• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The state of the next-gen video game console (warning: cnet butthurt blog)

Arde5643

ds0gt said:
why don't you guys agree ?
Do you really think 360 and wii will still have momentum after 09?

sajj316 said:
I tend to agree with your figures. You have every right to make your predictions as GAF does on a monthly basis with console sale figures. See in GAF, its easy to do a quick jab at you with a silly pic or one liners dismissing your opinion.

Alt poster?

At this point, I think this account was created just to make fun of sajj316.

@sajj316:
FYI, living in denial is not a positive trait for people.

Sadist

ds0gt said:
Sit down please. Please. Are you seated? Are you ready? Well, the thing is:

Do you honestly think that Nintendo and Microsoft won't be active at that time then? Meaning, will they stop developing games for the systems? Nope. There will be new hits from those two competing with your favourite Sony hits. Will MS and Nintendo stop producing consoles? No.

[Nintex]

ds0gt said:
since nobody agrees with me I have to ask
what are your thoughts on the future of the 3 consoles?
"Competitive gap is widening ... more like Grand Canyon than Silicon Valley

The battle for number two is still undecided but it's moot"

dacuk

ds0gt said:

You are assuming MS and Ninty won't have anything to release on those years.

That is a way un-educated opinion.

Just imagine when Nintendo lowers Wii price to $150 or less, and MS lowers Premium X360 price to $225

ds0gt said:

I think the Wii will be at or near the final LTD sales of either of the HD consoles by the end of next year.

The 360 and PS3 will cross 50 million apiece around the same time, which will coincidentally be the same time Nintendo crosses 100 million.

ds0gt said:
I. Agree with what it states but not the numbers
yes the ps3 will overtake the 360 next year
why?- because 360 has nothing left to do after 08 besides gow3 and maybe halo 4
while he ps3 has established Many franchises that still need sequels like
uncharted
Ratchet and clank future
resistance 3
warhawk 2
and any new game they make on the coming years , plus it ha bluray which of course will. Be more popular in the coming years.

The wii numbers in my opinion are exagerated the wii has nothing left after 08 and ni tendo will probably announce wii2 in 09 or 2010
and the wii is already technolagically obsolete so it'll be e en MRE obsolete in the next couple of years.
My 2012 figures worldwide
ps3- 95 million
360- 50 million
wi- 65 million ( the majority in 09 and 08

Are you forgetting that Sony last year projected to sell 11 million PS3 units worldwide in fiscal 07, and this year they projected to sell 10 million PS3 units worldwide in fiscal 08? That number in case you didn't notice is going down, not up. So where is this surge in sales going to come from if Sony themselves aren't even planning for it?

sajj316

Arde5643 said:
Alt poster?

At this point, I think this account was created just to make fun of sajj316.

@sajj316:
FYI, living in denial is not a positive trait for people.

Who's denying, I'm just making a prediction. What am I denying ... that the Wii is doing well. Check my posts. I never said that the Wii is NOT doing well. Its a matter of how long it will do well. Likewise, the PS3 is doing mediocre. I've stated in my posts that 2 factors will drive PS3 sales. (1) Price (2) HD adoption with BR ... not HDTV sales ... BR.

The last time I check, a prediction does not have to be based on facts. I'm just standing up for the dude and his prediction.

pr0cs

You guys aren't seriously trying to reason with this are you?

ds0gt said:
do like it in the a**?
because if you do , the xbox 360 is just for you!!
everywhere i go i here about how awesome the 360 is so i decided to buy one.
349- system
60- halo 3
90- wifi adapter
20- ms points
50- xbox live
=$570

2 months later its worth nothing, RROD. as soon as i get this back from M-soft im giving this to my little brother so he could play halo 3 with all the other little kids.

thank god for that stimulus package i bought a ps3 for 545 and got two games
399-system
60-uncharted
60- gta 4
0- wifi
25- gift card to use on psn
0-online

I'm scared for humanity.

[Nintex]

sajj316 said:
Who's denying, I'm just making a prediction. What am I denying ... that the Wii is doing well. Check my posts. I never said that the Wii is NOT doing well. Its a matter of how long it will do well. Likewise, the PS3 is doing mediocre. I've stated in my posts that 2 factors will drive PS3 sales. (1) Price (2) HD adoption with BR ... not HDTV sales ... BR.

The last time I check, a prediction does not have to be based on facts. I'm just standing up for the dude and his prediction.
That prediction is insane, you guys should join Ioi and his happy bullshit numbers club.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
sajj316 said:

So you completely ignore what I can only describe as childish reasoning because it's a dude making a prediction? Come on.

ds0gt said:
Unless Ninty's software output somehow stalls, the Wii's success will probably continue unabated well into 2010.
Unless the software output somehow stalls, the X360's success will increase as the price drops further and continue to sell in larger numbers well into 2010.
Unless Sony sees bigger mainstream exclusives from outside of their own stable of developers, their success is going to be somewhat limited by whatever success the X360 increases by.

Basically...

Wii has their own swingset.

X360 and PS3 share a see-saw with MS being the significantly heavier and stronger of the two right now and the foreseeable future.

GameGamer

ds0gt said:

That's what was being said last year. 'Xbox has nothing in 08. 08 is Sony's year, etc.'

But Xbox has great stuff this year and I'll guess they will always have something good each year.

For me Sony has Little Big Planet and that's it.

I'm more interested the the Netflix set top box than blu-ray, etc.

ds0gt

Banned
im not saying nothing will be released, they just won't release any other halo's or smash bros,
come on the 360 was released almost 3years ago and I don't see any new titles on the horizon.

And yea heavenly sword was awesome.

GameGamer

ds0gt said:
im not saying nothing will be released, they just won't release any other halo's or smash bros,
come on the 360 was released almost 3years ago and I don't see any new titles on the horizon.

I liked Heavenly Sword as well.

The rest of what you just said is not serious.

Sadist

ds0gt said:

You can see into the future? Impressive.

sajj316

Ysiadmihi said:
So you completely ignore what I can only describe as childish reasoning because it's a dude making a prediction? Come on.

So analyst reports are childish reasoning? His numbers aren't that far off ... in fact its more realistic than ones that CNET is reporting on. I'm not about to pay $$$ to read that report but its just a damn prediction. The thread title is right ... 'cnet butthurt blog'. Let the guy predict all he wants. If he's still on GAF, pull up this thread and make him feel like an idiot then.

ds0gt said:

The Wii has been a monster long before it had Smash Bros. It will continue to be a monster after.

Guled

ds0gt said:

It looks like they are adopting Nintendo's strategy's of keeping most games secret until a couple of months before its ready. Just because next years line up isn't public news, dose not mean that they have nothing. Also, Heavenly sword is awesome :D

[Nintex]

ds0gt said:

Ninja Gaiden 2
Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts
Fable 2
Halo Wars
Gears of War 2
and Too Human for shits and giggles

Not to mention Resident Evil 5!

Nintendo has formed the Zelda team to work on new games and I'm sure they have something planned for E3. As its stands now each console has great software, I'm looking forward to MGS4 and Ninja Gaiden 2 while I'm finishing my Smash Bros. Brawl trophy collection.

ds0gt

Banned
as absurd as my opinion may seem to you it is still very possible, in the world of sales a lot of shit can happen, systems selling only 180k while their brand new game sells millions,
a "game" that has you weigh yourself possibly outselling every gamethis year.
shit happens deal with it. We don't know what will happen but we are all entitled to our opinions.

And to the guy posting my amazon review , its a true story .

Innotech

Banned
ds0gt said:

I think you are overlooking a very important factor. The weapons nintendo has are not catering just to hardcore like the other two consoles are concentrating on. This basically means with the demographic the wii attracts has a much greater chance to grow. Nintendo has more software that is a potential system seller. the hardcore will definitely buy more software for MS/Sony, but Nintendo will continue to sell systems because it has designed a console that appeals to a far wider demographic, and can cater to more demographics in general due to its design.

Not everyone is into Nintendo franchises like Mario and Zelda, but for those people there are new titles and new experiences like wii fit and balance board third party games, unique sports games like the wii version of PES 08, and games making good use of the wii controls like Trauma center and Boom Blox to name a few. these arent blockbuster games, but put them all together and it is a very strong argument for purchasing the wii and peripherals.

Also, have you watched TV lately? have you not seen the news shows talking about wii, the tournaments and gameshows, hell even the Wii gum? It is a legitimate phenomenon and to suggest its going to just slow down is pretty stupid. the Ps3 has games like Killzone 2, Resistance 2, GT5, Ratchet, motorstorm 2, LBP, uncharted 2 coming which is fine, but these also cater to the same demographics current Ps3 software does. The possibility of growth is far less than the wii, where any good new software has potential to attract new people because of accessibility. This isnt just fanboy banter its whats happening, and to deny it is to show you arent very familiar with videogame history.

ds0gt said:
uncharted
Ratchet and clank future
resistance 3
warhawk 2
and any new game they make on the coming years , plus it ha bluray which of course will. Be more popular in the coming years.

The wii numbers in my opinion are exagerated the wii has nothing left after 08 and ni tendo will probably announce wii2 in 09 or 2010
and the wii is already technolagically obsolete so it'll be e en MRE obsolete in the next couple of years.
ps3- 95 million
360- 50 million
I like you, you funny little guy..

here, have a nice picture:
cuddle_3.jpg

pswii60

Hang on, every year we get the same graph but with a different "this year" figure to what was projected. Last year we got this graph but with PS3 thrashing out 360 in 2008 and levelling out with Wii. But now it's been adjusted because that obviously still isn't happening.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
ds0gt said:

Holy sweet mother of Jesus you did not just say that, this combined with your utterly wrong assertion that Wii will be irrelevant by 2009 (Hint, the mass market doesn't care for tech wars) just shows how markedly insane you are, or just delusional, or a SCE worker.
sajj316 said:
1: Price didn't save the Gamecube, it isn't a factor in the UK (360 is cheaper than Wii, that hasn't stopped Wii from trampling 360 week after week), and PS3 still hasn't a huge margin to play with yet, SCE can't really afford to price cut for a while yet, not in the US anyway.
2:the transition from DVD to BR will not be like that of VHS to DVD, it will be more gradual, and by the time BR becomes as mainstream as DVD became thanks in part to PS2, standalone players will be far cheaper than PS3, destroying any advantage BR gives the console sales wise.
:lol: No, but if it isn't its known as a GUESS, predictions are generally based off research and yes, actual facts.

Fritz

sajj316 said:
Who's denying, I'm just making a prediction. What am I denying ... that the Wii is doing well. Check my posts. I never said that the Wii is NOT doing well. Its a matter of how long it will do well. Likewise, the PS3 is doing mediocre.

that's cute.

It's amazing. Three years ago, these same analysts predicted "status quo"--basically no change from last gen. All they were capable of doing was to say "things won't change much", despite the fact that every console transition has seen significant change.

Now that we're in the middle of a generation--where very little change has ever historically occurred, they predict a massive turnaround.

They sound (and I hate to use this word) fanboyish.

Well, at least they're to the point of a virtual PS3/Wii tie. Maybe the next step will be to actually move beyond denial.

Rad Agast

sajj316 said:

Are you using astrology to come up with your predictions then?

alterno69

Banned
I don't see why the PS3 couldn't reach those numbers by 2012, by 2010-11 it should be cheap as hell, just look at the PS2 right now.

Anyway whatever we say today is worthless since it's impossible to really know what's gonna happen.

Zilch

Banned
What year did the PS2 hit 100 million? Early 2007? I don't see how the PS3 could hit that within 4 years with the slow start (compared to PS2) it has had.

edit: my bad, it was late 2005 when the PS2 hit that milestone

Predictions don't have to be based on facts, no, but ones that aren't tend to be ridiculed or ignored. I could hold out a baseball and predict that when I let it go, it will be flung off the planet by 'centrifugal force' rather than falling to the ground due to gravity. I mean, sooner or later the outward force created by the planet spinning has got to overcome this silly 'gravity', right? The planet's spinning at, like, 900 miles per hour!

But if I did predict that, I wouldn't expect much agreement.

...except, maybe, by these analysts. :D

Link

The Autumn Wind
sajj316 said:
Yes, everyone is. My wife is, thus me purchasing one. My point is that it can't maintain a 700,00 sale range. It can only go down.
I recall people saying this last year when it was only selling half as much.

ds0gt said:
uncharted
Ratchet and clank future
resistance 3
warhawk 2

ps3- 95 million
360- 50 million
Here's a wakeup call for you: sequels don't do jack shit for sales, especially sequels that already have entries on the console in question. Do you think people that didn't bother the first time around are suddenly going to be interested? The games that sell consoles are the fresh, new experiences that come out of nowhere and sell on a consistent basis for the rest of the console's lifespan.

The rest of your argument is just stupid, because you're pretty much saying that because we don't know of the games coming out after this year, that means nothing is coming.

alterno69 said:
I don't see why the PS3 couldn't reach those numbers by 2012, by 2010-11 it should be cheap as hell, just look at the PS2 right now.

Anyway whatever we say today is worthless since it's impossible to really know what's gonna happen.
The PS3 is not the PS2, and it never will be. The sooner people accept this, the better.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
ds0gt said:

You realize right after brawl we got MK and Wii Fit, two comparable blockbusters, with Wii Music and AC Wii supposedly coming later in the year

Clinton514

I love how the game media who so adamantly condemns 'fanboyism', dabbles in the shit every so often.

I'm not sure about that chart but I do personally feel the race is ultimately between Nintendo and Sony in the long.

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
Clinton514 said:
I'm not sure about that chart but I do personally feel the race is ultimately between Nintendo and Sony in the long.

I think the only race we'll see will be between Sony and Microsoft, and it will be for second place. To be honest, the Wii numbers that this guy gives seem fair; he's got it at about what Nintendo expects for the year, as I noted earlier, and then generously has it selling even more next year. It's the PS3 numbers (and the 360 numbers) that are truly odd. What is it that's going to suddenly make the PS3 so interesting? Where are these massive numbers of people going to come from so that an industry that sold 160 millionish consoles last gen will suddenly sell 250 million+ this gen? You can say that it's from people buying multiple consoles, but what will attract people to PS3 over 360?

Like I mentioned, this guy just seems to be caught up still in the "PlayStation must win" mindset that dominated thinking about this generation when it started. By now, it just seems foolish.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Bigmac573 said:
Doesn't seem too far off - Blu-Ray will definitely help console sales following the HDTV boom that will occur in Feb '09 when analog signals die out.

Not going to happen.

When the analog signals die out:

A) Anyone with cable (or an SDTV with a digital tuner, like me) is completely unaffected.

B) You can buy a converter box for your old tv that costs less than 100 bucks, as opposed to buying a new TV for 500-600 bucks at the VERY least.

C) The U.S. government is sending out vouchers for 40 bucks off the already cheaper converter boxes.

Deku

Banned
You know what's so great about these is that the authors are almost always never called to account.

Here's a projection for NA market share released in January 2007. Post PS3/Wii launch but apparently, SFG didn't have the proper market intelligence so they just fell inline with the fanboy consesus of the day. Might as well have blind monkeys do projections for us instead of paying a pretty penny for these studies.

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4498&Itemid=2

The cumulative NORTH AMERICAN sales for each platform are as follows:

Xbox 360
2006: 6.0m
2007: 12.7m
2008: 19.5m
2009: 24.9m
2010: 29.4m

PlayStation 3
2006: 0.5m
2007: 7.6m
2008: 13.8m