• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Steam Winter Sale kicks off today

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
just got AC odyssey

Enjoy, this is a fantastic game that I've sunk over 100 hours into. An excellent RPG and easily the best Assassin's Creed game yet.

I am torn between Disco and DQ 11.

I was full blown ready for DQ11 but didn't know there is some content difference between Switch and PC/PS4. Wondering if they are going to release a new version of it down the line.

mango drank

I've had the Homeworld prequel on my wishlist for years. It always goes down to $10 on sale, but I haven't bought it in all this time, haha. Anyone have strong feelings on it either way?

Malakhov

Banned
Great ff9 is 40% off, I want to play it with the moguri mod which is only compatible with the steam version!

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
tekken 7
cod infinity warfare
fallout 4
mortal kombat komplete kollection.

got 3 of em on cdkeys
and 1 on hrk

lol steam sale.. oh well

amigastar

I've had the Homeworld prequel on my wishlist for years. It always goes down to $10 on sale, but I haven't bought it in all this time, haha. Anyone have strong feelings on it either way?

Thx for bringing the game up. I just bought it. Hope it's good. 80 % cheaper is a nice offer.

Last edited:

I refunded it. Beautiful game but it felt like a glorified wave shooter. You might enjoy skirmish though. Plus, it's full of that "strong capable woman"-rhetoric, which might be a turnoff if you care about that kind of stuff.

Last edited:

Shifty1897

Yeah, I don't feel compelled to pick anything on here up, I still have Doom, AC: Oddysey, Astral Chain, and Star Ocean to beat, but instead I'm spending my vacation week playing Civ 6 for 12 hours a day.

Epic is giving out $10 coupons as well, so it's more like $39.79.
They're giving out $10 coupons every time you use up your old coupon. By comparison, it's kind of ridiculous how Valve makes you jump through hoops just to get a $5 one. I certainly wouldn't give a shit that Epic doesn't have a cart for checkout if they take off $10 each individual purchase. That said the only things I'm planning to buy from any winter sale are the Destiny 2 expansions which are Steam exclusive anyway.

badblue

They're giving out $10 coupons every time you use up your old coupon. By comparison, it's kind of ridiculous how Valve makes you jump through hoops just to get a $5 one. I certainly wouldn't give a shit that Epic doesn't have a cart for checkout if they take off $10 each individual purchase. That said the only things I'm planning to buy from any winter sale are the Destiny 2 expansions which are Steam exclusive anyway.

That extra $10 off makes picking up RDR2 on the Epic store reallly tempting. $38 on Epic vs $64 on Steam.

Last edited:

Cravis

Yeah I think I have everything I want on Steam. GOG on the hand I spent a crap load on. I did not realize they had so many games that are not available on steam. Went there to buy Blade Runner, left with a shit ton of new games I’ll probably never get around to playing 😂

Murr

Hmmm had 60 bucks from refunding RDR2 in my steam wallet. I think i waste them mostly on tf2 crates. have an eye on druidstone. I don't really know if it is good or not, but i have it on my wishlist for quite while so will probably bite.
Over all not very impressed.

Pantz

Step 1 - Fill your cart like crazy.
Step 2 - Prune your cart, remove games you don't think you will play between now and the next sale, remove games that you feel like you could hold out for a better discount on.
Step 3 - Purchase your completely reasonable cart full.
Step 4 - Return the next day and purchase far more than was in your original crazy cart.
Step 5 - Never play any of them.

Got these:

Hope I can stop on Step 3, I already purchased plenty of games this year.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
After they removed daily sales and I have to rely on my wishlist (which I barely used) I went from spending several hundreds during the sales to sometimes just straight out buying nothing.

The store doesn't tell me about interesting games anymore, so I never have a reason to buy anything.

Which can be both good and bad, depending on the view.

Fun fact if people missed it. If you add funds to your wallet first you get coins right away. All it takes if 500 to get 5 bucks off a game. So you can get 5 bucks off your first game if you do the wallet funds first.

That extra $10 off makes picking up RDR2 on the Epic store reallly tempting. $38 on Epic vs $64 on Steam.
Control for $30 and Metro Exodus for $10 are tempting but I already have a huge backlog. Most of the stuff that I wanted to get from Steam I already got from GOG's Thanksgiving sale. I'm kinda debating getting MHW in time for Iceborne to hit but 1 grind game is more than enough for me,

Holammer

What is the consensus on Blasphemous? Just another metroidvania ?

I literally just finished it minutes ago, It's not a bad game, but it wants to be the Dark Souls of Metroidvania, so it'll try to constantly kill you with the cheapest tricks imaginable all the time and it therefore flows like a river of bloody bricks. Backtracking is brutal and even tokens for increased stats and such require a trip and turn in at certain NPCs, exacerbating the problem further.
I will probably give it a negative user review later, but if you still wanna give it a try, grab it on Humble Choice Basic. That way you get Blasphemous and two more games for 13,99€.

sol_bad

I still have 550+ games on my wishlist, guess I'll chip away at it with cheap titles. And I'll get Fallen Order.

CramBokaj

Neo Member
Give these guys some love! 21 percent reduced during winter sale. Indie developers who are actually listening to their community!

Do we not even get a free $5 off coupon for first time use like the summer sale?

Or do I have to get coins and purchase one with the seasonal currency first?

Was thinking of picking up Children of Morta.

GHG

i have $90 to spent and this time, i want nothing but RPGs

GAF i need you on this one, list me the things i need to buy

Get outward:

Only a couple of hours in so far but it's fantastic, an RPG in the truest sense.

You can get it for $6 on the Epic store if you don't mind shopping there.

Last edited:
Do we not even get a free $5 off coupon for first time use like the summer sale?

Or do I have to get coins and purchase one with the seasonal currency first?

Was thinking of picking up Children of Morta.
No free coupon. You can do those quests for a few coins but I doubt there'll be enough to get even half of what's required for the coupon.

GHG

Steam sales aren't the same anymore, that's for sure.

I have £8 in my steam wallet and I'm struggling to decide what to put it towards. There's no obvious choice because most games can be had for cheaper elsewhere.

Sorry Valve but you're slipping.

Caffeine

the sales used to be insane and yes they are slipping each year. we used to get 80% off entire franchise bundles now we getting 20% off on single product.

then they want u to spend $50 to get a $5 off coupon ok lol. what do I buy when I already have 1070 games. the games that I had interest in didnt even get discounted.

Last edited:
bWoKsKB.jpg

For 5€ why the hell not

petran79

Banned
Time to cover some lost ground:

Nier Automata, Hitman 2 with legacy dlc, Sekiro, Dark Souls 2+3+dlc, God Eater 3, Total War with all dlc (Rome 2,napoleon,shogun,empire,warhammer 2, Attila, British Isles) , Command and Conquer Collection, Romance of Three Kingdoms XI, Dragon Quest 11, Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen, Witcher 3 Wild Hunt, , Rainbow Six Siege +dlc, For Honor +dlc, Hunter Call of the Wild +dlc, Two Point Hospital +dlc, Cities Skylines +dlc, Transport Fever 2, Jurassic World Evolution +dlc, Rocket League, Sonic Team Racing, Garfield Kart 1&2,Prey +dlc, SNK 40th Anniversary, Bleed 2, Pang Adventures, Gun gun Pixies, Omega Labyrinth Life Deluxe, Evenicle, Ditzy Demons Are in Love, Treasure Hunter Claire, President Yukino, Melty's Quest, Unholy collection (dlsite)

Currently in my cart:

Orwell
Everspace
Where Water Tastes Like Wine (I'm not an American so I have no idea if this will be relevant to me or not, hence I may actually skip this)
Apotheon
Slain: Back from Hell
Darksiders: Warmastered Edition

Any other cheap gems you would recommend?

Stitch

Gold Member
Pretty lame that we can only get one coupon. Didn't really buy much because the sale sucks (I also already own 3K+ games lmao help):

COMPOUND, Clash of Chefs VR, The Solus Project, Onechanbara Z2: Chaos, SG/ZH: School Girl/Zombie Hunter

Grinchy

Banned
I haven't really bothered with Steam sales in a while. I don't remember feeling like the store sucked this much to navigate in the past.

Just like with PSN sales, it's like you basically just have to go to reddit where someone has curated a list that a human can digest.

Last edited:

Jooxed

Gold Member
Finally pulled the trigger on Monster Hunter World because I have been enjoying Dauntless. I have no idea what I am doing.

Top Bottom