• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The state of NeoGAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hydrus

Going by this thread, it's pretty obvious none of you actually came to this place for gaming and only for all the other BS which Gaf has been hated for. Time to go back to the basics.

Heroman

Banned
I lurked this site from it's inception. Waited a year or two to get my account approved to post in 2012. By that point the forums had become infected with the disease of unfair, and unbalanced political opinions led by a select chosen few leading the dog piling against anyone with a dissenting opinion, even if that opinion was argued logically and in good faith.

These select people were responsible for the downfall of this sites reputation over the past few years. Hopefully they stay gone, make a new forum for themselves, or whatever, I don't care.

If GAF can go back to some semblance of fair and balanced moderation, I have no doubt it's reputation can be restored.

Nuking OT for the time being is a good first step. I'm on board for now.
What is this about? Like evilore not owing up to his mistake he's the reason why I GAF died not because of off topic or the community.

Will the old off topic posts be archived anywhere? Maybe a torrent could be put up of the archive?

Regardless of your opinions on how this has shaken out or the future direction of the site, there was a ton of great content in there that should ultimately belong to the posters. I'd really hate to see all of that just lost to time.

"A few people resigned, and many more quickly followed for similar reasons, citing stress and harassment."

seh6p.gif

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
It's mostly the people that ruined this site with their non stop negativity and injection of politics into everything. GAF is better off without them

I actually agree, once the dust settles I think the forum will be more enjoyable overall.

I was in the process of writing a statement that entire day to address formally address the allegation, but the community had erupted in a flash that morning. While the moderation team was trying to restore the peace, accusations and threats concerning the screenshot started shifting to them as well by association with me, and I was asked by my team to do something to fix things and get the heat off of all of them at least. I was beyond exhausted by that point, though, stretched too thin in the time since the post had first appeared and seeing unprecedented events unfold on NeoGAF. I was slow and weak. I failed to handle it quickly enough and let the team down. Before I could finish a statement and get it out there, understandably some mods hit their emotional limit, expressed concerns about the community coming after them, and decided to leave. A few people resigned, and many more quickly followed for similar reasons, citing stress and harassment. The site started breaking under load spikes leading up to the first resignations, too, and then flatlined altogether, so issuing a statement at that time on NeoGAF itself became impossible for the time being, and my attention shifted toward the moderation team's future.

So, you can back all this up right? I mean you have the communication and you can post it and have them confirm it, right?

Hell they can to, no?

The entire mod team dropped because of stress, yah, ok.

Cheebo

Banned
Those communities are the reason I visited gaf, I like the people there very much
You realize by posting here you'd be giving money via ad revenue to serial sexual assualter?

Nearly the entirely of NFL GAF already switched to the other board anyway over the weekend.

Kuga

Moderation will also see changes. Over the years, moderators changed from simply people who made sure discussion stay civil into personalities. It's because of that, many were targeted for harassment and other things. This shouldn't be happening to them. We've taken action to protect these people by making moderation anonymous. There will be no more red-names that single them out nor will there be a list of who is one.

"Let's be more transparent by removing any remaining semblance of transparency."

Nobody is buying what you're selling. Respect is earned.

*Reads OP*

*Reads replies*

*Skims through new topics being made*

Maybe I'll check back in another couple of months to see if this forum is halfway decent again.. maybe... But all of the aforementioned is awful. Everything was handled so unhealthily.

ckaneo

Evilore,

Your mod team was more than happy to throw you under the bus with no evidence or collaboration from someone else whatsoever just because of a fucking facebook post. They're currently organizing brigades against you on discord according to a couple of people I know. Do you now understand what some of us were talking about in our PMs to you that these people are rabid ideologues?

I'm a progressive that has much in common with their beliefs but not their behavior and or dogmatic identity politics. It's these dogmas that made them think it's OK to treat you like crap even though they have no evidence. Zero.

I really hope you don't make the same mistake again and you choose your mods more carefully next time.
I think this is an issue he has to address. He created a toxic leftist environment instead of the positive one he thought he was making.

The idea was alight in theory, but this level of irony was needed to shine light on the problems this sight had.

A return to videogames is welcome, I just hope we can create the more positive environment that was originally sought out.

Miggytronz

Going by this thread, it's pretty obvious none of you actually came to this place for gaming and only for all the other BS which Gaf has been hated for. Time to go back to the basics.

This. We are the community. Make it viable again people.

cyress8

Banned
Fuck off, best thing you could have done would have been to actually apologize to Ms. Leupp and us gaffers and let us know what the fuck was going on instead of shutting down the site.

border

. For a short time, Off-Topic Discussion and Off-Topic Community will be closed so that we can rediscover that. We'll be starting with a clean slate when they come back.

Wait -- what does "clean slate" mean here? Are they going to wipe those forums completely? If so, will there be an archive or something?

You’re a sexual predator, a fucking cunt of a person and you and most mods have always censored things (or simply banned users) you don’t agree with.

You deserve all the shit that is coming to you.

anothertech

Thank you for bringing Gaf back. Was worried for a minute there.

Will be nice to get back to gaming, and away from politics.

Jagsrock

Banned
IT's time for us to ban you! So long fucker. You can have your site but this community is gone.

6MDOZ.gif

PS.
You smell like dog buns.

Political and social discourse will not be allowed in the new Off-Topic. Those types of discussions greatly added to the harsh and unwelcoming atmosphere of Off-Topic, which pushed many users away.

Fucking thank you. I've probably never seen eye to eye with mods on just about any topic ever, but get rid of this shit. Please be consistent and stern here. Any and all political discourse is off limits

I really do want OT Community back though, to be honest. I've helped so many people in the programming thread, and would love to be able to continue that.

BPoole

They didn't ruin shit, Bro .Tyler did he killed gaf.

I'm not defending what EviLore allegedly did. I am saying that in my 4+ years of posting here I have seen GAF change a lot for the worse and I think leaving politics out is a good move to rebuild GAF into the great place it once was. Whether or not EviLore remains the owner is his own decision to make. I personally feel like GAF is bigger than EviLore's private life, and can still flourish if handled properly.

Slaylock

I really don't know what to make of all the accusations and counter-accusations, but it sounds like Neo-NeoGAF is exactly the site I've wanted, without all discussion of political and social issues. Sounds like heaven to me. Hopefully it will last.

Glad that usagaf won't be able to post trump news and anything else political in their country.

At least they don't call people cunts just for not liking a 3DS game lol

Anyways I don't think the site is 100% screwed, but it obviously could have been handled much better.

We came for both, shit isn't hard.

People came here because it was one of the best moderated forums out there. You could talk about anything so long as you actually brought the receipts. Now for some reason we aren't allowed to talk about anything other than approved topics.

Fucking thank you. I've probably never seen eye to eye with mods on just about any topic ever, but get rid of this shit. Please be consistent and stern here. Any and all political discourse is off limits

I really do want OT Community back though, to be honest. I've helped so many people in the programming thread, and would love to be able to continue that.

Nothing says civil and open discourse like limiting free speech.

This is sad. If Evilore is innocent you guys have just ruined someone's livelyhood/life.

Atleast wait until all the facts are out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom