• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The State of PSN - Gamasutra Interview at GDC

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
gofreak said:
They should really encourage other big third party publishers to invest in small original projects for PSN, or take on board indies in the same way they do. Where are originals from Sega, EA, Ubisoft, Activision, Capcom (well..they actually do have some!)..etc. etc.?

EA is branching out a new division to do just that. Other companies have dabbled slightly in the marketplaces (Prince of Persia marketplace and such) but none are willing (aside from Capcom and now EA) to dedicate teams on making marketplace games for PSN/XBLA.

I have no idea why. Maybe they're waiting on the userbases to grow. It really doesn't make any sense to me.

Raistlin

xblarcade said:
The best marketing Sony has been able to do around PSN is lump every downloadable title into one service. Really there should be three categories: Full Downloadable games, Small Downloadable games, and Previous Generation re-releases. When you look at it that way, the competition looks a lot more clear:

Large Games: Sony (MS isn't doing shit in this category)
Small Games: MS (Not saying Sony doesn't have some great titles, but it's not even close)
Last Gen(s): Not sure (What titles has Sony released)

Was about to post something very similar, as far as break down of titles ... and who's 'winning'.

Bebpo

Banned
This guy being interviewed sounds like a douche and one of the reason's why the US/UK PSN stores suck so fucking bad.

xblarcade

gofreak said:
They should really encourage other big third party publishers to invest in small original projects for PSN, or take on board indies in the same way they do. Where are originals from Sega, EA, Ubisoft, Activision, Capcom (well..they actually do have some!)..etc. etc.?

The big third parties are working on XBLA titles

Sega - Happy Tree Friends:False Alarm
EA - Boom Boom Rocket, Wing Commander
Ubisoft - Warworld
Activision - Vigilante 8
Capcom - Too many to list
Vivendi - Even more than Capcom
THQ - Elements of Destruction (and many more)

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Bebpo said:
This guy being interviewed sounds like a douche and one of the reason's why the US/UK PSN stores suck so fucking bad.

Indeed, Jon Hight reminds me of XBLA Era Greg Cannessa, the XBLA Types hated it when Cannessa talked about "quality over quantity" and "not flood gating the XBLA marketplace"

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
xblarcade said:
The big third parties are working on XBLA titles

Sega - Happy Tree Friends:False Alarm
EA - Boom Boom Rocket, Wing Commander
Ubisoft - Warworld
Activision - Vigilante 8
Capcom - Too many to list
Vivendi - Even more than Capcom
THQ - Elements of Destruction (and many more)

Most of those aren't internal studios though, like Boom Boom Rocket.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Tell this fool to put Bust A Groove 1 on the PSN and I'll break my no credit card rule for online gaming purchases.

This just in...John Hight is a douche.

I don't care what the platform is...I just wanna play excellent games.

I download a game weekly on XBL.

On PSN? Not so much...not even close actually. it's like they found a box of retarded monkeys at a flea market and put them in charge of PSN.

" As far as the retarded monkeys are concerned, we've beaten Microsoft in every category that we wanted to beat them in regarding PSN and XBL...that and eating our own shit."

Agent Icebeezy said:
Tell this fool to put Bust A Groove 1 on the PSN and I'll break my no credit card rule for online gaming purchases.

Noooo...then I'd have to tell my wife how to use the PS3.

With that said, I actually have the Bust a Groove song on my iPod right now.

vangace

I initially liked the Live interface but lately its starting to look cluttered. They need to rework the whole live interface.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
This topic isn't at all about XBLA; please take that somewhere else. Don't derail this into PSN vs XBLA.

There's no excuse to not be upping the PS1 classic catalog in the same manner as the JPN store. PSN has been quite successful in raising the bar for what people view as the potential for downloadable games on consoles; in that I salute them, but many like myself were expecting a much more dedicated stream of PS1/2 games.

Shinblade

Banned
John Hight said:
When we release, we release worldwide...

Yeah... right.... I've been enjoying Pain and Puzzle Fighter on the UK PS Store since the USA got them... It was so nice of you to release them worldwide.

What I love most about these threads is that people seem to think that putting games on the PSN is just as easy as "oh, yea, let's toss that up *drinks coffee*.

Or that Sony somehow see's completely finished games and then discards them. It's quite possible they see a pitch for a game, realize it sucks, and then they shoot it down. Who knows.

What I do know, is that most of you, me included, certainly don't know jack about the process, or how it works, and you're only being petty little gamers wanting your bottle put back in your mouth.

I mean, isn't it about time we all grew up and stopped demanding we be hand fed every day of our lives? Is it really that serious that someone miss a week and we not get a downloadble game? I'm still content playing my retail purchases and getting in games of PJN in between when I'm bored.

I certainly don't see what the huge issue is...maybe I'm just not 'hardcore' enough (though I certainly bet I own more games on PS3 / PSN than the majority of GAF, as well as on my 360).

jeremy_ricci said:
What I love most about these threads is that people seem to think that putting games on the PSN is just as easy as "oh, yea, let's toss that up *drinks coffee*.

Or that Sony somehow see's completely finished games and then discards them. It's quite possible they see a pitch for a game, realize it sucks, and then they shoot it down. Who knows.

What I do know, is that most of you, me included, certainly don't know jack about the process, or how it works, and you're only being petty little gamers wanting your bottle put back in your mouth.

I mean, isn't it about time we all grew up and stopped demanding we be hand fed every day of our lives? Is it really that serious that someone miss a week and we not get a downloadble game? I'm still content playing my retail purchases and getting in games of PJN in between when I'm bored.

I certainly don't see what the huge issue is...maybe I'm just not 'hardcore' enough (though I certainly bet I own more games on PS3 / PSN than the majority of GAF, as well as on my 360).

Take heart. We had literally the same exact conversations about XBLA at one point.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Shinblade said:
Yeah... right.... I've been enjoying Pain and Puzzle Fighter on the UK PS Store since the USA got them... It was so nice of you to release them worldwide.

Not to mention Dark Mist for the west in general.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
chubigans said:
That my point still stands on big companies getting into smaller games? That's how I view it anyways.

I don't see it that way, though some of the companies mention have done internal work on the XBLA, but, let us take Boom Boom Rocket for example. Yes Bizzare Creations did the dev work on said title but the game was always EA's game, Bizzare was just the work for hire.

tanod

when is my burrito
Shinblade said:

Read further into the interview. Apparently, that is the "goal" going forward.

BenjaminBirdie said:
Take heart. We had literally the same exact conversations about XBLA at one point.

I just find it amusing how folks seem to think these companies are sitting treasure chests full of completed games, somehow laughing at us.

Or how they say someone is a douche bag, just because they are openly positive about their employer (yenno, like anyone would be in a PR position). It's not like Toshiba came out and said "yea, yenno, Blu-Ray is really cool, I wish we could be like them!" or Microsoft going "Man, that PS2 sure is swell, we're really playing catch up with our Xbox, it's really fun too, but not as cool as PS2 it seems".

I mean seriously, these people do their jobs and GAF get's in these little hissy fits and goes nuts over it, assuming that everything is 'just that easy'. It's almost borderline depressing to know this is the state of the 'hardcore' gaming community.

jeremy_ricci said:
I just find it amusing how folks seem to think these companies are sitting treasure chests full of completed games, somehow laughing at us.

Or how they say someone is a douche bag, just because they are openly positive about their employer (yenno, like anyone would be in a PR position). It's not like Toshiba came out and said "yea, yenno, Blu-Ray is really cool, I wish we could be like them!" or Microsoft going "Man, that PS2 sure is swell, we're really playing catch up with our Xbox, it's really fun too, but not as cool as PS2 it seems".

I mean seriously, these people do their jobs and GAF get's in these little hissy fits and goes nuts over it, assuming that everything is 'just that easy'. It's almost borderline depressing to know this is the state of the 'hardcore' gaming community.

Yep. Same exact one.

Elhandro

It wasn't until XBLA core audience started to bitch about the quality and quantity of released games a few years ago that things change.

Which is why threads like this is so important. Sony needs to hear sony fans, rant about the quality of their network. And from this interview, it seems like the enthusiast media hasn't gotten the point either. Ive seen a few threads on how fun pixel junk is and other PSN titles but I would really like to play a demo before i buy something, and Im sure most agree.

We bitch a lot about the Draconian decisions MS makes and how they are holding next gen back but all and all, I play a new game every week, for better or for worse. I have never played so many games in my life, and I'm supposed to be an adult:D .

We need to stop being Console Apologist and get back to just being gamers. Why does it matter what console they are on, just that we get to play them and they are fun.

xblarcade

jeremy_ricci said:

it's not that anyone expects them to say: "yeah PSN is crappy cause we don't have enough games". It's when they start talking about their faults as if they were something to be praised for that people get "Pissy"

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
jeremy_ricci said:

Well, as somebody who follows the console downloadable scene very closely I do understand that games don't magically fall out of the sky or anything. However, I am seeing, or rather not seeing, things that make the PSN Situation much better. That thing is content announcements, to drag the XBLA back into this, hardly a day goes by where I am not seeing a new game announced, in one way or another, for future release on that service. Also, WiiWare has had a bunch of new games announced, though that may have been out of necessity. That really hasn't happened with the PSN, I think there have been at most five newly announced games, and that is being generous. The future of the PSN can not be secured when even the idea of future content does not exist.

tanod said:
Read further into the interview. Apparently, that is the "goal" going forward.

For anyone that has ever worked for any sort of large corporation; they'll know just how funny the "goal going forward..." statement is...

And I don't think Sony is sitting on a treasure trove of games to toss up on PSN and laughing at us. I think they're sweating bullets in their boardrooms right now because they know they fucked up the PSN layout and they're now scrambling to revamp it into something functional.

The thing that gets me the most. A completely baffling release schedule for demos of their arcade games.

The fact that I can go to XBL and play a demo for any of the arcade titles and I can't for all of the games on PSN is a significant detractor for me.

Dunlop

Onix said:
Why?

I think the quality of the better titles far exceeds most of the Live titles.

How about some examples?

I think I prefer the ability to choose my titles based on community feedback, not just what would get filtered by MS/Sony?Nintendo. At least LIVE and PSN has some excellent titles that have at least been "enhanced" to improve the gaming experience (usually)

Yet when I play SMB3 on my Wii and have to stare at the far right of the screen blinking due to overscan, this is "true emulation"..what a joke

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
jeremy_ricci said:
How prevalent do you really think people like that are in these threads? You've got the man who's basically in charge of PSN game releases saying that they deliberately restrict themselves in terms of what they will release, that's a more clear and present issue than the assumptions of a few misguided forum-goers. There's ample bandwidth out there to secure more titles for PSN at a faster pace than Hight and crew are allowing.

Now, just to be clear, I want to distance myself from some of the "Hight is a douche" kind of talk that's started to popup. I don't mind the approach Hight wants to take per se, I just don't like that it's allowed to be the singular approach for PSN games, because it's an obvious bottleneck. The way he's trying to nurture indie game development is admirable but is naturally on a longer curve for returns. Somebody else needs to fill in the gaps while he gives his 'students' all semester to finish their school projects.

Raistlin

Dunlop said:
How about some examples?

Some of the larger games, like Warhawk, Socom, Wipeout?

That is the area PSN wins. For smaller titles (and rereleases) while the quality has generally been quite good ... they can't compete in numbers.

xblarcade

Dunlop said:
How about some examples?

I think I prefer the ability to choose my titles based on community feedback, not just what would get filtered by MS/Sony?Nintendo. At least LIVE and PSN has some excellent titles that have at least been "enhanced" to improve the gaming experience (usually)

Yet when I play SMB3 on my Wii and have to stare at the far right of the screen blinking due to overscan, this is "true emulation"..what a joke

I prefer to play the demo and decide for myself :D

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
Shard said:
Well, as somebody who follows the console downloadable scene very closely I do understand that games don't magically fall out of the sky or anything. However, I am seeing, or rather not seeing, things that make the PSN Situation much better. That thing is content announcements, to drag the XBLA back into this, hardly a day goes by where I am not seeing a new game announced, in one way or another, for future release on that service. Also, WiiWare has had a bunch of new games announced, though that may have been out of necessity. That really hasn't happened with the PSN, I think there have been at most five newly announced games, and that is being generous. The future of the PSN can not be secured when even the idea of future content does not exist.
Well unlike other services PSN games come out of the blue. There is a lot content out there. And when you have games like WipeoutHD, GT5:prologue, and Socom coming out for PSN, you can't ask for too many of those announced until big events.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Onix said:
Some of the larger games, like Warhawk, Socom, Wipeout?

That is the area PSN wins. For smaller titles (and rereleases) while the quality has generally been quite good ... they can't compete in numbers.

Well, I would dispute this actually. Warhawk was only half PSN, since it got a Blu-Ray release as well. As far as SOCOM and Wipeout HD, I really wish PSN Types would stop misusing these games seeng as how they are not out on the PS Store yet.

Also, I think the quality of the smaller PSN titles is also exaggerated, a few stand-out above a slew of mediocre releases.

Dante

Keep the quality vs. quantity thing on original PSN titles. Dump every POS PSOne game and PS2 game on the network and let us sort it out :)

Dunlop

xblarcade said:
I prefer to play the demo and decide for myself :D

lol, I meant that also :D

I finally cleaned up my 360 after having it set to download all demo's (for my son)..never do that, it will take you an hour to find a game you actually want to play after

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
PistolGrip said:
Well unlike other services PSN games come out of the blue. There is a lot content out there. And when you have games like WipeoutHD, GT5:prologue, and Socom coming out for PSN, you can't ask for too many of those announced until big events.

I can't tell if this is supposed to be a joke or not.

watership

xblarcade said:
Large Games: Sony (MS isn't doing shit in this category)
Small Games: MS (Not saying Sony doesn't have some great titles, but it's not even close)
Last Gen(s): Not sure (What titles has Sony released)

Large games for download is something MS hasn't even talked about i think. I would love MS to open up a valve like service on Xbox Live, but because they still support the arcade unit, it's not likely.

Small games is where the 360 rules... obviously. Last gen Xbox is really doing well so far. They need to keep pushing out the Xbox originals, especially ones that are hard to find on shelves.

Gowans

Sony really needs to raise there game, they have a few quality titles but XBLA is outpacing it more and more each week in both quality and quantity.

I have 60+ XBLA titles (6 were silly purchases)
and 5 PSN titles

and an even greater ratio when it comes to DLC.

Some things PSN needs to do

- Demos for every game so I can see if I do want to buy them
- Clearer Store (coming)
- Ability to turn a demo into a full game (This weeks game will be first to do this)
- All Content Releases Worldwide instead of these massive region delays.
- More online aspects to the games
- Required Leaderboards and Friends Leaderboards

tanod

when is my burrito
Gowans007 said:
Ability to turn a demo into a full game (This weeks game will be first to do this)

That's not true. Capcom's PR was very very wrong on that one.

jarrod

Banned
chubigans said:
That my point still stands on big companies getting into smaller games? That's how I view it anyways.
There's been some effort from the larger and mid size publishers in Japan... just not on PSN largely...

Namco
-Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection (PSN)
-Pac-Man Championship Edition (XBLA)
-Mojibpittan (WW)
-Mr. Driller Online (XBLA)

Square Enix
-Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King (WW)

Hudson
-Bomberman (WW)
-Joy Sound (WW)
-Star Soldier R (WW)

Taito
-Exit (XBLA)

...there's also been some encouraging effort from smaller 3rd party devs and pubs though, especially on XBLA (Q Entertainment, Treasure, Warashi, Triangle Service, Natsume, etc) though there's a few promising dedicated devs on PSN (Game Republic, Q-Games) and WiiWare (Mitchell) too.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Shard said:
Warhawk was only half PSN, since it got a Blu-Ray release as well.
What kind of BS distinction is that? :lol The full game is downloadable on PSN, full stop. And additional content for the game is only available for the game through the PSN so if anything it's a half BD release, with a full PSN release.

As far as SOCOM and Wipeout HD, I really wish PSN Types would stop misusing these games seeng as how they are not out on the PS Store yet.
The games are in development and are certainly not vaporware and you're one of the people talking about not enough in the pipeline, so how is it that what's in the pipeline suddenly gets rendered irrelevant?

Raistlin

bigdaddygamebot said:
SOCOM and Wipeout are out?

Are you posting from the future? If so, nice.

I'd say Wipeout is pretty much a given to play well since its using redesigned tracks from previous titles (and so does Socom to some extent).

Regardless, I agree ... we don't know how the titles will turn out. What I was trying to argue was the production values, size, etc. of some of these PSN titles. There really isn't anything comparable to it on Live.

BTW - Almost forgot Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection

Top Bottom