• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Switch is the paradigm-shift in gaming we haven't seen in a while

Status
Not open for further replies.

Realeza

Banned
Think about what previous console generations gave you. Perhaps the most relevant was the popularization of online multiplayer and digital content during the Xbox 360 era. What about the generation after that? Sharing features? Better graphics? VR is definitely something to take into consideration, but the technology for that is simply not there yet.

I feel like the Switch represents something completely new as opposed to the regular "same thing, better graphics" route we are used to whenever a new generation arrives.

Some would say Sony and Microsoft appeal to the "adult" demographic because of the mature content found on their platforms. This is funny because I think the Switch -- even though a system aimed to everybody -- appeals to me as an adult the most. There's finally a system that people who love this hobby, but are too busy and are not near a TV so frequently, can use to get their gaming fix. And unlike something like a mobile game, the experience you get satisfies that "itching".

When the Switch was announced, I thought the portability feature was cool, but not the main reason of my interest. If you don't have a Switch and think you don't care about portability for your games - I'ma fucking say it -- you have no clue. There's not a single game I haven't played since then that I don't wish could be experienced, as it is, portable. I'm playing and loving Persona 5. I'd fucking love to do Mementos grinding while on the bus to school. I'm playing and loving Injustice 2. I'd fucking love to be able to train my Black Canary out in this beautiful weather. I learned that every huge game that is primarily meant to be played at home on your TV, has parts that work perfectly as portable experiences. This was true even in Zelda. I wouldn't recommend experiencing it in portable mode, but doing Korok Seed-runs like that feels amazing.

Portability is a game-changer. If EA doesn't fuck up, FIFA has the potential, at least from a third-party perspective, to show it. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't care about sacrificing some visual fidelity if it means I get the exact same experience with the bonus of it being portable.

As the system gets more games, its value proposition is crazy. Sure, the extra stuff is expensive, but what comes in the package is definitely worth it. You have a great home console and a great portable console all rolled into one. In the past you'd be fucking happy if your console game had a shitty phone app to interact with, but now you are getting exactly the same experience whenever you are.

Next-generation of consoles usually represent the same predictive pattern of "better graphics, more features you'll never use", but the Switch actually feels like something that throws those conventions out and introduces something new (and something that works).

What do you think GAF? Agree? Disagree? You dislike positivity? Discuss

Toki767

The only thing complaint I have is that docked mode tends to cause performance to suffer.

I'm sure that'll be addressed in a next gen Switch, but I tend to not even play docked now.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Its pretty cool but the paradigm needs to actually shift before you can make this statement OP. Its only just come out and we need to see the long term impact of the Switch. Its sounds like you just really like the Switch and it clicked for you.

The Switch is a life-changing revelation that I can honestly say didn't just change my outlook on gaming, but on life itself. Who would have ever thought of this concept, taking games on the go. I for one never even thought it was possible, but the beautiful men and women at Nintendo came up with this crazy concept and it's been an absolute home run

God bless Nintendo for giving us this device, god bless

Cramoss

The Switch is a life-changing revelation that I can honestly say didn't just change my outlook on gaming, but on life itself. Who would have ever thought of this concept, taking games on the go. I for one never even thought it was possible, but the beautiful men and women at Nintendo came up with this crazy concept and it's been an absolute home run

6i7dd.gif

It's not that serious a nice comeback after that Wii u fiasco.. still it's early let's have this convo next year. Personally I don't see what's special about it alas good for the fans.

ryseing

The Switch is Jesus Christ incarnate. We get it y'all.

Not trying to shitpost, but the thing has been out for two months and the amount of hyperbole around it has been astounding. I'm happy Nintendo finally made a decent piece of hardware, as going back to my 3DS for SoV is painful.

MikeyB

Is it? Cause I just cannot bring myself to care about it. I don't need a portable console nor do I want one and other platforms have bigger, broader, and less expensive libraries.

I can live without Nintendo games and that's the only thing that console has going for it from my point of view.

Gator86

I returned my Switch right after finishing Zelda. It's fine. I felt stupid looking at the piddly little screen at home and using the joycons attached instead of my 60 inch TV and Pro controller. For people with a portable lifestyle, it's good. My lifestyle isn't especially portable friendly and at no point did i want to carry the Switch around. For people without a portable-friendly lifestyle, it's just another console, albeit one that's less powerful​ in exchange for more Nintendo games.

HoJu

lol

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Well new console has been going the "stronger console than before" for a long time now, and its always just a machine tethered to a tv. So being able to bring it on the go with little to no compromise is really a major step forward than say going online. This really shows the gap between portable and home console is rather insignificant now.

And considering mobile gaming is eating into console game market, it seems that we are having a shift in the paradigm. This is true console gaming on the go

I agree OP. I just played Zelda BOTW at a Firezone auto repair for 3 1/2 hours waiting for my car to be released.

I'm very grateful for this technology!

While OP is a bit hyperbolic
and these positive Switch threads are going to keep getting people upset
, I think saying that it's just a Vita or a tablet with buttons is cutting it a bit short.
It's actually getting big console quality games and the TV to handheld connectivity is new and creates a pretty great experience.

Well new console has been going the "stronger console than before" for a long time now, and its always just a machine tethered to a tv. So being able to bring it on the go with little to no compromise is really a major step forward than say going online. This really shows the gap between portable and home console is rather insignificant now.

And considering mobile gaming is eating into console game market, it seems that we are having a shift in the paradigm. This is true console gaming on the go

For premium AAA experiences the gap between home console and portable is rather huge still.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Ive thought about making a similar topic but refrained because some folks get triggered hard by Switch threads.

My main argument was that its not just a handheld or a console, its so much more.

Traditional handhelds you hold it and play. You can do that with the Switch, but then you can prop it up on a table and slide the joycons off to play freeform, or attach them to the shell to create a traditional controller. Split them and play multiplayer anytime anywhere. Go home and dock it to play on the big screen. Once again, use the joycons freeform, attach them to make a controller, or just use the Pro controller. The modularity of the system is brilliant and really allows variety in how you play.

Its not just the convenience of all your games on the go but the situations and options you have in how you play. Would be better demonstrated with a video but Im too lazy to make one.

Ploid 3.0

Steam controller API is the paradigm shift in gaming we haven't seen in a while. Console manufacturers, bring that type of stuff to your platform. Allow players to play the way they want with the ability to customize control mapping no matter what game is played from here on (with your new consoles). No more spaghetti code for buttons that get outdated when new controllers, arcade sticks, steering wheels, or keyboards are used.

Nintendo has been chasing the next thing in controlling games, and it's already here.

XandBosch

Why do people continue to call Breath of the Wild on Switch a port? The games were released at the same time, and the Switch version is the one people WANT to play, the one people will remember. Even if the game was mainly developed on Wii U, to me the term "port" typically means it came afterwards, like it was re-released, no?

Getting sick of seeing "all Switch has is ports", it's a dumb argument and y'all know it.

Lucentto

Banned

I completely agree. When I first turned on my Switch I swear I caught a glimpse of Jesus. I have never had that happen with a gaming console before. The Switch must have been sent by The Lord himself.

Thank you Nintendo for being The Lord's messengers, may god bless you all.

koss424

Think about what previous console generations gave you. Perhaps the most relevant was the popularization of online multiplayer and digital content during the Xbox 360 era. What about the generation after that? Sharing features? Better graphics? VR is definitely something to take into consideration, but the technology for that is simply not there yet.

I feel like the Switch represents something completely new as opposed to the regular "same thing, better graphics" route we are used to whenever a new generation arrives.

Some would say Sony and Microsoft appeal to the "adult" demographic because of the mature content found on their platforms. This is funny because I think the Switch -- even though a system aimed to everybody -- appeals to me as an adult the most. There's finally a system that people who love this hobby, but are too busy and are not near a TV so frequently, can use to get their gaming fix. And unlike something like a mobile game, the experience you get satisfies that "itching".

When the Switch was announced, I thought the portability feature was cool, but not the main reason of my interest. If you don't have a Switch and think you don't care about portability for your games - I'ma fucking say it -- you have no clue. There's not a single game I haven't played since then that I don't wish could be experienced, as it is, portable. I'm playing and loving Persona 5. I'd fucking love to do Mementos grinding while on the bus to school. I'm playing and loving Injustice 2. I'd fucking love to be able to train my Black Canary out in this beautiful weather. I learned that every huge game that is primarily meant to be played at home on your TV, has parts that work perfectly as portable experiences. This was true even in Zelda. I wouldn't recommend experiencing it in portable mode, but doing Korok Seed-runs like that feels amazing.

Portability is a game-changer. If EA doesn't fuck up, FIFA has the potential, at least from a third-party perspective, to show it. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't care about sacrificing some visual fidelity if it means I get the exact same experience with the bonus of it being portable.

As the system gets more games, its value proposition is crazy. Sure, the extra stuff is expensive, but what comes in the package is definitely worth it. You have a great home console and a great portable console all rolled into one. In the past you'd be fucking happy if your console game had a shitty phone app to interact with, but now you are getting exactly the same experience whenever you are.

Next-generation of consoles usually represent the same predictive pattern of "better graphics, more features you'll never use", but the Switch actually feels like something that throws those conventions out and introduces something new (and something that works).

What do you think GAF? Agree? Disagree? You dislike positivity? Discuss

EA will fuck it up and Switch is getting the legacy edition. And then they can say Switch owners won't support 3rd party

Kieli

Beautiful.

*sheds tears*

Fanuilos

I'm not sure it's a paradigm shift since the idea has been floated in various forms. The difference is that Nintendo is the first to fully invest in the hybrid concept. Other forms have been plagued by a mixture of a lack of games, practicality, and limited portability. It isn't even the first time Nintendo has tackled the concept. The Super Game Boy, Game Boy Player, GCN/GBA link, and Wii U are examples of this. In many ways the Switch is the natural conclusion of all those ideas. I don't think the Switch is a fundamental change in Nintendo's hardware/software process but rather something they've been working towards for a while now.

If you don't have a Switch and think you don't care about portability for your games - I'ma fucking say it -- you have no clue.

It's not that I think that I don't care about portability. I know I don't care about portability. And no amount of hyperbole (that borders on sales pitching) from Nintendo fanatics is going to change that.

Amen.

LMAO, I almost spilled my beer reading this.

The Switch is Jesus Christ incarnate. We get it y'all.

Not trying to shitpost, but the thing has been out for two months and the amount of hyperbole around it has been astounding. I'm happy Nintendo finally made a decent piece of hardware, as going back to my 3DS for SoV is painful.

You're not shit-posting. I 100% agree with you. This is the reason why there are equally strong reactions on the opposite side, which Nintendo fanatics mistake as persecution.

VanWinkle

I love the concept. The problem for me is all of the functionality and features that are NOT here that are console mainstays. Nintendo has made people have to choose between a feature-full software experience (PS4/XB1) or a unique hardware experience (Switch). It would be nice to have both.

And yeah, console style games work great on a powerful handheld. Its the best thing about the Switch. I adore playing Mario Kart 8 anywhere. I remember having to defend the Vita constantly from Nintendo fanboys who said nobody wants to play console style games on a handheld.

True Fire

I'm playing and loving Persona 5. I'd fucking love to do Mementos grinding while on the bus to school. I'm playing and loving Injustice 2. I'd fucking love to be able to train my Black Canary out in this beautiful weather.

Oh boy, another "why isn't every game on Switch?" thread.

Portability isn't a game changer. It's a (late) reaction to the mobile revolution. The real game changer is going to be GAMES, first and foremost, and Nintendo needs to step up to the plate and deliver.

De_Legend

Banned
Ive thought about making a similar topic but refrained because some folks get triggered hard by Switch threads.

My main argument was that its not just a handheld or a console, its so much more.

Traditional handhelds you hold it and play. You can do that with the Switch, but then you can prop it up on a table and slide the joycons off to play freeform, or attach them to the shell to create a traditional controller. Split them and play multiplayer anytime anywhere. Go home and dock it to play on the big screen. Once again, use the joycons freeform, attach them to make a controller, or just use the Pro controller. The modularity of the system is brilliant and really allows variety in how you play.

Its not just the convenience of all your games on the go but the situations and options you have in how you play. Would be better demonstrated with a video but Im too lazy to make one.

It's pretty much life mate, follow the light.

nelchaar

I've posted this on gaf before, but it really applies to almost every single Nintendo thread on here: One day, I want to love a woman and be as devoted to her as some of you here on gaf are to Nintendo. It would be incredible to be completely in denial and oblivious to any faults my partner has.

Pein

Banned
It's like you've never heard of any portable game system ever before. OP you serious for real? What's really brought out these thoughts? Portable Zelda and Mario kart?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom