• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Talos Principle |OT| It's Serious Puzzling, Sam (PS4 port out now!)

Bought the game over a year ago and had no to start it (well...). Started some days ago and having a blast with it. Such a beautiful game with superb music and atmosphere.

saturnine

Eh? Talos tells you exactly what items are needed the moment you step into a puzzle.

What kind of items, yes, but not how many of them. Several times, I was stuck because I missed a connector tucked away in a corner. This is an easy mistake, some of the puzzles can cover a big area and the environment can be pretty messy with a lots of nooks and crannies.

Comes the end of the game, when you end up short a single item to solve some of the puzzles, and it's easy to get frustrated wondering "did I miss another connector/jammer or is that it?"

It's not huge, but it's an issue that was completely absent from The Witness, or even Portal if we need to make a comparison to a mechanically closer game.

Sciz

What kind of items, yes, but not how many of them. Several times, I was stuck because I missed a connector tucked away in a corner. This is an easy mistake, some of the puzzles can cover a big area and the environment can be pretty messy with a lots of nooks and crannies.

Comes the end of the game, when you end up short a single item to solve some of the puzzles, and it's easy to get frustrated wondering "did I miss another connector/jammer or is that it?"

It's not huge, but it's an issue that was completely absent from The Witness, or even Portal if we need to make a comparison to a mechanically closer game.

I suppose that's true enough. I don't personally recall ever finding it troublesome to do a quick scan of the environment first, given the high movement speed. The objects stick out against the terrain pretty well too.

Wait... have I ruined my chance of a platinum by simply unlocking the first puzzle in the tower? I haven't solved it but I did go and have a look.

That seems a bit unreasonable.

Blizzard

Banned
Wait... have I ruined my chance of a platinum by simply unlocking the first puzzle in the tower? I haven't solved it but I did go and have a look.

That seems a bit unreasonable.
I did this on PC too and it made me sad. I didn't want to replay the whole game because I looked as soon as possible.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
The dlc was a bummer for me. The puzzles got too large and out there. Never was sure if I had all the right pieces.

The main game however is unbelievable. One of the best games I've played this generation.

NoPiece

The dlc was a bummer for me. The puzzles got too large and out there. Never was sure if I had all the right pieces.

The main game however is unbelievable. One of the best games I've played this generation.

Did the DLC expand the story at all, or was it just more puzzles?

I agree on the scale of the levels, some are just too big.
Getting stars gets very
repetitive too, most of them require climbing stone or wooden walls
. Base game does a better job.

Ludens

Banned
What I need to do in order to get all endings? Playing on PC. I heard you
must avoid to complete stars levels, and I didn't touch one yet, but I collected 21 stars so far, I need to do C3.

Is there a way to check all endings using one save, right?
EDIT: Nevermind, I saw the backup feature.

zer0das

Banned
So I thought I'd wrapped up Road to Ghenna... but 4 stars are mandatory to finish. Fuuuuu.

I thought I had done pretty well to not look at a guide until the game didn't end and I was like "uh... they never told me what I need to do for this. How on earth was I supposed to figure that out?"

Edit: I'm a dumb dumb, apparently I missed one of the bots and that let me finish. Didn't need any stars. Yay!

mf.luder

Sorry for the bump but I just finished this today. Absolutely loved it and will play through it again maybe near Christmas. In the base game I finished all puzzles myself and some stars but in the DLC I struggled immensely for stars, needed a little help on a couple of puzzles and needed A LOT of help on the grey sigils.

My least favourite mechanic was record. I was able to conceptualize the solution but this ended up causing me the most grief.

I'm admittedly not good at "getting out of the map" and didn't like that many stars required you to find that little spot where you could jump.

Looking very forward to a sequel.

Elohim out.

Blanquito

Bought this in the PSN sale. Liking it so far. I have some questions I would love to get answered with just a yes or no please :)

should I be able to solve red block puzzles instantly? My thought is no, but I would love verification.

same question for star puzzles: are the star puzzles instantly solvable? To me it seems the answer is no as well...

Thanks!

Bought this in the PSN sale. Liking it so far. I have some questions I would love to get answered with just a yes or no please :)

should I be able to solve red block puzzles instantly? My thought is no, but I would love verification.

same question for star puzzles: are the star puzzles instantly solvable? To me it seems the answer is no as well...

Thanks!

Yes.

Yes.

Tiny bit of more info on 1.

Red are intended to be difficult

Just a tiny bit of more info on number 2.

Everything you need to solve starts is within the level though they do require thinking outside the box a bit.

Blanquito

Yes.

Yes.

Tiny bit of more info on 1.

Red are intended to be difficult

Just a tiny bit of more info on number 2.

Everything you need to solve starts is within the level though they do require thinking outside the box a bit.

Oh wow, OK. Looks like I need to up my game then

This game is seriously fucking awesome and if someone is reading this right now and is on the fence about trying it out or not, I urge you to do so. Back in 2015 I played Bloodborne and The Witcher 3 pretty much back to back and I remember finishing them and being sure that I wouldn't like any other game that year as much as I liked those 2. Then I played Talos and oh my God I absolutely love everything about it. It's a beautiful game.

One aspect that doesn't get enough love about it is the soundtrack. It's fucking awesome and this song is especially gorgeous. It reminds me of Stars of the Lid and that's just great music.

Blanquito

Wait until some of the later ones. ;)
Haha I know right.
This game is seriously fucking awesome and if someone is reading this right now and is on the fence about trying it out or not, I urge you to do so. Back in 2015 I played Bloodborne and The Witcher 3 pretty much back to back and I remember finishing them and being sure that I wouldn't like any other game that year as much as I liked those 2. Then I played Talos and oh my God I absolutely love everything about it. It's a beautiful game.

One aspect that doesn't get enough love about it is the soundtrack. It's fucking awesome and this song is especially gorgeous. It reminds me of Stars of the Lid and that's just great music.

Yeah, I'm already listening to the sound track. I enjoy it quite a bit. (Also the soundtrack for everybody's gone to the rapture)

BHK3

Banned
Oh wow, OK. Looks like I need to up my game then

I highly recommend beating the game first before going for any stars. Some of them require rules that were not taught to you yet, once you've learned and seen all the game has to show you, you can be ready to literally throw all of that away when attempting to go for stars.

Blanquito

It's interesting, now that I know I can do it now, I've been able to go back and solve the ones that I couldn't before. It's all about saying you can do it ;)

Top Bottom