• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Surge - Gamescom gameplay

Theorry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Kp8zWibhIQ

The Surge is a visceral sci-fi Action RPG with a few original mechanical twists. Today we’re demonstrating the combat mechanics and crafting integral to the core gameplay experience.

Fitted with an advanced CREO exo-suit, balancing your core power against your implants and exo-suit upgrades will allow you to specialize in a huge variety of combat styles, thanks to the almost limitless combinations of exo-suit addons and dozens of make-shift weapons salvaged from the industrial complex at CREO. Finely tune your gear to match your playstyle, and to best suit the challenge ahead. What’s more, the metroidvanian levels open up as your core power increases, allowing you to over-charge doors previously too strong for your suit to damage, opening new pathways to explore. The CREO facility is vast, and if you want to find and craft the best equipment and weapons, you will need to explore every area for secrets and hidden items.

The Surge features innovative combat mechanics, allowing you to target individual limbs, dismembering the exo-suit addon, or weapon, that you want to acquire. Collecting tech-scrap and blueprints, you will be able to return to the Operation Center to level up and craft new exo-suit addons and weapons salvaged throughout the level. These can even be acquired from the world’s gigantic, industrial bosses. Most of what you encounter in The Surge was never designed to kill you, and most of the items you loot and craft were never designed for combat, but the combined strength of the exo-suit and near-future technology of CREO turn anything from fork-lifting addons to laser cutters into lethal weapons and armors suitable for diving deeper into the CREO complex.

Maffis

Looks damn good. I really hope they learned from Lord of the Fallen. It was a decent game but it had quirks. This looks really well polished, though some feedback on your punches on the boss would've been preferred. I'm definitely gonna pick this game up in the future.

Keeping my eye on it. I didn't play Lords of the Fallen but I heard a lot of mixed opinions. This looks more interesting in terms of setting. Looks good to me though.

Looks like fun actually (I am curious if there are some single shot ranged weapons as they mentioned a rail gun on the boss). I enjoyed the art style and animations of the rigs the characters had on.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Looks like fun actually (I am curious if there are some single shot ranged weapons as they mentioned a rail gun on the boss). I enjoyed the art style and animations of the rigs the characters had on.

You mean the rail gun that exploded?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
More like the Splurge. Looks great, is it really running 60 FPS on a PS4? Looks quite nice for 60 I must say. Gameplay wise it looks like a huge step up over their last game.

silva1991

I knew it was by LoTF guys the moment I saw the animations and movement. I hated that game so this won't be on my list. the setting looks cool tho.

eshwaaz

More like the Splurge. Looks great, is it really running 60 FPS on a PS4? Looks quite nice for 60 I must say. Gameplay wise it looks like a huge step up over their last game.
Button prompts are PS4 during gameplay, but Xbox/PC during menus, so who knows what they're actually showing here.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
That was pretty good looking. The gameplay looks fairly fun and seems like you can customize your characters weapons and armor a decent amount. That and the idea of power armor scifi Dark Souls style world is pretty cool setting. I'm keeping an eye on this one.

BeeDog

Looks quite good, but I'm thrown off by the fact that the ingame UI shows PlayStation buttons while the menus show Xbox buttons :p

halfbeast

Banned
I knew it was by LoTF guys the moment I saw the animations and movement. I hated that game so this won't be on my list. the setting looks cool tho.

oh, yeah I thought it looked familiar. the combat in LoTF was clunky. too bad, I do want a sci fi souls.

Corpekata

Banned
I'm not worried about the combat so much as if they try forcing their generic story like with Lords. Sounds like another set protagonist so not a good starting point. Lords' story stunk and was poorly done, so hopefully it's been minimized or they've improved a lot on that front.

inki

Count me in, however i'm cautiously optimistic. I didn't quite like Lords of the Fallen...

Exactly how I felt, but it's looking like they fixed a lot of what I didn't like about LoTF. I'll be honest, I'm a little excited for this.

laxu

It's a pretty good looking game but to me the setting really makes not so much sense. I think they'll have a tough time explaining why you're going melee in a world that has invented firearms unless those become available as you progress in the game. Considering it's a Souls style game I don't think they will, beyond something similar to what you have in Bloodborne where ranged weapons are used for staggering or dealing small damage from range.

Enemies seem to lack personality and I'm not really sure about that threat analysis bar thing. It seems to force you to fight a boss a certain way rather than having to learn its moves and then figuring out the best way to punish it. Seems like the robot boss only fires missiles when the threat analysis bar is full so an experienced player can't do something like bait the enemy to fire them.

The aiming at bodyparts mechanic is interesting but trying to aim at the right thing when fighting multiple enemies sounds tough.

Levelwise it seems like you are limited the same way you are in Souls games, being unable to jump all that much or climb things that haven't specifically been marked as climbable.

Orpheum

Exactly how I felt, but it's looking like they fixed a lot of what I didn't like about LoTF. I'll be honest, I'm a little excited for this.

Yes and i dig the overall post-apocalyptic-mech-theme way more. I'll wait and see and hope for the best

Been keeping my eye on this as I rather like these low budget RPGs. I liked Lord of the Fallen despite flaws and this looks like a big improvement.

eloxx

It looks so goood. I liked Lords of the Fallen alot. It's Souls mechanics with a twist. The Surge looks like it's alot more of their own formula. Can't wait.

Shredderi

I remember i have already watched this same gameplay demo at E3,it's not new.

Yeah expected something new :( But yeah the premise interests me. It doesn't have this sleek and shiny mech style but instead a more barbaric and primitive style.

Top Bottom