• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Surge 2 now available for PC Game Pass Subscribers

GHG

Gold Member

Pleasant surprise. Will check it out later this week after I'm done with RE:2.

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Played it at launch. It was a decent game. Better than the first in everything but the atmosphere. Lighting and overall atmosphere looks kinda meh. I gave it a 7.8. Worth it for the combat.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Should I have to play the 1st game to understand its story?

Kinda yes. It's a direct sequel. The first has a more obscure story, hard to figure out and the second starts off from the events/ending of the first and has a more generic story.

Last edited:
Tried Little Johnny for an hour and half. Can't beat him. Fuck this game.

Beaten Demon's Souls, have the platinum for Dark Souls 1, beaten 2, beaten 3, beaten BB, and beaten Sekiro. I don't have the patience for this.

Joho79

Beaten Demon's Souls, have the platinum for Dark Souls 1, beaten 2, beaten 3, beaten BB, and beaten Sekiro. I don't have the patience for this.
Don’t say that😢
I just got to him, got my ass handed and went to bed. Thinking I will beat him tomorrow. I get bored grinding bosses that are too hard.

Don’t say that😢
I just got to him, got my ass handed and went to bed. Thinking I will beat him tomorrow. I get bored grinding bosses that are too hard.
I don't think the fight is particularly well designed. The lock on system especially. Uninstalled it. Glad I didn't actually buy it.

Roberts

It's super weird, because Surge games are so much more easy than FromSoftware stuff. Little Johnny was a bit pain in the ass, but it didn't take more than 6 or 7 tries to kill him. Try a different weapon maybe.

Agree that it is a better game than first, except for the atmosphere.

It's super weird, because Surge games are so much more easy than FromSoftware stuff. Little Johnny was a bit pain in the ass, but it didn't take more than 6 or 7 tries to kill him. Try a different weapon maybe.

Agree that it is a better game than first, except for the atmosphere.
I tried a couple of weapons. I was level 35. The fight takes so long I just can't be fucking bothered anymore.

Okay, I couldn't let it go, so I re-downloaded the game and after another hour and a half I finally beat the bastard. My main problem was locking on to the two tanks attached to the pod. I could barely get it to work. Often times I'd parry the three pincer attacks, stun him, and when I went to attack the tanks, it would lock on to a random leg meaning the parries were for nothing. But I finally managed to get it done. And it's rather satisfying.

Still, if I had this much trouble with a boss this early, I can't see myself beating the game. I'm not sure this developer has the art of the boss fight down to a tee. I recall a boss in the first game that I couldn't beat until I discovered that the camera was completely fucked. Unless you could trigger it to change to a certain angle, your attacks do nothing to the final form. Fucking annoying.

This game is awesome! Liking it a lot so far. My only complaint about the series is that it's so lifeless. Your character doesn't even grunt or anything. Just "I am a character model"

Joho79

Okay, I couldn't let it go, so I re-downloaded the game and after another hour and a half I finally beat the bastard. My main problem was locking on to the two tanks attached to the pod. I could barely get it to work. Often times I'd parry the three pincer attacks, stun him, and when I went to attack the tanks, it would lock on to a random leg meaning the parries were for nothing. But I finally managed to get it done. And it's rather satisfying.

Still, if I had this much trouble with a boss this early, I can't see myself beating the game. I'm not sure this developer has the art of the boss fight down to a tee. I recall a boss in the first game that I couldn't beat until I discovered that the camera was completely fucked. Unless you could trigger it to change to a certain angle, your attacks do nothing to the final form. Fucking annoying.

I actually beat him after just a few times and whooped a bunch of more bosses. Quite addictive this game. Although but ugly.

I have now turned on the three tower things and snared the beast, but decided to leave the fight until tomorrow (it's just after 11pm). The previous boss (Captain) was a brief pain, until I realised that keeping my distance was stupid. He's just a glorified hunter, so I got real aggressive and panelled him. Wanker.

Had a couple of goes at Delver and decided I wasn't in the mood for a repeated, drawn out boss fight, so I explored elsewhere. Must have spent 3 hours going through AID Command and the hospital. What a goddamn maze that place is. Snagged the hook finally, and I'm nearly level 60.

What a great game this is. Until I rage again no doubt. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

draliko

Tried the game the other day, got stuck after the tutorial :D I'm not a total newbie at souls (finished them all, excluded sekiro), but something about this game haven't clicked with me. Probably i got bored of the genre, too bad because the game seemed well made, maybe i'll give a seconde chance down the months...

Just beat Delver on my third attempt. After you get used to his attacks it's really not that bad. Parry the first form. Easy. The second form is harder but if you dodge his charges and get close you can parry it, too. The third form is the easiest by far.

Little Johnny was waaaaaaaaaaaay harder for me.

Tried the game the other day, got stuck after the tutorial :D I'm not a total newbie at souls (finished them all, excluded sekiro), but something about this game haven't clicked with me. Probably i got bored of the genre, too bad because the game seemed well made, maybe i'll give a seconde chance down the months...
A lot of it is pattern recognition like the ones you mentioned. The one thing I'm not getting too much is how the battery works. The battery and health starting draining for know reason.

Roufianos

Game's decent but needed to be a lot better for me to keep my patience with it. Way too hard at points.

Last edited:
I've been making a lot of progress with all my spare time. Just beat Celeste. Not too bad, either, as long as you can parry at least to a competent level. Which is about as far as I would stretch to describe my skill level at it.

If you're a Souls fan you owe it to yourself to try this game. It's the best 'clone' I've played, and I've played a lot of them.

Beaten it. What a great game. Nice stat roll out after the ending. A mere 216 deaths. And it took me 43 attempts to beat Little Johnny. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Easily the toughest boss in the game for me.

91759262_2575153616084514_2564421708542902272_o.jpg

Last edited:

draliko

Finally the upgrade mechanic clicked with me, it's not very straightforward but quite nice once you get it. Fighting it's a bit more funny now (I was very under leveled and under equipped), I really like the level design for now (still blocked at that fuc*ing fatso jhonny, always get to 1 left and then he destroys me :( ) but there are some difficulty spikes that required farming (for me), and unlucky I'm not very good at parrying :) but for now a solid 8/10 game once you grasp it's mechanics

GymWolf

if you don't try to obtain the 2.0 version of the bosses weapons you are not playing the game correctly.

draliko

Damn finally i beat the fatso... and with great satisfaction i must say, but probably i'm overleveled (should be near 50 i believe) :D At least i can have fun exploring and can tackle with ease lvl 5 enemies. Now working on some sidequest and on upgrading the SCARAB (was suggested as best armor for 1st run). Anyways still having fun for now, too bad no fast travel from medbay :(

Finally beaten the game, was worth the struggle, some strange difficulty spikes, but other than that pretty enjoyable. Now i can move to nioh :D
Congrats. Which boss did you have the most trouble with? I found the final one really easy. With the correct selection of implants you can literally just attack him constantly without blocking, and still kill him.

draliko

Congrats. Which boss did you have the most trouble with? I found the final one really easy. With the correct selection of implants you can literally just attack him constantly without blocking, and still kill him.
Little jhonny for sure, delver also was a bit of a struggle but I totally fought him wrong (I was saved by this forum). Last boss was underwhelming, but I was probably op at that point, as you said I didn't even need to pair, I was just attacking and healing

draliko

Is it super annoying like every souls like?
I've got my souls/sekiro. thank You if so
i liked it, it has some interesting mechanics and some good level design. Some strange difficulty spikes and pacing, but it's a fun game. I played all the souls and liked them all, i couldn't get sekiro to click with me not matter how hard i try, this game instead got hooked me pretty soon. Every time a play a souls like i always say "this will be the last, i'm bored of dying" but in the end i always get back to them. Give the game a couple hours, and if you struggle somewhere ask for help (i was totally stuck because of my stubborness to not try different strategies), sometime a little suggestion can go long way.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
i liked it, it has some interesting mechanics and some good level design. Some strange difficulty spikes and pacing, but it's a fun game. I played all the souls and liked them all, i couldn't get sekiro to click with me not matter how hard i try, this game instead got hooked me pretty soon. Every time a play a souls like i always say "this will be the last, i'm bored of dying" but in the end i always get back to them. Give the game a couple hours, and if you struggle somewhere ask for help (i was totally stuck because of my stubborness to not try different strategies), sometime a little suggestion can go long way.
I've tried playing a first one and it was just russian souls really :p

Top Bottom