% of that smash virgin shit.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
You mean the manchild who live at home, can't wear deodorant, and can't afford hotel rooms or clean clothes? Yeah I met them. Now, have you met the OG arcade players who saw people get shanked over tick throws or someone getting a posse over someone being a twat and being tossed out of the arcade onto hard hot concrete? Arcade players were mainly minorities in ghettos with that laundromat shit where people would throw hands and catch fades for doing even 1% of that smash virgin shit.
Are you also perhaps an urban youth?

Are you also perhaps an urban youth?
A long time ago. I got to see the glorious days of Street Fighter 2 from its infancy. I still have memories of waiting half an hour to play ONE ROUND of Street Fighter 2. Then running out of money and going to Kmart to play Snes Street Fighter 2 because I lost to the Asian guy. Then hoofing it to another store to play that Mortal Kombat arcade machine. Memories...

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
A long time ago. I got to see the glorious days of Street Fighter 2 from its infancy. I still have memories of waiting half an hour to play ONE ROUND of Street Fighter 2. Then running out of money and going to Kmart to play Snes Street Fighter 2 because I lost to the Asian guy. Then hoofing it to another store to play that Mortal Kombat arcade machine. Memories...

Holy shit. KMart used to exist.

petran79

Banned

There was a small local arcade nearby where I lived, it was dangerous for teens to enter evening hours. I don't remember any girl daring to enter there.

It was also a time when gangs and hooliganism were far for rampant and those guys would also frequent arcades.
now you see even 6 year olds playing at net cafes all day

Last edited:

Whitecrow

Banned
I love it when there's two points of view that are not mutually exclusive yet people use them as arguments to fight.

Kagey K

Banned
It drives me crazy that they don’t understand teens do crazy shit and don’t really think about it.

This teen happened to grab a bit of attention and look at this mess.

Mass Shift

The important part is the 15 years old part. Everything else is irrelevant. A child almost got bullied out of her favorite game for beating a pedophile.

I wasn't excusing the harassment, just when I heard the voice it threw me for a second.

mcjmetroid

And with that I’m done.

It’s not OK with me.
I don't anyone is saying it's fine, just ....what the fuck can you do about it?
Bullying is bullying and will always be there.
It shouldn't be there but it is.
Awareness should be brought against online bullying but it's never going to stop.

You can choose to confront it or avoid the situation.

This person is going to avoid it and that's fine. There's very little to discuss here otherwise.

Lol wtf is Nintendo supposed to do? there isn't even any receipts on the so called harassers. All they could do is make some pointless virtue signalling state that people would tear apart anyway.

Best thing they can do is drop this shit sandwich in the garbage and stay far away from it.
Shure. Still those people are domaging Nintendo name and IP.

Nintendo can say simple things like harassment is a crime and none of their values (respect, care, protecting are). They can remind they have always being strong protecting kids (obviously they are !). Say they have nothing to do with these people and condemn what they have done. They can even go further and create an ethic charter for Smach Esport tournament making gamers ambassadors of Nintendo's values inside the Smash community. It would be quite mature and applause by everyone.

Last edited:

Blancka

Shure. Still those people are domaging Nintendo name and IP.

Nintendo can say simple things like harassment is a crime and none of their values (respect, care, protecting are). They can remind they have always being strong protecting kids (obviously they are !). Say they have nothing to do with this people and condemn what they have done. They can even go further and create an ethic charter for Smach Esport tournament making gamers ambassadors of Nintendo's values inside the Smash community. It would be quite mature and applause by everyone.

So they can virtue signal and nothing else? Reminder that this situation is the result of a video from a local tournament and not some nintendo sponsored event, and that nintendo doesn't want involvement in smash as an esport, even going so far as to introduce tripping in brawl to discourage competitive play as sakurai wanted the game to be a fun party fighter, not a competitive game.

There's simple remedies for these issues if you can't stand the heat, log the fuck off. What a bunch of pussies people have become, my word...

You're a real piece of shit. There is no point in even arguing with you.

I'm surprised there aren't more people calling your disgusting ass out. You are no better then those people at the other forum who were bullying that Etika kid. I thought as a community we were better then this. I'd really like to hear EviLore EviLore 's thoughts on this.

Xenon

giphy.gif

You're a real piece of shit. There is no point in even arguing with you.

I'm surprised there aren't more people calling your disgusting ass out. You are no better then those people at the other forum who were bullying that Etika kid. I thought as a community we were better then this. I'd really like to hear EviLore EviLore 's thoughts on this.
This is words come to life, instead of ignoring me or moving beyond my posts you're allowing what I'm saying to get to you and you're trying to have me reprimanded by the site owner as a result.

This is what I'm talking about, this is the problem. Not me, not people saying things that you don't like, the unwillingness for people like you to turn away from things you don't like. It's like intentionally walking into a field of sticker bushes and then bitching because you're getting stabbed by thorns.

Common sense and survival instinct = 0

Last edited:

Petrae

It drives me crazy that they don’t understand teens do crazy shit and don’t really think about it.

This teen happened to grab a bit of attention and look at this mess.

Teens do crazy things, but doing crazy things on the internet— Twitter, no less, where thousands of people (or more) can read and react to it in any manner they choose—is far worse than how it used to be. If a teen had a pity party, a meltdown, or some other attention-seeking events, theee were more isolated in terms of coverage.

Teens do not (or refuse to) understand how social media works, except when it comes to forcing engagement (likes, retweets, followers, shares, etc.); they don’t understand ramifications outside of their little bubbles. They don’t understand or think about potential long-term consequences of their actions.

As soon as you begin engaging people on social media, the responsibilities begin. It doesn’t matter whether you’re 8 or 80. You’re going to be treated the same way. Trolls are gonna troll, especially if you become a visible personality. You can try to block and/or report them, but if you’re not able to withstand that initial salvo of bullshit, it’s gonna be awful every time... and, as pointed out elsewhere, teens are not yet adults and haven’t finished their maturation processes.

Picking on 15 year-olds is shitty behavior, no doubt, especially if said behavior is coming from adults... but if this is happening online, it’s the new normal and should (sadly) be expected by any youth foolhardy enough to actively use social media. Parents should, at the very least, be having serious conversations with their children about it before granting them permission to register and use it. Parents should be actively monitoring the online activity of their children, too.

CeroFrio996

Banned
“Smash Community”? More like “Trash Community”. There’s so much weird/creepy shit that goes on within its membership. All the more reason that parents might want to keep tabs on that shit before letting their children become a part of it.

Oh that's ridiculous. There will be creepoids in any large gathering or community. Judging everyone in that community for the actions of a few is like saying all priests are dangerous, and they have a worse track record imo.

brap

Banned
Oh that's ridiculous. There will be creepoids in any large gathering or community. Judging everyone in that community for the actions of a few is like saying all priests are dangerous, and they have a worse track record imo.
At least people in other communities don't need to be told to take a shower lmao

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member

Skin so thick he had no self awareness.

RIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom