• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The state of NeoGAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crosseyes

Banned
I can only hope that this place doesn't become just another gathering place for gamers where people don't want to hear and stamp out cries drawing attention to the ugliest parts of gaming.

NeoGAF once had a real moral stand that I believed in, and it brought a lot of toxicity at times but doing the right thing is often hard. Something that NeoGAF seems to not think is worth the effort anymore. For those that do stay, at least do the bare minimum https://adblockplus.org/

Heroman

Banned
Whatever mistakes Tyler has or hasn't made isn't my business. Gaf died (temporarily) because the inmates started running the asylum. If Tyler restores a fair and balanced order, I'm all for giving the site another chance. I all but quit reading and posting here because of the complete insanity that started a few years back and intensified during the election season.
Guess what last week neogaf was normal the week before that normal the week before fthat normal but when didn't you give turn this s*** when when did it die when or the service. Oh oh wait it was when evil lore f***** up.

We all have our political views, that's fine, but by doing things such as going on Twitter to pledge GAF's support of the Paris Agreement, by actively snuffing out dissent by any political/social view that skewed towards the right, you created this issue yourselves. There can be a balance, and I don't think ruling out any political discussion will teach any lessons.

I can't believe there was a thread about NeoGAF pledging to support the Paris Agreement like cmon dude its a gaming forum

Catphish

I'm just a junior member, and maybe I don't know shit, but, from my perspective, everybody just needs to breathe and calm the fuck down.

Like, Empathy 101.

We're all just people, imperfect and mistake-prone. Not a single one of us is so perfect as to have the right to condemn another.

If you need to leave, leave. If you need to stay, stay. If you need to mod, mod. Just do it in peace. There's no need to attempt to destroy the ideological opposition in the process. That accomplishes nothing useful.

Games, bitches. This shit's supposed to be fun. :p

I didn't hear about what was happening until right before it went down.
I was surprised
More surprised it's back up.

If there's a process, I hope it's something we can see and believe.
If it ends with accusations hanging in the air forever, then it may as well be over.

Not sure what to think. I know even less of the facts than what other claim to know.
I was bummed out the site left but a few days distance felt like a good break.

I've posted on this board for a long time; since before it WAS this board.
I don't end up talking to many users outside of threads. I've only met 2-3 in person and never met any mods or ownership. Never went to the IRC or followed much of the background goings on or politics.

I won't base an opinion based on what I don't know while recognizing this is the first time I was ever embarrassed to be associated with this site.

I will say the accusation doesn't fall in line with how the site has been moderated all these years. People who aren't members talk about what a mess this place is but I've been on hundred of other boards and places over the last 20+ years that seem to allow awful shit you could never get away saying here.

That's a dedicated moderator staff and they are the ones who have shaped this place over the years.

The moderators, history and credibility of this site aren't magically walking back in the door because of this statement.

I like to keep talking to people on here about things I enjoy.
I'd like even more to not feel shitty about it.

Time will tell.

Snagret

Things that got you banned on Libgaf:

I think abortion is murder because a baby in the womb has a heartbeat and it’s own DNA.
Anyone who voted democrat is worthless

Things that were praised and allowed to be posted on Libgaf:
“Fuck white people”
“If you voted republican you’re worthless and deserve to die”

I’d link the threads but apparently all evidence is wiped.

You deserve each other libtards.
Have fun, NuGAF. These are the types of people you're catering to by banning political discussions.

jrcbandit

I think this is an issue he has to address. He created a toxic leftist environment instead of the positive one he thought he was making.

The idea was alight in theory, but this level of irony was needed to shine light on the problems this sight had.

A return to videogames is welcome, I just hope we can create the more positive environment that was originally sought out.

I completely agree. OT had turned into a toxic, witch hunt environment, if you didn't agree with the hive mind, prepared to be attacked. Once the account suicides have run their course, the site should be much more pleasant again.

molotrok

I dont post much but Gaf has been my go to forum since 2008. I guess its true you dont know what you have until you lose it. Im glad Gaf fuck the haters.

Alienfan

Removing politics from video games is one of the most consumerist bullshit I've ever heard. Games are political, games are dripping in social commentary. Get over it guys

frontovik

Banned
Well, you might as well try "banning" all the critics, but the reputation of the site has been permanently tarnished.

That being said, it's only the gaming news/discussion that interests me.. rather than the politics and OT.

Going by this thread, it's pretty obvious none of you actually came to this place for gaming and only for all the other BS which Gaf has been hated for. Time to go back to the basics.
Er, if people hate fitness then I don't want to know those people

Epcott

😐

Welp... that statement was... eh...

Well Gaming side is a sexy mess, OT is obliterated, dogs and cats living together... Mass hysteria.

GG guys, see ya in the refugee camps.

Schattenjäger;252753099 said:
So you never grabbed a woman's ass in a club? I thought that's what people do when they party?

I know, right Lol
Women grabbed my ass too, what's the deal.
I don't think people can jump from "Grabbed an ass - > Sexual Predator" LOL

Giganteus

Mods right now

giphy.gif
Mod.

GavinUK86

I'm sure this will get buried under people posting shit so they can be banned but regardless of my opinion on the situation, I'm glad to have the site back and more dedication to gaming.

I think abortion is murder because a baby in the womb has a heartbeat and it’s own DNA.

“Fuck white people”

Dude, I got banned for a month once for saying 'fuck white people'

Honestly, you're full of it. And anyone who swallows what you're saying is equally as stupid. You've annihilated any goodwill you could have possibly have accrued over the years with your lies and inability to own up to your mistakes, and you clearly have shown no signs of changing.

Have fun with your fans, since they're the only ones who will give you the time of day.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Love the decision to obfuscate the fact that there are no mods. Also disappointed in you Grmph. Not leaving this horrendous man.

statham

.. that came out way wrong.

'you dipshit, if you said something like this, not that you believe it, but less drama., still FU
'"I was drunk and wrong, I hurt a girl I liked, I'm truly sorry. I let her and myself down. I need help. I will learned from this, please donot attack her, she did no wrong"
'
but instead you attack her.

joshcryer

it's ok, you're all right now
Well this is going to be a shit show for the next week.

You need to hire a PR consultant to get you through this and your going to have to address much more.

Nope, this will require a lawsuit at the minimum, a full denial is a strong statement.

slit

I don't know what really went down and I can't judge people I don't know but I always liked this community. Don't know if it'll be the same but I guess we'll see.

EvilLore...

This is the end. Pack it in man.

Just put the forums in read only mode and enable PMs so people can stay connected.

Be thankful that you aren't going to go to jail for the shit you did.

“Fuck white people”

I think you are grossly misrepresenting how normal liberal people react to topics like this, and how liberal-GAF reacted to these things.

You're also simplifying abortion to a reactionary, emotional and false representation of what actually goes into deciding on getting an abortion. I would gladly debate this with you, but not on a fucking sexual predator's website.

I do find it kind of sad that no matter what forum I saw discussion of this no one spoke positively of GAF.

I didn’t do any deep research but most spoke highly of the forum going down. GiantBomb seemed to most neutral from what little I saw and even they were kinda meh on it.

BPoole

Politics informs everything we do. Running from it just burying your head in the sand.

Right, fuck everyone that just wants to talk about gaming and other nerdy hobbies in a positive/enthusiast fashion. I forgot GAF became the most prominent gaming forum on the internet during the aughts because of it's hard line stance on left wing politics.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Well, being one of the many that "came for the gaming, stayed for the OT" it seems like the site isn't necessarily for me anymore. And that's OK.

I hope there is somewhere out there that I can find to discuss general news and political happenings that is able to maintain the respectful discourse I stuck around here so long for.

I'd like to say thanks to the moderation team (even if most are gone now and won't see this) you guys and gals did a great job making this place great. Also thanks to my fellow OT posters. I appreciate the life changing discussion I got to participate in here.

Bye for now NeoGAF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom