• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Switch is the paradigm-shift in gaming we haven't seen in a while

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaanyboi

Banned
What paradigm has shifted?

The thing is selling well and people like it... Is there some more to it than that? Maybe wait for the industry to actually react first....

Neff

Not trying to shitpost, but the thing has been out for two months and the amount of hyperbole around it has been astounding.

Well, maybe that's the point to take away from this. The hype is persistent and very real, one way or another.

It's like you've never heard of any portable game system ever before. OP you serious for real?

In fairness, Switch is doing a few things no portable has done before.

Gator86

Ive thought about making a similar topic but refrained because some folks get triggered hard by Switch threads.

My main argument was that its not just a handheld or a console, its so much more.

Traditional handhelds you hold it and play. You can do that with the Switch, but then you can prop it up on a table and slide the joycons off to play freeform, or attach them to the shell to create a traditional controller. Split them and play multiplayer anytime anywhere. Go home and dock it to play on the big screen. Once again, use the joycons freeform, attach them to make a controller, or just use the Pro controller. The modularity of the system is brilliant and really allows variety in how you play.

Its not just the convenience of all your games on the go but the situations and options you have in how you play. Would be better demonstrated with a video but Im too lazy to make one.

It's really not. It's a handheld with TV out for the most part. I can't imagine the vast majority of people swap parts in and out while using the tablet mode to play Mario Kart with a bunch of strangers on the beach or whatever other contrived scenarios people come up with. For the for vast majority of people, I'd guess it's in the dock or used as a traditional handheld, especially once the launch period passes and devs stop trying to focus on games like 1-2 Switch and Snipperclips to take advantage of that gimmick.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
The Switch has to be responsible for the most thread spamming I've ever seen around here.

OP you could've easily posted this in the Everyone loves to love the Switch thread.

Pein

Banned
I've posted this on gaf before, but it really applies to almost every single Nintendo thread on here: One day, I want to love a woman and be as devoted to her as some of you here on gaf are to Nintendo. It would be incredible to be completely in denial and oblivious to any faults my partner has.
nailed it 🤣

It's really not. It's a handheld with TV out for the most part. I can't imagine the vast majority of people swap parts in and out while using the tablet mode to play Mario Kart with a bunch of strangers on the beach or whatever other contrived scenarios people come up with. For the for vast majority of people, I'd guess it's in the dock or used as a traditional handheld, especially once the launch period passes and devs stop trying to focus on games like 1-2 Switch and Snipperclips to take advantage of that gimmick.

It's a handheld just like you described.

True Fire

Ive thought about making a similar topic but refrained because some folks get triggered hard by Switch threads.

My main argument was that its not just a handheld or a console, its so much more.

Traditional handhelds you hold it and play. You can do that with the Switch, but then you can prop it up on a table and slide the joycons off to play freeform, or attach them to the shell to create a traditional controller. Split them and play multiplayer anytime anywhere. Go home and dock it to play on the big screen. Once again, use the joycons freeform, attach them to make a controller, or just use the Pro controller. The modularity of the system is brilliant and really allows variety in how you play.

Its not just the convenience of all your games on the go but the situations and options you have in how you play. Would be better demonstrated with a video but Im too lazy to make one.

Please tell me this is sarcasm. You're literally just repeating the basic value proposition of the console. Why would you make a video when you could just link to Koizumi explaining everything?

Manu

Sigh. At least this one doesn't have a bait title like "Guys, I can't believe I didn't realize this before..."

Usobuko

Banned
The best thing about switch is the handheld games will have a huge jump in production values, at least I hope so for Nintendo ones.

Anno

Eh...I understand why some people are super hyped with the Switch but to me it's a machine riddled with compromises. I understand why it's cool to be able to play games on the go but basically everything else is worse than every other possibility. I'm sure the system will do very well, though.

Realeza

Banned
Eh...I understand why some people are super hyped with the Switch but to me it's a machine riddled with compromises. I understand why it's cool to be able to play games on the go but basically everything else is worse than every other possibility. I'm sure the system will do very well, though.

No. Find me a better portable alternative and modern social system if you think there is.

mejin

I think people are trying really hard. Almost like a preach every day. But it's all fine.

I'd probably do the same if I had a PS4 Portable. lol

Vita did it first.

Vita did nothing first, portable versions of console games existed since the GBA, PSP if you're looking for something closer to PS2 level

Hope Switch actually ends up getting all the games, people hate on the spam of Switch threads but this was exactly what happened when the PS4 came out. They wanted freaking everything on their console, they were more obnoxious about it than Switch owners really

It's currently the best damn handheld money and technology can buy/build.

I've posted this on gaf before, but it really applies to almost every single Nintendo thread on here: One day, I want to love a woman and be as devoted to her as some of you here on gaf are to Nintendo. It would be incredible to be completely in denial and oblivious to any faults my partner has.

OMG, so incredibly spot on.

NeoCross

OP should've just went straight to the point and port begged Persona 5 from the beginning and left out all the fluff.

Marcel

I think people are trying really hard. Almost like a preach every day. But it's all fine.

I'd probably do the same if I had a PS4 Portable. lol

I don't know why Nintendo fanboys feel like they have something to prove, this isn't the WiiU after all. The Switch is actually a success. They don't need to stump for the damn thing everyday.

Anno

No. Find me a better portable alternative and modern social system if you think there is.

It probably is for now. I just don't personally think that is that big of a game changer. It's good for Nintendo and I'm sure it'll sell a lot of systems, probably even one to myself. But it doesn't change any paradigms. Playing games on the Switch in portable mode is still worse than playing them in any other available setting, so I'm going to play them on my PC or on a console unless I'm forced into playing them on a Switch outside of the house once or twice a year.

It's currently the best damn handheld money and technology can buy/build.

It's a good handheld, not disputing that. Just saying that isn't a paradigm shift and, for many people, isn't a massive selling point. It's a huge compromise in every other way.

Why do people continue to call Breath of the Wild on Switch a port? The games were released at the same time, and the Switch version is the one people WANT to play, the one people will remember. Even if the game was mainly developed on Wii U, to me the term "port" typically means it came afterwards, like it was re-released, no?

Getting sick of seeing "all Switch has is ports", it's a dumb argument and y'all know it.

Some people have become emotionally invested in seeing the Switch as unsuccessful or not special. Dismissing games as ports helps in reinforcing that narrative

hawk2025

It's done nothing that I haven't gotten from a PS4+ Vita combo.

I love it for that, of course, because I love a PS4 + Vita combo, but c'mon.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
We've been here before and will be again. Please use one of the other Switch threads for your revelatory praise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom