• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Sonic the Hedgehog Live-Action Film you've all been dreaming of is finally real

If this were a game, would it be more fun than Sonic Adventure 2?

No.

Christ, no. That song is one of the worst things to come out of the Sonic series in terms of music. So fucking bad.

Jesus...

Getting penetrated by an angry bear is probably more fun than playing SA2.

...Christ.

It'd be somewhere above Pokemon Black and White, but below Sonic 2006.

Nailed it.

Dragonball for furries

We got some good people with hammer skills in here.

PK Gaming

Jaleel White must be really, really broke.

or just a nice person in general? i doubt they payed him much (if anything at all).

also

image.php

It wasn't as bad as I feared it would be, that Sonic model really would of benefitted from someone looking it over properly though, I don't understand why anyone would think attempting furred quills is better than the usual simple groupings of Sonic's spikes - also the ending scene is incredibly jarring in terms of sudden main medium change.

Tansut

There's something kind of wonderfully ironic about Egoraptor lending his voice to a really bad Sonic fanfilm.

Hahaha.

It's appropriately bad, I guess.

But at least it knows it's bad(unlike most fan-made things pertaining to Sonic).

I dug the cameos by Rolfe, Walker, Brentalfloss and others.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Who's been dreaming of a Sonic movie? Whoever it is, STOP.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I've seen worse, mostly dumb kids that pretend they're Sonic and run really fast.
Sonic's mouth was really off-putting, as was his fur.

micster

So SEGA's been pulling footage of games for seemingly no reason of late, right? What sort of shelf life is this going to have, really.

I've been a fan of Sonic ever since I was a wee tyke. I grew up with the franchise and I've really enjoyed Colours, Unleashed and Generations quite recently. I thought this was terrible though. It actually made me feel pretty uncomfortable. Everything aside from the nostalgia inducing inclusion of Jaleel White was awful. Acting, modelling, script... it was just all over the place.

I miss Jaleel's voice overs for Sonic. I think it's a crying shame this is probably going to be the last time we'll hear it. Sounds like he still loves playing the character, too.

Iceblade

Takes itself way to seriously. It's like someone barfed The Dark Knight all over Sonic.

I actually think this is the direction that the series could benefit going in, at least for a one-off title. See this article written by a freelancer for IGN back in '11 titled "A Guide to Reinvigorating Sonic":

MAN VS. WILD

Maybe it's because it's been trimmed from the title, but it's easy to forget sometimes that Sonic is, in fact, a hedgehog. The original game reminded us of Sonic's mammalian nature through the simple act of burrowing. Burrowing has all but disappeared from Sonic's current repertoire (Colours notwithstanding), but SEGA would do well to flesh out this aspect of the character, because...

Sonic the Hedgehog is the story of one man's attempt to impose his will upon nature. Dr Robotnik imprisons and controls every living creature by essentially roboticising them. This could very easily be used as a mirror to examine our own society and history; our 'mastery' over nature (or ruination of it), our reckless pursuit of technology, even the enslavement of indigenous cultures. This analogy positions Sonic as a Force of Nature, an avatar of the Animal Kingdom, rising up to take back what is rightfully theirs. Strengthening this analogy transforms a mere Mascot With Attitude™ into a Genuine Rebel – an Animal Activist – fraught with intention, nobility, and motivation. Already you can see how just a minor tweak can cause a major image shift.

SCIENCE UNCHECKED

It's interesting then, when you consider that a majority of the tweaking over the past decade or so has been made to Sonic himself. Heroes are quite often situational, born out of necessity, or thrust into action by events beyond their control. When the stakes are raised, the hero inevitably rises to the occasion. What does this mean? You've seen it in Hollywood and you've seen it in comics – a superhero story is only as good as its villain. Even with Sonic as a Force of Nature, SEGA has to address the fairly evident fact that his nemesis - Dr. Robotnik - is lacking.

Perhaps if Sonic Team spent less time exaggerating his prosperous girth and moustache, and more time exaggerating the diabolical mind ticking away behind it - well, we'd have ourselves a Sonic game, sir!

Believe it or not, Robotnik holds the key to Sonic's greatness.

Up until now, this mad science villain has exercised near-saintly levels of self-control. I mean, how did he even manage to march into Green Hill Zone, incarcerate and roboticise all of its inhabitants, only to leave every last blade of grass completely unscathed? Seriously, the place is beautiful – it's got palm trees, crystal blue oceans, cascading waterfalls, rocks – what's a few killer robots in paradise? Sure, he bombed the living daylights out of Angel Island, and installed a satellite dish on Mushroom Hill, but all things considered I think his carbon footprint stacks up quite favourably to the likes of BHP and Rio Tinto.

Then again, there was Oil Ocean.

I want to see animals flee for their lives; I want to see habitats destroyed; I want to follow the trail of destruction right into the heart of Robotropolis. I want to re-experience that tangible feeling of dread in the pit of my stomach as Sonic Alone braves the saw blades and death-traps of Scrap Brain Zone. I want to be the only thing standing between Evil Genius and Planetary Destruction in the face of Overwhelming Odds. The way I see it, every boss should be a Death Egg.

All of the greatest villains have been more cerebral than brutish, and by playing up this characteristic Robotnik could join the ranks of Lex Luthor, the Joker, and Moriarty as truly worthy arch-rivals. Don't you find it interesting that he imprisons animals inside robots that in turn are built to look like animals? Does Robotnik have a God Complex? Did he simply tire of the natural order of things and decide he could do it better? It's time to set the Mad Doctor loose and let him reshape the world in his image.

wrowa

Was pretty cool. It's about time that Sonic gets his own Super Mario Bros: The Movie.

It's trash, but pretty sure that's exactly the point.

Sonic felt off, though. They make him sound fast, but he looka really slow. :S

Top Bottom