• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The state of NeoGAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

vonStirlitz

Unconfirmed Member
[Redacted as the member no longer wishes to be associated with this website, and the reputational damage and distress caused by association with this website. In addition, the user considers that the action of the management, and the nature of the site and members of its community, renders the original terms and conditions of this site void, and it unconscionable for either side to be bound to them. The user reasserts their IP rights in all content and does not give any authority for its continued usage on this website. Despite requesting that the user's account be deleted, in accordance with data protection rules which apply to this website over multiple jurisdictions, the admin team have failed to delete this account, requiring the user to take its own steps to ensure the valid deletion of data.]

DTU

Banned
Removing politics from video games is one of the most consumerist bullshit I've ever heard. Games are political, games are dripping in social commentary. Get over it guys

Oh sure, dude. I suppose that I missed all of the social commentary in Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle. Give me a damn break.

Glad that the gaming side is still around but not sure that gutting the OT was the right way to handle this.

I hope that the good parts of this community can survive, but I'm not exactly optimistic either.

Papacheeks

Banned
I welcome the change. The mod and culture of the OT was absolutely toxic and it bled over into the gaming forum.

I hope threads will focus on games and general entertainment and less about politically charged witch hunts.

Yea I agree. I was fine with OT thing's like movies, shows, ect.

But anything related to policy, or certain political topics always made me stay in just games which is why i come here in the first place.

I think getting back to GAF'S roots prior to NeoGaf is where it should head.

I also won't be opposed to join Shinobi's new site once it's up and running.

Yukinari

Boogie, Totalbiscuit, Jim Sterling and Colin Moriarty are 100% right about this place.

Absolutely disgusting that people are just accepting this response.

Mahadev

Ten years of an amazing community down the drain because of the act of one individual. Truly sad...

Going to miss this place.

What act? Do you have ANY proof other than a fucking facebook post? If I make a facebook post accusing you of some heinous shit you'll believe it then?

This what I'm talking about when I say toxic environment these ex-mods cultivated. This bullshit is not normal and people like you won't be missed.

Hi.

An allegation of sexual misconduct has been made against me by an ex. It's not true, the individual making the accusation isn't credible, the story doesn't reconcile logically with the facts, and there's plenty of evidence and witnesses to corroborate that. It'll be a process.
[snip]
Don't believe this guy. He's hysterical.

Cramoss

also fuck anime

EJAWa5K.gif

SRTtoZ

And I really hope you mean it when you say Mods will take a different approach this time around because its been out of control for a while now. Good moderation are people who sit behind the scenes making sure everything is running smoothly and peeking their heads in when needed. Its not for them to become mega personalities who are going page by page looking for people who tip toe past the every changing imaginary line. Fix that and this forum has a chance to really be great again.

Durden77

Above everything, I appreciate you owning up to the fact that you were slow and weak is what truly led to the mod exodus. Those people on the mod team worked hard, seemed to truly care about this community, and were seemingly much more involved with the community that had been created and fostered here than you were, for better or worse. It is very understandable that the mods would have many emotions on their shoulders regarding this especially, and as you said, because of this it is very understandable that they left, as you said.

Besides the obvious blunt concern of sexual assualt, that was my biggest concern here. Were those people, and us, that loved this place, and fought for it.

I'm not sure how I feel about some of your statement, and I am not sure if I can proceed with calling NeoGAF my home, but I'm glad you owned up in that regard. Although I feel as though it very well was too late, and while to be completely honest I've never really like you in the first place, I'm now truly conflicted if I can support this site, even though I love it so much, with you still at the helm.

If you're blaming this all on OT...

Well... Goodnight, sweet prince.

It's been a fun ride before we found out you were a monster.

Delete me if old.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Can anyone one PM me a link to the new forum? I don't want to be a part of whatever this place is turning into, but every other community I've looked at has been terrible.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Evilore,

Regardless of the allegations, I really don't think blowing up essentially half of NeoGAF, including every non-gaming-related subcommunity and discussion, is a good solution. It's not going to address any perceived "toxicity" issues in the community, it's just taking a giant sledgehammer to the community itself.

To take such a drastic measure in overhauling NeoGAF itself, as a response to a personal attack, doesn't come off as a sincere attempt to improve the community; It comes off as selfish.

I talked about politics, sports, anime, manga, one piece, dragon ball, and current events just as often as I did gaming, if not even more so. Thousands of other users had their own sub-communities and support groups that they were a part of. I think you are making a terrible mistake in dismantling all of that. I loved having a one-stop shop to discuss all my hobbies and interests that was much easier to navigate than social media. Yeah, people posted shit on youtube and in other forums about NeoGAF, but any toxicity seemed to be perfectly manageable by the community, at least, until 48 hours ago.

I will continue to use GAF as one of my gaming news sources, but I'm rather disappointed that you've decided to resolve a huge controversy surrounding you by dismantling the community, instead of changing leadership. I'll begin looking elsewhere for a community to call "home."

ApharmdX

Banned
Hi.

An allegation of sexual misconduct has been made against me by an ex. It's not true, the individual making the accusation isn't credible, the story doesn't reconcile logically with the facts, and there's plenty of evidence and witnesses to corroborate that. It'll be a process.

All allegations of this nature are serious, of course. I first got word of it on Wednesday when a screenshot of a Facebook post was handed to Voat. I immediately talked with my mod team about the contents of the screenshot and clarified that it was baseless and explained some of the details concerning my former associations with her, and tried to ensure any concerns from the team were addressed fully and transparently to everyone's satisfaction. On Thursday I heard that she had deleted the accusation from Facebook, and wasn't entirely sure how to proceed from there or how this would all play out in the public space at that point. Then, Friday morning, the screenshot made its way to NeoGAF and chaos ensued.

I was in the process of writing a statement that entire day to address formally address the allegation, but the community had erupted in a flash that morning. While the moderation team was trying to restore the peace, accusations and threats concerning the screenshot started shifting to them as well by association with me, and I was asked by my team to do something to fix things and get the heat off of all of them at least. I was beyond exhausted by that point, though, stretched too thin in the time since the post had first appeared and seeing unprecedented events unfold on NeoGAF. I was slow and weak. I failed to handle it quickly enough and let the team down. Before I could finish a statement and get it out there, understandably some mods hit their emotional limit, expressed concerns about the community coming after them, and decided to leave. A few people resigned, and many more quickly followed for similar reasons, citing stress and harassment. The site started breaking under load spikes leading up to the first resignations, too, and then flatlined altogether, so issuing a statement at that time on NeoGAF itself became impossible for the time being, and my attention shifted toward the moderation team's future.

Since that whole mess, lasting from Friday morning through Saturday, before we formally went offline for maintenance and repair and restructure, we've just been trying to figure out the best course of action for NeoGAF going forward. And as stories began being published by various outlets, I issued some comments to the press, since everything coming out was proving to be sensationalized, opportunist, and unprofessional.

We've all become increasingly stressed and weary this year in ways even I'm not accustomed to by now, and discussions on heated news, political issues, and social issues on the off-topic side of the site have become areas no one has wanted to moderate in the open for fear of backlash or just general exposure to the inevitable toxicity. I've gone in there myself to take the heat, since it's very much my responsibility to do so before anyone else's, but there's been little headway, mostly just more anger and resentment and a lot of bans. I don't think this necessarily reflects on our community; more so the tone of the entire internet this year with regards to heated issues.

That's all going to inform the way forward for NeoGAF as we refocus on what the main goals are supposed to be for the site. The mod team will talk about more specifics on what that will entail below.

One last thing. The NeoGAF mod team is here for this community; all of you. You have no obligations to respect me or believe anything I say about my personal life one way or another, but if you're going to be here and participate on NeoGAF, respect the mod team by following the rules and behaving. The team is diminished at the moment and the folks who stuck around care very much about this community and its future. Be considerate of them. That's non-negotiable.

Thanks.

A week or two ago you posted in OT that we shouldn't rush to judgment about these cases of sexual harassment and assault, that we should not take the binary approach of "supporting the victim" or "supporting the accuser". I agreed with that then, and I still do.

However.

You badly mishandled things when you were accused of sexual assault, for the second time now, by waiting three entire days after the story broke to make a statement.

And then your first public communications after the story broke was this vile attack against the victim:

The two have not spoken in years, according to Malka. He called Leupp "a deeply disturbed, malicious individual," a characterization Leupp, in an interview with me today, attributed to Malka's attempts to gaslight people over his own behavior.
Denying wrongdoing is to be expected for someone in your position. But to launch personal attacks against the woman accusing you of sexual assault is the worst possible thing to do. It's wrong, full stop.

I'd also like to add that Off-Topic made NeoGAF special. It was an unabashedly-progressive oasis in the middle of an Internet, particular with regards to the gaming www, that has become more regressive, and toxic, and less inclusive to POC, LGBT, and women. Trying to blame OT for your mistake, and the subsequent fallout, is just wrong.

The sexual assault allegation as well as your statements on the matter, here in this topic and in that Waypoint article, have made this place unbelievably radioactive as long as you are still associated with the site. I understand that this place is a revenue stream for you, but in the interest of the community, perhaps you should try to sell it off?

Man, the first few pages of this thread are like a list of the lost.

Frankly, and speaking as a lawyer here, it is not appropriate to discuss allegations while they remain hearsay and open to dispute. However, the allegations arose in a politically heated environment, and were handled badly, and have created a significant amount of rightful distaste among the community. This has travelled to the less generous parts of the web, where it is open season on the community.

Secondly, we are a community, and notwithstanding allegations (rightly or wrongly) against the owner, we have to make a distinction between the owner and the community. For example, I may dislike (to put it mildly) Trump, but I still love America and Americans.

This is GAF, it is a community, and the majority of its members and former mods were decent people having fantastic discourse. It was my go to site for news, gaming and off-topic, and provided me with many smiles, if not loud laughter, thoughts, some challenging but all nourishing, over the years.

It would be a shame to lose this, because there aren't many refuges of enlightened, collegiate, somewhat boisterous, but generally well meant debate and community left on the web. GAF was one of those, and if it passes, in the form we knew, loved, and hated, then something dies.

On a last point of warning, OT needs to be brought back, and the comments about moderating out social and political topics needs to be dropped. A good site, with good moderators, will keep things in line. That is why we came here. The minute a site says that we are incapable of addressing certain topics, and being big boys and girls about it, then that site loses its identity and purpose.

Peace. Chill everyone.

Good stuff, lawman.

And now, with that picture of a gaping butthole, I'm done for the night. I'm gonna like... go to the gym or something.

LordRaptor

Totalbiscuit, Jim Sterling and Colin Moriarty are 100% right about this place.

None of those people have been more than 50% right about anything in their lives.
If they said the sky was blue I'd still want to go look out the window and ensure for myself

You're a piece of shit, Evilore. It's really no secret that you were a shitstain on the community, everyone knew it and talked about it, but you just had to double down and ban anyone that brought up the things you've done. You could have just stepped down but you'd rather stroke your ego than care about the community.

Enjoy your safe space gamergate, It's not hard at all to see which of you are ignoring the allegations towards a sexual predator and suddenly "only care about videogames".

Go fuck yourself Evilore, I'm out of here.

Okay. Stick around here then and let this place become a cesspool of toxic masculinity, hatred for progressives, and a contempt for people of different belief systems.

Either way, I hate this response and what this place is going to turn into. I'm gone.

At least 1/3 of that was already in place so, lol. It's also pretty telling that's your view of anyone and anything that isn't left-leaning.

I'm probably not sticking around though, i don't particularly believe EvilLore and even if I did, I have yet to see if most of the people who only posted garbage hot takes are the ones that are leaving so we'll see.

FTF

Is stepping down and/or selling the site options you have or will consider? I think that needs to be done for the greater good.

Schattenjäger;252753099 said:
So you never grabbed a woman's ass in a club? I thought that's what people do when they party?

I know, right Lol
Women grabbed my ass too, what's the deal.
I don't think people can jump from "Grabbed an ass - > Sexual Predator" LOL

Schattenjäger;252753099 said:
So you never grabbed a woman's ass in a club? I thought that's what people do when they party?

Dudes, honestly, fuck both of you. That is a piece shit way to think and only serves to reinforce and encourage all the bullshit that Evilore did to lead to this fucking mess. Grabbing a stranger's ass (or even a non-stranger in some cases) unsolicited is sexual assault. Period. End of story. Shit is not complicated.

And trying to confuse it or act like it's nothing is irresponsible and just scummy as fuck.

Yukinari

None of those people have been more than 50% right about anything in their lives.
If they said the sky was blue I'd still want to go look out the window and ensure for myself

Theyre right from the bullshit posts im seeing in this very thread defending this man.

Fuck you Tyler, you small minded, small dicked buffoon. I hope that you die peniless and alone, having lost everything you worked your life on and seen every single person you ever belittled find more success and happiness than you. As you fellate your new alt-right buddies like Jontron and Pewdiepie while Colin Moriarty sticks his even smaller dick up your clogged up anus, I hope you realize that in the grand scheme of things, you're about as significant as an ant.

You're a sick man, and your body is sick, and your mind is sick. And your soul if you have one. You will see everything you ever cared about turn to dust on the wind, and then you will feel your cock explode into a pile of roaches who have decided that even they find you disgusting. Enjoy your failing forum, fuck face.

Please permaban me.

I have largely drifted away from the Gaming board in recent years. I was mostly OT, and the idea for the future of OT sounds ridiculous. It feels like restricting political and sociopolitical conversation is a way to silence uncomfortable topics that inevitably come back to the leadership of the forum.

Please permaban me. I'll at least do you the courtesy of not making a troll thread.

joshcryer

it's ok, you're all right now
I would have taken the $10m.

ROFL

True.

100% guarantee there will be a ton of hypocrites who come back here in the next few months.

Heh, all the people burning their accounts are alt-righters. They'll continue creating new accounts or burning ones they created before. The leftists here don't know what the fuck to believe and outside of a small clique don't know what to do,

I personally didn't expect a total denial. I thought it would be an apology post or something. This goes from drunken misunderstanding to libel. So a lawsuit is the only solution now.

If you truly care about the community you've fostered here for a decade, it's time to give up ownership of the site. Sorry man, but I can't participate here in good conscience anymore.

OT was life, ban me you sociopathic dipshit.

I ran a fairly popular site and forum 10+ years ago. I got dozens of men and women into E3 over those years without any expectation of anything. I just wanted our team there. When the forum community went in a direction I didn't like, vapid consumerism, I handed it over to someone else and walked away. I eventually ended up on NeoGAF because I liked the spirit of the place.

I don't know how this place can recover under current circumstances. It's been a major time sink of mine for years, the main community I've belonged to online, even if I didn't connect with many people. I'm going to have a major hole to fill not being here.

You could have handled this a whole lot better.

Goodbye NeoGAF, even though I barely knew most of you.

Just leave already you big ol drama queen!!

Thank you for bringing this site back. I am looking forward to the new changes, both temporary and permanent. I owe NeoGAF and its leadership the benefit of the doubt. I have been a part of this community for 10 years and I don't intend to abandon it anytime soon. I had just made my ten year anniversary thread in August. The love I have for this place is strong.

I cannot wait to keep talking video games with you all. If the site is looking for additional moderation I would be happy to help. If not, I am happy to simply contribute meaningful discussion with fellow gamers who are just as passionate as I am about this wonderful hobby of ours.

Tuck

Don't really know what to think. Seeing GAF the way it was a few days ago - a site I've spent so much time at the past ten years - was really sad.

Ultimately I'll follow the community. GAF was special because of the discussions, but also because of the people.

Vixdean

I mean, this whole story seemed overblown even if you took every word of the accuser at face value. Chick gets totally blasted with a dude in a hotel room, gets naked in the shower, his similarly drunk ass follows her in, and then leaves when she rejects his "advance". Add in the credibility questions and this whole thing seems like a massive overreaction to a relatively innocuous non-criminal act.

On the other hand, nuking Off-Topic seems pretty lame and unnecessary.

Alienfan

Oh sure, dude. I suppose that I missed all of the social commentary in Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle. Give me a damn break.

So you're saying everyone that designed Mario Rabbids was a soulless husk, with no political leanings or opinions that may have influenced the design of the game? Politics is apart of art

I'm somewhat glad to see the site back, and I do think that this situation warranted further investigation before everything totally imploded.

That said, I'm not sure how this place ever returns to the way it was under the current management. Guilty or not, the shift in perception has been alarming and drastic. I don't know if this site will ever be looked upon with respect again.

EviLore: I'm really curious how seriously you've considered passing GAF off to a new owner or selling it if/when another offer comes along. While I think the site could still succeed with you at it's helm, there's something to be said for knowing when to pass the torch and step away.

Dudes, honestly, fuck both of you. That is a piece shit way to think and only serves to reinforce and encourage all the bullshit that Evilore did to lead to this fucking mess. Grabbing a stranger's ass (or even a non-stranger in some cases) unsolicited is sexual assault. Period. End of story. Shit is not complicated.

And trying to confuse it or act like it's nothing is irresponsible and just scummy as fuck.

I don't know why it's so hard for you fuckboys to understand this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom