• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Talos Principle |OT| It's Serious Puzzling, Sam (PS4 port out now!)

Inkwell

Banned
The dlc was great. Having finished everything, I think it was the perfect length too. Ending was a little disappointing, but to be quite honest I wasn't even expecting much of a story. I feel like the stars were done much better this time around. I like that some had multiple solutions.

Aaron D.

The new puzzles have made me start a new base game, so while I sit confused about the new puzzles, I run through the original like clockwork with the Serious Sam narration turned on. That's one of the coolest free DLCs I've ever gotten, ha.

Yeah, first I thought the Sam narration would just be him reading Elohim's script. Then I tried it for myself and realized it was a complete rewrite with Sam cracking jokes as only he knows how.

It's so funny to go back through the original content while being trolled hard by Serious Sam.

Blizzard

Banned
Since I need to play through the base game's puzzles again anyway, I'll definitely have to try that voiceover instead. It should make for some variety.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I need a hint for the Collidinng Beams star...

Spoiler the answer: do you need to leave one beam redirect on the button?

Edit: whoa, never mind.
I had a look outside and found a block...

Finished up the four puzzle areas with all stars without guides or spoilers, and got an ending...

...had to resort to a guide to figure out where to go to get to the star level after repeatedly overlooking the correct island. Face sitting squarely in palm.

Arkanius

Just finished the game. Got all sigils and stars.
A bit disappointed on the ending for unlocking everything...

But loved the game, the themes, the puzzles. What an enjoyable game. Despite playing it in 2015, it's probably my 2014 GOTY

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Double Trouble and Small Space Big Solution are killing me.

I just can't see how Double Trouble is even possible given the tools at hand, unless there's a gun behaviour I've totally overlooked.

Despite managing to get all the stars in worlds one, three and four, I can't even get ONE star in world two. I'm glad they let me into the bonus level with a few fewer stars than are available.

Sciz

I just can't see how Double Trouble is even possible given the tools at hand, unless there's a gun behaviour I've totally overlooked.

Minor hint:
It's not gun behavior you should think about, it's jammer behavior.

Hint:
This is one of those puzzles like the hexahedron on a drone thing, where familiar mechanics interact in slightly more complex ways than the game has previously let on. Jammers are simple devices that only turn on and off, but setting them up isn't the only way to toggle them between those two states.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Minor hint:
It's not gun behavior you should think about, it's jammer behavior.

Hint:
This is one of those puzzles like the hexahedron on a drone thing, where familiar mechanics interact in slightly more complex ways than the game has previously let on. Jammers are simple devices that only turn on and off, but setting them up isn't the only way to toggle them between those two states.
That first hint was enough to push me over the edge when I sat down to try again a moment ago. One more Tetris piece left! I think I have the general idea down for Small Space Big Solution (probably
setting up some gates that alternate on and off
) but getting the third laser-redirect is a challenge. Edit: I was way overthinking the first part of the puzzle!

LeBart

Ray Trivia is driving me crazy. I've never been stuck for so long in the base game (outside of stars).

Hint?

Edit: I don't believe it... I've been stuck for 2 days, and I solve it within 2 minutes of writing this post.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I just found the secret
Serious Sam text adventure disk

Oh man, they're having lots of fun with the terminals this time.

Bumping this thread to remind people the PS4 version is out October 13th. The boxes have started to make themselves online:

1Kt3LL2.jpg

wouwie

Only a few more days to go now. I have been waiting so long for this game to come out on console. I wonder how big the game will be digitally but i think i'll buy the boxed version (great cover).

Sciz

Is anyone making a PS4 OT? I think one should be made so first timers don't get spoiled or such :X

I'd just been planning to have a mod update the title of this one, but you're welcome to make a new thread if you like. Probably for the best.

Inkwell

Banned
I'm a little worried about the PS4 release. I haven't had the chance to check the store on my PS4, but there's nothing promoting the game on the browser version of the store, and nothing on the PS blog announcing the release. As far as I can tell this blog post is the last entry about the game, and that was on July 30th. Maybe I just need to give them another day or two, but I want this game to be a huge success.

I was also wondering about whether we needed another OT for the PS4 release. Honestly, I think this thread is good enough with the title change. People need to start discussing the PS4 version here instead of the review thread. I was honestly surprised when I realized this thread was only 5 pages (double that for you 50 post people).

Freeman76

Playing the PS4, love this game but I feel a bit stupid playing it, got a puzzle called Deception and it floored me, up until then I was flying and I actually couldn't see a possible way out. When I caved and looked up a solution (I thought there MUST be a tool I'm missing) it was so obvious it made me question whether I can actually comprehend the designers brains enough to conquer their game. Portal and Portal 2 only gave me a couple of tricky ones that I had to come back to, this game killed me after only an hour. Next I tackled Biometric Equation (sp?) and I had the same problem again.

Sciz

The game will always tell you exactly what tools you need, so no worries there. The need to make intuitive leaps about what is possible given the mechanics provided isn't going away any time soon, however.

Majmun

No Ps4 owners currently playing this game? It's amazing.

I'm loving the puzzles so far. The whole world feels so mysterious and like one big puzzle.

Guevara

No Ps4 owners currently playing this game? It's amazing.

I'm loving the puzzles so far. The whole world feels so mysterious and like one big puzzle.

I just started it. So far so good.

Also: seems like the usual puzzle tracking stuff is handled well. There are signs everywhere indicated which puzzles you've solved, and which are left to do. I appreciate that.

Fermbiz

Gold Member
This game is a masterpiece IMO.

The only thing that has me a bit bummed is the lack of surround sound. Unless I missed an option where, this game lacks 5.1 audio...

PrankT

I just found out about this game and ordered it. Looks great. I'm surprised not many are talking about it given its recent release, but I suppose that's because it was already released on PC so the game is "old" now.

Jedi2016

I've had this for months on PC, finally booted it up and... it's completely unplayable. From the opening logos to the menu, it's in the single digits. I can't even navigate the menus at this rate.

i7-2600K, GTX-680, Windows 10.

Changing resolution and settings has no effect. I've refreshed the game cache through Steam, no effect. Latest NVidia drivers, no effect.

Is this game just fucked or what?

Sciz

I've had this for months on PC, finally booted it up and... it's completely unplayable. From the opening logos to the menu, it's in the single digits. I can't even navigate the menus at this rate.

i7-2600K, GTX-680, Windows 10.

Changing resolution and settings has no effect. I've refreshed the game cache through Steam, no effect. Latest NVidia drivers, no effect.

Bizarre. All I can say is to post about it on the Steam forums, which Croteam keeps an eye on.

Jedi2016

The stupidest damn things...

I start it up again, no change. I Alt-tab back to Windows to see how the CPU and GPU are doing, see if something's overtaxing them or whatever. Nothing stands out. I alt-tab back into the game, and bam... 90+fps in the menus. Mid-40s in-game now (1440p, max settings, not bad for this old card, IMO).

I don't know if that's a Windows thing or a game thing. I've had a few other games do this since the upgrade to Win10. Even Super Meat Boy (not exactly the most taxing game) ran in the single digits the first time I ran it, but every time since then it's running fine, 120+fps.

Blizzard

Banned
The stupidest damn things...

I start it up again, no change. I Alt-tab back to Windows to see how the CPU and GPU are doing, see if something's overtaxing them or whatever. Nothing stands out. I alt-tab back into the game, and bam... 90+fps in the menus. Mid-40s in-game now (1440p, max settings, not bad for this old card, IMO).

I don't know if that's a Windows thing or a game thing. I've had a few other games do this since the upgrade to Win10. Even Super Meat Boy (not exactly the most taxing game) ran in the single digits the first time I ran it, but every time since then it's running fine, 120+fps.
That makes me kind of scared to upgrade to Windows 10 just yet. :p It ran great for me on Windows 7 with a GTX 770 2GB.

Been playing nonstop

I collected all sigils in A, most in B, and probably 75-80% in C.

I want to climb the tower, but I am trying to advance the story with the computer, who has
slowly antagonized me. I ended up agreeing with him, and Elohim fears I have been poisoned. He tells me to keep collecting sigils to reach eternity

So right now, I am running out of puzzles, but I'm sure I can do a few more and have the computer talk to me some more. I feel I've reached a critical point in the story with the computer and want to see what it has to say next. I love the whole Garden of Eden story.

A part of me wants to finish all puzzles and unlock that eternity door, but another part of me wants to talk to the computer some more. Something's gotta give eventually.

The alternative is to finally give in to temptation and climb the tower, but I wont do that yet (please dont spoil it for me).

It seems like you solved your particular problem, but another WTF issue people might want to know about with this game is that it plays badly with unusual mouse polling rates. As long as I had mine set above standard I would get an instant slideshow any time I touched the mouse.

Sciz

A part of me wants to finish all puzzles and unlock that eternity door, but another part of me wants to talk to the computer some more. Something's gotta give eventually.

The alternative is to finally give in to temptation and climb the tower, but I wont do that yet (please dont spoil it for me).

My spoiler-free advice, if you want it:
Open the door first, then go for the tower.

Fermbiz

Gold Member
OMG I want to kill myself. I spent nearly 2 hours trying to figure out how to use the
binoculars
in B2.

I finally made it to the platform to use the
binoculars but written on it, it says I need a key. So I figured that I have to some how get the keys from the Higher Ground area.
After a massive mix of trial and error as well as just straight fucking it up where I need to rewind to start over, I manged to grab the
keys from the Higher Ground. I manged to jump back over the wall with out going passed the purple barriers only to find out the keys didn't work.

At that point, I figured I earned the right to look up the answers online to see where the hell the
key for the binoculars is.

Blizzard

Banned
OMG I want to kill myself. I spent nearly 2 hours trying to figure out how to use the
binoculars
in B2.

I finally made it to the platform to use the
binoculars but written on it, it says I need a key. So I figured that I have to some how get the keys from the Higher Ground area.
After a massive mix of trial and error as well as just straight fucking it up where I need to rewind to start over, I manged to grab the
keys from the Higher Ground. I manged to jump back over the wall with out going passed the purple barriers only to find out the keys didn't work.

At that point, I figured I earned the right to look up the answers online to see where the hell the
key for the binoculars is.
Thankfully those are usually close by. Otherwise it would be a massive pain (and it sometimes still is).

Fortunately they're completely optional easter eggs, though one is especially cool:
The moon, if you haven't already seen that one.

Fermbiz

Gold Member
Thankfully those are usually close by. Otherwise it would be a massive pain (and it sometimes still is).

Fortunately they're completely optional easter eggs, though one is especially cool:
The moon, if you haven't already seen that one.

I figured it was an easter egg, but I also thought it was a way to find the star. Thats why I spent all that time trying to figure it out lol. And yes, the easter egg was really cool!

Blizzard

Banned
I figured it was an easter egg, but I also thought it was a way to find the star. Thats why I spent all that time trying to figure it out lol. And yes, the easter egg was really cool!
While we're talking cool easter eggs, here are two other ones. I don't remember the exact level numbers, so general easter egg reference SPOILERS:

One level has a Pink Floyd area. I think you have to get on top of the spawn in a desert level.

And probably my favorite, in a level set on a snowy castle mountaintop:
There's both a way to fly, and a way to play an awesome Serious Sam song. There's also a Serious Sam enemy that you may spot as you're flying around.

Ambitious

I'm a bit surprised at the lack of posts in here. Figured there would be way more activity after the release of the PS4 version.

By the way, how come it's still not available at Amazon UK? It's only sold by a third party merchant (who doesn't ship to my country), but not by Amazon itself.

Guevara

This game is so good. I breezed through A block, B was good but not exceedingly difficult, C is hard.

Seems like the
time travel puzzles
give me the most difficulty.

Ok so I beat the game and did two of the endings. I am so proud of myself for collecting every sigil on my own.

I needed help with one, which the answer I already knew. I have to play it all over again for the stupid Solipism trophy though.

Running through the stat challenges, and starting the DLC soon

It's awesome how there are just so many extra puzzles

The allure of The Tower was great. The ending felt a bit underwhelming, but it made narrative sense

I genuinely admire the puzzles and gratification of picking up sigils.

Not as great as a game as Portal 2, especially when it comes to polish and presentation, but I really enjoyed the serpent and elohim

This game is so good. I breezed through A block, B was good but not exceedingly difficult, C is hard.

Seems like the
time travel puzzles
give me the most difficulty.

These annoyed me too. I just couldnt think straight lol

Im not the best at puzzles but eventually managed to get them all with patience, trial and error, and just stopping to think. You can do it! Sometimes I left puzzles and came back for them another day, and somehow managed to see something I didn't befor

Giving freedom with the order of doing puzzles is seriously a great thing, as getting stuck would have discouraged some people altogether

Blizzard

Banned
These annoyed me too. I just couldnt think straight lol

Im not the best at puzzles but eventually managed to get them all with patience, trial and error, and just stopping to think. You can do it! Sometimes I left puzzles and came back for them another day, and somehow managed to see something I didn't befor

Giving freedom with the order of doing puzzles is seriously a great thing, as getting stuck would have discouraged some people altogether
The sense of satisfaction with puzzles is really well done in this game. The BAM WHOOSH sound when you finally manage to get a piece is great, the tick-tick of door locks makes it feel physical, and the visuals when you manage to construct some elaborate laser/fan/whatever network are a nice extra dimension.

One of my favorite visual solutions (SNOW MAP SPOILERS):
It might have been for a star, but I ended up with a hovering block over a fan, a giant spiderweb of lasers going to maybe 5 different places, and a completely different area up a mountain linked to the same pretty spiderweb.

Guevara

Some of the later puzzles: I'm not even sure if I'm solving them they "right" way. Which is great.

I often end up with an extra un-used prop, etc.

Blizzard

Banned
Some of the later puzzles: I'm not even sure if I'm solving them they "right" way. Which is great.

I often end up with an extra un-used prop, etc.
There was at least one puzzle with multiple ways to do something, though I'm not sure that was intentional. On the level with the bridge and the castle, to get a star:

I very patiently stole props from the castle, climbing my way up onto the roof, and throwing them over the wall. I used these props to get a star. It was only later that I realized there was a much easier way to do it without stealing props. :p

Top Bottom