• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Super Stardust HD Thread (my eyes burn from the amazing!)

andrewfee said:
I think I'm about 130M or so, but I just don't find it fun to keep playing past that point. (a level or two in after it loops)

I was really hoping the new patch would let you start on the harder modes rather than having to go through them all first. (at least if you get to them once it should unlock them)

Endless mode is what you need to play.

Hey guys, i just bought this. I haven't really followed this game too closely until now. Quick questions:

1. Is there any kind of online coop/versus?
2. Was the 4.00 patch pulled when they pulled the 2.4 patch?

kairu

I bought SSHD last night to test out trophies. Its pretty awesome. It has the 4.0 patch already applied in the most recent download.

kairu said:
I bought SSHD last night to test out trophies. Its pretty awesome. It has the 4.0 patch already applied in the most recent download.

Hmm, curious. I just bought it a few minutes ago and it is version 3.0 and i can't get it to update. I even tried redownloading it. They don't even have the multiplayer addon in the store any more. I am guessing 4.0 was pulled.

test_account

XP-39C²
monkspider said:
Hey guys, i just bought this. I haven't really followed this game too closely until now. Quick questions:

1. Is there any kind of online coop/versus?
2. Was the 4.00 patch pulled when they pulled the 2.4 patch?
1. Unfortunately not :( That would make the game so much better in my opinion if there were. There is however offline coop. There is also a multiplayer expansion pack comming soon (i think it was released when the PS3 2.40 firmware was out, but then pulled back when the 2.40 firmware was pulled back as well) that will add split-screen coop and maybe some versus mode (i'm not 100% sure about this one). This expansion pak is also for offline play, it doesnt have online play unfortunately :\ Hopefully it will come though :)

2. It seems like it. Hopefully the 4.00 patch will be up and running soon :)

macewank said:
any ideas what the hell would cause my sound not to work with this specific game?
No sound at all? Do you use a reciever with the PS3/TV?

zoukka

macewank said:
any ideas what the hell would cause my sound not to work with this specific game?

My amplifier tells me it uses DTS so maybe that's the problem? (not likely)

Awesome game, but suffers from Lumines syndrome. Score shmups should be challenging from the start and not force you to play through all the levels and then start seriously playing. Damn shame.

zoukka said:
My amplifier tells me it uses DTS so maybe that's the problem? (not likely)

Awesome game, but suffers from Lumines syndrome. Score shmups should be challenging from the start and not force you to play through all the levels and then start seriously playing. Damn shame.

Again. Endless mode. This mode goes from 0 to crazy in no time.

AmMortal

Banned
What the hell is this!

I played my ass off to finish the first planet, and when I do, it doesn't give me my DAMN TROPHY

Grrr!

Tntnnbltn

AmMortal said:
I downloaded the demo and upgraded to the full version. I never got a notification of any patch.
4.00 patch was taken down along with firmware 2.40. You've probably got the trophy-less version.

Raist

Banned
test_account said:
1. Unfortunately not :( That would make the game so much better in my opinion if there were. [...] This expansion pak is also for offline play, it doesnt have online play unfortunately :\ Hopefully it will come though :)

Yes, it would be a blast. But honestly, I don't think we will ever see it. P2P online, as shown by Calling all Cars for instance, relies on users connections and distance between them. And I don't see Housemarque (or Sony) put dedicated servers up for a PSN game that sold ~100k copies. This game is NOT lag friendly at all. Even the smallest amount of occasionnal lag would completely kill the game.

boco77

Banned
whats this orchestral soundtrack i keep hearing about. Is it the same tunes but all orchestral arrangements? The music to this game is absolutely fantastic. How do I get the orchestral soundtrack in game? Team pack? But I cant see it anywhere? (UK)

Raist said:
Yes, it would be a blast. But honestly, I don't think we will ever see it. P2P online, as shown by Calling all Cars for instance, relies on users connections and distance between them. And I don't see Housemarque (or Sony) put dedicated servers up for a PSN game that sold ~100k copies. This game is NOT lag friendly at all. Even the smallest amount of occasionnal lag would completely kill the game.

I talked about this with Housemarque when I was at their studio a while back and online is not going to happen and for the exact reasons you state...it's not got a market for it considering the amount of effort it would take to make online happen and it's the kind of game where the tinies amount of lag fucks thing sup so...not possible.

The next game however (not golf)...

macewank

test_account said:
1. Unfortunately not :( That would make the game so much better in my opinion if there were. There is however offline coop. There is also a multiplayer expansion pack comming soon (i think it was released when the PS3 2.40 firmware was out, but then pulled back when the 2.40 firmware was pulled back as well) that will add split-screen coop and maybe some versus mode (i'm not 100% sure about this one). This expansion pak is also for offline play, it doesnt have online play unfortunately :\ Hopefully it will come though :)

newp.. hdmi straight from the PS3 to my TV .. i'll check around with my sound settings but it worked fine up until the other day. (worked fine the day i downloaded 4.0/2.4, next day no sound)

Raist

Banned
RiotPelaaja said:
I talked about this with Housemarque when I was at their studio a while back and online is not going to happen and for the exact reasons you state...it's not got a market for it considering the amount of effort it would take to make online happen and it's the kind of game where the tinies amount of lag fucks thing sup so...not possible.

Well, nice to see a confirmation, even if it's indirect :p IIRC they've never officially stated that it wouldn't happen, but I never thought it would anyway.

the next game however (not golf)...

Teh beanz, spill 'em :O

AndresON777

shooting blanks
test_account said:

I thought so because I've been slaving to match some of my friends trophies(got it last night)and i swear i'm doing the same crap but i'm not getting them...oh well it's still a kick ass game, and i hated geometry wars. At least the game supports custom soundtracks which makes it so much better, especially with the great ps3 audio.

---they need to put the trophies back in dammit i'm getting left behind by some other buds.

zoku88

I wish you could start games at higher difficulties. I can go through normal without dying at all most of the time, but i get annihilated in hard and (wtv the thing above hard is.)

elseanio

Anyone have tips on gaining bombs in Bomber mode? Trying to get "Late Boomer" trophy

Also, in endless, do the nukes pop on their own, or do you have to do something to trigger them?

X

x2y

Unconfirmed Member
Been trying to get late Boomer for the last 2 days the most I've gotten is 12.

it's hard as hell same with survive 7 mins.

lupin23rd

This is probably a generic trophy question but since only SSHD has trophies I'll ask it here...

I have all but 3 trophies (two silver and 1 gold) and yet I'm only at 69%... did my percentage get buggered up somehow or is that correct based on values of the trophy types?

Steroyd

PirateSean said:
Anyone have tips on gaining bombs in Bomber mode? Trying to get "Late Boomer" trophy

Also, in endless, do the nukes pop on their own, or do you have to do something to trigger them?

Try and wait for 2 cargo ships to meet each other so you can gain 3 bombs in one bomb blast, another one is those red spikey mine things try and lure them near the cargo ship and when they meet an asteroid and blow up they blow up the ship without you using any bombs at all.

The nukes pop up every so often, you have to go round looking for them, they usually pop up when a alot of enemies appear.

test_account

XP-39C²
Raist said:
Ye, i doubt we will see online play in SSDHD either, mostly due to potential lag issues as you mentioned. Its not a lag friendly game as you said. Its a pity though, i really want online play on this game :(

macewank said:
newp.. hdmi straight from the PS3 to my TV .. i'll check around with my sound settings but it worked fine up until the other day. (worked fine the day i downloaded 4.0/2.4, next day no sound)
Ah ok. I think SSDHD has some DTS sound support (correct me if i'm wrong though), so i thought maybe the DTS sound was on in the game and that it was a possibility that you had connected your PS3/TV through a receiver that didnt support DTS sound, but if you had sound before and suddently it didnt work, then i have no idea what the problem can be, sorry :\ Hopefully its just some settings you need to change to get the sound back, i hope you get the sound to work again :)

S. L.

my eyes are burning from the amazing!
finally managed to beat the second loop, and with about 20 lives left to boot.
but i went trough like 15 of them on the ice planet in the third loop ;_;
at least i got a 200mil+ score out of it

mollipen

Two questions:

1: Is there anything other than dumb luck that determines what type of item you'll get from the bonus item asteroids?

2: The boss on the first planet, Lave - I've noticed that sometimes he'll start off with 3/4 to 1/2 of his normal lifebar. Is there something I'm doing differently at those times that causes this? Is this trick (whatever it is) also relevant for the other bosses?

decon

x2y said:
Been trying to get late Boomer for the last 2 days the most I've gotten is 12.

it's hard as hell same with survive 7 mins.
The survive 7 mins is pretty easy. After you shoot the first nuke down, the next wave of stuff comes at you. Here you want the wave that spawns those small red homing things, and a spiral wall. Now you just have you to fly around the planet for 7 min without shooting down all the red homing enemies. The next spawn wave will first show up when all the red homing enemies are dead.

test_account

XP-39C²
ChrisGoldstein said:
I thought so because I've been slaving to match some of my friends trophies(got it last night)and i swear i'm doing the same crap but i'm not getting them...oh well it's still a kick ass game, and i hated geometry wars. At least the game supports custom soundtracks which makes it so much better, especially with the great ps3 audio.

---they need to put the trophies back in dammit i'm getting left behind by some other buds.
You can check if you have version 4.00 by clicking on the triangle button while you have Super Stardust HD selected (do not start the game). Then you get up a menu where you can choose to delete the game etc. Choose "information" (or something like that) from this menu. Then you will get different information about the game. On this list you will see which version of the game you have installed. Maybe you already know this, but i'm just mentioning it anyway :) Hopefully they will put the patch of version 4.00 back up soon :)

Do you have PS3 firmware 2.40 by the way? I think you need this as well to be able to get trophies in Super Stardust HD, not just the patch of version 4.00. I guess you have PS3 firmware 2.40 installed though, but i'm just mentioning it anyway :)

shidoshi said:
Two questions:

1: Is there anything other than dumb luck that determines what type of item you'll get from the bonus item asteroids?

2: The boss on the first planet, Lave - I've noticed that sometimes he'll start off with 3/4 to 1/2 of his normal lifebar. Is there something I'm doing differently at those times that causes this? Is this trick (whatever it is) also relevant for the other bosses?
1. Not that i've know of atleast. I've been playing Super Stardust HD including the Solo expansion pak for a total of maybe 150 hours and i havnt seen any "system" (or what i shall say) that shows you what items the bonus asteroids contains. Well, the only thing i know is that if you first start to play at planet Lave (maybe it goes for other planets too if you first start to play at them, i dont think so, but i havnt really thought that much about it) some of the first bonus astroids will contain weapons, shield or extra life. I'm also under the impression that the more of these first astroids on planet Lave that you shoot in a quicker amount of time the more weapons etc. item you will get, but i'm not sure if that is just something i "feel" (or what i shall say) or if it that is actually how the game is.

2. I havnt payed attention to this either, but is it if you play the same mode? Maybe the boss has less life if you play it on i.e Arcade with the easy difficulty level instead of on Arcade with the normal difficulty level? I dont know, sorry :\

roxya

I want to buy the solo expansion, but I see it says Lave has remixed music. Problem is, the Lave tune is currently one of my favourite pieces of game music ever.

If I buy it, can I choose to keep the old music? How much is changed in the remix?

Christopher

I'm using Smash Brothers Brawl as the custom soundtrack to this:

I use all of Metroid/Fox/Falcon's music ...works really really really well.

ugh can't get the multiplier trophy!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I can't get the 45 seconds achievement to work (45 seconds in survival mode w/o shooting or using bombs) even though I've gotten 50+; maybe you can't boost either? Weird. Also when I click on my name the achievements don't show up even though it says I have them in the game. Strange.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
AstroLad said:
I can't get the 45 seconds achievement to work (45 seconds in survival mode w/o shooting or using bombs) even though I've gotten 50+. Weird. Also when I click on my name the achievements don't show up even though it says I have them in the game. Strange.
You have to quit the game and then click your name to sync the trophies.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
chubigans said:
You have to quit the game and then click your name to sync the trophies.

Click on my name in my Friends list? Weird b/c I got the trophy yesterday and clicked today but still not synced. I'm sure it will work itself out.

robochimp

AstroLad said:
Click on my name in my Friends list? Weird b/c I got the trophy yesterday and clicked today but still not synced. I'm sure it will work itself out.

You click on the Trophies icon in the game column in the XMB to get it to sync

Top Bottom