• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Steam Deck is still 'on track' for February launch, Valve says

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Production shortages and shipping delays continue to play havoc with the tech industry, but here's a spot of good news: Valve is optimistic that the Steam Deck won't need another delay past its intended launch in February.

"We do feel like we're on track for that," Valve designer Greg Coomer said in an interview with PC Gamer on Thursday. "We're still bummed that we had to move from end of this year to beginning of next. But yeah, all the signs are pointing to us being able to ship in February."

When Valve first opened up pre-orders for the Steam Deck, the shipping estimates quickly shifted from the launch window to many months later, a symptom of the supply chain issues hardware companies are facing. With that in mind I asked Coomer what kind of numbers Valve will actually be able to ship in February.

"It's a real product launch, so many thousands of people right away are going to receive Decks as soon as we're able to ship them," Coomer said. "But even talking about thousands would be quite low compared to the volumes we're shooting for in the first few months."

Valve hasn't disclosed how many Steam Deck pre-orders it's gotten, but Coomer pointed out that the Steam Deck's launch is different than many other hardware launches, where companies need to supply thousands of retail stores. For now the Deck is only being sold through Steam.

"We're going to have a launch that looks like a significant number of users right out of the gate, and then build that over time, rather than having the biggest splash on day one and then generally declining after that," he said. "If you extend the timeline out through 2022 and all the way to 2023, we expect to be building on our numbers constantly throughout that whole time, to the point where there's many millions of customers if things go the way we think they will, who are using Steam Deck by the end of that year or so, through 2023."

The bottleneck for Valve isn't production of the Steam Deck itself, but rather getting all the parts needed for the system. I asked if Coomer could explain the kinds of shortages hardware makers have had to deal with over the last two years, and he said that with the shortages in mind the Steam Deck team identified about 50 components that were "high risk"—potentially difficult to get in the quantities they'd need. Members of the team have been devoted to ensuring they have commitments from manufacturing partners and that those parts will actually show up in time.

"The primary reason we had to move from the end of this year to the beginning of next, is a couple of those parts were really hard to get on time," Coomer said. "They ended up being late. It really came down to just a couple. They're in the category of like, microchip type ICs that are hard to get from multiple sources, and when lots of people are clamoring for those parts—just like cars have had those shortages with specific integrated circuits—we were in a similar situation. We almost got to the point where it was smooth sailing out of all those 50 things, but it wasn't quite the case. So it came down to that."

Kupfer

When we pre-ordered, my friend and I had an estimated delivery date of December 21. After the initial delay, we both had Q1 22 release and now, without another email, my friend's deck date has been pushed back to Q2 22. Mine is still the Q1 22.

So better check and be prepared for a longer wait.

Kuranghi

I still have mine preordered, if I don't want it when it finally cooms I'm just gonna resell it. I wonder if it will be scalped heavily :pie_thinking:

Fredrik

Can’t wait to get this thing!

No cranky words from me even though my order has slipped to Q2. I can relate to their struggles, been working in the electronics industry for 20 years and never experienced anything like what’s happening right now, it’s brutal. Valve have money but they’re small in hardware and the giants are swallowing everything at the moment. Can’t find anything at the usual prices right now.

chixdiggit

New Update says it is still on track for February!

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Does anyone know if I can cancel my 256GB order and get the higher one without losing a place in line?
You will definitely lose your place in line if you you just go through the website. Best bet would be to reach out to customer service and ask directly.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
it looks like we'll be able to start getting these out the door by the end of February

Initially I felt a little bit tricked by the headline, but that's because I forgot they were only going to start shipping in the end of December. A 2-month delay was always going to mean they'd start shipping in the end of February.

:messenger_persevering:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
It’s difficult to see this thing being successful. The idea of a dedicated handheld gaming system seems outdated.
It's not solely dedicated to being a handheld though. It can hook up to a monitor or TV too, similar to the Switch. I do agree that I don't think this will be a smash hit along the lines of the Switch, but there definitely is a market for devices like this.

Spacefish

It’s difficult to see this thing being successful. The idea of a dedicated handheld gaming system seems outdated.
The idea of any dedicated gaming system is outdated, portable is the only hardware format that has some justification for existing since you cant just build that shit yourself.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
the only thing thats piqued my interest, is ppl that say the exploration was cool and that the opening new pathways mechanic is weaved into the open world. That sounds good. But other than that idc. I kinda liked Dark souls. I really like demons souls remaster. Can't tolerate that frame pacing mess of bloodborne. And lets be honest, these idiots that can't shutup about souls games in every thread every week for the last decade put u off of the series altogether. As if the souls series invented any of these mechanics and they didn't already exist long before. i dont get why these games get succed off so hard
I have no idea how I ended up in this thread.

Meant to post that reply here:

Top Bottom