• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix Official Thread

LakeEarth

I've bought this game twice on the SNES, once on the GBA, once in the Anniversary Collection, 2 versions in the Capcom Classics Collection, and then already once on XBLA. I just can't bring myself to buy it again, new moves and fancy graphics be damned.

Lake,

There's only a 3DO, PC, PSX/Saturn (Street Fighter Collection 1), Gameboy Advance and PS2/Xbox (Capcom Collection). Oh yeah, Dreamcast (which is probably the best version).

You should buy it. I want to say you use Honda. Honda got the buffiest of buffs with the headbutt through fireballs. When the game first came out, the GAF crew on PSN was pretty cool.

£35 for the fighting pad off of Amazon... I'm tempted. £35 pad for a £7/10 game though.

Is it worth it? Do I have any other choices?

Marvel vs Capcom is coming, and I do enjoy playing VF5. I'd probably buy SF4 too. heck, I might even buy UMK3 off of XBLA. Come on GAF, help me convince myself to buy this.

AZ Greg

Dead Man Typing said:
£35 for the fighting pad off of Amazon... I'm tempted. £35 pad for a £7/10 game though.

Marvel vs Capcom is coming, and I do enjoy playing VF5. I'd probably buy SF4 too. heck, I might even buy UMK3 off of XBLA. Come on GAF, help me convince myself to buy this.

Buy it.

Just think of the benefit you'll get in other arcade games where the 360 pad negatively affects you.

Plus you don't know when the controllers will sell out and be gone for good.

GriffD17

Dead Man Typing said:

I've been watching a guy on Justin.tv playing with a pad. He's damn good at it with SFIV. I'd say it's worth it if you're considering playing fighters a good amount of time.

Az987

all good things
I just bought SSFIIHD and a Ken Fight Pad and I suck really bad.

I cant even get through single player on easy :lol

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
I just got worked hard by some dude.

The game is mad fun when it's played at high level, in a balanced matchup.
Definitely more offensive oriented then SFIV.

Too bad that tomorrow's the last day I'm playing for a while.

FoxSpirit

Az987 said:
I just bought SSFIIHD and a Ken Fight Pad and I suck really bad.

I cant even get through single player on easy :lol

Pick Chun Li. Standing mp (blocked)-walk up a bit-standing mp-walk up a bit-throw with mp. Simply hold forward and hit mp for this. Also sprinkle with crouching MK. When you do that, do it with downback+mk so you can throw out a fireball after it.

That should carry you through easy :lol

Az987

all good things
FoxSpirit said:
Pick Chun Li. Standing mp (blocked)-walk up a bit-standing mp-walk up a bit-throw with mp. Simply hold forward and hit mp for this. Also sprinkle with crouching MK. When you do that, do it with downback+mk so you can throw out a fireball after it.

That should carry you through easy :lol

ill try that thanks :lol

I used to be pretty good at fighters although I was never very good at Street Fighter since i was pretty young when street fighter II came out

YO-Q

so I got to face akuma... 1.5 hrs later! couldn't beat him and turned off my 360 and threw my controller hard on my coffee table, that is the hardest boss battle I have every had in my life. it is ridiculous hard and unfair 4 hits from Akuma and you're dead but you have to hit him 15-20 times to beat him wtf? arrrrrghhhh damn achivement

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Shin Johnpv said:

Nope. Never. SF4's gameplay leaves the basic stuff of SF2 in the ground, especially the bullshit grabs and the likes.

Hey, SF2 is fun... but SF4 is much better than has more logical ways of playing!

Relix said:
Nope. Never. SF4's gameplay leaves the basic stuff of SF2 in the ground, especially the bullshit grabs and the likes.

Hey, SF2 is fun... but SF4 is much better than has more logical ways of playing!

I completely disagree with all of this.

They're both good. I like the ground games in ST more (which HD Remix is not). A lot of the vets were thrashing this game during Devastation.

It's too bad Capcom didn't support the game by patching it better and addressing the concerns of the players.

Having said that, it's still pretty awesome. And taken as it's on game, it's very fun.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
After SF4 I cannot go back to play HD Remix. I grew playing SF2 but it just feels soooo damn slow and boring after SF4. yeah

Enk

makes good threads.
SSF2THDR slower than SFIV? If anything that was the biggest thing I noticed when moving over to SFIV from Remix. It was weird getting used to how slow everything moved in SFIV compared to Remix, but once I got used to it the speed felt just right.

duffey

Adam Prime said:
After SF4 I cannot go back to play HD Remix. I grew playing SF2 but it just feels soooo damn slow and boring after SF4. yeah
Boring I guess is subjective but slow? I really feel like SF4 needs to get a speed bump as while I do like it it's one of the slower fighters that I've played in awhile.

Icarus

I started playing HD Remix after a few months away too... missed it actually.

My Cammy is back (got so used to the new inputs on HDR, I couldn't quite pick her up again the old school way in SFIV). :(

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
duffey said:
Boring I guess is subjective but slow? I really feel like SF4 needs to get a speed bump as while I do like it it's one of the slower fighters that I've played in awhile.

I guess I'm wrong then. I've only played HD Remix two times after owning SF4 and it felt slower to me. The game isn't as exciting to me without Ultra combos and FA. Yeah I just felt like SF4 played a lot smoother to me than HD Remix... I just prefer it way over it HD Remix, can't go back to it now.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
The one problem with HDR online is the Akuma users. There's a reason the char is banned for tournies, though it took the SRK crowd long enough to ban him. (He was banned in bet matches way before he was banned for tournies

Neo_ZX

I've been playing this like crazy since it came out and one situation I can't think around is how to tag Akuma doing constant straight up jump AFB on a cornered Zangief. Possible?

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
There's definitely something slow about HDR. When I first played 4 I was like "holy shit, this feels so weird and slow!", but now going back to HDR it feels slow in a different way. I haven't figured out what is slow in each game though.

Got my fighting pad, after it sat in the post office for a week.

I was disappointed at first with the d-pad, it's very soft and doing quarter circles was difficult. However, after some practice with Ryu I was pulling off fire balls and spinning kicks with some consistancy. What was instantly worth the money was having 6 face buttons.

The d-pad is great for other arcade games, like someone recommended. Sonic, Ikaruga and other classic games all play better with the new pad compared to the default controller or stick.

Thumbs up.

toneroni

Adam Prime said:
I guess I'm wrong then. I've only played HD Remix two times after owning SF4 and it felt slower to me. The game isn't as exciting to me without Ultra combos and FA. Yeah I just felt like SF4 played a lot smoother to me than HD Remix... I just prefer it way over it HD Remix, can't go back to it now.
yeah I can't really go back to it...

GriffD17

Dead Man Typing said:
Got my fighting pad, after it sat in the post office for a week.

I was disappointed at first with the d-pad, it's very soft and doing quarter circles was difficult. However, after some practice with Ryu I was pulling off fire balls and spinning kicks with some consistancy. What was instantly worth the money was having 6 face buttons.

The d-pad is great for other arcade games, like someone recommended. Sonic, Ikaruga and other classic games all play better with the new pad compared to the default controller or stick.

Thumbs up.

I have a much easier time pulling off quarter circles no the pad instead of the standard edition fightstick. Maybe I just need to get used to it. Been using charged characters and haven't had to do much qcf's.

Agent X

I decided to spend some time wth SSF2THDR online earlier tonight for the first time in a while.

What's up with all the quitters in this game? There was one guy who looked like he was doing pretty good for a while, but in the last round I got him dizzy and was setting up to have a perfect victory, when all of a sudden...DISCONNECT! I also had another guy drop out just as I dealt the winning blow.

Some others don't even let it get that far...midway through round 2, if they don't think they're going to get in on me, they yank the plug.

On the other hand, I played some really good players tonight. One guy used Ryu and took down my Dee Jay hard with a TRIPLE PERFECT. Damn, that was sobering. Honestly, that was probably the best player I've ever played, as I didn't have an answer for anything he did.

There were some other good matches. One guy had M. Bison (Dictator) versus my Balrog (Boxer). We went the full 5 rounds and he got the victory. Somehow my next match was also against him, with both of us choosing the same characters, and this time I ended up victorious. It was exciting because we appeared to be evenly matched and there was some psychology involved on both sides.

Another one had my E. Honda versus a very skilled Ken. It was a nail-biter for 5 rounds. I don't know how I managed to win that one--I sort of lucked out, as this guy had a strong mix-up game. A couple of fortunate Oicho throws followed by standing distant roundhouse got me out of trouble.

There was also a good match between my Dee Jay and someone using Dhalsim, who also evidently knew what he was doing. It was a challenge trying to break through his zoning tactics. I had a fair amount of success at times, but ultimately he stood victorious at the end of the fifth round.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Agent X said:
I decided to spend some time wth SSF2THDR online earlier tonight for the first time in a while.

What's up with all the quitters in this game? There was one guy who looked like he was doing pretty good for a while, but in the last round I got him dizzy and was setting up to have a perfect victory, when all of a sudden...DISCONNECT! I also had another guy drop out just as I dealt the winning blow.

Some others don't even let it get that far...midway through round 2, if they don't think they're going to get in on me, they yank the plug.

On the other hand, I played some really good players tonight. One guy used Ryu and took down my Dee Jay hard with a TRIPLE PERFECT. Damn, that was sobering. Honestly, that was probably the best player I've ever played, as I didn't have an answer for anything he did.

There were some other good matches. One guy had M. Bison (Dictator) versus my Balrog (Boxer). We went the full 5 rounds and he got the victory. Somehow my next match was also against him, with both of us choosing the same characters, and this time I ended up victorious. It was exciting because we appeared to be evenly matched and there was some psychology involved on both sides.

Another one had my E. Honda versus a very skilled Ken. It was a nail-biter for 5 rounds. I don't know how I managed to win that one--I sort of lucked out, as this guy had a strong mix-up game. A couple of fortunate Oicho throws followed by standing distant roundhouse got me out of trouble.

There was also a good match between my Dee Jay and someone using Dhalsim, who also evidently knew what he was doing. It was a challenge trying to break through his zoning tactics. I had a fair amount of success at times, but ultimately he stood victorious at the end of the fifth round.

Generally, ragequitting happens more in SF then other games. SC has its share too.

SFIV's disconnect % seems tto keep it down some.

STHD is fun when both players know what they're doing, and the matchup isn't horrible (about 10% of the matchups in the game are 7-3 or worse)

AkuMifune

Banned
Agent X said:
What's up with all the quitters in this game?

It's horrible. The last time I went on EVERY TIME I was winning the other person dropped. If I was losing I at least went down with dignity, which happened alot actually, because those who are left are generally pretty damn good.

When it launched didn't you get a win when the other person dropped? I swear that was the case, and not so anymore.

EDIT: Player matches are where its at I guess, but I was hoping to someday get that 100 win achievement. :(

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
AkuMifune said:
It's horrible. The last time I went on EVERY TIME I was winning the other person dropped. If I was losing I at least went down with dignity, which happened alot actually, because those who are left are generally pretty damn good.

When it launched didn't you get a win when the other person dropped? I swear that was the case, and not so anymore.

EDIT: Player matches are where its at I guess, but I was hoping to someday get that 100 win achievement. :(

Yeah, playyer matches are much better.

SNK games do it right on matchmaking- you get a win on a drop, other guy doesn't get a loss, but avoiding people actually works.

any1 still playing hdremix regularly? Cause id like to get back into it.
Gotta keep my sf muscle from atrophying (yea, i said it).

All challengers welcome.

GT: l3m0n Fresh

GriffD17

lemon__fresh said:
any1 still playing hdremix regularly? Cause id like to get back into it.
Gotta keep my sf muscle from atrophying (yea, i said it).

All challengers welcome.

GT: l3m0n Fresh

I just got it recently. Haven't been playing it much. I would like to get into it at some point though. I'll be up for player matches, or even tournaments, I'm never able to find an open tournament. I'll add you.

nickrempe

Neo Member
It's strange that this is the only game offered that keeps my adrenaline up to the max the entire time I am playing online. I haven't picked up Street Fighter 4 yet, I am afraid for the inevitable heart attack that will follow. All the matched I have played online, which are few, I haven't had very many quitters. I can remember one the entire time I have played the game.

I can understand what people mean now when they say they can't go back to HD remix after playing SFIV, both excellent games but it feels much more refined in 4.

nickrempe said:
It's strange that this is the only game offered that keeps my adrenaline up to the max the entire time I am playing online. I haven't picked up Street Fighter 4 yet, I am afraid for the inevitable heart attack that will follow. All the matched I have played online, which are few, I haven't had very many quitters. I can remember one the entire time I have played the game.
Yeah my heart flutters like a butterfly on drugs when I play any SF game online, my adrenaline goes into maximum too. Makes the feeling of a win so nice it's addicting, but thankfully I am not a person who throws controllers on a lose.

Diablohead said:
I can understand what people mean now when they say they can't go back to HD remix after playing SFIV, both excellent games but it feels much more refined in 4.

I've found quit the opposite, I think 4 needs a couple more iterations to work the kinks out.

GriffD17 said:
I just got it recently. Haven't been playing it much. I would like to get into it at some point though. I'll be up for player matches, or even tournaments, I'm never able to find an open tournament. I'll add you.

GGs

There was some pretty decent competition online tonight.

JCX

Just bought this last week for PS3. Haven't played much online though. I assume most of gaf has moved onto SF4 and BlazBlue?

entremet

It's very hard playing both games at the same time, with the two button throw mechanic in SF4 and the intentional slowdown in SF2THDR. I do miss the awesome Guile of HDR, as his SF4 incarnation is nerfed to hell.

Arde5643

JCX said:
Just bought this last week for PS3. Haven't played much online though. I assume most of gaf has moved onto SF4 and BlazBlue?
Nah, I think HDR will still get a good mix of people - SF4 is a completely different beast than HDR as much as it shares some of its zoning tactics and character match-ups.
So people who don't like SF4 engine will still stay with HDR since both KOF12 and BB have even more different engine.

If you don't like to worry about executing difficult combos to win, HDR's your best bet - although experience and memorization of what punishes what is really required to get to medium level in HDR simply because HDR gives each character very little life.

In SF4, one mistake can cause you 30-40% of your life, in HDR it can cause you 60-90% of your life.
In SF4, you'd likely not be able to defeat a foe with 60% of life with only 10% life left. In HDR, even with 10% life, you can beat a foe with 80% life left.

GriffD17

lemon__fresh said:
GGs

There was some pretty decent competition online tonight.

Yeah. There usually is. Compound that fact that I don't know what the hell I'm doing in this game, my chances of winning are pretty slim. You seemed to know what to do though, especially against that Honda fellow.

Top Bottom