• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Super Stardust HD Thread (my eyes burn from the amazing!)

tha_con

Banned
Man, this game has been the single greatest joy I've experienced (post expansion).

I loved it before, but now I can't get enough of it, and the retro soundtrack is awesome.

Anyone have any suggestions for custom tunes? I've just been jamming out to DJ Shadow lately.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
tha_con said:
Anyone have any suggestions for custom tunes? I've just been jamming out to DJ Shadow lately.
Justice - Cross
M.I.A. - Kala (Paper Planes especially)
Chromeo - Fancy Footworks (Tenderoni especially)
Midnight Juggernouts - Dystopia (Into the Galaxy especially)

All go really well with the game.

ChryZ

My current custom soundtrack rotation:

R-172457-1165730088.jpg

R-203187-1181215722.jpg

R-3947-1185502081.jpg

mollipen

I'm really late to this game - just bought it yesterday. My high score in the main arcade mode was like 3.7 million (which I know is tiny, but hey, I was just starting), then I started getting the hang of a few things, and also figured out the "countdown" asteroid. Just got done playing and ended up around 10.7 million.

This is one of those games where I have no clue how I did what I did after I did it. *laughs* I know things will only get more insane from here, but man, things are just utter chaos at times. Shit flying everywhere, those stupid robotic worm things are chasing after me, and somehow I'd dodging everything and staying alive. Awesome.

My one hesitation is after Pac-man CE, I'm much more into the "short burst" games. I wish there were like 5-minute and 10-minute modes where you see what score you can get in that time period. (Is there such a thing? Maybe I just haven't found it yet.)

Raist

Banned
shidoshi said:
My one hesitation is after Pac-man CE, I'm much more into the "short burst" games. I wish there were like 5-minute and 10-minute modes where you see what score you can get in that time period. (Is there such a thing? Maybe I just haven't found it yet.)

Buy the SP add-on. Now.

ckeur

shidoshi said:
I'm really late to this game - just bought it yesterday. My high score in the main arcade mode was like 3.7 million (which I know is tiny, but hey, I was just starting), then I started getting the hang of a few things, and also figured out the "countdown" asteroid. Just got done playing and ended up around 10.7 million.

This is one of those games where I have no clue how I did what I did after I did it. *laughs* I know things will only get more insane from here, but man, things are just utter chaos at times. Shit flying everywhere, those stupid robotic worm things are chasing after me, and somehow I'd dodging everything and staying alive. Awesome.

If you have the expansion pack, then yes (sort of). There is time attack which is see how fast you can beat a planet, Survival which is see how long you can survive (last time I checked, world record was about 5 minutes)... planet mode is in the normal game and expansion, and its just see how high of a score you can beat a planet with... similar to time attack.

Few other modes in the expansion pack, but they arent quite as short burst. Well maybe Bomber is, but I'm just not a big fan of it.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
shidoshi said:
Planet mode is what you're looking for, try to beat highscores and times of people on your friends list. Single Player add-on is something you'll also want for more short burst fun modes, and it's well worth the price of admission.

epmode

shidoshi said:
This was my big beef with SSHD. Before the expansion.

Endless mode is so awesome. The difficulty ramps up MUCH faster than in the main arcade mode.

And no, Planet Mode isn't as good. The difficulty level just isn't there.

joelseph

My current custom

First Rebirth - Modeselektor
Patrick122 - Mr Oizo
From Disco to: Disco - Dirk Leyer's Love Mix
Is It All Over My Face? - Loose Joints
Testorosa - SebstiAn Remix

joelseph

These questions have probably allready been asked, please excuse me.

In Endless mode:

Will the tanker with the bombs eventually disappear if not blown up in a set time?

Is there a benefit to knocking the tanks off the tanker and not exploding them?

If you leave a piece to degrade will it eventuallly degrade into points?

Can points disappear or will they float around until you pick them up?

Is there a trick to getting shields besides harvesting with the right gun and getting lucky and being quick?

Beatbox

alien from planet Highscore
joelseph said:
Will the tanker with the bombs eventually disappear if not blown up in a set time?

Doesn't seem like they do in Endless mode.

joelseph said:
Is there a benefit to knocking the tanks off the tanker and not exploding them?

In any mode with point icons - boosting through the bombs first and then points icons will count the bombs as a multiplyer (but you don't get extra bombs or anything)

For instance - Boosting through 3 points icons:

2X 3X 4X

Boosting through 2 bombs then a points icon:
Bomb - Bomb - 4X Points

joelseph said:
If you leave a piece to degrade will it eventuallly degrade into points?

Yep.

joelseph said:
Can points disappear or will they float around until you pick them up?

They eventually disappear in all modes.

joelseph said:
Is there a trick to getting shields besides harvesting with the right gun and getting lucky and being quick?

If you don't have a shield, and a "player" icon comes up - let it degrade into a shield. Worthwhile in most modes.

JoeBroni

Neo Member
Just bought the add-on and fired up Endless...I don't remember much after that. When I came to I was sitting on the game over screen, naked head to toe, and sitting in a pool of what I hope is my own drool.

OMG so awesome.

tha_con

Banned
28 Mil, ranked like 68. Can't wait until tomorrow when I'm 274.

Queeg, your score was SO close...yet so damn far. It was like the game was laughing at me, saying "no...you won't get it"

Edit: Also, it was odd. I tried numerous times to get past 9 Million, then 12 million...then, I was playing and died, looked up, and shat myself when I realized I had hit 20 Million. HOW?!

This game is amazing, it brings out focus you didn't even know you had. THE FORCE!!

tha_con

Banned
g35twinturbo said:
yeah, I was on a roll then they sent 4 waves the of red triangles. :(

Yea, it's crazy.

I'm just amazed when I just see these waves keep coming and coming.

I also managed to break a mil on Bomber mode, and stay alive for about 2 minutes in survival. MORE.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
You know, I can handle the planetwide waves of red pyramids now, I've figured out how to do it with minimal bomb spamming.

It's when they bombard the planet with the red pyramids AND THEN hit you with a shower of the ice meteors AT THE SAME DAMN TIME, I just don't understand how you're supposed to survive that.

mollipen

Maybe a REALLY stupid question, but what exactly brings out the bosses to each phase of a planet in arcade mode? I thought it was just blowing up all of the larger chunks during a certain section, but a few times now right at the beginning of the first planet, I've had the first boss group come out after only one huge asteroid has appeared.

Wollan

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
epmode said:
And no, Planet Mode isn't as good. The difficulty level just isn't there.
Planet mode was always about high score / time attack, not about difficulty of finishing it. I think you'll find it extremely difficult to get close to the high scores on planet mode though.

Wollan said:
a music attack mode which generates different levels from your own music
Oh dear God... This could end up being the best music visualizer world has ever seen.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Only shame is it seems that they won't include the online co-op in this expansion. I know it must be tough with the extremely twitch oriented gameplay but still I was hoping for it.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I don't understand why anyone would care about trophy support when it's all about leaderboards in this game.

test_account

XP-39C²
Raist said:
Well I hope "more" = online coop

I hope so too, but i have a feeling that it wont be included because when they mentioned split-screen, versus mode upto 4 players, the music attack mode (this sounds pretty cool by the way) and trophies i would think they would mention online co-op as well, but we can always hope :)

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
kaching said:
I don't understand why anyone would care about trophy support when it's all about leaderboards in this game.
On the other hand, some of the challenges in the game are so big that you deserve a real life trophy for them. It would be nice to have a trophy of some kind that you can put into the Home room that tells you've scored over 100M for example.

But in the grand scheme of things that's really pretty trivial considering everything else that new update will bring, and I'm sure the trophy update will be part of the next free update anyways, and not part of the Multiplayer pack.

RuGalz

Music attack mode sounds like it could be cool; hopefully it's well implemented. I never bothered with custom soundtrack but this will do it.

DrXym

kaching said:

Don't you think a trophy is in order for beating all the planets, or completing all of the planets in single sitting?

I know the accomplishment I felt when I did it. Followed by a horrible sinking feeling when the game said something to the effect of "You have been playing in normal mode, the game will now switch to hard mode". What the fuck - it's hard enough already! I died soon after and became even more depressed to discover 68 million is still crap compared to some other scores.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
DrXym said:
Don't you think a trophy is in order for beating all the planets, or completing all of the planets in single sitting?
Yeah, it's called a high score. :p

What I was reacting to earlier was mostly the fact that out of all the things mentioned in the upcoming MP pack, a few people were singling out Trophies of all things as the thing to get most excited about. The game lends itself so well to focused attempts at climbing the leaderboards that any trophies they introduce are simply going to pale in comparison to sense of accomplishment you feel when you leapfrog your last highest score in a particular mode.

I don't have anything against adding trophies but they just don't seem to be something worth getting all that excited about.

stephentotilo

Behind The Games
Hello fellow SSHD addicts,

I interviewed one of the main developers behind the game about the Solo Pack and just published it here:
http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2008/04/30/the-most-graphically-impressive-playstation-3-game-explained-and-expanded/

Parts that may get a rise out of you:

Ilari Kuittinen, co-founder Housemarque: We probably draw about twice the number of objects compared to the original game. We are pretty close to maxing out the RSX, but in our next game we will still push the chip more. Currently we do not use SPUs to pre-process the geometry for RSX — that will make a major difference. I estimate that we can further boost the graphics performance by 50%.
and

Kuittinen: We have been thinking of new and innovative gameplay modes to expand gamers’ “SSHD” experience. We have been experimenting with a game mode we call “Twin gun” mode (not disclosing specifics at the moment, maybe you can guess?) and how to make music generated levels, etc. Some ideas need to be saved for later use, so that we can experiment with these concepts more fully rather than put out half-baked versions. Maybe we’ll have these in for the sequel, who knows?

epmode

Marconelly said:
Planet mode was always about high score / time attack, not about difficulty of finishing it.
I didn't mean to suggest otherwise. I'm just more interested in playing a stupidly difficult SSHD very quickly, rather than having to play through until the second loop. Endless mode does exactly that and I LOVE it.

aww thanks Stephen

What has me interested is this part

how to make music generated levels

I wouldn't mind enemies appearing and react based on a song. but the problem I have is the type of songs they'll use and if they'll support different bitrates. but still, i'm interested and support them and the game!

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
seriously one of the MUST have PS3 titles. One my top 10

times like this you wish there was advertising for DL games.

Endless is fuckin crack

Top Bottom