• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Tales of Symphonia PC-Port is a mess!

Lingitiz

Wow. Someone should be fired for doing their job?

After all the pirated copies of the Witness, I'm not surprised a company is trying to copy protect their games. I personally want more Japanese games on PC and if it's drm or nothing at all, I'll take the drm.

Are you seriously using the Witness in this situation? Piracy on the platform has always been a thing and the conversation has been going for years. This is not a reason to use DRM, especially when only a few short months ago Zestiria did well! This is just idiocy.

I completely disliked Tales of Zestiria (for gameplay reasons, not the PC port itself which was pretty good) but thought "Oh well, at least I got a free copy of Symphonia so I guess it's fine."

It's not fine guys. It's not.

K0hnfrA.png

MUnited83

For you.
Oh, is Dolphin a pretty good emulator?

You literally can run it on a mid-range Android Tablet/Phone and have a better experience than this port.

Are you seriously using the Witness in this situation? Piracy on the platform has always been a thing and the conversation has been going for years. This is not a reason to use DRM, especially when only a few short months ago Zestiria did well! This is just idiocy.

I do love this weird ass idea that piracy started with The Witness :lol

Lork

3.These things are just saved in a simple txt file:

There's a fucking excel sheet for the localization in the game files and accessible at will!?

Saying this is a mess is putting it mildly.

Even WB would blush with shame.
I get all the other things, but what's wrong with this?

Also, I almost feel bad about this because they probably gave some poor guy $500 and told him to have the port in their inbox on the next Saturday, but... Check out Pack 1.

tuxfool

Banned
Why would it be a joke? I'm not familiar with most emulators. I collect older consoles and games. I have heard of dolphin but I thought it was a Wii emulator only. I haven't really educated myself.

It started life as a Gamecube emulator. Since the Wii is basically just a faster Gamecube it made sense for it to support both systems.

Eusis

Well, it was a port of the inferior PS2 version, so it was only 30FPS. However, there was some added extras, new costumes, titles, moves etc. So it depends how much you care about the framerate... Honestly, it's a lazy port but it's far from bad, you can also get the PS3 version for pretty damn cheap in the UK at least. I'd say it's fine buying it.
Funnily enough that probably would count as catastrophically bad by the standards people applied the Dark Souls PC port to. that matched parity with consoles and actually was a consistent 30 fps if your system could handle it (and most certainly could!), whereas Tales of Symphonia has diminished visual quality and a wrecked FPS.

Though, by same gen console-to-console ports pre-PS3/360 it probably counts as merely mediocre. Others like RE4 seemed to fare better relatively, but usually that process got a bit ugly then anyway, even when going from "weaker" to "stronger" consoles.

VariantX

I think i'll stick to my gamecube version then, seems like every port of this game falls short of that version for some reason.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Wondering if anyone in the gaming media will call this out and force Bamco to comment. Probably don't give a shit.

They haven't installed the widescreen hack.

Natively the game doesn't have widescreen support. Very few games did back then. :p

Can the game run in 4:3 on the Dolphin?
I only play games at the native/supported aspect ratio. Anything else is a deal breaker.

koutoru

Amazing.

Every time this game has been ported since 2004 it's gotten progressively worse.

EDIT: PS2 to PS3 may be the exception. but it should of been based of the GC version.

Falk

that puzzling face
They haven't installed the widescreen hack.

Natively the game doesn't have widescreen support. Very few games did back then. :p

He's probably asking why the screenshots aren't simply 4:3 like any sane person would have them.

Zafir

Funnily enough that probably would count as catastrophically bad by the standards people applied the Dark Souls PC port to. that matched parity with consoles and actually was a consistent 30 fps if your system could handle it (and most certainly could!), whereas Tales of Symphonia has diminished visual quality and a wrecked FPS.

Though, by same gen console-to-console ports pre-PS3/360 it probably counts as merely mediocre. Others like RE4 seemed to fare better relatively, but usually that process got a bit ugly then anyway, even when going from "weaker" to "stronger" consoles.

It's not really a fair comparison though. As you say it's a port of a game from the PS2/GC era, and I'd imagine games or their engines won't have even been programmed with ports in mind back then.

Not to mention, the said issues are due to the PS2 port being shit. Not because of the PS3 version being shit.

Either they'd have ported the Gamecube version and we'd have missed some content, or they ported the PS2 version and you get worse graphics and frame rate. Regardless people would have been unhappy someway, so they were between a bit of a rock and hard place in that respect.

Hence I say it's just lazy really. They could have put more effort into it. Redone the 2d assets(they look like shit even on PS3 at 720p), ported the gamecube edition and programmed the new content in etc. But they didn't because they didn't want to put that much effort into it.
He's probably asking why the screenshots aren't simply 4:3 like any sane person would have them.
Eh, some people don't mind stretched images though, and just play them like that anyway.

I know quite a few who didn't mind playing GBC games stretched on GBA for example.

Falk

that puzzling face
It's not really a fair comparison though. As you say it's a port of a game from the PS2/GC era, and I'd imagine games or their engines won't have even been programmed with ports in mind back then.

To be fair, the game was ported from GC to PS2 a lot more competently, FPS lock counted.

Could you imagine if the game came out on PS2 with broken localizations, an FPS that randomly jumped to 40 (lol) and leftover GC button prompts.

Those aren't even "devs don't understand the PC platform" issues. Those are simply objectively unacceptably bad porting issues.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Relieved that I didn't pre-order this but still sad it turned out so bad. Was hoping to pick it up at a sale at some point...

Zafir

To be fair, the game was ported from GC to PS2 a lot more competently, FPS lock counted.

It depends which port we're on about. I don't think the PS3 version is worse than the PS2 version by any means?

I was solely talking about the PS3 version.

The PC port is inexcusable which ever way you look at it.

Could you imagine if the game came out on PS2 with broken localizations, an FPS that randomly jumped to 40 (lol) and leftover GC button prompts

Edit: Yeah, you misunderstand. I'm not talking about the PC version. :)

Ganado

Danganronpa. All media released has been Vita resolution thus far.

Disgaea screenshots have been all 1080p, and pixel counting has backed it up as genuine.
I'm sure that they've confirmed it will at least be in 1080p. Dunno about the sprites tho.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
ToS is interesting in that every successive port seems to get worse.

Well, I guess PS2 -> PS3 didn't lose anything.
There are some localization mistakes on the PS3 version the characters in some moments say things that don't match the subs and sometimes not even close to what it says in the winning quotes and there are some typos here and there. lol

Nanashrew

Banned
It's so fucking disheartening to see the fanboys/Defence Force defending this awful port.

95793a97ca.png

They're downvoting all the negative Steam reviews too, my review is currently:

Tales of Symphonia is one of my favorite games in the franchise and that comment is so dumb. They should face the facts that Namco isn't treating the game that helped put them on the map in the west with any sort of respect, nor are they treating the fans of that game with respect for the shoddy ports during the anniversary and now on PC.

It was one of the best selling titles before Xillia. It's insulting what they've done.

Uraizen

Banned
It's so fucking disheartening to see the fanboys/Defence Force defending this awful port.

95793a97ca.png

They're downvoting all the negative Steam reviews too, my review is currently:

Shouldn't they be the most vocal and demanding a port that's at least on par with ports put out by IF? Damn.

EDIT: Oh Jesus Christ, I just finished reading that entire thing. Not even going to comment on that image and just highlight what I am commenting on.

Corpekata

Banned
There's a strong contingent of people that will defend anything Japanese port wise because they want more ports (or they're just general giant weeaboos that don't like seeing them slighted). Like in one of the other threads someone posted "why do you care about 60 FPS, it doesn't help in this type of game" which is like a copy pasted defense of JRPG ports, often for menu driven turn based games. After like 10 people laughed at the post given that the game was 60 FPS originally and is heavily action focused, they didn't bother to come back and clarify what they meant. It's like a reflex mechanism at this point.

Zafir

Can the game run in 4:3 on the Dolphin?
I only play games at the native/supported aspect ratio. Anything else is a deal breaker.
There's an option to choose in the settings as far as I remember.

As I said, there should be an hack which just renders the extra geometry for 16:9 though.

KingBroly

Banned
I might be wrong, but it appears to me that the PS2/3/PC version doesn't have the same kind of cel-shading that the GC version does, either.

There are a lot of ports with flaws that basically boiled down to the shitty but understandable "the porters didn't have the time/budget to do it right," but have no idea how the fuck people with access to the source code can fuck up a port so bad that it looks and plays worse than the original version on a fucking emulator with equivalent hardware. This is FFV/VI-tier shit where I'd honestly condone pirating and emulating the fucking thing as the more ethical choice over rewarding bad behavior by buying the port.
Amazing.

Every time this game has been ported since 2004 it's gotten progressively worse

At this rate if it's ported to PS4 or any other future console it will cause the fucking hardware to self-destruct.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Shouldn't they be the most vocal and demanding a port that's at least on par with ports put out by IF? Damn.

Denial is an amazing thing. On the up side examples like that provide decent entertainment value. =p

StereoVsn

Well, pre-ordering Zesteria was a mistake. Should have just gotten it through GMG and saved $15. It's mindboggling that they couldn't have an Intern run through basic QA on this shit. I am not even talking about the internal 720p resolution crap.

Bamco taught me a lesson, namely don't pre-order their games and get them on the cheap. I liked Zesteria too but heck with this treatment of PC users. Yeah, it's not an expensive port, but somehow freaking Fairy Fencer F came out just fine and that was under $20 on release.

Top Bottom