• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The State Of PlayStation

Is Sony's Messaging right now good or bad?

• yes

• no

• good

• bad

Results are only viewable after voting.

ksdixon

jT0AlUX.png

Can we at least get a timestamp?

Wasted 20min on that podcast with two narcissist telling me, what they´re about to play or that they´re verified twitch streamers or ...

Sony needs to be more vocal, that´s for sure. They have been silent for like 4 years now. They need a PR-mascot to combat Phil Spencer´s never ending "rhetoric".
Thank you for starting to take the time to listen without timestamps available previously. :)

ksdixon

Jim Ryan stinks as a public speaker. They should really find someone in their employ that they can consistently put in front of a camera who is good at dealing with the media. Tretton was real good.
All together now... "Kev-in But-ler!" clap, clap,clap-clap-clap!

Damn, I miss that ad campaign.

Yoboman

Jim Ryan stinks as a public speaker. They should really find someone in their employ that they can consistently put in front of a camera who is good at dealing with the media. Tretton was real good.
Yawn

All I heard for years was how shit Trenton was. And the same for Layden. Same for Kaz

Daymos

I really don't care for Sony's image right now. Maybe I'll feel better about things once elden ring, final fantasy 16, and ff7 remake 2 are out.. assuming they are all awesome and not total crap. I just don't like sonys first party stuff that much.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
For my taste they too much focus on western games, I got in to Playstation for their Japanese titles, not their western ones.

Bryank75

Banned
For my taste they too much focus on western games, I got in to Playstation for their Japanese titles, not their western ones.

You would think with the rising popularity of Manga and Anime, that they would see the connection and invest more in Japanese studios.

FFXIV is really taking off.

Ni No Kuni mobile just blew up too.

There are several studios that make sense for them to add to first party and get synergies going with Aniplex and their other assets in Anime.

Kadokawa is a no-brainer to get control of.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I slowly grew out of Japan output. But we got a lot of great games and team asobi is expanding.
I’m opposite, I’m slowly losing interest in western games and my love for Japanese games is growing stronger.

I recently finished AI: The Somnium Files and absolutely LOVED it.

Jaxcellent

I can see what they are trying to do here, its smart business wise, but it Kinda suck for the fans, new is getting slow this way. at least we don't have to wait so long anymore between reveal and release.

Well for one thing we don't expect the guy running the show to shit over the legacy of your older games. Talk about counter-productive. Then after backlash have his "apology" basically not be one, but instead amount to "I won't say anything next time", rather than something that would imply he was actually sorry or had a BC solution. I find it disgusting that the guy running PS had to say "I want gamers to know I don't have old games" (paraphrasing). Such a situation should never be a thing in the first place.

sorry but im really strugging to give a shit about any of that. i genuinely dont care about BC. i have too big a backlog already to replay completed games. you sound like an old man yelling at the clouds. nobody cares.

sendit

We know the games are coming. However, that previous State of Play was bad. They need a massive presentation that will generate hype (Not just one game). While the PS5 is a fantastic console, they're just running off the goodwill and momentum generated from the PS4.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I love there messaging, said god of war 2 would be out this year and still not even a trailer.
The funniest thing about their gow trailer is that Ragnorak is not even the title of the game. So no gameplay footage, no inengine trailers, no cg, no screenshots, and now we cant even say they revealed the game with just a title because they didnt even do that!

So literally the only thing they showed in that trailer was the release date, 2021 which we now know is a date they were never going to make. That trailer perfectly encapsulates the current state of Sony's marketing, lies and messaging. Just incredible.

Yoboman

Oh yeah before he was a memegod who saved PS3 and then Sony he was the boring riiidge racer guy who wasn't fit to replace Krazy Ken

All the same shit as gets said about Ryan: "dry", "arrogant", "bad communicator", "awkward", "seems like he doesn't play games".

Its like an endless circle and this shit gets redone every time Sony gets a new person in charge

Tschumi

Look...

Xbox markets a (selectively truthful) image as the customer friendly alternative, and are being (commendably) creative in trying to overhaul Sony's lead in a generation.

Sony just keeps doing what it's done for nigh on 3 decades now: making and selling the best games they can make for the best console they can offer at, recently, the best price (a pretty good price vs either Nintendo or xbox it seems)

Xbox fans are forced to think that the Xbox way is the single way that is valid and acceptable from a customer standpoint. Just like they're forced to think Bethesda is the leading video game development company in the industry right now.

This practice of applying one set of values to competing groups never works, and always breeds argument.

Both sides should live and let live: Xbox fans should be satisfied that they're working damn hard to get back in the game; ps fans should be satisfied that they remain undeniably at the top of numerous binary measures between the two. This is all good for gaming.

-----

On topic: i mentioned this earlier, but i think you're being exercised by a difference in values and priorities; you're not picking out glaring errors. PS are a firm hand at the wheel, you just don't currently have that particular wheel squarely in your mental crosshairs. PS bank on quality and consistency, they think they have a contract with their numerous and loyal fans to justify the high costs and rolling support for systems. I don't expect they think they have to work to make everything cheaper and quicker.

Last edited:

Shifty1897

We're at previously unseen levels of Sony hubris, where they are literally skipping E3 and Gamescom and when everyone asks why we don't have a release date for any of their upcoming first party games, their response is "Fuck you, here's 9 minutes of Deathloop."

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
We're at previously unseen levels of Sony hubris
There is a part of me that wonders when Sony will let their arrogance shine through again and screw up like they did with the PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Vita. Heck, you could argue that it has already happened with the PlayStation 4 and the godawful battery life on the controllers, but consumers have mostly given them a pass over it.

PS5 Pros:
- compelling first party game lineup
- exclusives (probably timed, but still)
- launch/launch window games look to be a *little* more interesting
- specs still are incredible, if not QUITE as high as the XBox (particularly on the SSD)

Top Bottom