• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Surge 2 announced - 2019 release

Orpheum

Welp can't say i expected this. Just saw it on their Facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/TheSurgeGa...Fo7V7PFzCq2SPtVcByLEZ1HQgwrqWQxQewSwM&fref=nf

Focus Home Interactive and Deck13 are happy to announce the renewal of their partnership with the development of The Surge 2.
With larger and more ambitious level design, more brutal combat, and an expanded limb-targeting system, you’ll need the even larger arsenal and array of abilities to overcome the new enemies and bosses!
The Surge 2 releases on consoles and PC in 2019.

The-Surge-2.jpg

ehead

OT: Did Dark (Netflix show) help with the game's sales? Were they actually playing the sequel since it takes place in 2019?

MrMorningMan

Neo Member
The Surge was amazing! I'm on board and no doubt will make this a release day purchase. If they keep the Bloodhound robots, I can see myself having nightmares again. Just hearing the honk and I knew my death was imminent.

Last edited:

Makariel

Surge 2 - Surge harder

I have yet to play part 1 (due to lack of time to play), but I found their attempts on improving on the Souls-formula admirable. The games seem a bit wonky but at least they try to change it up a little. It's just that I heard from too many sides that the game is hard for the sake of being hard, which is not what made Demon's and Dark Souls interesting, contrary to popular belief.

bati

It's just that I heard from too many sides that the game is hard for the sake of being hard

From whom? People who are terrible at the game? The game is completely fair and offers a decent challenge. I'd say it's easier than Dark Souls because your character is very agile and you can do some crazy hit&run dps with the dash move.

Anyway, very excited for this. Deck13 is now one of my favorite studios - Lords of the Fallen was legit, haters be damned. And The Surge was a pretty good improvement on that formula. They're one of the few western rpg developers right now who know how to make a game with good combat and good level design that heavily leans on exploration.

nkarafo

That's great. I'm a huge fan of this game. Love the art direction and atmosphere, it reminds me a bit of the original Robocop in a way (sci-fi and over the top violence). I also find the way you upgrade your character superior to Dark Souls.

The only thing i would like to see added is more music. I get it how in Dark Souls the lack of music helps to make the environments look dead and abandoned. Plus, you mostly explore ancient ruins there. But in Surge the feel is different and some music themes on some areas would be nice, not just boss themes.

Last edited:

Inviusx

Im glad the The Surge did well for them. This studio seems immensely talented and they deserve a big hit.

bowlofBran

Neo Member
Very excited for this. Currently going through the first one now and its' a surprisingly refreshing experience. Not extremely difficult so far but a good challenge.

I didn't jump on the DLC, is the Walk in the Park worth it?

D13Michael

Neo Member
OT: Did Dark (Netflix show) help with the game's sales? Were they actually playing the sequel since it takes place in 2019?

No. It goes back to a request from the producers of the show back when Surge was still heavy in development, like... uhm... I think 8 months before release? They told us that they'd love to use material in the show and we provided them tons of footage. They asked if we could fake a splitscreen / multiplayer scene. Sadly we did not have the time to do that. But we allowed them to create the splitscreen in the way they needed it. It indeed created some buzz we did not expect, but that's it.

very excited for this. Deck13 is now one of my favorite studios - Lords of the Fallen was legit, haters be damned. And The Surge was a pretty good improvement on that formula. They're one of the few western rpg developers right now who know how to make a game with good combat and good level design that heavily leans on exploration.

Thanks for the compliments :)

Marvel

could never
Nice, I need to finish the first. Loved what little I have played on my X.

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
Just like Lords of the Fallen i didn't liked Surge's art direction either. Environments were ok (although they lacked variety) but the armors looked terrible.It was as if someone glued industrial garbage on them that served no purpose. Combat was better than LotF but it still felt very clunky and slow to me. Controls weren't the best either. Sometimes it was impossible to lock on specific parts on enemies and combat became frustrating for all the wrong reasons. Unlike Souls games its difficulty also felt that it wasn't fairly balanced.

I will keep an eye on the sequel but i don't have high expectations.

cucuchu

I still have yet to break into Surge on my One X but I have heard nothing but good things about it so I will start putting any time I have wasted playing PUBG into it now. Happy to hear that its been enough of a success at least to warrant a sequel!

Makariel

From whom? People who are terrible at the game? The game is completely fair and offers a decent challenge. I'd say it's easier than Dark Souls because your character is very agile and you can do some crazy hit&run dps with the dash move.
The main complaint is that the controls are not responsive enough and there is little use for slow and heavy hitting weapons. If it's easier than Dark Souls it should be a breeze and over in a few hours.

bati

The main complaint is that the controls are not responsive enough and there is little use for slow and heavy hitting weapons.

I had no issues with the controls but I played with a gamepad, so I can't claim the same for kbm. Heavy weapons were very useful - dash move in particular was just obscene with single handed rigs and regular twohanders (and the heavy axe also has a devastating spin combo). Similar thing could be observed in LotF, running 1h attack with heavy weapons was monstrous there. For reference, I platinumed the entire Dark Souls series (and currently on WotN in Nioh), just to give you an idea where I'm coming from and what I'm comparing LotF and The Surge to.

Last edited:
I couldn’t get into this game like I thought I would but I am happy to see thr game get a sequel for the people that did.

Codes 208

While i dont think the first one was bad, it felt clunky and unresponsive compared to even the first dark souls. But it was definitely a step up from LotF.

Tbone3336

Gold Member
I am glad to see this sequel, I am having a blast with this game and am about to finish my first play through of the base game, then the DLC. The only improvement I would like to possible see is the ability to move while in the blocking stance. As is, I think I understand the mechanic as to why, with the counter system for stunning, but I would like to try it with being able to move while in the blocking position, maybe with a slow decrease in stamina or something.

Otherwise the original is great and I will be looking forward to the sequel.

ehead

No. It goes back to a request from the producers of the show back when Surge was still heavy in development, like... uhm... I think 8 months before release? They told us that they'd love to use material in the show and we provided them tons of footage. They asked if we could fake a splitscreen / multiplayer scene. Sadly we did not have the time to do that. But we allowed them to create the splitscreen in the way they needed it. It indeed created some buzz we did not expect, but that's it.

That’s amazing. Congratulations on the success.

Fbh

Haven't played the first one yet...but it's on my list.
Anyway, it's cool that it sold well enough to get a sequel. From what I've read it's a massive improvement over Lords of The fallen

Okay, guess I'm going to have to try this. The first one is $20 on Xbox live right now also for the standard edition.

And damn Focus Home Interactive is just going all out lately? This, Vampyr, Call of Cthulhu, Fear the Wolves (Battle Royale game by ex-STALKER devs) and then the Werewolf: The Apocalypse game coming (http://focus-home.com/games/werewolf:-the-apocalypse).

So I'm guessing they'll be making the next VtM: Bloodlines at this rate, eh?

Definitely has my interest and attention.

Last edited:

Unity2012

I really like the first one, even though I haven't finished it yet. I got stuck somewhere in the middle and haven't get back into it. Good news though. I am also planning to check the DLC once I get back into the main game.

xviper

i tried the demo of the first game and it was awful, even LOTF was way better, this studio makes the worst Soulsborne rip off

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

I'm playing this right now and I'm surprised by how good it is. Didn't like Lords of the Fallen one bit but The Surge is very enjoyable. One of the best Souls-likes by far, with interesting mechanics, a cool setting and good story. Looks and plays great too. I am halfway into the DLC and i like it a lot. Looking forward to the sequel.

Virex

Banned
I enjoyed Lords of The Fallen and The Surge(except the final area. It was shit). But I do look forward to The Surge 2.

Gun Animal

Wow, my impression from gaming outlets was that The Surge was a garbage fire, but given the positivity towards it in this thread I may have to give it a shot. Always happy to support B-tier western developers.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I played about an hour of The Surge and I had fun. My only real complaint is that I wish the characters had less dialogue. I had to skip the intro movie.

I like the combat and running around the levels. I will play more, but I'm playing DaS Remastered. I hope they have a character creator in the sequel and they focus on their level design and enemy placement a lot more.

Last edited:
Wow, my impression from gaming outlets was that The Surge was a garbage fire, but given the positivity towards it in this thread I may have to give it a shot. Always happy to support B-tier western developers.
I liked it better when they were called Middle Market developers.

Gun Animal

I liked it better when they were called Middle Market developers.

Neither term makes sense but they both convey the concept: Not Indie, and not AAA. I especially like to see Western devs that try to mold themselves after the well-regarded Japanese middle market devs like Platinum, Grasshopper, From, etc.

Neither term makes sense but they both convey the concept: Not Indie, and not AAA. I especially like to see Western devs that try to mold themselves after the well-regarded Japanese middle market devs like Platinum, Grasshopper, From, etc.

Is From still MM? I figured BloodBorne made them officially Triple-A?

TeeDoff

Neo Member
I'm in. The new gameplay looks really smooth, and being out in an area with heavy foliage is a nice change (I didn't play the DLC, so that may have had some?).

Just needs more bosses, enemy variety and rig types imo.

iconmaster

Banned

2.5A perhaps. Look at Sekiro. I’m sure I’ll love it but It doesn’t seem to be getting made on a AAA budget.

Anyway, good news on Surge 2. Haven’t played Surge myself but it’s the first Souls game to capture my son’s interest, so it gets my stamp of approval.

Last edited:

Gun Animal

Yes well, there's something quite special, for a time, about a middle-tier studio that goes AAA through the sheer quality of their work. And from the look of Sekiro and Deracine, and that they've seemingly rejected the option to pursue sequels to BB and DS3, I think they're still embracing the niche-budget approach.

Mr Hyde

The gameplay snippet looked really good. Looks like a solid boss fight. I´m hoping for more outdoor environments, better enemy placements (since they are quite bad in the first one), more variety in enemies and a better lock on-system. I can´t wait for a sequel to this. I am so happy that the Surge turned out to be a gem.

Tbone3336

Gold Member
I am all in for this as well. I enjoyed the first one very much, though the environments were lacking a bit due to the theme and story setup and the game a bit short, I still had a blast. I may be one of the very few who enjoyed Lords of the Fallen, even if the response time on the input controls was a bit off from other games of the ilk, including The Surge, once i figured out the timing, I enjoyed it enough to hope for a sequel to that someday as well, with The Surge's tighter controls.

Top Bottom