• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Star Wars Saga Rewatch Thread (Saturdays, Oct. 21 to Dec. 9)

Ristifer

Yeah, I think the opera scene is highly enjoyed by most. Feels like the one scene where the PT actually comes together 100%. Then it falls back off right after.

Yeah, I think the opera scene is highly enjoyed by most. Feels like the one scene where the PT actually comes together 100%. Then it falls back off right after.
There's also the scene where Anakin and Padme are looking off in the distance at each other and it's all sad and stuff. Those two scenes make you think for a second you're watching an actual, real movie.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I love ROTJ. I don't get the hate for it tbh. It makes me tear up every time without fail and all the Luke/Vader/Emperor scenes were perfection.

ALSO... “A sister... so you have a siiiister?” ... “Well if you won’t turn to the Dark Side, maybe she will!”

“NOOOOOOOO!!!”

Queue absolutely epic music and sweeping camera.

Probably my favorite shot in the history of cinema.

ALSO... “A sister... so you have a siiiister?” ... “Well if you won’t turn to the Dark Side, maybe she will!”

“NOOOOOOOO!!!”

Queue absolutely epic music and sweeping camera.

Probably my favorite shot in the history of cinema.

This is my favorite Star Wars scene. Especially the part where Luke and Vader are swinging at each other as they move through the shadows.

Bishop89

I'm so in. Love everything about these movies, I said EVERYTHING!

Jake-Gyllenhaal-Thats-Good.gif

This guy gets it.

All episodes are enjoyable.

Surfinn

I'd also like to add that Torn Apart is one of my favorite JW pieces of all time.

Someone I knew who isn't a big SW or even film fan saw it and said.. I was confused.. the music sounded really happy but also sad. I didn't know what to expect.

Yep that's the point. The song is literally Kylo Ren battling with the light side. It's fucking beautifully crafted.

Here is 10 hours of Across the Stars. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOm5_lAqfBE

I like this guy.

As I said in the community thread, I'm in. Probably won't be able to do Saturdays, unfortunately, so I'll watch it on Sunday or Monday night and catch up on the thread. Episode I next week. Can't wait for Jar Jar Binks.

Id love to watch with you Gaf. I think the best I can do is Plinkett reviews for the prequels. I only own the original trilogy and TFA, Rogue One is on Netflix.

Looking forward to it.

Bishop89

its currently playing ep1 on tv. almost at the 3rd lap of the pod race.

God i love this movie.

Will still rewatch again for this thread lol

fisheyes

TPM is playing on TV right now, and my god, I'd forgotten how fake it looks. Its like every second shot was greenscreened.

I'm of the opinion its the best of the prequels though, I'm keen to see if I hold this opinion afterwards.

atr0cious

I would recommend checking out the blank check podcast. They did an exhaustive 35 episodes on the prequels, where the premise is that the phantom menace trilogy is the first thing ever done about star wars in chronological order. They break down every movie by crawl, performance, the different characters and"plot" points. They come to the conclusion that the prequels were a cry for help as they talk about having absolute power and what that does to you, much like how George had total control of the films like no one has ever had before and he chose to make those movies. The best part is when they have Lucas on and he calls the originals test runs that finally get released in the 90s.

border

People like the opera scene?

"Good is a point of view......the Sith and Jedi are exactly the same...........well, clearly you're not buying that horseshit, so let me move on to a hokey story about a Sith Lord who could keep people from dying."

atr0cious

"Good is a point of view......the Sith and Jedi are exactly the same...........well, clearly you're not buying that horseshit, so let me move on to a hokey story about a Sith Lord who could keep people from dying."
The best part is Obi Wan uses the point of view line to explain why he didn't tell Luke Vader was his father. Lucas the Bard.

JB1981

He knows about his nightmares, insecurities and attachments. He exploits his weakness. Anakin is a monumentally insecure person. Thought it was a smart tactic

border

Most of Anakin's scenes with Palpatine make him look like kind of a dunce, and not just some insecure, naive guy.

When Palpatine pretty much outright says "Yep, I'm a Sith Lord" Anakin just threatens that he is going to go tell the Jedi council. The character that's been established as the most impetuous, brash and foolhardy suddenly becomes a petty tattletale, even with his lightsaber already drawn.....even though the film has already established that he has no qualms about striking down an unarmed man.

I'm in for this

But....

Instead of the prequels, I'm going to watch the Red Letter Media reviews of them. So much more enjoyable and it's practically like watching the whole movies

JB1981

Most of Anakin's scenes with Palpatine make him look like kind of a dunce, and not just some insecure, naive guy.

When Palpatine pretty much outright says "Yep, I'm a Sith Lord" Anakin just threatens that he is going to go tell the Jedi council. The character that's been established as the most impetuous, brash and foolhardy suddenly becomes a petty tattletale, even with his lightsaber already drawn.....even though the film has already established that he has no qualms about striking down an unarmed man.

He likes Palpatine, views him as a father figure, is pissed off at the Council for not making him a Master and using him a a spy and he's also intrigued by the untapped potential Palpatine promises he can offer than the Jedi can't

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
I'll watch A New Hope, but that's it.

I'm in for this

But....

Instead of the prequels, I'm going to watch the Red Letter Media reviews of them. So much more enjoyable and it's practically like watching the whole movies

Blasphemers are indeed not welcomed in this temple. Here is a link to a youtube video about completing task I hope it finds you well, now GIT!

Im probably in the minority here, but is anyone else enjoying the prequels more than Episode 7?

I liked Sith and Rouge One better than VII but it's not a bad movie.

Surfinn

Well

People can hate anything I guess

It's the only moment in the entire trilogy that focuses on mythology, and it's used in a way that explores Palp's motivations and Anakin's insecurities. At that point Anakin kinda understands that Palp isn't who he says he is.. But his desire to save Padme overcomes everything else

It's actually a pretty awesome scene that accomplishes something for its characters while expanding SW mythos

I did the whole comingsoon.net (I think that was it) line waiting thing for Episode 1 in LA and ended up seeing it 5 times in theaters. I was 20. I didn't mind it much and I really like the racing scene and Maul was a fun baddy. Rest is ... bad to fine? I was just excited about seeing SW in theaters coming off seeing the SEs in theaters. And my kids now like it and love Jar Jar.

AotC I saw once in theater and never went back to see it again. Sith I think I saw 3 times.

Rewatch sounds like a good idea.

Sounds like a good excuse to revisit the films.

I reeeally don't know if I'll muster the patience to watch Episode II though. That movie is insufferable.

Surfinn

I did the whole comingsoon.net (I think that was it) line waiting thing for Episode 1 in LA and ended up seeing it 5 times in theaters. I was 20. I didn't mind it much and I really like the racing scene and Maul was a fun baddy. Rest is ... bad to fine? I was just excited about seeing SW in theaters coming off seeing the SEs in theaters. And my kids now like it and love Jar Jar.

AotC I saw once in theater and never went back to see it again. Sith I think I saw 3 times.

Rewatch sounds like a good idea.
My brother was 13 and I was 11. We both walked out completely stunned.. Like what the fuck did we just watch

And a second viewing did not wash that foul taste away

This was before I entered middle school. I was crushed

Im probably in the minority here, but is anyone else enjoying the prequels more than Episode 7?

Rogue One and Revenge of The Sith are better than 7 to me. But like another poster said that doesn't make 7 a bad movie. I can enjoy all the Star Wars films. There are things that bug me in each film, but it's still my favorite saga ever.

Ristifer

It's probably the only coherent writing of the entire trilogy. I thought it was a pretty clever way of capturing Anakin's curiosity about the Force. Lucas still botches it tremendously, but it's at least something to hold onto. Considering the rest of the trilogy, I'm surprised Palpatine didn't lure Anakin with bath salts or some shit.

Codiox

I started early and just finished episode 1. I was one of the biggest defenders of the prequels and especially episode 1 because I grew up with them and watched it countless times, but fuck that, I can't take this anymore.

Episode 1 is bad. There I said it. It's so cringeworthy its not even funny. Cut jar jar and the Jake Lloyd out of this movie and it would be so much better.

Planned to watch episode 2 right after 1 but I'm done with star wars for today.

I never could imagine I would said that.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
For something like this, I feel like using Discord would just segment the community. Why not just use the thread?

Top Bottom