• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Tales of Symphonia PC-Port is a mess!

NcrPu5q.gif

I figured it would be a port of the PS2 version but i didn't think they'd fuck it up this badly.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Not surprised. PC is often treated like a dumping ground, to scrounge up extra cash. Seems like few Japanese publishers know what they're doing.
Tales of Zestiria was a legitimately good port with minor issues that were fixed by timely updates, so the ToS port being this whack is actually semi-surprising to be honest.

I have this wild guess that they've already ported Symphonia to PC since a while back, before the Zestiria announcement (or even way before that?). But they've been reluctant and waiting for a right moment, which is the Zestiria port.

This smells to me like this was made during the PS3 porting process for development purposes, not being released originally for obvious reasons. I can TASTE the ALPHA BUILD in this on my tongue.

I mean, jesus, there's typos that don't even exist in the released PS3 version!

Meneses

Damn, this looks really bad.

Is there any chance this is actually some kind of error / faulty product? Like, maybe the upload process didn't go well and the files were screwed up?

This seems exceptionally bad even in bad port standards.

Aeana

Is there any chance this is actually some kind of error / faulty product? Like, maybe the upload process didn't go well and the files were screwed up?

I think there is a chance of that just because of the text errors. That part seems really weird not to catch ahead of time.

Corpekata

Banned
What's weird is, this game had a preload. It's probably the cheapest game to have one that I can recall. Why are they getting so involved on that end when they're dumping it out like this?

Could be. I mean these mistakes would be evident if any QA at all would have happened.

Vamphuntr

They probably did little QA on this. It has some glaring and not so obvious issues. In 2016 your localization should be tested to see if it can displays all the characters from the language your are officially supporting.

Rendering resolution lock is hilarious. So is crashing when alt tabbing. When the first post by the dev on the steam forum is that they know loading menus can take 30 seconds on some OS, you know you have a problem.

At least the dumb DRM was cracked so modders can fix this mess. I can't believe they went this route after their great Zestiria port.

MUnited83

For you.
Enlighten me.... or nevermind.
It has already been cracked. Shit is nothing more than a nuisance for actual customers. Even if the game somehow had a uncrackable DRM, you've been able to pirate a much better version of the game for ages. DRM shouldn't even be a concern at all with this damn release.
It has shitty DRM that is useless, and it accomplishes absolutely nothing positive for anyone. Whoever made this decision is a goddamn idiot.

It has already been cracked. Shit is nothing more than a nuisance for actual customers. Even if the game somehow had a uncrackable DRM, you've been able to pirate a much better version of the game for ages. DRM shouldn't even be a concern at all with this damn release.

:eek:
Which version?

Boogiepop

Wait, kind of off topic, but reading through this thread I'm seeing some people say the GC version is still best, so is the PS3 port bad? Was thinking about replaying the game in the relatively near future, and was thinking of getting that to do so because IIRC it added in bonus stuff from the PS2 version (plus I'd never played Dawn of the New World, even if I've heard it's kind of dicey). Would that be a bad plan, then?

Tagyhag

What did I miss in that pic? I don't see any typos. Am I doing it wrong lol?

There's both PS3 and Xbox buttons on the menu.

I just found that hilarious.

If only there was some Gamecube buttons thrown in the mix.

Zafir

:eek:
Which version?

I assume he means just the original Gamecube version using Dolphin.

People are saying it even has patches out to redo the UI, textures etc. (Although they're still a WIP)

I'd certainly just rip my retail gamecube copy if I was going to play through it.

This seems hilariously bad, which is really weird since Namco has been putting out decent ports of stuff for a while (IIRC Zestiria was QLOC?). I guess they figured this thing would not make any money so they just gave it to some random developers to port it.

tuxfool

Banned
Wow. Someone should be fired for doing their job?

After all the pirated copies of the Witness, I'm not surprised a company is trying to copy protect their games. I personally want more Japanese games on PC and if it's drm or nothing at all, I'll take the drm.

As I stated earlier, why would anybody pirate this piece of shit. You'd get a better experience loading up the GC version in Dolphin.

Wait, kind of off topic, but reading through this thread I'm seeing some people say the GC version is still best, so is the PS3 port bad? Was thinking about replaying the game in the relatively near future, and was thinking of getting that to do so because IIRC it added in bonus stuff from the PS2 version (plus I'd never played Dawn of the New World, even if I've heard it's kind of dicey). Would that be a bad plan, then?

Runs at 30 FPS rather than 60 and the graphics are a bit washed out. It's honestly not a bad version. Especially if it's for a replay, I'd say it's worth it for native widescreen support and the bonus content.

Tizoc

Wonder what modders can do with this game.
Grandia 2 allowed for various editing/modding options for the game.

Boogiepop

Runs at 30 FPS rather than 60 and the graphics are a bit washed out. It's honestly not a bad version. Especially if it's for a replay, I'd say it's worth it for native widescreen support and the bonus content.

Cool, thanks. That definitely sounds fine to me.

Eusis

Wow. Someone should be fired for doing their job?

After all the pirated copies of the Witness, I'm not surprised a company is trying to copy protect their games. I personally want more Japanese games on PC and if it's drm or nothing at all, I'll take the drm.
Denuvo does the job in a more friendly manner (or so it seems) and more effectively. If they really wanted to protect it they wouldn't treat this as a phoned in mid-2000s Japanese PC port.

Zafir

Well, it was a port of the inferior PS2 version, so it was only 30FPS. However, there was some added extras, new costumes, titles, moves etc. So it depends how much you care about the framerate... Honestly, it's a lazy port but it's far from bad, you can also get the PS3 version for pretty damn cheap in the UK at least. I'd say it's fine buying it.

It runs most Wii and Gamecube games really well.

I see, that's great! I should really look into it.

Is this a joke?

Dolphin is probably at the point one of the best emulators out there.

Why would it be a joke? I'm not familiar with most emulators. I collect older consoles and games. I have heard of dolphin but I thought it was a Wii emulator only. I haven't really educated myself.

Kirye

I completely disliked Tales of Zestiria (for gameplay reasons, not the PC port itself which was pretty good) but thought "Oh well, at least I got a free copy of Symphonia so I guess it's fine."

It's not fine guys. It's not.

Top Bottom