• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Tales of Symphonia PC-Port is a mess!

Nzyme32

This is one of the worst I've heard of in quite a while. Seems really lazily done. Aren't the other tales games alright by comparison?

Lingitiz

Which will be the next terrible PC port? Danganronpa? Disgaea?

place your bets

Oh man if it's Danganronpa the only memes that Twitter account is gonna see are gonna be pure hatred.

This is one of the worst I've heard of in quite a while. Seems really lazily done. Aren't the other tales games alright by comparison?

There's only Zestiria and aside from the 30 FPS lock that was ultimately unlocked by modders, it's pretty good.

Whoever at Bamco decided to put this in should be fired

Wow. Someone should be fired for doing their job?

After all the pirated copies of the Witness, I'm not surprised a company is trying to copy protect their games. I personally want more Japanese games on PC and if it's drm or nothing at all, I'll take the drm.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
To be honest, I hope nobody mods this to improve it and it gets the miserable sales it deserves. It's a shame we're at a point where developers are relying on modders to fix their shit for free. If not for mods, ports like this would completely flop due to abysmal word of mouth.

Momentary

Banned
I'm so sure that DotEmu had a hand in this, that if it's not them, I'll quit PC gaming forever.

Not really.

Akronis

Even more hilarious, but apparently VMProtect has been used in the past by RELOADED to protect their game cracks.

I can't even process this irony.

Aeana

To be honest, I hope nobody mods this to improve it and it gets the miserable sales it deserves. It's a shame we're at a point where developers are relying on modders to fix their shit for free. If not for mods, ports like this would completely flop due to abysmal word of mouth.

A lot of us already have it because we preordered Zestiria, so I certainly hope it gets fixed.

kagamin

And to think I respected them enough to give them the benefit of the doubt after Zestiria, thanks for giving me a reason to only buy From Software and IM@S games from you Bamco.

Mifec

Jesus Christ, Bamco. How expensive can it be to do a decent PC port of one of your most loved games ever?

Game companies are so freaking dense sometimes it boggles the mind. Poor PR people, I tell you.

Not to mention after how well Zestiria sold you'd think they would try to make this as good so it also sells, even if it's 20$, not to mentioned people who preordered Zestiria got it as an incentive.

Corpekata

Banned
Really, this feels like a port from a decade ago, especially with the weird DRM. Like it's not even just bad by modern standards, it'd compete in the days of Devil May Cry 3, Saints Row 2, and Ubi's Resident Evil 4 version.

MUnited83

For you.
Which will be the next terrible PC port? Danganronpa? Disgaea?

place your bets

I mean, Disgaea seems to have at least a bit of care from what they showed up so far. Danganronpa I expect to have the assets locked at Vita's resolution but apart from that it's a bit hard to fuck up i'd say,lol

That can't be right. A 1K file holding an entire game's worth of text?

Its for the main menu and options menu.

After all the pirated copies of the Witness, I'm not surprised a company is trying to copy protect their games. I personally want more Japanese games on PC and if it's drm or nothing at all, I'll take the drm.

That game has been cracked already afaik and that DRM is a 500$ DRM as it seems....

Exactly. The PC community shouldn't reward devs that make lazy ports by fixing it themselves.

When Namco Bandai announced Symphonia would be give free to anyone who pre-ordered Zestiria on PC, I expected very little. Somehow this is even worse.

MUnited83

For you.

Do you realize how stupid that statement is?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
A lot of us already have it because we preordered Zestiria, so I certainly hope it gets fixed.

Oh trust me, I'm in that same camp. Getting both games is the only reason I even preordered Zestiria. I'm just tired of these atrocious ports, and publishers getting rewarded for them.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Not surprised. PC is often treated like a dumping ground, to scrounge up extra cash. Seems like few Japanese publishers know what they're doing.

Aeana

This DRM stopped nobody. It's already been bypassed.

I have this wild guess that they've already ported Symphonia to PC since a while back, before the Zestiria announcement (or even way before that?). But they've been reluctant and waiting for a right moment, which is the Zestiria port.

MayMay

Banned
Looooool this is hilarious.. oh man and I actually considered pre-ordering Tales of Zestiria just for this.

Thank god I didnt.

Aeana

Denuvo should be an industry standard going forward.

That's one DRM that seems to have a chance of curbing "game preservation".

IIRC, Denuvo is anti-tamper, which would presumably stand in the way of fixing this shit-ass shit port, so I'm certainly glad it doesn't use it.

Falk

that puzzling face

I'm not sure they're directly comparable, to be quite honest.

Anyone who wants to play Symphonia on PC who's determined enough would have done so for a debatably superior version prior. (And let's be honest, that option is still there today)

It's not like this port is the second coming of Jesus.

It's just baffling considering Zestiria was a much better port overall. I'd say that Zestiria's port was very, very far above merely 'competent', actually.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
This is worse than Dark Souls 1 PC. Jesus. Namco wtf, man.

Dark Souls was the best looking and best-running version of Dark Souls, with the most content, even without DSFix. It was the best version of Dark Souls, even unmodded.

This is the worst version of Tales of Symphonia. Don't mention this port and Dark Souls in the same breath. One was a barebones but perfectly functional port that was by default the best version of the game. The other is a downgrade of a downgraded port of a downgraded port of a 12 year old game.

Denuvo should be an industry standard going forward.

That's one DRM that seems to have a chance at curbing "game preservation".

I guess Denuvo is just too expensive for a cheap port like this.
I do agree though, most AAA games on PC will have Denuvo from now on.

Shin-Ra

Maybe they had a target in mind for this version and reached it! You want them to spend more resources improving the game?

Top Bottom