• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Switch Lite review thread (Nintendo Vita)

Bullet Club

2Ze6GJ0.jpg

bVcAPkj.jpg

Switch Lite is life?

VG24/7
Most exciting, however, is that Switch library in this smaller, more eminently portable form factor. I’m not sure I’d want one of these as my only Switch (and I’m still holding out hope for a ‘Switch Pro’), as I’d miss the dock, but there are plenty of players who rarely or never dock. There are plenty of kids who want a handheld. I’d still recommend it to people like me as a second machine for traveling, and even more to those who care not for the dock as their sole portal into the world of the Switch. It provides high quality games in an excellent portable form factor, and so the spirit of the Game Boy and DS lives on – but it also offers console-quality games on the go; and in that, it succeeds the Vita. It is, as I said, the best of both worlds.

Engadget
At first, I thought the Switch Lite was similar to the 2DS -- a stripped down, kid-friendly version of a more technically complex console. But that might be dismissive of what Nintendo has actually accomplished. The Switch Lite is refined and ergonomic in a way I'd never think of the 2DS. It might be missing key aspects of the Switch experience, but it's also the best way to play Switch games on the go.

Gamespot
The Switch Lite lacks the versatility of the standard Switch, which makes its appeal much narrower, but it does have some benefits over the original model for those looking for a strictly portable experience.

The Verge
15GbDtS.png

If you already own a Switch and love it, the Lite isn’t a necessary upgrade, unless you’re absolutely dying for a proper D-pad. (Even then, you have other options.) The improvements are welcome, but not drastic enough to warrant getting a whole new device. The Switch Lite is for people who are sitting on the proverbial fence: someone who liked the idea of Nintendo’s tablet but couldn’t quite stomach a $300 price tag and who didn’t really want to play games on a TV anyway. The kind of person who just wants a machine for playing Breath of the Wild on a plane or a kid who needs the latest Pokémon to fill those quiet summer afternoons. If the cut features don’t feel necessary to you, the Switch Lite will likely be a good option.

Kotaku
As I began, it’s one of the finest handheld gaming devices I’ve ever used. It’s larger, and feels more mainstream, than the quirky 3DS. It’s more rugged and earthy than Sony’s precious-looking Vita. It’s the sort of gaming hardware I wouldn’t feel bad just tossing in a bag unprotected. It’s console gaming in the palm of your hand, and you can pull it out during a rooftop party without feeling obligated to share.

WCCFTech: 8/10
The Switch Lite is a great secondary Switch, though for many the inability to dock to a TV will be an understandable deal-breaker. It's comfortable, aesthetically stylish, and plays games great, but it makes it awkward to play local multiplayer games and without detachable JoyCon it loses loads of existing functionality. A great gift for kids, perfect for those who wish to play a Switch by themselves in handheld mode, but for many, the original model will still be the better choice.

Last edited:

cireza

Banned
Waiting for comparison picture of the screens between the launch model (with Japanese manufactured screen) and the light. To see how yellow it is.

Last edited:

Vitacat

It’s nice, but no motion or rumble kills it for me. Those were a memorable part of Switch games to me, I.e. BotW.

In fact, will the Lite mean we see fewer games using those features on the Switch? That would be sad IMO.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
15GbDtS.png

Are The Verge retarded?

- Can't connect to a TV.

You don't fucking say. When clearly it's not meant to.

I think it's fair to list. It's still got the "Switch" naming, and a lot of people who haven't been keeping up with the details aren't going to know that it does not connect to a TV. It is a Switch that does not Switch.

Shouta

What games are not competable off the Lite? That's what the Verge said so Im a little confused.

They probably mean titles where you need to remove the joy-con to do something, I think. I heard there's an option in the menu to simulate that until individual games get patched.

Animagic

Banned
I still think a dedicated lite dock for tv play is coming.

All you would need is a redesigned dock and a pro controller to reinstate tv play functionality.

Vawn

Banned
15GbDtS.png

Are The Verge retarded?

- Can't connect to a TV.

You don't fucking say. When clearly it's not meant to.

Its completely fair to list this. Not everyone is as clued in as us and someone looking to purchase this might just glance at the key points and were previously unaware that this Switch does not "switch".

JimiNutz

Banned
I only just bought a new Switch with the improved battery.
I mainly play in portable mode but the reason I didn't hold out for the Lite is because the battery is worse.
I may pick up a Lite down the line as a secondary Switch for local MP but for now I think the new Switch with the best battery is the best portable gaming option.

ExpandKong

Banned
I only just bought a new Switch with the improved battery.
I mainly play in portable mode but the reason I didn't hold out for the Lite is because the battery is worse.
I may pick up a Lite down the line as a secondary Switch for local MP but for now I think the new Switch with the best battery is the best portable gaming option.

Yeah that was my reasoning for getting the basic Switch refresh rather than the lite. I do play primarily handheld so the best battery was a no-brainer.

Animagic

Banned
Got one of these arriving tomorrow for my wife. Of course I’m looking forward to playing with it a bit while setting it up

DiscoJer

I think a better comparison would be to the PSP, not Vita. The Vita had little support from 3rd parties (and for that matter, Sony). While the PSP did, albeit mostly in the form of PS2 (and in some cases, Xbox) ports as well as current games that released on the PS2/Xbox.

What's going to be interesting to see is when next gen starts, the PS5/Xbone 2, if the Switch continues to get current games. Once the PS3/360 game out, the PSP's new games started to dwindle (though piracy was also a factor).

Bryank75

Banned
I bought the 1.1 Switch today. I only play on TV, so the new one wasn't an option.... mainly got it for Pokemon and I picked up Links Awakening today but my son has his and a load of games I can use....

Pretty happy. Just need to get a Pro controller but it's cheaper in a store far from me.... so I'll wait till I'm there.

Top Bottom